Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

laticsrblue

321 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

• Yes
    • No - edit - He's gone. Goood Riddance :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. It seems clear that this guy was one of the main reasons why Shez lost his job. I think the other was Gregan with his bullying and drinking (opinions formed from all the crap spouted on these boards).

Also, it has been said the 20 goal-a-season strikers don't grow on trees (well, they'd be leaves if they did wouldn't nthey) but they are also not as rare as you might make out.

2008 - 2009

Cox Swindon 29

Lambert Bristol Rovers 29

Beckford Leeds United 27

Fryatt Leicester 27

Hooper Scunthorpe 24

Mackail-Smith Peterborough 23

2007-2008

Scotland Swansea 29

Lambert Bristol Rovers 20

Beckford Leeds 20

2006-2007

Sharp Scunthorpe 32

Constantine Port Vale 26

Varney Crewe 25

Porter Oldham Athletic 22

Hefernan Doncaster 21

Trundle Swansea 20

2005-2006

Eastwood Southend 25

Sharp Scunthorpe 24

Trundle Swansea 21

Hayter Bournemouth 20

Windass Bradford 20

2004-2005

Lita Bristol City 29

Elliott Hull 29

Windass Bradford 28

Boyd Hartlepool 27

Abbott Huddersfield 27

Parkin Swindon 24

Hayter Bournemouth 22

Howard Luton 22

Brooker Bristol City 21

I totally agree,BUT try getting any of the above on a FREE! Bar some bloke called "Porter"

The 19 loanee strikers with a negative goals tally between them might beg to differ there.

I don't seem to recall the story of 19 loanee strikers with a negative goals tally walking round Belle Vue Dogs with their tackle out or having their manager in a head lock...etc....etc.....etc... <_<

2008 - 2009

Cox Swindon 29

Lambert Bristol Rovers 29

Beckford Leeds United 27

Fryatt Leicester 27

Hooper Scunthorpe 24

Mackail-Smith Peterborough 23

2007-2008

Scotland Swansea 29

Lambert Bristol Rovers 20

Beckford Leeds 20

2006-2007

Sharp Scunthorpe 32

Constantine Port Vale 26

Varney Crewe 25

Porter Oldham Athletic 22

Hefernan Doncaster 21

Trundle Swansea 20

2005-2006

Eastwood Southend 25

Sharp Scunthorpe 24

Trundle Swansea 21

Hayter Bournemouth 20

Windass Bradford 20

2004-2005

Lita Bristol City 29

Elliott Hull 29

Windass Bradford 28

Boyd Hartlepool 27

Abbott Huddersfield 27

Parkin Swindon 24

Hayter Bournemouth 22

Howard Luton 22

Brooker Bristol City 21

It wouldnt matter if we had Fryatt, Sharp or Cox as our up front choices, we all know once they get to BP they cant hit a barn door.

Edited by Killens_physio

It wouldnt matter if we had Fryatt, Sharp or Cox as our up front choices, we all know once they get to BP they cant hit a barn door.

Too true, but my point is that there are plenty of 20 goals-a-season players out there and I don't think we should saddle ourselves with a bad-egg. I am sure that many of the names in my list were pretty unknown or unproven before they weighed in with the goal tallies they did - the thing is, they have pretty much all moved on and are now big names.

I'd much rather go for a young, fit and motivated player than rely on Hughes. I thought that Ryan Brooke did great when he came on at Walsall. Scored with his first touch and could have got a hatrick! He would be my choice for Pav's partner to start the season - afterall, he has a record better than a goal a game!! :grin:

Too true, but my point is that there are plenty of 20 goals-a-season players out there and I don't think we should saddle ourselves with a bad-egg. I am sure that many of the names in my list were pretty unknown or unproven before they weighed in with the goal tallies they did - the thing is, they have pretty much all moved on and are now big names.

I'd much rather go for a young, fit and motivated player than rely on Hughes. I thought that Ryan Brooke did great when he came on at Walsall. Scored with his first touch and could have got a hatrick! He would be my choice for Pav's partner to start the season - afterall, he has a record better than a goal a game!! :grin:

no he doesnt, he has a goal a game record :wink: ..........not good enough, needs more

no he doesnt, he has a goal a game record :wink: ..........not good enough, needs more

Didn't he only play 20 minutes?

That's 4 goals+ a game!

If he's ever present next season he should bang in around 200.

That'll do.

True but we cant rely on the likes of Brooke and Alessandra to weigh in with enough goals throughout the season to get us to press on. Yes Brooke had a good start with his goal but can we really rely on him to come through and become a 20+ goals a season striker we need? I think its too early to be putting our hopes on him. I dont want Hughes back particulary, but it all really depends on DP. If he thinks he can get the best out of Hughes then great give him a contract but with countless clauses put in there. If Shez was still here i would say definately no, but different managers, fresh starts and all that.

