Hughes to Notts County

Notts County have offered hughsey £3,500 a week apparently..

:sauce: Some big fat hairy arsed yorkshire man who delivers at work...

(and is very scary)

Edited by SAV

(and is very scary)

Might be true. Aren't Notts County the latest in a line of former strugglers set fair to sail past us and join giants like Barnsley, Blackpool and Perterborough in the division above?

Might be true. Aren't Notts County the latest in a line of former strugglers set fair to sail past us and join giants like Barnsley, Blackpool and Perterborough in the division above?

Didn't see that comment coming at all. Radical.

(and is very scary)

could be a good call there savy..stayed over in nottingham last neet [went to a scooter raleigh] anyway the footee chat was abaht county and apparantly there is a lot of dosh in there coffers...incidently ..the fair folk of notts are backing mansfield on a swift return .to the league ..big money gone in there..

And Chesterfield...

And Rotherham...

I remember in the 80s/90s and beyond etc in my days of watching latics, going to grounds such as... Valley parade, gresty road, Blundell park, sincil bank, meadow lane (regularly), gay meadow, kenilworth road, vale park and the feethams.

Are all of these set to pass us as well, or were Blackpool, Barnsley and the very well recently funded Peterborough only good for your ever 1 toned discussion?

As for Hughes....with a club captain like he's going to have - John Thompson, he's bound to want to join.

They'll be promotion candidates either way next year.

Edited by futchers briefs

Good luck to Hughsey in Nottingham then I say.

FRom what you read on here, he's too thinck skinned to care or be that bothered and would just be happy with the money.

Can't say I know either way. be interesting if others on here know more.

Someone said in here he frequested the 'Gate in Diggle. Although I lived there a long time ago, I can't say that I would get the impression he would be left alone there.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1714266,00.html

And here. Seems he's set to move to the Championship....erm League two

Hmm, I always tend to think that reports like the one on the Notts County site are put out at the point they realise they won't be signing the player in question - why flag up your interest in a player if there's still some negotiation to be done. Is it to keep their fans happy by showing they're going for players of the calibre?

I remember in the 80s/90s and beyond etc in my days of watching latics, going to grounds such as... Valley parade, gresty road, Blundell park, sincil bank, meadow lane (regularly), gay meadow, kenilworth road, vale park and the feethams.

Are all of these set to pass us as well, or were Blackpool, Barnsley and the very well recently funded Peterborough only good for your ever 1 toned discussion?

I don't know. If you're saying they've now got decent backing they might well do.

I don't remember Barnsley having particularly notable backing, nor did Blackpool spend all that heavily after they were taken over. In any case, I don't care one little bit what kind of funding they had. All I know is that I'm sick of being in this division and hearing everybody 'patiently explain' why we have to be content to be lickle Oldham while nearly all our Lancashire neighbours leave us behind and historically smaller clubs sail past us.

Sorry-I'm just like that. I hate the Oldham loser mentality. Let's have a crap football club as well as a crap rugby club.

I don't know. If you're saying they've now got decent backing they might well do.

I don't remember Barnsley having particularly notable backing, nor did Blackpool spend all that heavily after they were taken over. In any case, I don't care one little bit what kind of funding they had. All I know is that I'm sick of being in this division and hearing everybody 'patiently explain' why we have to be content to be lickle Oldham while nearly all our Lancashire neighbours leave us behind and historically smaller clubs sail past us.

Sorry-I'm just like that. I hate the Oldham loser mentality. Let's have a crap football club as well as a crap rugby club.

which lancashire neighbours are these historically smaller clubs that have passed us then?

because if your history only reaches back to the fact that we where once premiership and they where not then your history needs to reach out alittle further.

i can only think of clubs that spent seasons in a division below but are now and have always bee historically bigger than us

which lancashire neighbours are these historically smaller clubs that have passed us then?

because if your history only reaches back to the fact that we where once premiership and they where not then your history needs to reach out alittle further.

i can only think of clubs that spent seasons in a division below but are now and have always bee historically bigger than us

This is what I said: 'All I know is that I'm sick of being in this division and hearing everybody 'patiently explain' why we have to be content to be lickle Oldham while nearly all our Lancashire neighbours leave us behind and historically smaller clubs sail past us.'

Meaning nearly all our Lancashire neighbours AND historically smaller clubs. Not historically smaller Lancashire neighbours but those neighbours and historically smaller clubs from elsewhere.

Having said all that, our natural Lancashire rivals were, for twenty-five years or so, the likes of Preston, Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn-all those clubs that we've managed to more or less guarantee we'll never be troubling again. Now we've reduced ourselves to the state where our natural local rivals are Stockport, Bury, Rochdale and Macclesfield. All the tiny never-has-been clubs. And even Bury won the FA Cup in 1502 or something, so they're obviously a bigger club than we are.

Sky Sports

Lee Hughes has been offered a contract at Notts County as he bids to find a new club for next season.

The 33-year-old is a free agent after his deal at Oldham expired at the end of last term.

Hughes, who has scored 141 goals in 344 career appearances, held talks with Magpies manager Ian McParland on Friday and negotiations are ongoing.

"Lee was here and we made him an offer which he went away to think about," McParland told the club's official website.

Negotiations ongoing

"His agent has come back to us with some figures that are a little too high but we are still keen to see if we can come to an agreement and we will be planning more dialogue this week with Lee.

"We have made some key signings in the last week with Graeme Lee and Ben Davies becoming part of what we are trying to achieve here, and Lee would be another major piece in the jigsaw we are putting together.

"Signing a striker has been vital because we didn't score enough goals last season and I believe if Lee signs he can strengthen our frontline considerably. His record speaks for itself and if we manage to get him here I will be delighted."

Latics return?

Oldham have not yet ruled out the veteran front-man signing new terms at Boundary Park, although club chairman Simon Corney says that will be a decision left to manager Dave Penney.

"Hughesy has not been able to find another club and is training with us," Corney told the Manchester Evening News.

"Who knows? It's Dave's decision."

Hughes spent the back end of last term on-loan at Blackpool but failed to earn a permanent move to Bloomfield Road.