Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

laticsrblue

321 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to re-sign Hughes?

• Yes
    • No - edit - He's gone. Goood Riddance :)

Guest sheridans_world

I'd have in back in the blink of an eye.

I just want to see BigFin's sig back, with that big red "X" across Mark Hughes' face...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have in back in the blink of an eye.

I just want to see BigFin's sig back, with that big red "X" across Mark Hughes' face...

I wouldn't touch him with Someone else's Bargepole.....!!!

Guest sheridans_world
I've had second thoughts - I'd sooner have back the thousands of fans who "aren't going again whilst that scum is at the club". Then we can sign Michael Owen.

Michael Owen's injured? *

*Or is that next week's news, once he has signed his contract...? :grin:

I dont mean Kenny Cooper i mean someone who is guaranteed to grow up and be a star like Jermaine Defoe!

One of the kids from Arsenal for example who is guaranteed to score goals in this awful league

Whoever recommended Kenny Cooper should be shot

The resident Red we have at work keeps telling me we should make a move for a young kid at City called Alex Nimely. This guy struggles to make games at Old Trafford now, credit crunched you see but does attend as many reserve and youth games as he can. Reckons the most impressive player he spotted was this Nimely kid when they played City. He's just been moved into City's reserve setup for next season with our Kelvin's younger brother.

Get on the phone Corney, see what you can do :grin:

i think we should definately sign him. he is a brilliant goalscorer which he proved last season and the team would benefit from him.I know someone who knows him and says he is a nice guy, put all the past behind us and move forward. i dont know why Joe Royle kicked him out and to be honest i think he ruined the season for us by doing that!

i think we should definately sign him. he is a brilliant goalscorer which he proved last season and the team would benefit from him.I know someone who knows him and says he is a nice guy, put all the past behind us and move forward. i dont know why Joe Royle kicked him out and to be honest i think he ruined the season for us by doing that!

100% correct

ii dont know why Joe Royle kicked him out and to be honest i think he ruined the season for us by doing that!

cud it have been the ten grand bonus he was offerd for over 20 goals in a season for this club [ 18 goals ]

he got close to that an away you go [no bonus]

The resident Red we have at work keeps telling me we should make a move for a young kid at City called Alex Nimely. This guy struggles to make games at Old Trafford now, credit crunched you see but does attend as many reserve and youth games as he can. Reckons the most impressive player he spotted was this Nimely kid when they played City. He's just been moved into City's reserve setup for next season with our Kelvin's younger brother.

Get on the phone Corney, see what you can do :grin:

i wouldnt mind Hughes, but i think there are plenty of young strikers playing in premier league reserve and youth teams who would bag for fun in our league

saying that i think we need someone else in aswell as Hughes (if we sign him)

Henri Lansbury was on loan at Scunthorpe for the last month of last season, i know hes a midfielder but it shows quality can be got on loan

i wouldnt mind Hughes, but i think there are plenty of young strikers playing in premier league reserve and youth teams who would bag for fun in our league

saying that i think we need someone else in aswell as Hughes (if we sign him)

Henri Lansbury was on loan at Scunthorpe for the last month of last season, i know hes a midfielder but it shows quality can be got on loan

And that Roque lad was on loan at Oldham, and he kept standing there admiring himself until someone came and kicked him and the ball up in the air. He was meant to be quality at Liverpool. I missed the horror show, but word has it that highly rated players from the well-regarded Middlesbrough program have also disappointed to some degree.

The Judge, who went down to being a magistrate and is now more like a relationship councillor.

97 other :censored: goalkeepers.

How do you know who will bag for fun? We have had loads of players who have scored dozens in the youths and reserves in the last five years. We still have one of them, another is a model, another was last seen walking around Yeovil offering to play football for food.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. It seems clear that this guy was one of the main reasons why Shez lost his job. I think the other was Gregan with his bullying and drinking (opinions formed from all the crap spouted on these boards).

Seconded. Can't believe the subject is even up for debate.

And that Roque lad was on loan at Oldham, and he kept standing there admiring himself until someone came and kicked him and the ball up in the air. He was meant to be quality at Liverpool. I missed the horror show, but word has it that highly rated players from the well-regarded Middlesbrough program have also disappointed to some degree.

The Judge, who went down to being a magistrate and is now more like a relationship councillor.

97 other :censored: goalkeepers.

How do you know who will bag for fun? We have had loads of players who have scored dozens in the youths and reserves in the last five years. We still have one of them, another is a model, another was last seen walking around Yeovil offering to play football for food.

Different manager different targets - Seb Hines

When DP was at Darlington he had David Wheater on loan this is the kind of quality im on about, players that are going to be stars

i dont know what you mean about players bagging for fun regarding our youth system but its got nothing on arsenals/ man u's/ chelsea's/ liverpool's etc

Different manager different targets - Seb Hines

When DP was at Darlington he had David Wheater on loan this is the kind of quality im on about, players that are going to be stars

i dont know what you mean about players bagging for fun regarding our youth system but its got nothing on arsenals/ man u's/ chelsea's/ liverpool's etc

How do you tell the David Wheater from the Roque or the Kenny Cooper? Arsenal aren't going to let their obviously best 17-19 year olds come to Oldham for a season, because they would be thinking about playing them in the Littlewoods Cup and maybe have a sneaky chance at joining the grown ups from there. It's the others you might have a chance of. The ones they aren't sure if they will turn out good or turn out crap. The ones like Cooper. And, to be fair, Defoe. But there are more Coopers than Defoes out there. And the ones they know or think to be really good but need games - not coming to the third division.

Regarding bagging for fun - we have had the Wolf, the Horse and many others scoring a load at reserves and we have waited for them to step up, but it hasn't happened despite different managers with different philosophies. I suspect they just weren't good enough despite our best hopes. We seem to have done OK out of selling them as well, although fingers crossed the Philliskirk boy does well, although it clearly won't be with Chelsea or we would have known about it by now.

I put the poll up and can't believe the majority would have him back. I'm going to submit it to the Iranian Guardian Council for a recount.

Hughes was a good boy to start with but familiarity bred contempt and he eventually showed his true character. He was a bad influence and a poor roll model for the younger players.

The fact that Royle got rid speaks volumes, but a lot aren't listening.

Wise up. He's not worth it.

Edited by laticsrblue

I've had second thoughts - I'd sooner have back the thousands of fans who "aren't going again whilst that scum is at the club". Then we can sign Michael Owen.

Being serious. How many fans has signing Lee Hughes cost us? I don't know, living over here. If it has cost us literally thousands than maybe we should move on and sign someone else. I hopr though that you are wrong.

I voted yes. I think he would have more respect for Dave Penney than he had for Shez and it would work out for us.

Edited by lonelylaticsfaninaus

I put the poll up and can't believe the majority would have him back.

Come on. It is most believable that fans of a third flight team would want a striker who's delivered at a higher level and shown a predatory instinct in the box at this level as recently as last season. Who is better at scoring goals, avaiable on a free transfer and prepared to play for Oldham?

Hughes was a good boy to start with but familiarity bred contempt

Not sure contempt is the right word. Stupidity perhaps. I believe the discipliniary outcome from Belle Vue was a "warning". Somebody else's actions that night warranted a 2 week fine. In other words, little or nothing in it. I read it as different managerial styles dealing with things in different ways. Shez was too soft, by all accounts. Royle took no nonsense and loaned him out. Or did Corney and Royle agree that the squad wasn't good enough for promotion, look to cut costs and shunted him off to Blackpool to save the alleged 20 goal bonus?

and he eventually showed his true character. He was a bad influence and a poor roll model for the younger players.

We get rumour and innuendo. But what are the known specifics?

The fact that Royle got rid speaks volumes, but a lot aren't listening.

As has been suggested elsewhere, Royle getting rid may have been for other reasons. It may even be (dare I say) Royle got something wrong. Whatever has happened, those who would negotiate a contract with Lee Hughes will know the truth inside out. Dave Penney will know exactly what went on, he will know his own management style, he will know what Lee Hughes can do on (and off) the pitch. He will know if he is prepared to handle all aspects of Lee Hughes playing for Oldham Athletic. I'll back his judgement.

Wise up. He's not worth it.

I voted to give him a deal. I do have concerns though.

- if we loaned him out to Blackpool to save paying him a 20 goal bonus, how motivated is he going to be playing for us next season?

- if the January contract deal was a sham to impress the fans, but was withdrawn before transfer deadline day without warning, how motivated will he be?

- if we're going to pay him half of what he earner last season (possibly less than a quarter of the January "offer") how motivated will he be?

These are big "ifs" based on little more than unverified postings on owtb. As I said above, the club and the player know the truths. I don't.

There have been lots of posts on this thread of "include a behaviour clause in the contract". If there isn't already such a clause in EVERY player's contract then there is something wrong at the club! The way Hughes' contract is worded in this respect should be no different to anybody else.

Edited by opinions4u

I voted to give him a deal. I do have concerns though.

- if we loaned him out to Blackpool to save paying him a 20 goal bonus, how motivated is he going to be playing for us next season?

- if the January contract deal was a sham to impress the fans, but was withdrawn before transfer deadline day without warning, how motivated will he be?

- if we're going to pay him half of what he earner last season (possibly less than a quarter of the January "offer") how motivated will he be?

These are big "ifs" based on little more than unverified postings on owtb. As I said above, the club and the player know the truths. I don't.

I voted no. The longer it goes on - and we don't actually know what is going on or if Hughes is still training with the squad - the less likely it will be.

If DP has reservations these have not been answered. If Hughes has reservations in accepting a deal on offer the less likely he is to be motivated the longer it goes on. Look - LH probably ain't the sharpest pencil in the box. He hasn't accepted a deal because he isn't wrong - it's the club that are at fault. It will take him months to work out that the economy and his past mistakes are what has caused his situation, and we can't let a player with that lack of committment near the squad. He's got history, he's been shown the door, he's had previous offers from us, he's (we think) had another offer and he still doesn't want it. Let him find that better offer he's waiting for.

No thanks - move on and find a player we can develop on an upward path rather than one already on a downward slope.

I voted no. The longer it goes on - and we don't actually know what is going on or if Hughes is still training with the squad - the less likely it will be.

If DP has reservations these have not been answered. If Hughes has reservations in accepting a deal on offer the less likely he is to be motivated the longer it goes on. Look - LH probably ain't the sharpest pencil in the box. He hasn't accepted a deal because he isn't wrong - it's the club that are at fault. It will take him months to work out that the economy and his past mistakes are what has caused his situation, and we can't let a player with that lack of committment near the squad. He's got history, he's been shown the door, he's had previous offers from us, he's (we think) had another offer and he still doesn't want it. Let him find that better offer he's waiting for.

No thanks - move on and find a player we can develop on an upward path rather than one already on a downward slope.

But if we could get him for not much money and his mind is right - then he is still a dangerous striker at this level - sign him on our terms! :wink:

But if we could get him for not much money and his mind is right - then he is still a dangerous striker at this level - sign him on our terms! :wink:

What on earth makes anyone think his head will be right this time? If three years in a cell isn't enough to make him think then will the possibility of misssing out on a contract do the trick? Madness.

Guest sheridans_world
What on earth makes anyone think his head will be right this time? If three years in a cell isn't enough to make him think then will the possibility of misssing out on a contract do the trick? Madness.

Maybe a manager that is willing to manage a player rather than go out drinking with him?