Barry Owen on Attendances

Interesting. I said you talked sh*t yesterday and i was right :grin:

After reading what you wrote I am surprised you can accuse someone else of that :)

At the time I said that I was planning on going... So I wasn't talking :censored: :)

Feel free to offer something more constructive though...

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You waffle without making a point....

Raised eyebrows about what ? I am totally pissed off with all things Latics right now... Does that mean I stop having a opinion or stop caring ??

Once you stop going should we just disappear into the background and not give a :censored: ?

Well ???

Why lie about watching?

Why lie about watching?

I did not lie though...

You asked me if I was coming and I gave a truthful answer... Just because I cant make night games (I didn't realise it was a night game at the time) and then I changed my mind for the Saturday does not mean I lied at the time. My intention was to go.

Why presume I lied ? Looking back I think you only asked about Saturday...

Edited by oafc0000

Similar thing here. I bought tickets for ONE Blackburn game 3 years ago. Now I can't stop them writing to me, advertising their season tickets and other offers they have going. I don't know anyone who has had contact from Latics after not renewing their season ticket.

Bought some for an under 21 game held at Ewood some years back and still get sent letters every month advertising their games and Christmas specials.

well i'd say they run the club,there are all these problems..who is to blame that:

1/there is no marketing in the club?

2/the stadium is a dump?

3/fans are having to pay £20 to sit in that dump?

4/we are looking at a new "home" in failsworth, which is nothing more that a complete deathwish IMO.

i didn't renew my season ticket this year for the first time in 10 or so years...have i had anyone phone or write to me asking why?

no, barry rants off without thought or reason..again.

but i suppose all those stamps or phone calls cost money anyway, don't want another expenditure do they?

Exactly.

The only contact we have had from a football club was fom Man City because my son (a Latics fan) went with his mate last year and had to join up to get in. Its called database mccccarketing.

I had to explain that we were latics fans and ther was no chance of us buying season ticket at the council house, but it looks as though we are going to move to a Manchester Counccil House anyway.

This is what we are up against, no competition for many.

I don't even know who wardlelatic is, so why he would make statements as to how I feel or how club decisions are made is beyond me.

Scary as to how little a senior member of the trust knows about the club.

Thank you to all those who have made their points. Some very valid comments.

Tremendously true.

Tremendously true.

I found it gutting :( that people picked up on Rummy (quite fairly for his opinion) pointing out that Wardle will have formed his views from speaking to Barry, and thus seeing this as evidence of a cover up from from the top, but didn't notice me reaching the same conclusion a few posts earlier except that I figured that the problem was that Barry either was once again betraying either his hidden distrust of TTA or that he was once again showing that he doesn't have a :censored: clue.

but didn't notice me reaching the same conclusion a few posts earlier except that I figured that the problem was that Barry either was once again betraying either his hidden distrust of TTA or that he was once again showing that he doesn't have a :censored: clue.

It was not unnoticed by everyone...

I am confused as anyone... I have no idea who the :censored: to trust...

To be frank, I don't see many people working with the sole interest of OAFC in mind... and that is why I worry / have had enough...

Edited by sheridans_world
Removed Swearing from quote

Just acknowledging some excellent posts on this thread. In the I.O.W at the moment andf my broadband in not too good. I will put together a detailed response shortly which I tried to do last night but lost all the content when sending. Please bear with me.

KTF

Regards

Barry

An addition to this (and on from some other points about other clubs). I've had a lot of conversations with Latics, offering my support and that of my business, yet have not been contacted once. I had a 2 min conversation with a marketing guy from Burnley FC at a random event and within 2 weeks we have agreed a deal which cost next to nothing allowing me to be an exclusive partner (accessing their 17K ticketholders) and as a result we're also supplying their corporate/hospitality depts and shop. To the point that they are including our products in all kinds of other promotions where they see an advantage to do so (I don't do anything). They are taking advantage of the additional revenue they can gain from our products.

I've offered Latics a way of generating a new income without it costing them anything and....nothing.

To repeat my above point, old thinking (and lack of planning) are the main issue. Not every 'idea' is practical to be acted on, but with a proper marketing plan it makes it easier to evaluate and put some in place. The club themselves will admit that when ideas have been tried in the past they've not done proper reviews/tracking/analysis of them. What they haven't ever done is get the the heart of what the issues are.... there are accepted to be 3 types of fans/customers at football clubs - Followers / Supporters / Fanatics as a broad brush...each has specific needs. Goodness me it isn't black magic.

Its funy you should mention Burnley, as when i was there thats what they were aiming to replicate, but to be honest i doubt that will ever be achieved by part time commercial team!

I was trying to persuade local companies to part with £50-£100 to be part of the latics directory, and they wouldnt take it up.

Its funy you should mention Burnley, as when i was there thats what they were aiming to replicate, but to be honest i doubt that will ever be achieved by part time commercial team!

I was trying to persuade local companies to part with £50-£100 to be part of the latics directory, and they wouldnt take it up.

Outsourcing not a possibility ?

Outsourcing not a possibility ?

It shouldnt have to be, we are a local club that should be promoted to local companies, to outsource would take away the connection.

Its funny how when i worked there i was involved in the open day for sponsors, i still see them and they say hi to me, as they saw me as a contact at the club.

It simply needs a dedicated person to just take the time and contact as many companies and go and see them make him/herself known.

