France v Ireland

Oh boy has this thread developed! :lol:

If it's worth anything, having spent a few away trips with the faithful fans of Northern Ireland, their general attitude is (God bless 'em) "England who??" with a fierce intent to get as pished as poshible in whichever city they encounter. Let's ave it!

We're not Brasil we're Norn Iron!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the same Henry who was so disgusted by Barcelona kicking him during the 2006 Champions League final he would never join them.

it is..i've never really taken a shine to him at barca to be very honest, that episode is firmly locked in my head.

i think this "le sulk" thing is a bit of a french pastime.

Edited by johnny punkster

I think it's nutty to talk about replaying the game or whatever, same rules on the park as at the WC final for me. Can you stretch your mind back though and imagine why supporters of the Irish team might not like the English team (and it's fans) very much? Clue - more recent and closer to home than 1986.

The riot in 1995 in Dublin perchance? Attributed to Combat 18 infiltrating England 'fans' - match abandoned with us 1-0 down.

it was a joke!!!

Better replay the 1966 final too, that was never a feckin' goal! Oh and that wasn't a penalty in the 1990 final, better replay that too! Not arsed the Paddy's lost, I'm more bothered about the wider win at all costs mentality that's destroying the game imo.

Better replay the 1966 final too, that was never a feckin' goal! Oh and that wasn't a penalty in the 1990 final, better replay that too! Not arsed the Paddy's lost, I'm more bothered about the wider win at all costs mentality that's destroying the game imo.

The difference between 1966 and this incident is that it was a clear case of cheating. There was real intent to unfairly change the result of the game.

Can it be replayed, no... Should we look at punishing Henry for cheating, yes...

Edited by oafc0000

The difference between 1966 and this incident is that it was a clear case of cheating. There was real intent to unfairly change the result of the game.

Can it be replayed, no... Should we look at punishing Henry for cheating, yes...

Roy Keane's gone right up in my estimation :lol:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26...5706609,00.html

get off that fence Roy :lol:

...and Anelka.

To be honest the whole World Cup is a farce now following the disgraceful seeding decision.

Since TV took over cheating being noticed (and highlighted) is part of the game as far as I'm concerned. It also makes it more entertaining which is what it's all about - we wouldn't have such a long thread on the match if nothing had happened.

These things even themselves out anyway - as Keane points out the Irish won an unjust penalty to take the points in an earlier game. If everything was 100% fair they wouldn't have even made the play-off. Bollocks to 'em.

Henry should be retrospectively punished in the same way he would have been had the ref saw it on the field....a Yellow Card added to his tally.

Did we steal their potatoes again?

Lol good try but the English never stole there potatoes. The potato was my ancestors staple diet and most of the crops were ruined by Potato Blight. As Alan Partridge said, “you will pay the price for being a fussy eater…. surely they could have afforded a modest café”.

Lol good try but the English never stole there potatoes. The potato was my ancestors staple diet and most of the crops were ruined by Potato Blight. As Alan Partridge said, “you will pay the price for being a fussy eater…. surely they could have afforded a modest café”.

My granny’s ancestors made it through by eating babies of the O’Sideburns family until they fled the village.

Henry should be retrospectively punished in the same way he would have been had the ref saw it on the field....a Yellow Card added to his tally.

Balls to that...he should be given a three match ban for deception (the same as the alleged punishment for diving).

Only problem is that France will play three more times between now and the finals, ideal situation he should be banned for the group games.

He is right though isnt he...besides the cheat bit....

The issue for me is dealing with the clear cheats in the game.... Henry and friends...

Indeed.

Ban them. Just ban them for six games for every dive*. If it wins a penalty, six games. If it wins a foul, six games. If it is seen - send them off, and ban them for six games. Make the punishment so much worse than the crime that they stop trying it on. At the moment it is 25 people, of which 3 aren't trying to cheat. The best solution put forward by the cheating garlic muncher is to up that by two. You can work it the other way in my view. You just have to be very, very harsh.

*Slightly different to handball as much more common. Handball is harder to do, as where does a shoulder when trying to chest fit in. Clear cheating, which handball can be (as we have seen), just hit them so hard they won't see next month.

I like Cantona's take on matters.

"What shocked me most wasn't the handball, honestly,"

"What shocked me most was that at the end of the match, in front of the television cameras, this player went and sat down next to an Irish player to console him, even though he'd screwed them three minutes earlier.

"If I'd been Irish, he wouldn't have lasted three seconds."

I couldnt believe Dunne patted him on the leg. They should have gone ape , pretended they were Egyptians or Algerians or somesuch

I like Cantona's take on matters.

"What shocked me most wasn't the handball, honestly,"

"What shocked me most was that at the end of the match, in front of the television cameras, this player went and sat down next to an Irish player to console him, even though he'd screwed them three minutes earlier.

"If I'd been Irish, he wouldn't have lasted three seconds."

I couldnt believe Dunne patted him on the leg. They should have gone ape , pretended they were Egyptians or Algerians or somesuch

I would of gone postal to be frank... :ranting: