Latest Stadium News

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I will be happy if we get a new stadium. Colchesters is looking very good to me at the moment when I look at the state of BP.

Do I want an 15k-20k quarter/half filled stadium or do I want a 10k-12k stadium that doesnt look empty every week but can expand if needed down the line? Option 2 for me all day long.

Do I want an unique designed stadium? Yes but it would be way down the list of priorties. As long as the stadium is functional and we can build addtional reveue generating buildings alongside im happy.

Do I want it to be in Failsworth? No I would rather it built on the current site of BP but thats what happening. Some people feel we have a devine right to a new stadium but yet we dont have a long list of people waiting to build a new stadium for the club and they have deemed Failsworth as the best option.

Im not saying we should blindly follow what the owners are doing, yes we should be challenging them all the way through build but I think too many people on here are focusing on what we are NOT getting instead of what we ARE getting.

I think we should just give up.

Lets all stop going to the match thereby sending the club into liquidation, then TTA can sell all of BP without the inconvienience of having to sort a football club out and have done with it. From what is being said on here it seems this is inevitable, so lets not prolong the agony and have it all done and dusted by the summer.

Oh and lets not wait for the facts, they just get in the way of a good doom and gloom story.

Lose the faith!!!!!

Haha I couldnt think of a better slogan for our club at the moment :lol:

As for the ground, I couldnt care less until I actually see what has been planned and even then if it doesnt even meet my expectations I know its still going to be a million times better than BP.

Haha I couldnt think of a better slogan for our club at the moment :lol:

As for the ground, I couldnt care less until I actually see what has been planned and even then if it doesnt even meet my expectations I know its still going to be a million times better than BP.

and what about the product on the pitch?

that the be all, end all really...its the reason we go..not because BP is a dump/the new stadium is classic.

my gut feeling is that this has the oxford utd story written all over it.

hope i'm wrong..

if you want to look after my business and my 2 kids ,i'll gladly go.

so ...is it a deal?

Johnny, I did clearly address that to Corp....

There is a clear difference between a cyber ninja and someone just opposed to the ground who is vociferous about it.

No way did I include you in my comment.

Unless you mistakenly replied under the wrong login

Nah, just kidding. :lol:

If we build a ground with no character like Colchester then I'm afraid I shall not be bothering travelling to Failsworth to watch the club play. I hate little tin pot souless grounds like that and to me it would be a slap in the face in terms of what they think the club means to the fans. This Stadium will represent our club for the next 50 years, so if our ground isn't upto standard I assume were happy being a lower league club forever.

I agree with this.

Do I want an 15k-20k quarter/half filled stadium or do I want a 10k-12k stadium that doesnt look empty every week but can expand if needed down the line? Option 2 for me all day long.

I'd rather have the 11/12k stadium, but it needs to have an element of uniqueness... I don't want it to be dull and lifeless looking if I'm intending to go there every other saturday afternoon.

To be honest, I will be happy if we get a new stadium. Colchesters is looking very good to me at the moment when I look at the state of BP.

Do I want an unique designed stadium? Yes but it would be way down the list of priorties. As long as the stadium is functional and we can build addtional reveue generating buildings alongside im happy.

Do I want it to be in Failsworth? No I would rather it built on the current site of BP but thats what happening. Some people feel we have a devine right to a new stadium but yet we dont have a long list of people waiting to build a new stadium for the club and they have deemed Failsworth as the best option.

Im not saying we should blindly follow what the owners are doing, yes we should be challenging them all the way through build but I think too many people on here are focusing on what we are NOT getting instead of what we ARE getting.

I compeletly agree with you.

QUOTE (oafckev @ Dec 2 2009, 14:57 PM)

If we build a ground with no character like Colchester then I'm afraid I shall not be bothering travelling to Failsworth to watch the club play. I hate little tin pot souless grounds like that and to me it would be a slap in the face in terms of what they think the club means to the fans. This Stadium will represent our club for the next 50 years, so if our ground isn't upto standard I assume were happy being a lower league club forever.

I agree with this.

Really?

2 of you are seriosuly thinking of not going because the stadium design might not be to your taste?

Oldham Till I Die, or the Architect pees me off.

:ktf:

There's a recession on, the plans are diluted becaue of lack of money. The TTA wanted an £80m super stadium before that.

If they thought so little they would have bailed when the plans were rejected, and they were very popular.

