Spotted .........

i thought the fact he was under the influence had been well documented?

He did one. The gap between accident and handing himself in was too long for any testing to stand up in court.

He wasn't convicted of any offence relating to drink and drugs.

We can all put two and two together, but not beyond reasonable doubt!

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did one. The gap between accident and handing himself in was too long for any testing to stand up in court.

He wasn't convicted of any offence relating to drink and drugs.

We can all put two and two together, but not beyond reasonable doubt!

I get the feeling that if he were to take the litigation route there would be a million and one in front of someone on here saying that he was off his face on drink and drugs.

Which he was. :grin:

half of what was offered last season what can we afford what do we want for this season but here is a player no transfer fee involved proven goalscorer what else can we afford taylor smalley on the wing hughes allesandra upfront and give the strikers some service like the first half of last season

Please god help us not start with Alessandra against Stockport :shock:

half of what was offered last season what can we afford what do we want for this season but here is a player no transfer fee involved proven goalscorer what else can we afford taylor smalley on the wing hughes allesandra upfront and give the strikers some service like the first half of last season

Yes, he's a proven goalscorer but he's a fricking liability too. Gary Hooper, Freddy Eastwood, Simon Cox, Rickie Lambert... all previously nobodies plucked from obscurity and bag for fun. It's the way we should go too.

I'm not sure Hughes will recapture that early season form to be honest, it would still be a gamble bringing him back. We know he can score goals, but will he? He still got chances every game even towards the end of his time with us last season but he was missing sitters for fun, was that all down to his head being elsewhere? The only way I would take him back is if it's on reduced terms, ie. similar to what he was on originally (around 1.6k i've heard) or possibly and preferrably less. If we could get Abbott and Billy Clarke, I wouldn't even consider Hughes. Let's be honest he probably has maybe 1 more good season in him (if that considering how he trailed off) and there is all the baggage as well. Abbott and Clarke should be priorities or other targets of similar ability, Hughes should be a last resort, it seems apparent there are few, if any takers so we can afford to look around before considering taking him back.

I'm not sure Hughes will recapture that early season form to be honest, it would still be a gamble bringing him back. We know he can score goals, but will he? He still got chances every game even towards the end of his time with us last season but he was missing sitters for fun, was that all down to his head being elsewhere? The only way I would take him back is if it's on reduced terms, ie. similar to what he was on originally (around 1.6k i've heard) or possibly and preferrably less. If we could get Abbott and Billy Clarke, I wouldn't even consider Hughes. Let's be honest he probably has maybe 1 more good season in him (if that considering how he trailed off) and there is all the baggage as well. Abbott and Clarke should be priorities or other targets of similar ability, Hughes should be a last resort, it seems apparent there are few, if any takers so we can afford to look around before considering taking him back.

Excellent post. Exactly how I want OAFC to be thinking.

i may be greedy but i would like all 3 at the club next season, different options for different games.

however, hughes has gone in my opinion anyway....id be very suprised to see him in an oldham shirt again

it as been stated that contracts are not up untill 30th June, that also includes Lee Hughes. He is therefore still an Oldham player untill then. If no-one else offers him a contract,then maybe he will realise he is not the billy big boots he thought he was. we could end up with a proven striker for free, on less wages than before, and more commitment with DP in control. At the moment, we have no strikers to win a game.

Yeah. I got what you was saying after I read it 3 times later. Was a long sentence to digest :wink:

I was desperate to keep him in the window last season, because I figured there was no possible way we could replace him in what was then a real chance at a promotion drive. His importance at that time made him worth a chance on offering a deal for another year or two so long as it was well constructed. I thought at the time that that would be be by far his best time to get a deal, ieither from us or from a lower Championship club or even a relegation threatened Premiership side.

That moment has passed. I haven't seen many of the things in person, but I believe them. But more than any of the above, I have seen a footballer come back from injury and get fatter whilst playing every week. That isn't normal. No thanks, I was loyal to a great player for maybe too long.

Please god help us not start with Alessandra against Stockport :shock:

Ironic?

