Salford City v Latics Tuesday 4th August

As a Salford City supporter and ex Chaddy ender I'm looking forward to our pre-season friendly against yourselves at our Moor Lane ground in Salford on Tuesday 4th August - kick off 7:30pm. We play in the Unibond North Division One - that's four leagues below League 2 and I'm hoping that you'll bring a smattering of first team players as well as a few fans to swell our coffers! My best memories of following the Latics was beating Man U at home 1-0 following their relegation from the 1st Division :laught16: and our promotions from the 4th and 3rd Divisions in the early 70's. I still think of Jim Fryatt as the King, remember the brilliance and clowning of Alan Groves and have fond memories of players such as David Shaw,

Maureeeeeece Whittle, Jim Bowie, Ian Robins, Harry Dowd and so many others. Happy days indeed!

Na Na Nana Hey Hey Jim Fryatt ................. Good luck for the coming season.

ps - We play in tangerine so hence the 'TangerineDream'

As a Salford City supporter and ex Chaddy ender I'm looking forward to our pre-season friendly against yourselves at our Moor Lane ground in Salford on Tuesday 4th August - kick off 7:30pm. We play in the Unibond North Division One - that's four leagues below League 2 and I'm hoping that you'll bring a smattering of first team players as well as a few fans to swell our coffers! My best memories of following the Latics was beating Man U at home 1-0 following their relegation from the 1st Division :laught16: and our promotions from the 4th and 3rd Divisions in the early 70's. I still think of Jim Fryatt as the King, remember the brilliance and clowning of Alan Groves and have fond memories of players such as David Shaw,

Maureeeeeece Whittle, Jim Bowie, Ian Robins, Harry Dowd and so many others. Happy days indeed!

Na Na Nana Hey Hey Jim Fryatt ................. Good luck for the coming season.

Could be a different night out

Diego, directions and pub info please :grin:

You also share the same handle name as another fan on here called "tangerinedreamS"....so you are both going to have fun posting your thoughts on here....lol.....its going to get very confusing....talk about split personalities

Could be a different night out

Diego, directions and pub info please :grin:

Here you go.

Salford City FC (The Ammies) play at Moor Lane, Kersal, Salford M7 3PZ (note the Manc postcode but Salford is a separate city and nothing to do with Manchester).

The Club’s patron is Hazel Blears MP. :lol:

The kick-off on Tuesday 4th August is 7:30pm, and admission prices will be confirmed when the strength of the Latics squad is known.

Directions:

From the North of Manchester (M60/M62/M66):

Take Junction 17 exit from M60. Follow signs for Manchester/Salford on the A56 passing TGI Fridays and Tesco on the right. Continue down this road. Cross juction of Hilton Lane/Scholes Lane (A6044) continuing to next crossroad traffic lights of Moor Lane. Turn right onto Moor Lane. Follow the road down about 1/4 mile and the ground gate is on the left.

From the East via centre of Manchester:

From A662 Ashton New Road heading towards Manchester City Centre. Turn right at T -junction onto Great Ancoats Street (A665). Continue straight on A665 to become Swan Street and Miller Street. At Corner of MEN Arena get in left hand lane for traffic lights. Turn Left onto New Bridge Street (A6042). At next lights turn right onto Great Ducie Street (A56). Continue on the road until it becomes Bury New Road. Go across junction of A576 (Great Cheetham Street). Moor Lane is on left at next main crossroads. Turn left into Moor Lane and follow down 1/4 mile to see ground gate on left.

From M602/M60 (South/West Manchester):

At the end of M602 take 1st exit of roundabout Albion Way (A5063). Turn left at T-junction onto Broad Street (A6). Go across traffic lights (with Footbridge). Get in left-hand lane for slip road, and at roundabout take third exit onto Broughton Rd (A576). Continue down Broughton Road through lights to roundabout. At roundabout take second left for Littleton Road. Continue down Littleton Road about 3/4 mile. At mini-roundabout take second exit (right) onto Moor Lane. The ground is on the right after turning for Oaklands Road.

From East Lancs (Wigan/Liverpool):

From A580 heading towards Salford/Manchester (East Lancs Road) take exit for A666 (Pendlebury). Shortly after exiting slip road turn right and then get in left-hand lane and at roundabout take first exit onto Bolton Road (A666). Continue on Bolton road about 1/4 mile passing Fire Station on right, and turn right at traffic lights. You are now on Agecroft Road. Follow Road down steep hill, across roundabout (with Nimans sign). Continue along road to mini-roundabout. Take second exit (right) onto Littleton Road with river running on your right. At next mini-roundabout take first exit (left) onto Moor Lane. Ground is on right after turning for Oaklands Road.

Where to drink:

I have no personal knowledge and there is nothing on the Club’s official site. The following details are from the SCFC fans’ Forum.