It's not even Chris Moore standards, he bailed even though the economy was booming.

I'd rather have the 11/12k stadium, but it needs to have an element of uniqueness... I don't want it to be dull and lifeless looking if I'm intending to go there every other saturday afternoon.

I hope you realise that by opting for an 11/12k (or is it 10k?) stadium, the club is spelling it out for you that they do not believe that there is ever going to be a prolonged period for the club in the second-tier of English football. After 37 years, this is not enough for me, and, judging by current attendances, neither is it enough for many others who grew up when the second-tier had been established as our natural home.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There's a recession on, the plans are diluted becaue of lack of money. The TTA wanted an £80m super stadium before that.

If they thought so little they would have bailed when the plans were rejected, and they were very popular.

It's not even Chris Moore standards, he bailed even though the economy was booming.

And the dilution finishes us as anything but a lower division outfit.

Johnny, I did clearly address that to Corp....

There is a clear difference between a cyber ninja and someone just opposed to the ground who is vociferous about it.

No way did I include you in my comment.

Unless you mistakenly replied under the wrong login

Nah, just kidding. :lol:

apologies. :)

im very passionate about getting what will be right for latics..and if i have to be very loud about it,i shall be.

some just say,"yep,that'll do"..others want to make sure before accepting.

its a one and only chance to get this completely right.

ive cited the oxford utd example because that is exactly what i fear..i'll let everyone else sun it up with the success stories..

but i'm way to old now to start accepting anything without questions.

creak ...creak!

Edited by johnny punkster

I agree with this.

Break out the flourecent paint then eh?

Simple fact is that the vast majority of the inside of a footy stadium is row upon row of plastic seats bolted to a terrace of concrete. And some grass in the open bit.

Do you REALLY care how the roof has been constructed? Whether it's McApline/reebok style of 4 straight stands or a bowl? So much that you wouldn't come?

"Ah well, I would have kept going but those roof trusses - just not to my taste"

So, come on what DO you want? 4 stands? Bowl? Reebok? McAlpine? What?

The life of any stadium is not made by the concrete and steel, it's the people in it.

I am genuinely astounded at the way people are going on here.

apologies. :)

im very passionate about getting what will be right for latics..and if i have to be very loud about it,i shall be.

some just say,"yep,that'll do"..others want to make sure before accepting.

its a one and only chance to get this completely right.

ive cited the oxford utd example because that is exactly what i fear..i'll let everyone else sun it up with the success stories..

but i'm way to old now to start accepting anything without questions.

creak ...creak!

No worries JP.

I have plenty of respect for the arguments you are putting forward, and accept that after Chris Moore we should be ensuring we are getting it right, and asking the TTA tought questions.

Of course the location is the biggest concern, I hope the TTA have done their research.

Its the repeating the same old stuff repetively, stating that it is inevitably permanent or trying to think of another excuse like the stadium looking pretty as a reason to oppose it that I have less time for.

Edited by singe

so an identikit stadium to bp then if were having open corners.....

would it be possible to fill the corners in at the initial construction stage,but not put the seats in and just leave them painted or something.....then it would be a case of right...its cheaper to buy seats and install than it is to go back to council for planning consent again,then the wait then the cost,which lets face it in 3 maybe 4 years time could be 3 times what they are now....plus a shuffle in council leadership could result in planning consent not being given

thoughts????

The major cost of filling in the corners is not in buying and bolting in a few thousand plastic seats. Its in the foundations and the structure that the seats bolt on to.

Not sure who used the word unique.

And not sure how you can make a stadium unique, what did you envisage?

Maybe SC was thinking of finding somewhere to fix the old Broadway stand's square clock.

Over 1,300 views of this thread now and still nobody has commented on Alan Hardy saying in writing:

"Obviously increased and better facilities for fans plus conferencing and banqueting will help us to bring in more off field revenue to invest into the team."

Latics fans never cease to surprise me!

I hope they have more ideas for all year round income than conferences, banquets and footy pitches.

I reckon they should keep back some of the BP land from housing developement and build a hotel &/or offices &/or a care home for the ageing OAPs and around BP and for aged Latics fans (those places make a fortune).

The conferences and banquets could then be done at the hotel instead of the stadium and thus the cost of building the new stadium would be less, enabling it to be built a little larger for the same money, maybe 13,500 without corners and 17,500 with corners.

