Report...for what its worth

Overall Team rating - 7 - Good effort

Brill - 6 Did everything he had too....kicking wasn't terrible and made a decent save towards the end but wasn't really tested.

:censored: - 7 Looked composed and pretty much did what a right back needs to do....£350k well earned from Eardley if he keeps putting in performances like that no world beater but steady and assured.

Gregan - 8 Solid had a decent game hardly tested won every header as usual...made one error half way through the first half with the usual lunge but other than that had a good game with a couple of good through balls later on in the second half.

Hazell - 7 Didn't have a great deal to do but looked steady, still needs to try to cut out the long balls from his game and maybe just play the ball on the deck if there is the option.

Gilbert - 6 Steady as the rest of the back line no special praise or any faults, whipped in one or two decent corners, we should have had someone pushing on the end of them.

Holdsworth - 7 Not his usual positon but thought he did quite well considering....pushed forward and was always making runs through to goal. Not sure how it would have turned out if he had got the ball but never the less made the option and looked eager.

Furman - 8 Ran and ran and ran great effor with the volley unlucky not to score but an equally great save from fon williams...always looking for the ball and looks a good partner for worthington.

Worthington - 7 Had a good game committed and aggressive, a better version of allott in my opinion but he will pick up yellow cards and maybe the odd red this season. Always in the oppositions face tho and pressures well forcing errors.

Taylor - 6 Didnt cause any major danger and went off halfway through the second half for injury,had a decent game and linked well with Abbott but will have many better games.

Parker - 7 - Did quite well got on the end of some of Hazell and Gregans hopefull longballs, looked dangerous in spurts will be a thorn in many teams side. 10 goals from him this season i guess....

Abbott - 8 - Poor mans Berbatov great touch and hold up play intelligent player, he will score a couple of beauts this season i have faith. Should have squared to byfield at the end, but sniffed goal like a typical hungry striker nothing to be ashamed of.

Subs

Whittaker - 7 Thought he did quite well pushed the game on in an unfamiliar left midfield role. Unlucky not to have scored with the cleared header off the line, will be a decent squad player this year. Perfect for scenarios where we are pushing for a win rather than defending a lead.

Byefield - 6 Not a great deal came his way, unlucky Abbott didnt give him the chance to hush the boo boys at the end of the game. Made some good runs but just didnt see much of the ball but the effort was there. I'd rather have him as back up striker as apposed to O'grady or Allessandra feel he is more of a threat.

Allessandra - 5 Did he touch the ball? Only got 5 minutes but never really got chance to get into the game the decision baffled me slightly as we semed to be pushing enough without any more changes needed. Rating not his fault just a lack of game time.

Overall i thought there wasn't much to worry about....ok we drew to a below average Stockport side but lets be honest it could have easily been a 1-0 win which would have satisified most...The team looked fit and worked hard to the final whistle if we can do that for the rest of the season we will do fine.

People expecting us to be world beaters in this division and win every game get a reality check it was never gonna happen.

Edited by Blue_Guru

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was very impressed with that young RB :censored:!!

Gregan was top draw,

Liked the energy of Worthington,

Furman i thought was quiet in 1st half but much better in 2nd,

Abbott with a few more games under his belt could be awesome.

Thought we were decent today, not bad for 1st game of the season.

I think Stockport may struggle as the season goes on!

Good report.

I can't believe all the moaning i'm seeing on here already.

We kept a clean sheet. I don't know where to start but the team just looks so much better than last season all round. Towards the end of the game last season we would have expected to concede a poor goal, but with DP in charge have a lot more confidence in the squad, no poor mistakes from players switching off. One of the major things ive noticed is how much better we are in the air, before DP we would rarely win anything in the air and when we did it wasn't controlled at all, just randomly jumping at the ball. Now we are getting control of the ball and keeping possession more and are looking good on the ball.

One thing i will say is that we need to make better use of the space, noticed throughout the game acres of space in the middle with no one making runs. We often got crowded on the ball up front and seemed to think the solution was to run through them rather than look up and pick out a man in space. We will improve over time as the players gel and DP gets through to them, some players have only been here a few days.