As regards pubs in the vicinity there isn't one actually within walking distance. You have a couple or so choices to aim for. When you turn off the M62 at Junction 17 and head for Manchester after 1/2 a mile you go through Prestwich Village where you will see a couple of pubs on the left hand side. Only problem is restricted parking in the village centre. Coming out of Prestwich Village 0.8 miles there is a Holts House pub called the Red Lion with plenty of parking space. After exiting junction 17 its 1.9 miles to the right turn for Moor Lane. Another pub you could try is The Racecourse. To get there you go 1/2 mile past our ground on Moor Lane to the end of the road. Then turn left onto Littleton Road. After 1 mile you will see it on the left-hand side of the road.

Here you go.

Salford City FC (The Ammies) play at Moor Lane, Kersal, Salford M7 3PZ

The ground is on the right after turning for Oaklands Road.

After exiting junction 17 its 1.9 miles to the right turn for Moor Lane. Another pub you could try is The Racecourse. To get there you go 1/2 mile past our ground on Moor Lane to the end of the road. Then turn left onto Littleton Road. After 1 mile you will see it on the left-hand side of the road.

Kersal? I hope it's changed since I used to live in Salford Uni's Halls on Oaklands Road... We used to get a good kicking going to chippy. Lol. (I can laugh about it now!)

The Racecourse is near the student village isn't it? Not a bad pub back then but that was (cough) 20 years ago!

We also used to drink in a pub near The Cliff * (Manure training facility), which was handy for relieving ourselves on the gates after a good session! Heady days. :grin:

Edit: * The pub was called the Priory

Edited by martjs

Kersal? I hope it's changed since I used to live in Salford Uni's Halls on Oaklands Road... We used to get a good kicking going to chippy. Lol. (I can laugh about it now!)

The Racecourse is near the student village isn't it? Not a bad pub back then but that was (cough) 20 years ago!

We also used to drink in a pub near The Cliff * (Manure training facility), which was handy for relieving ourselves on the gates after a good session! Heady days. :grin:

Edit: * The pub was called the Priory

It hasn't!

Here you go.

Salford City FC (The Ammies) play at Moor Lane, Kersal, Salford M7 3PZ (note the Manc postcode but Salford is a separate city and nothing to do with Manchester).

The Club’s patron is Hazel Blears MP. :lol:

The kick-off on Tuesday 4th August is 7:30pm, and admission prices will be confirmed when the strength of the Latics squad is known.

Directions:

From the North of Manchester (M60/M62/M66):

Take Junction 17 exit from M60. Follow signs for Manchester/Salford on the A56 passing TGI Fridays and Tesco on the right. Continue down this road. Cross juction of Hilton Lane/Scholes Lane (A6044) continuing to next crossroad traffic lights of Moor Lane. Turn right onto Moor Lane. Follow the road down about 1/4 mile and the ground gate is on the left.

From the East via centre of Manchester:

From A662 Ashton New Road heading towards Manchester City Centre. Turn right at T -junction onto Great Ancoats Street (A665). Continue straight on A665 to become Swan Street and Miller Street. At Corner of MEN Arena get in left hand lane for traffic lights. Turn Left onto New Bridge Street (A6042). At next lights turn right onto Great Ducie Street (A56). Continue on the road until it becomes Bury New Road. Go across junction of A576 (Great Cheetham Street). Moor Lane is on left at next main crossroads. Turn left into Moor Lane and follow down 1/4 mile to see ground gate on left.

From M602/M60 (South/West Manchester):

At the end of M602 take 1st exit of roundabout Albion Way (A5063). Turn left at T-junction onto Broad Street (A6). Go across traffic lights (with Footbridge). Get in left-hand lane for slip road, and at roundabout take third exit onto Broughton Rd (A576). Continue down Broughton Road through lights to roundabout. At roundabout take second left for Littleton Road. Continue down Littleton Road about 3/4 mile. At mini-roundabout take second exit (right) onto Moor Lane. The ground is on the right after turning for Oaklands Road.

From East Lancs (Wigan/Liverpool):

From A580 heading towards Salford/Manchester (East Lancs Road) take exit for A666 (Pendlebury). Shortly after exiting slip road turn right and then get in left-hand lane and at roundabout take first exit onto Bolton Road (A666). Continue on Bolton road about 1/4 mile passing Fire Station on right, and turn right at traffic lights. You are now on Agecroft Road. Follow Road down steep hill, across roundabout (with Nimans sign). Continue along road to mini-roundabout. Take second exit (right) onto Littleton Road with river running on your right. At next mini-roundabout take first exit (left) onto Moor Lane. Ground is on right after turning for Oaklands Road.

Where to drink:

I have no personal knowledge and there is nothing on the Club’s official site. The following details are from the SCFC fans’ Forum.