What is most concerning is that people seem to be thinking that Abbott will get a good tally of goals next season. If he doesnt and we have no backup then we are going to struggle.

True but we cant rely on the likes of Brooke and Alessandra to weigh in with enough goals throughout the season to get us to press on. Yes Brooke had a good start with his goal but can we really rely on him to come through and become a 20+ goals a season striker we need? I think its too early to be putting our hopes on him. I dont want Hughes back particulary, but it all really depends on DP. If he thinks he can get the best out of Hughes then great give him a contract but with countless clauses put in there. If Shez was still here i would say definately no, but different managers, fresh starts and all that.

What is most concerning is that people seem to be thinking that Abbott will get a good tally of goals next season. If he doesnt and we have no backup then we are going to struggle.

I agree with you. But I would give Brooke his chance at the start and use the Loan system to bolster our options - we need to develop our own talent as well as brinign in the right players. Is Hughes on of the right players? Not in myn opinion he isn't.

It would keep the team socials lively. I'm not sure we are going to get him on the bargain people are thinking, maybe nobody is biting at what he is after but if he was on the cheap there would be lots of teams willing to take a chance.

What is a bargain price is a subjective view i suppose but how about on offer which includes a basic wage plus add ons for appearances and goals and all adds up to what he was on last year and not what he was offered in January.

Didn't he only play 20 minutes?

That's 4 goals+ a game!

If he's ever present next season he should bang in around 200.

That'll do.

perhaps the next 11 yr old paul moulden

We should try and sign Hughes again, but if we dont im expecting us to sign someone on loan from a premiership team

a bit like Defoe/Bournemouth - yes please

Or Kenny Cooper? It's the old chestnut, we might as well find out if our own youngsters can make it as find out if someone elses can.

Am I right in thinking that some people would rather take a gamble on Brooke than sign someone that we know will score?

Random - Having seen 20 minutes of a kid at the end of the season - start him??? We need decent strikers - reserve team footbal for the kids - THEN if they do well, throw them on for the occasional 30 minutes at the end of games.- If they do well, by all means throw them on at the start.

The last thing I want is booing crowds at a kid if he makes a mistake - they need to gradually become accustomed to the proffessional game.

If Hughes re-signs, he'll probably realise that he needs to behave and grab some goals if he ever wants to move on and earn serious cash...

Edited by ddot_m

Am I right in thinking that some people would rather take a gamble on Brooke than sign someone that we know will score?

Random - Having seen 20 minutes of a kid at the end of the season - start him??? We need decent strikers - reserve team footbal for the kids - THEN if they do well, throw them on for the occasional 30 minutes at the end of games.- If they do well, by all means throw them on at the start.

The last thing I want is booing crowds at a kid if he makes a mistake - they need to gradually become accustomed to the proffessional game.

If Hughes re-signs, he'll probably realise that he needs to behave and grab some goals if he ever wants to move on and earn serious cash...

yep, standard practice, lots of latics fans judge players after seeing them at most 3 times for us or someone else.

at that point they are the greatest or the :censored:s..no in between.

whittiker over wellens :clown: and brooke instead of hughes, no pressure that for a young lad

Edited by palmer1

This post reminds me of the famous Alan Hansen quote about winning nothing with kids.

How old was Rooney when he broke into Everton's first team? Giggs? Scholes? Walcott? Fabian Delph? All played at the end of a match for half an hour?

If you don't throw them into the action, they will never become acustomed to it.

Don't forget that Hughes did OK before Christmas, but was complete GASH after.

Or Kenny Cooper? It's the old chestnut, we might as well find out if our own youngsters can make it as find out if someone elses can.

I dont mean Kenny Cooper i mean someone who is guaranteed to grow up and be a star like Jermaine Defoe!

One of the kids from Arsenal for example who is guaranteed to score goals in this awful league

Whoever recommended Kenny Cooper should be shot

Edited by creepy

This post reminds me of the famous Alan Hansen quote about winning nothing with kids.

How old was Rooney when he broke into Everton's first team? Giggs? Scholes? Walcott? Fabian Delph? All played at the end of a match for half an hour?

If you don't throw them into the action, they will never become acustomed to it.

Don't forget that Hughes did OK before Christmas, but was complete GASH after.

if brooke is that good he will play, if not he will play for the reserves.

penney will know, he made a great start to his career but we cant hope for miracles at this level.

hughes scored 17 goals last season and he bullys defenders. crap after christmas? yes but without those goals where we have been?

id rather go with what we know than take massive risks. that could be a big big mistake come next may

I would definitly have him back on a similar contract to his last one.

Obviously I would hope they put clause's in to protect us if he becomes a problem but we won't have many options available to us who are better without paying a fee.