I'm pretty sure people have just missed moaning about football over the summer.... W@nkers

Might start using the ignore function on this forum and just ignore all the muppets who just moan for the sake of it.... First one mayaswell be Latics_Fanatic

:censored: looks awesome.

abbot and worthington had good games,

holdsworth is not a winger,

cb pairing was solid,

....and by the end, i had alot more confidence in brill.

it sounds like the exact opposite from pre-season. how did :censored: and gilbert get on? mainly gilbert

it sounds like the exact opposite from pre-season. how did :censored: and gilbert get on? mainly gilbert

I thought Gilbert had a very good game as did :censored:.

Considering 50% of the back four hadn't played together before and the other 50% had spent pre-season pretending they hadn't played together, we looked very solid.

However, Stockport were toothless and much bigger challenges lie ahead.

One small point!

Considering his somewhat jittery performances in the last 3 friendlies,i thought Rubes put in a good shift today! as for the long ball out of defence,he found Abbott almost every time.

I am sure DP will be more than happy with that. :D

Good report. The fullbacks both looked solid and so did Greegs and Hazzel and i've been rube's biggest critic during pre season. Furman looked class and Worthington showed us what a defensive midfeilder looks like.

Definitly enough positives to take out of the game but also enough to work on in training.

I have a good vibe about this season.

I feel we are going to suprise a few,(like that dikhead beagre).

Abbott if he can stay (or get) fit is going to be an amazing signing for this division,likewise Parker if Penney can get the best out of him.

At last we *seem* to have a manager who knows a player when he sees one (unlike JS),lets hope the owners dont do owt daft to unsettle the squad-

Off to the bookies,i reckon we'll be 100/1 to go up and im sticking a £1 on it.

(cash flow probs).

I have a good vibe about this season.

I feel we are going to suprise a few,(like that dikhead beagre).

Abbott if he can stay (or get) fit is going to be an amazing signing for this division,likewise Parker if Penney can get the best out of him.

At last we *seem* to have a manager who knows a player when he sees one (unlike JS),lets hope the owners dont do owt daft to unsettle the squad-

Off to the bookies,i reckon we'll be 100/1 to go up and im sticking a £1 on it.

(cash flow probs).

Very disappointed in Taylor though he looks lacking in confidence (maybe due to carrying an injury) and it's possible Whitaker (who looked bright) may threaten his place.

Edited by BP1960

was i watching the same game?

If you think that was a good performance, then you are happy with mid table

forgive me if im wrong but i didnt see :censored: pass a ball to one of our players

Danny Whitaker when he cane on was the best player on the pitch - and thats saying something

DP looks to have brought some decent young footballers to the club, :censored:, Furman in particular and with young, experienced players like Worthington, Abbott, Gilbert, Holdsworth and Parker all something to prove, they looked ok to me.

He has got them playing some good football, high up the pitch and at a decent tempo - a decent performance to day against a struggling, young, inexperienced and very defensive Stockport side - who without doubt, without financial backing, will struggle this season.

However, I am a little concerned that if we lose Gregan, Furman and Abbott - or any 2 of that combination, we will struggle.

Hopefully all will stay fit for the majority - but if they don't, things may be a tad tougher!!

We looked like a "nice" side today and perhaps need a couple of 'biters' in amongst 'em.

Very encouraging though.

forgive me if im wrong but i didnt see :censored: pass a ball to one of our players

Danny Whitaker when he cane on was the best player on the pitch - and thats saying something

Steady, :censored: was fairly solid but i agree it was far from a great performance. However having said that I think we have a good base to build on. A lot of potential in this side, but we are going to have to see big improvements in some departments. Lets not be negative, I think the team needs to Gel and I truely believe we will get better with games.

No, obviously you weren't watching the same game.

Mid table would be a realistic position for the changes/squad we have.

As for :censored: - he gave a free kick away in the 91st minute which was his only clear mistake of the game. For a young player who has played very little first team football and very new to the club, i thought he looked very promising, solid and steady. However there are some amongst us who, for 2 years, have booed a 21 year old international full back who had already played over 100 games for the club, so it comes as no surprise to me really, that a young players ability is being called into question already!