As regards pubs in the vicinity there isn't one actually within walking distance. You have a couple or so choices to aim for. When you turn off the M62 at Junction 17 and head for Manchester after 1/2 a mile you go through Prestwich Village where you will see a couple of pubs on the left hand side. Only problem is restricted parking in the village centre. Coming out of Prestwich Village 0.8 miles there is a Holts House pub called the Red Lion with plenty of parking space. After exiting junction 17 its 1.9 miles to the right turn for Moor Lane. Another pub you could try is The Racecourse. To get there you go 1/2 mile past our ground on Moor Lane to the end of the road. Then turn left onto Littleton Road. After 1 mile you will see it on the left-hand side of the road.

Indeed! Anybody refers to me as a Manc, despite my M28 post code, had better be prepared to step outside...... :ranting:

As an 'ex-Chaddy Ender', I assume you once considered yourself an Oldham fan. Out of interest, when did you lose interest in Latics?

As an 'ex-Chaddy Ender', I assume you once considered yourself an Oldham fan. Out of interest, when did you lose interest in Latics?

Once a Latics fan always a Latics fan! Started going during the mid 60's with my father during the Ken Bates era and then with a couple of school mates from 1970 to about 1977/78 when we used to catch the 82 bus from Chorlton and then change for the 2X at Hollinwood. Sort of lost interest in football until I moved down to London where I got back into it by watching my local non-league side.

On my return to Manchester I took up non-league football but did start to go Latics now and again and particularly enjoyed the back end of the 'great escape' season with the 1-0 home win over Man U and the 3-2 and 1-0 away wins at Middlesbrough and Aston Villa respectively. It was that season that my young son started to take an interest in football and after flatly refusing to buy him a Man U shirt I bought him a Latics shirt and took him and my father to the 6-2 home win over Wimbledon. My lad was converted immediately and saved from becoming a red sheep. We continued to go on and off but the pull of non-league was too great and that's where I've been now for many years. Didn't see any Latics games last season but saw 4 homes games the previous season. We may have been plain unlucky but they were all bloody awful, we didn't win once and the ball seemed to spend more time in the air than on the ground.

I don't know if it's me or not but I don't think that League football has the characters and personalities that there used to be years ago. I'm happy to look back at my time at Boundary Park and remember some of the good .... and not so good times

and of course the Chaddy roar! 1-2-3-4 ........................................................

Admission prices for the Salford City v Latics XI pre-seaon friendly have been confirmed as 5.00 for Adults and 2.00 for all

concessions. Hope to see a few Oldhamers in attendance on the night. You're all very welcome. :D

Latics fans might be interested to know that former BP central defender Mike Flynn who became Assistant Manager at Salford at the start of this season is set to play. Despite being 40 years old Flynny has made a major impact since his arrival last January and even scored this weekend with a bullet header in the 3-1 home win against Stockport reserves.

We're all hoping that 20 year old Lathan Forrester who has been at Salford for the last three years and is currently on trial with Oldham gets to have a run out for the Latics against us! Forrester is a very tricky winger who can turn defenders inside out and has scored some spectacular goals for us. On the downside he does however have a frustrating habit of going back and trying to beat the same defender after having just gone past him!

Cheers ...............................................

Admission prices for the Salford City v Latics XI pre-seaon friendly have been confirmed as 5.00 for Adults and 2.00 for all

concessions. Hope to see a few Oldhamers in attendance on the night. You're all very welcome. :D

Latics fans might be interested to know that former BP central defender Mike Flynn who became Assistant Manager at Salford at the start of this season is set to play. Despite being 40 years old Flynny has made a major impact since his arrival last January and even scored this weekend with a bullet header in the 3-1 home win against Stockport reserves.

We're all hoping that 20 year old Lathan Forrester who has been at Salford for the last three years and is currently on trial with Oldham gets to have a run out for the Latics against us! Forrester is a very tricky winger who can turn defenders inside out and has scored some spectacular goals for us. On the downside he does however have a frustrating habit of going back and trying to beat the same defender after having just gone past him!

So did Rick Holden :grin:

After a wasted trip to Buxton on Saturday afternoon I think it will be a good evening.

sounds interesting.........non-league winger on trial with us then, can he CB as well as on the wing???

It was a two-one victory, although we didn't really deserve to win. The winner came courtesy of a last minute penalty from Liam Dawson after Patrick Tischler's first half goal had been deservedly pegged back by Salford.

The line-up was:

Trialist

McKerr

Steer

Trialist

Trialist (Trialist then Ojapah)

Rowney

Stephens

Trialist

Trialist

Brooke (Dawson)

Tischler (not sure why he was named rather than being a trialist)

None of the trialists particularly stood out although the left winger showed some nice touches, when he eventually made a contribution. The stand out performance came from Philip Ojapah, who played centre-half for much of the second half. He replaced a trialist who had only come on just before half-time but latics bench was asked to remove him after he went through Salford's number ten twice.

Steer looks lost at left-back and I hope we don't go with him in the event of Jacobson not recovering.