Lewis Alessandra left out at Edgeley Park in October and Latics lost for the first time. He got a recall a few weeks later and banged in a hat-trick against the league leaders. Rarely started again after that.

It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out against us in a Tranmere or Stockport shirt next season.

Last I read Stockport had auctioned off their shirts to pay debts!

Edited by opinions4u

I was desperate to keep him in the window last season, because I figured there was no possible way we could replace him in what was then a real chance at a promotion drive. His importance at that time made him worth a chance on offering a deal for another year or two so long as it was well constructed. I thought at the time that that would be be by far his best time to get a deal, ieither from us or from a lower Championship club or even a relegation threatened Premiership side.

That moment has passed. I haven't seen many of the things in person, but I believe them. But more than any of the above, I have seen a footballer come back from injury and get fatter whilst playing every week. That isn't normal. No thanks, I was loyal to a great player for maybe too long.

I think this just about sums the whole Hughes thing. He had it all going for him and blew it......again.

Edited by footy68

Most people seem to look at Hughes through rose tinted glasses. He was offered a contract in January....he didn't sign. He was offered on loan to Blackpool....he did not have to go, no player can be forced to go on loan. He's a bad influence at the club. It looks like he's not had any offers and is looking to try and stay. Once he's signed a contract with us what makes people sure he will perform. The guy does not want to be here and I think we're better off without him.

Most people seem to look at Hughes through rose tinted glasses. He was offered a contract in January....he didn't sign. He was offered on loan to Blackpool....he did not have to go, no player can be forced to go on loan. He's a bad influence at the club. It looks like he's not had any offers and is looking to try and stay. Once he's signed a contract with us what makes people sure he will perform. The guy does not want to be here and I think we're better off without him.

If you're told you'll not play again all season unless you go on loan to a team a league above what would you do?

That's not to say I'd want him back, just that you're making things too black and white.

Afternoon Lee, still going in the hanging gate in Diggle? :wink:

Who cares? if he bags the goals he could be the biggest :censored: on the planet

I care, a lot.

And if you recall back jsut as far Jan to March ish, you will remember how we plummeted down the league.

Hughes was a significant contributing factor in that, through a variety of incidents.

He didn;t even score that many, os no reasont to expect he would again.

:shock:

Good lord no!!!!!!

Ironic?

Lewis Alessandra left out at Edgeley Park in October and Latics lost for the first time. He got a recall a few weeks later and banged in a hat-trick against the league leaders. Rarely started again after that.

Last I read Stockport had auctioned off their shirts to pay debts!

Email I received from a director on the County trust.

Journos taking 2 and 2 and making 99999[/font]

There is a kit sale every year and old shirts are sold. We were due a new home kit this season so last seasons home strips were sold as they have been the last few seasons. The problem is the contract with Diadora is now void so we won’t be getting a new kit from them. I doubt we would have been able to play in last years kit even if it hadn’t been sold so we would be exactly the same position, it’s a bit of a nothing story

Ironic?

If he starts against Stockport, that means we have failed in the transfer market to bring in new strikers

I care, a lot.

And if you recall back jsut as far Jan to March ish, you will remember how we plummeted down the league.

Hughes was a significant contributing factor in that, through a variety of incidents.

He didn;t even score that many, os no reasont to expect he would again.

If it wasnt for his goals in the first half of the season then we would have been in a relegation battle

I dont care if hes a :censored:, everybody knows hes a quality striker in this league, and if he can bang them in for us then its all good

Shez couldnt handle him, Royle couldnt be bothered with him, but from what ive seen DP wont stand for no messing so if he has changed his attitude it can only be good for us

If it wasnt for his goals in the first half of the season then we would have been in a relegation battle

Important part in bold. If we could be guaranteed to get the Lee Hughes that played for us before Christmas I might listen. But I'm not interested in the player that loafed around for the remainder of the season - for any wage.

Important part in bold. If we could be guaranteed to get the Lee Hughes that played for us before Christmas I might listen. But I'm not interested in the player that loafed around for the remainder of the season - for any wage.

ive never seen any footballer come with guarantees, not to mention league 1 footballers.

if a deal can be done for a year, lets take the chance