Manchester Evening News report from the Masters

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the way into the MEN Arena on Saturday I had a discussion with the rarely wrong Chron's Tony Bugby. He blamed the Club for not being a good partner and I told him the fans perceived the problem was the Chron. I expressed my personal displeasure at the Chron's story about the proposed stadium site, in advance of the joint Club/Council announcement. We were poles apart in our views.

Tony's report on the Masters does not mention Latics fans being involved in any trouble on Saturday:

SADLY the event was marred by fighting between Burnley and Blackburn fans with police help summoned after stewards were unable to restore order. A number of fans were removed from the arena.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...beaten-in-final

Is this the start of a new era in reporting on Latics more favourably? :unsure:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Obviously if people want to fight then they will go looking for it, but for fans with shirts on to be singled out by Burnley getting attcked is just idiotic!

I was in a bad mood with the entrance fiasco, but after that little 40 odd year old scumbag tried to punch me at the top of the bottom tier i was incensed, i may have been a bit over the top when i got back to my seat but i certainly didnt hit anyone.

I nearly did when the manure fan was giving it the big un about a certain semi final, so i asked him to be quiet!

At the end of the day, if people took their kids and then got to see what went on, they wont go again, and that is the last thing we want.

And we all know what atmosphere we created last year and how good it was, its a shame that numpties had to spoil it!

Tony's report on the Masters does not mention Latics fans being involved in any trouble on Saturday:

SADLY the event was marred by fighting between Burnley and Blackburn fans with police help summoned after stewards were unable to restore order. A number of fans were removed from the arena.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...beaten-in-final

Is this the start of a new era in reporting on Latics more favourably? :unsure:

no,i'd say,as usual,he's wrong.

I must say I didn't see any Oldham fans involved in any of the trouble myself, and before the match we were outside the pub next to Sinclair's and we were chatting with Burnley Fans there who were perfectly amicable, my younger brother did get some stick of the bouncer for his pink latics shirt. As it stands every club is bound to have some idiots claiming to be fans and I'm sure if they were there they would of found each other and kicked off. The most aggressive fans I saw that night were the Bolton fans sat right at the front to the right of the goal. Having read the MEN article I do feel it is slightly biased towards ourselves and to some extent Burnley, but I suppose the press are always going to sensationalise things

Seems like there is a bit of "mud sticks" going on with the reporting...

Racist chanting....most of been Oldham and Burnley...

Didn't hear / see anything of beer throwing on Sky. No mention by commentators.

Most of the issues seems to be drink fuelled and the fact that two set of "real" supporters turned up. It was fine last time mainly because we was the only group their in numbers Last year the united / city fans where mostly made up of kids / families. Bolton and Blackburn had some supporters but we out numbered them greatly.

It most of been a factor to have two sets of "real" supporters there.

Edited by oafc0000

Seems like there is a bit of "mud sticks" going on with the reporting...

Racist chanting....most of been Oldham and Burnley...

Didn't hear / see anything of beer throwing on Sky. No mention by commentators.

Most of the issues seems to be drink fuelled and the fact that two set of "real" supporters turned up. It was fine last time mainly because we was the only group their in numbers Last year the united / city fans where mostly made up of kids / families. Bolton and Blackburn had some supporters but we out numbered them greatly.

It most of been a factor to have two sets of "real" supporters there.

I saw things being thrown on , :angry:

On the way into the MEN Arena on Saturday I had a discussion with the rarely wrong Chron's Tony Bugby. He blamed the Club for not being a good partner and I told him the fans perceived the problem was the Chron. I expressed my personal displeasure at the Chron's story about the proposed stadium site, in advance of the joint Club/Council announcement. We were poles apart in our views.

If he honestly can't see that breaking an agreed media embargo is wrong then he has absolutely no credibility as a journalist.

But then the only member of Chron editorial staff who did have any journalistic credibility was Mike Yarwood - and look what they did to him. :blink:

If he honestly can't see that breaking an agreed media embargo is wrong then he has absolutely no credibility as a journalist.

But then the only member of Chron editorial staff who did have any journalistic credibility was Mike Yarwood - and look what they did to him. :blink:

Having spoken to The Chron's deputy editor, it seems that Failsworth Dynamos contacted the paper to express their concerns about the plans. In the D.E's words "We couldn't be seen to ignore the concerns of the people of the borough" so the paper included the front page story of OMBC planning to renege on a deal with Dynamos, with involvement from OAFC.