No, obviously you weren't watching the same game.

As for :censored: - he gave a free kick away in the 91st minute which was his only clear mistake of the game. For a young player who has played very little first team football and very new to the club, i thought he looked very promising

so he can pass to the opposition as much as he likes - as long as he doesnt make mistakes as you say?

rubbish mate thought it was a decent preformance tbh and whitaker wasnt the best player it could have been one of gregan,abbott,furman,worthington and closely followed by the rest decent team preformance :censored: looked good never looked out of place and i think byfield did ok when he came on if only abbott had squared it near the end oh well first point of the season! on another note stockport came here for a point at best and got it due to a wonder save and a few other class ones i think stockport may shock a few teams

Overall Team rating - 7 - Good effort

Brill - 6 Did everything he had too....kicking wasn't terrible and made a decent save towards the end but wasn't really tested.

:censored: - 7 Looked composed and pretty much did what a right back needs to do....£350k well earned from Eardley if he keeps putting in performances like that no world beater but steady and assured.

Gregan - 8 Solid had a decent game hardly tested won every header as usual...made one error half way through the first half with the usual lunge but other than that had a good game with a couple of good through balls later on in the second half.

Hazell - 7 Didn't have a great deal to do but looked steady, still needs to try to cut out the long balls from his game and maybe just play the ball on the deck if there is the option.

Gilbert - 6 Steady as the rest of the back line no special praise or any faults, whipped in one or two decent corners, we should have had someone pushing on the end of them.

Holdsworth - 7 Not his usual positon but thought he did quite well considering....pushed forward and was always making runs through to goal. Not sure how it would have turned out if he had got the ball but never the less made the option and looked eager.

Furman - 8 Ran and ran and ran great effor with the volley unlucky not to score but an equally great save from fon williams...always looking for the ball and looks a good partner for worthington.

Worthington - 7 Had a good game committed and aggressive, a better version of allott in my opinion but he will pick up yellow cards and maybe the odd red this season. Always in the oppositions face tho and pressures well forcing errors.

Taylor - 6 Didnt cause any major danger and went off halfway through the second half for injury,had a decent game and linked well with Abbott but will have many better games.

Parker - 7 - Did quite well got on the end of some of Hazell and Gregans hopefull longballs, looked dangerous in spurts will be a thorn in many teams side. 10 goals from him this season i guess....

Abbott - 8 - Poor mans Berbatov great touch and hold up play intelligent player, he will score a couple of beauts this season i have faith. Should have squared to byfield at the end, but sniffed goal like a typical hungry striker nothing to be ashamed of.

Subs

Whittaker - 7 Thought he did quite well pushed the game on in an unfamiliar left midfield role. Unlucky not to have scored with the cleared header off the line, will be a decent squad player this year. Perfect for scenarios where we are pushing for a win rather than defending a lead.

Byefield - 6 Not a great deal came his way, unlucky Abbott didnt give him the chance to hush the boo boys at the end of the game. Made some good runs but just didnt see much of the ball but the effort was there. I'd rather have him as back up striker as apposed to O'grady or Allessandra feel he is more of a threat.

Allessandra - 5 Did he touch the ball? Only got 5 minutes but never really got chance to get into the game the decision baffled me slightly as we semed to be pushing enough without any more changes needed. Rating not his fault just a lack of game time.

Overall i thought there wasn't much to worry about....ok we drew to a below average Stockport side but lets be honest it could have easily been a 1-0 win which would have satisified most...The team looked fit and worked hard to the final whistle if we can do that for the rest of the season we will do fine.

People expecting us to be world beaters in this division and win every game get a reality check it was never gonna happen.

Where does that come from? No one expects us to do that - did you just put that in for effect? I cannot think of one post on this board that reflects that comment - can you?

so he can pass to the opposition as much as he likes - as long as he doesnt make mistakes as you say?

Did you like Eardley by any chance?

As i said, he's played very little first team football and has only just joined us and i thought he aquitted himself very well, especially considering that he didn't have a 'natural' right winger/midfielder in front of him - and maybe if you took these things into consideration in you critique of a player after seeing him for only 90 minutes you may be able to form a more balanced opinion of his performance.