Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

laticsrblue

321 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

• Yes
    • No - edit - He's gone. Goood Riddance :)

Whenever there is rumour/conjecture/debate as to whether we should sign any number of (realistic) targets - I always look at from the perspective of would I like it if we missed out and the player turns up at BP playing for the opposition.

So let's say we don't sign Hughes and he turns up playing for Walsall at BP - would I be worrried that he was going to turn us over - would I rather have him playing for us or them?

It always puts me right :wink:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on. It is most believable that fans of a third flight team would want a striker who's delivered at a higher level and shown a predatory instinct in the box at this level as recently as last season. Who is better at scoring goals, avaiable on a free transfer and prepared to play for Oldham?

Not sure contempt is the right word. Stupidity perhaps. I believe the discipliniary outcome from Belle Vue was a "warning". Somebody else's actions that night warranted a 2 week fine. In other words, little or nothing in it. I read it as different managerial styles dealing with things in different ways. Shez was too soft, by all accounts. Royle took no nonsense and loaned him out. Or did Corney and Royle agree that the squad wasn't good enough for promotion, look to cut costs and shunted him off to Blackpool to save the alleged 20 goal bonus?

We get rumour and innuendo. But what are the known specifics?

As has been suggested elsewhere, Royle getting rid may have been for other reasons. It may even be (dare I say) Royle got something wrong. Whatever has happened, those who would negotiate a contract with Lee Hughes will know the truth inside out. Dave Penney will know exactly what went on, he will know his own management style, he will know what Lee Hughes can do on (and off) the pitch. He will know if he is prepared to handle all aspects of Lee Hughes playing for Oldham Athletic. I'll back his judgement.

I voted to give him a deal. I do have concerns though.

- if we loaned him out to Blackpool to save paying him a 20 goal bonus, how motivated is he going to be playing for us next season?

- if the January contract deal was a sham to impress the fans, but was withdrawn before transfer deadline day without warning, how motivated will he be?

- if we're going to pay him half of what he earner last season (possibly less than a quarter of the January "offer") how motivated will he be?

These are big "ifs" based on little more than unverified postings on owtb. As I said above, the club and the player know the truths. I don't.

There have been lots of posts on this thread of "include a behaviour clause in the contract". If there isn't already such a clause in EVERY player's contract then there is something wrong at the club! The way Hughes' contract is worded in this respect should be no different to anybody else.

Good post.

Good post.

We get rumour and innuendo. But what are the known specifics?

As has been suggested elsewhere, Royle getting rid may have been for other reasons. It may even be (dare I say) Royle got something wrong. Whatever has happened, those who would negotiate a contract with Lee Hughes will know the truth inside out. Dave Penney will know exactly what went on, he will know his own management style, he will know what Lee Hughes can do on (and off) the pitch. He will know if he is prepared to handle all aspects of Lee Hughes playing for Oldham Athletic. I'll back his judgement.

Royle's record during his brief second stint may be a clue as to whether Joe 'got something wrong' - the truth that I believe is that Royle was not happy with an ex jailbird at the club and a condition of Joe joining was Lee leaving. :wink:

Edited by TheBigDog

How do you tell the David Wheater from the Roque or the Kenny Cooper? Arsenal aren't going to let their obviously best 17-19 year olds come to Oldham for a season, because they would be thinking about playing them in the Littlewoods Cup and maybe have a sneaky chance at joining the grown ups from there. It's the others you might have a chance of. The ones they aren't sure if they will turn out good or turn out crap. The ones like Cooper. And, to be fair, Defoe. But there are more Coopers than Defoes out there. And the ones they know or think to be really good but need games - not coming to the third division.

Regarding bagging for fun - we have had the Wolf, the Horse and many others scoring a load at reserves and we have waited for them to step up, but it hasn't happened despite different managers with different philosophies. I suspect they just weren't good enough despite our best hopes. We seem to have done OK out of selling them as well, although fingers crossed the Philliskirk boy does well, although it clearly won't be with Chelsea or we would have known about it by now.

Yeah i see your point regarding the top clubs young players now play in the League Cup, when Defoe was at Bournemouth i suppose West Ham played there first choice league squad for the cup, which is probably why he was loaned out, but everyone knows you cant buy experience which is why they get loaned out

I also agree that there are more Coopers than Defoes, but as DP as proved with Wheater you can get the quality on loan, premiership club or not. Also Leicester proved it with Hobbs, Cleverley etc

I remember when TTA first took control, Simon Corney went for a meeting with Arsene Wenger, and Wenger said when we get promoted we can have some players on loan, i know he said when we get promoted but im sure with a bit of arm twisting and having been watched why DP we could find someone special.