To be fair to the rarely, it would have been a tough call to ignore a proportion of its readers and allow the same story to be picked up by the MEN instead.

Having spoken to The Chron's deputy editor, it seems that Failsworth Dynamos contacted the paper to express their concerns about the plans. In the D.E's words "We couldn't be seen to ignore the concerns of the people of the borough" so the paper included the front page story of OMBC planning to renege on a deal with Dynamos, with involvement from OAFC.

To be fair to the rarely, it would have been a tough call to ignore a proportion of its readers and allow the same story to be picked up by the MEN instead.

Simple reply to the Dynamos could of been "we will be running the story on x,y and z date"....

I understand the MEN would of been part of this embargo... They did not break with it did they...

Edited by oafc0000

Simple reply to the Dynamos could of been "we will be running the story on x,y and z date"....

I understand the MEN would of been part of this embargo... They did not break with it did they...

The MEN were about to run it, is how I was led to believe.

Not defending the chron, and I think they've shot themselves in the foot by not disclosing their reasons for breaking the embargo.

On the other hand, the news was also leaked via people on Latics payroll and also certain members of this forum - bad form from all really.

Not defending the chron, and I think they've shot themselves in the foot by not disclosing their reasons for breaking the embargo.

On the other hand, the news was also leaked via people on Latics payroll and also certain members of this forum - bad form from all really.

The fact that the MEN suddenly decided to pull it is weird in my opinion...

Me too. I simply don't believe the claim that the MEN were going to run with it - if they were they would have done irrespective of what the Chron did.

There are bound to be unofficial leaks on something like this, particularly when an embargo is a week long, but it's up to the local official media organisations to work together for the benefit of all.

By the way, my (ahem) sources tell me that Oldham Council are, if anything, even more upset with the Chron than Latics. For a local paper that's desperate to remain independent, they seem to be burning alot of bridges lately for cheap stories.

Of course the Men will never mention or even suggest about any trouble on matchdays with Man City and Man United tis everyone elses fault.

I really hope we dont get kicked out a good event worse come to worse if clubs are allocated individual blocks that could be a good thing as fans can raise the roof.

I would probably have been about 21. And in my defence, I was only showing her a crucial aspect of what university life entails while she was visiting her big sister. In fact, I was performing a public service. I am content on my piece of moral high ground.

Yup, no doubt about it. Dodgy as ...

I thought you were going to argue she was/is very attractive and didn't look and dress liek she was 14!

Yup, no doubt about it. Dodgy as ...

I thought you were going to argue she was/is very attractive and didn't look and dress liek she was 14!

I'd certainly rattle her bones now. Can't remember what she was like at 14, probably the cider...

Latics fans and stayaways form a bigger proportion of readers than Failsworth residents, and which part of 'media partner' don't the Chron understand?

Considering OWTB's were claiming to be the official fans of the masters. Will anyone from the board be releasing a full apology for the actions of the people they were representing? :mmm:

Sure, no probs...

OWTB as a partner of the Screwfix NW Masters Tournament 2009 would like to apologise for the daft twats that hang around in gangs and like to run around causing havoc on other likeminded twats, or smack innocent bystanders. In actual fact if it came right down to it, on their own they couldn't knock skin off a rice pudding.

Root-toot-toot,

Matt.

I wish someone could've video'd this on Sat....

1st Young thug: "He's one n'all, smack him..."

Me : "You what?"

2nd Young thug in bogs: "Sorry mate, i didn't mean you"

Me : "Yeah, well if you did I'll remove your f*****g spine"

Sure, no probs...

I wish someone could've video'd this on Sat....

1st Young thug: "He's one n'all, smack him..."

Me : "You what?"

2nd Young thug in bogs: "Sorry mate, i didn't mean you"

Me : "Yeah, well if you did I'll remove your f*****g spine"

I'd have thought that difficult.

Didn't seem like either of them had aany backbone in the first place..!

Edited by singe

I did the story for the M.E.N. and knew about it at the same time as the Chron. We did not break the embrago and kept to it even after the Chron had run their Dynamos story.