One story i heard was of somebody who sponsored a player every season for about 5 seasons, and he was contacted regularly and asked to take up hospitality, unfortunately a new marketing manager came in and the calls and emails stopped.

I believe that was 3 years ago so the club lost out on £2000, ok nit a big amount but it adds up and we all know refferals work wonders!

It shouldnt have to be, we are a local club that should be promoted to local companies, to outsource would take away the connection.

Its funny how when i worked there i was involved in the open day for sponsors, i still see them and they say hi to me, as they saw me as a contact at the club.

It simply needs a dedicated person to just take the time and contact as many companies and go and see them make him/herself known.

One story i heard was of somebody who sponsored a player every season for about 5 seasons, and he was contacted regularly and asked to take up hospitality, unfortunately a new marketing manager came in and the calls and emails stopped.

I believe that was 3 years ago so the club lost out on £2000, ok nit a big amount but it adds up and we all know refferals work wonders!

Fair points...

You would of thought the TTA would of been very keen on fixing this stuff when they took over considering their backgrounds...

I offered my services, and the rest shall we say is history!

Many have John, do they just enjoy being martyrs losing money hand over fist or do they truly lack the ability to understand that to accumulate they have to speculate - namely pay someone a decent salary to market the club. I know they have said to people that if they pay someone £20-25k a year as a Marketing executive they may 'only' bring in £50k of business so for the sake of £30k or so it isn't worth it and that imo is ludicrous ask any businessman if they would like to double their original outlay and they'd bite yer friggin' hand off. And i'm sure if the marketing executive was any good then the income would improve year on year.

It makes you weep!

Edited by oafcprozac

Many have John, do they just enjoy being martyrs losing money hand over fist or do they truly lack the ability to understand that to accumulate they have to speculate - namely pay someone a decent salary to market the club. I know they have said that if they pay someone £20-25k a year as a Marketing executive they may 'only' bring in £50k of business so for the sake of £30k or so it isn't worth it and that imo is ludicrous ask any businessman if they would like to double their original outlay and they'd bite yer friggin' hand off. And i'm sure if the marketing executive was any good then the income would improve year on year.

It makes you weep!

:petesake:

I would actually work for less than that, and the only reason is that i need a job!

Its a no brainer that only people from outside the club can actually see!

:idea:

hey Beardy... If its "not worth the effort" do it for free and keep half of anything you make :) At least £25k going off the numbers above :)

:banana2:

Edited by oafc0000

I've been dropping the Burnley scheme's in for to latics for info for a while as they have been very active for the past few years - good example really. Nail on the head though Beardy, not just a permanent staff member (I did a little 'free' help for them myself), but a plan and some modern techniques. The database is crucial, and is completely underused, and doesn't have executed in costly ways.

They also have to realise that just offering ads to companies in directories is not enough...most of us these days require a little more, getting the commercial side right will immediately deliver some more revenue streams for the club that can be shifted over to the marketing ideas - and get some positive messages coming out of the place!!

Exactly, a great way of making money is to ask the people who spend it, as to what they would like to get from the club!

Like your sweets, sell them in the ground, latics sweets!

When i was doing the contract hire gig, i noticed we had Latics Leasing, which at the time i was jealous of, basically as i hadnt thought of it and it was an ideal way of getting business through the club.

After speaking with Martin who ran it, if i remember correctly he said it was because of Bob Gorrill that they got rid of it!

That says it all really, when the marketing manager makes you want to pull your money out of the club you support, and i know Martin has done more business, but in his words he wouldnt spend as much as he used to, which i beleive to be a rather large sum.

(im sure Martin will correct me if im wrong)

There are advertising boards around the pitch that were never paid for, and never chased, it seems to me as though we are the only club to seem to think it is ok to be mediocre.

The way I see it, if any marketing executive was appointed and even if he just makes the equivalent of his wage in his first year, what have the club lost? Nothing

Even if they recruited a graduate on 18k a year to do the job, I would wager its a hell of alot better than what we have now. The current staff couldn't market torches and pitchforks to an angry mob

Fully agree with OAFC0000 re TTA, considering they are three self made businessmen, I would expect them to know at least a little bit about marketing.

The way I see it, if any marketing executive was appointed and even if he just makes the equivalent of his wage in his first year, what have the club lost? Nothing

Even if they recruited a graduate on 18k a year to do the job, I would wager its a hell of alot better than what we have now. The current staff couldn't market torches and pitchforks to an angry mob

Crackingly appropriate analogy for this thread there! Brilliant!

Fully agree with OAFC0000 re TTA, considering they are three self made businessmen, I would expect them to know at least a little bit about marketing.

Does this not indicate that they are going to be more than happy with the profit made from BP when the time comes?

The data base thing is so "basic" it's a no brainer.

I sometimes go to watch my local team, which happens to be Wycombe, and I sometimes go to watch Wasps Rugby at the same ground. I have only ever bought occasional match day tickets for interesting games, but I constantly receive emails from both clubs to update on special deals, and ask if I'm interested to buy tickets. Most times it's a "no", but a few times I do think "yep, that sounds OK. Nothing else planned that day. I'll go". And I have no allegience to either club so there really is no special motivation - just good marketing which stikes a chord and raises interest. And then at the start of each season they each send a couple of letters / a glossy mag promoting season tickets and special deals etc.

Compared to latics - I've supported over 3 decades, former season ticket holder etc. Buy tickets frequently. The ticket office has my details on their data base. I've never received a letter or an email in the last decade (even when we had marketing managers!).