But we will see who he does bring in on loan eh, personally im very excited as to who he is going to get with Corneys comments of 2 marquee players ringing in my head!

If it was a Lee Hughes who wanted to be at Oldham, then yes id love him back. However, it seems that he`s only interested in us as theres no other options available to him and he needs a club.

As opposed to the rest of the players who play for us because they love the club and wouldn't rather be anywhere else?

Depends on his shape for me.

If round, then no. If something resembling a football player, then yes. We just can't buy his type of talent.

He may be a bit of trouble, but it's loveable trouble, which the old timers harped on about in years gone by. Well except the killing people and legging it bit.

Being serious. How many fans has signing Lee Hughes cost us? I don't know, living over here. If it has cost us literally thousands than maybe we should move on and sign someone else. I hopr though that you are wrong.

I voted yes. I think he would have more respect for Dave Penney than he had for Shez and it would work out for us.

If he has cost us one fan (which I'm pretty sure he has) then it is one fan too many and we shouldn't even entertain the idea of re-singing him. I was never a fan of signing him in the first place, and it made me happy that we got rid.

Q. Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

A. NO!

Edited by dave_ragg1984

He may be a bit of trouble, but it's loveable trouble, which the old timers harped on about in years gone by. Well except the killing people and legging it bit.

:grin:

oops, sorry, someone died.

I shouldn't have found that funny.

Interesting to see the stats so far for the poll of "Am I a mug?"

72.63% says yes they are so far while 27.37% aren't! Not surprised by that stat at all!

:lol:

I think too many people have very hazy memories of how things went down last season (literally).

Edited by LeylandLatic

Interesting to see the stats so far for the poll of "Am I a mug?"

72.63% says yes they are so far while 27.37% aren't! Not surprised by that stat at all!

No the question is do you want us to re-sign Lee Hughes? I don't have a problem with anyone thinking they're right all time, however putting others down to try and prove it is a no no bb80. That siad it wouldn't be you any other way would it? Incidently......... those who think they're right are very very annoying to us that are.

Edited by Lags

Hughes could sign a new contract according to Simon Corney in today's Manchester Evening News.

So COULD you or I. To be fair BP1960 I think this one as been in the public domain quite some time now.

So COULD you or I. To be fair BP1960 I think this one as been in the public domain quite some time now.

I can't remember seeing Simon Corney saying Hughes might sign anywhere before though.

Updating on the poll, if we are bidding against (now with megabuck backers) Notts County. Should we push the boat out and pay top dollar for Hughes?

No, for me, on that one.

Worth it for a bargain, not worth paying big money for.

Edited by singe

Updating ont he poll, if we are bidding against (now with megabuck backers) Notts county. Shoudl we push the boat out and pay top dollar for Hughes?

No for me on that one.

Worth it for a bargain, not worth paying big money for.

Agreed. Only on good terms for the club

If County are willing to pay him a rumoured 3k plus a week, then he's all theirs as far as I'm concerned. There's no need for us to up the ante - there are plenty of strikers out there looking for a club.

Of course, if Lee wants to play in a division above County for a grand a week plus bonuses, then that's fine too. If County really have put a good offer in, at least we'll know where his alliegances lie - if he opts to stay at Oldham it's because he WANTS to.

I'd like to see him re-sign, but we shouldn't get in to a bidding war for him. He should have accepted the offer we made back in January.

Notts Co - Decent wage, chance of League 1 football if promoted?

Latics - Same/similar wage as he was originally on(I don't know what we've offered?), chance of Championship football if promoted?

Either way, I see this as his last contract at this level.

No the question is do you want us to re-sign Lee Hughes? I don't have a problem with anyone thinking they're right all time, however putting others down to try and prove it is a no no bb80. That siad it wouldn't be you any other way would it? Incidently......... those who think they're right are very very annoying to us that are.

Anyone who wants Hughes back in a Latics shirt is an utter mug...if you don't like that opinion of mine...well, it's tough really. As I said elsewhere the other day...I reckon a hell of a lot of those sticking YES in this poll are the same ones who scoffed at Kilkenny's potential return (when strongly rumoured back in Jan near deadline day) as he "took the money"..."gave us the two fingers" etc etc etc.

Seems the day of fans wanting loyal, hard-working, run thru brick walls for the shirt players is long gone...well...for some (or in this case, a very sad majority!)