Why has the art of defending died?

Is it because in this new era where even poor 3rd Division footballers are classed as "stars", nobody wants to do the dirty work?

It seems that nowadays a full back is classed as a good player if he gets forward (eg Micah Richards - ABYSMAL defender) . A centre half is good if he scores the odd goal from a set piece (Joleon Lescott - TERRIBLE defender). This has filtered down the leagues and every young full back coming through nowadays cant defend!

What changed since the mid to late 80's/ early 90's when even Latics had solid young defenders like Andy Linighan, Mike Flynn, and Andy Barlow emerge?

there doesnt seem to be any decent young ones around at the mo, either that or the managers dont want to risk them, thing is its a high risk position and they dont want to take the chance with youngsters as much

I dont think defending has died but it isnt as good as it used to be,

The art of defending has died because you can hardly tackle anyone any more! You just catch someone after you have won the ball and a freekick is given against you, if it looks like you would have hurt the opposition player if you had have caught him then a freekick us given against you - even if you havent got anywhere near the guy! I personally think its a shame, timing a last ditch tackle to perfection is just as difficult as driblling past someone but it doesn't look as exciting when there showing the replays on sky so no-one really cares about it anymore

Proper defenders like Carragher, R Ferdinand and Terry are hard to find, the only decent lower league no-nonsense defender is Peter Clarke who is at Huddersfield.

It is true about football becoming more or less a non contact sport and defenders dont fly into a tackle like they used to,to show how times have changed i wonder how many bookings Stuart Pearce and Julian Dicks would pick up in todays game and they only retired about 10 years ago.

i was in Sicily during the last world cup and watched a few Italy matches in bars.

they'd actually cheer a good tackle or header :lol:

strange how the country that, arguably, was the first to make big money a factor in football seems to be the one that's stuck to it's traditions the most.

i was in Sicily during the last world cup and watched a few Italy matches in bars.

they'd actually cheer a good tackle or header :lol:

strange how the country that, arguably, was the first to make big money a factor in football seems to be the one that's stuck to it's traditions the most.

dfOAFC

Nice photo! Gatti was my hero, recent events are very sad. I have a signed photo of him in his title winning fight with Tracey Harris Patterson from before he got popular from the Ward fights.

My top 5 Gatti fights;

1. Gatti v Gabby Ruelas - Best fight I've ever seen.

2. Gatti v Wilson Rodrigues - "Gatti's gotta do something spectacular guys".

3. Gatti v Mickey Ward 1 - Brutal but Gatti was already on the slide.

4. Gatti v Ivan Robinson 1 - Fantastic.

5. Gatti v Angel Manfredy - At the time a very important fight and a war.

It's the 'PC' culture gone crazy.

FFS! Players are practically getting done for GBH after making a solid tackle. These days you have to ask a player's permission, then get them to sign a disclaimer before you can put a tackle in!

The art of defending/tackling has been killed off.

Only the 'dinosaurs' like Gregan couldn't give a toss, and they are too slow to catch anybody!

I very much doubt the art of defending has ever resided in Division 3. I have seen some good defenders at this level though I dont think it is all that bad. Fitz Hall, Trotman for us. Even Gregan and Stam when they were at the top of their games. I used to think Sam Sodje at Brentford was a great player, as was Leon Cort at Hull. They are just some off the top of my head I am sure there have been more good defenders at our level.

Havent we got any big young lads coming through the ranks that could give twit and tw*t a push for a centre half spot.. Danny Hall (?) was thrown in at the deep end and made a good start before tailing off, as did Haining, although he went from strength to strength. Weve had our share of young centre halves over the years, Fitz Hall, Trots, et al. Maybe we need to blood another?

Edited by BlueJazzer

Havent we got any big young lads coming through the ranks that could give twit and tw*t a push for a centre half spot.. Danny Hall (?) was thrown in at the deep end and made a good start before tailing off, as did Haining, although he went from strength to strength. Weve had our share of young centre halves over the years, Fitz Hall, Trots, et al. Maybe we need to blood another?

I've not seen anyone in the reserve games this pre-season that I'd feel comfortable throwing in at the deep end. I fear they would drown.

the problem is nowadays refs think football is a non contact sport, the youth dont want to be defenders anymore because they know that the slightest touch on one of these greased up model wannabe's then they are gonna drop like a sack of spuds

so the only real hope they got of tackling is trying to intercept the ball during a pass

I dont think its just about tackling. A good defender doesnt need to be a good tackler if he reads the game well and looks to cut out the ball before it reaches the forward.

We need to teach the younger players how to read the game as well as their technical skills. Proactive rather than reactive skills.

I dont think its just about tackling. A good defender doesnt need to be a good tackler if he reads the game well and looks to cut out the ball before it reaches the forward.

We need to teach the younger players how to read the game as well as their technical skills. Proactive rather than reactive skills.

agree but tackling is still a big thing, strikers arent afraid of tackles now because they know they just have to go down for a decent shout for a free kick

It’s not like defending is only about tackling though, which was part of what the first post meant when pointing out that people are more interested in the attacking attributes of defenders. Lescott is a very good example. He got selected for England it seems on the basis of having scored quite a few just before his call up. Thing is he did that mostly from CB anyway and was selected on the left for England so it’s not even like he would have the same chances to score, and as sad he isn’t the best defender by any stretch. Someone like Carragher who seems to just like the other side scoring is considered limited but it’s certainly something you can build a team on. Anyway, it’s not soft tackling that seems to be our problem at the moment, it’s poor concentration and organisation, which are IMO more important attributes than being able and willing to fly into challenges all the time.

What happened to the coloured lad featuring in the friendlies...Oggy??

Was he sent away????? he was cool, calm and collective although not really challenged, would have liked to have seen/ see more of him put under pressure.

wasn't it the yank/canadian and didn't we hear on the old grape vine he was a possible signing?...yep looked solid enough