Edited by laticsrblue

I think that's the best post I've seen on the subject so far. A lot of people seem to think it's impossible to be positive whilst at the same time questioning T4A, and vice versa. Instead of dividing into 2 opposing camps and arguing about who's best at predicting the future, how about we accept that fans need to work together during what is going to be a pivotal time for the future of OUR club?

Having said that I'd still prefer a stadium like Molde's than Colchester's, but as I'm not paying for it I won't kick off if we don't get it.

I think that's the best post I've seen on the subject so far. A lot of people seem to think it's impossible to be positive whilst at the same time questioning T4A, and vice versa. Instead of dividing into 2 opposing camps and arguing about who's best at predicting the future, how about we accept that fans need to work together during what is going to be a pivotal time for the future of OUR club?

Having said that I'd still prefer a stadium like Molde's than Colchester's, but as I'm not paying for it I won't kick off if we don't get it.

Just looked at the Molde stadium - 15k capacity and a little beauty - shows what can be done with imagination (and money...) :lol:

Just looked at the Molde stadium - 15k capacity and a little beauty - shows what can be done with imagination (and money...) :lol:

I agree, but our thoughts on the aesthetics will be largely ignored. By fan consultation for making the stadium unique we will probably at most get a statue of a legend. The stadium design will be very much like Colchester's or Shrewsbury's possibly built from the same plans as one of them to save on costs, which is fairly common practice.

unique

adjective

existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics.

having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable.

limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area.

limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.

not typical; unusual.

–noun

the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.

In todays age, I dont think anyone can build a unique ground par se, but we could look at making it have a different 'feel' (characteristics as mentioned in the noun form of the word) than others.

I think the fans in a way create the feel of inside the ground as much as the architecture.

unique

adjective

existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics.

having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable.

limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area.

limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.

not typical; unusual.

–noun

the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.

In todays age, I dont think anyone can build a unique ground par se, but we could look at making it have a different 'feel' (characteristics as mentioned in the noun form of the word) than others.

I think the fans in a way create the feel of inside the ground as much as the architecture.

Was about post something similar, for me the owners need to deliver to us a stadium that is functional, practical and economically viable. Once those foundations are in place we as fans and (although I can't count myself in this category) the local community need to be given the opportunity to give the stadium an aura or identity that will make it unique in the future. It takes a long period of time for a stadium to become unique and it shouldn't be the responsibility of stadium designers to make it that. It's our home. We will be there for the long period of time so we need to given the chance to make our own mark.

The big issue for me is what ways can we go about doing this.

Opinions?

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Was about post something similar, for me the owners need to deliver to us a stadium that is functional, practical and economically viable. Once those foundations are in place we as fans and (although I can't count myself in this category) the local community need to be given the opportunity to give the stadium an aura or identity that will make it unique in the future. It takes a long period of time for a stadium to become unique and it shouldn't be the responsibility of stadium designers to make it that. It's our home. We will be there for the long period of time so we need to given the chance to make our own mark.

The big issue for me is what ways can we go about doing this.

Opinions?

Facilities:-

Lounge for Kids - 2 actually; one for under 11s, another for over 11s (with some reasonable overlap allowed) in the same stand. Access for kids from other stands as much as possible.

Indoor bar/food area in all home stands.

Shop area within stands on match days (scarves, flags, badges, programmes, strike-it-lucky, a few other bits)

Exec boxes along one side, banqueting/exec seating on the other side

Personally I really do not care if we get the standard flat pack stadium... If it is around 12k in size and easily expandable to 16k then I can accept that...

I do want to make as much as the land as possible... and I want OAFC to receive the bulk of the profits... These are the important things... What the place actually looks like is the least of our concerns... The capacity is second... But the revenue potential / who owns what issues should be the first...

Location... Failsworth is closer to Warrington....

Edited by oafc0000

I do think the club need to be very careful here regarding the design of the stadium. We already have split opinions on the location with some ( myself included ) feeling very strongly about this. Now to throw up a souless lego stadium will further alienate those fans with the possibility of losing them long-term. We want a stadium to be proud of, not just a token gesture. If i do have to travel to failsworth i want it to be a pleasurable occasion not just done grudgingly.

I'm right behind lags' idea earlier in the thread, that appeals to me far more than getting a colchester replica.