Does it matter what league Latics are in ?

Some of my happiest times watching Latics were when they were in the old 4th division.

If you had a choice between the two, would you prefer to watch a winning team at a lower level or a losing team at a higher level ?

Tricky. Loved 62/63 and 70/71 getting promoted from the 4th but being in the top flight, getting the odd victory was probably just as good.

Edited by LaticsPete

+1

If we go down, the crowds will fall even further, and we will go bust.

this level or above

we have done it before and i think or would like to think we can do it again....i think we seriously missed the boat with dowies season....

but we need decent quality players who will give 100% every game all game,players who are up for a fight and play with a bit of pride and passion.

maybe i have been spoilt by watching those fantastic cup runs and going up and the premier league n all.....but i think dowies team is the closest we have come since

+1

If we go down, the crowds will fall even further, and we will go bust.

The crowds can't get much lower.

I've watched Latics in all 4 divs and don't care about the level, watching a winning team gives you a buzz and the resulting promotion brings a higher level and a momentum.

If we can get a winning team in Div 4 the crowds will come.

The crowds can't get much lower.

I've watched Latics in all 4 divs and don't care about the level, watching a winning team gives you a buzz and the resulting promotion brings a higher level and a momentum.

I tend to agree.

I tend to agree.

i disagree,think we are losing fans alll the time and not gaining any new ones,does anybody have any figures how many fans were lost when the broadway stand went? but for your question losing team in a higher division as theres no quick fix on coming back up with what we have at pressent.

In the past perhaps, when admission prices were next to nothing. But things have changed. A whole generation of fans has grown up watching Latics as an established second-tier club. These are the fans that now seem to be finally walking away in despair, after all the false dawns, at anything ever getting any better. I'm not sure many of them will be back in a hurry to watch football at a lower level still. And, as things stand, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll get a winning team in the fourth division.

I won't be going anymore if we go down. I've said that since 2005 when we nearly did.

In the past perhaps, when admission prices were next to nothing. But things have changed. A whole generation of fans has grown up watching Latics as an established second-tier club. These are the fans that now seem to be finally walking away in despair, after all the false dawns, at anything ever getting any better. I'm not sure many of them will be back in a hurry to watch football at a lower level still. And, as things stand, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll get a winning team in the fourth division.

I won't be going anymore if we go down. I've said that since 2005 when we nearly did.

That's me in a nutshell, if I walk I won't be coming back, it'll be too painful.

And I think there lies one major problem at the club. Those who have been brought up on a higher level of football have deserted the club, you can tell by the lack of groups of blokes in their 30s and 40s which follow us. There is a lot of young teenage fans and old fans (who will go week in week out regardless).

If we cant get these people to come back then the club needs to put all its efforts into attracting a new generation of fans who will get behind the team at this level and put money into the club.

And I think there lies one major problem at the club. Those who have been brought up on a higher level of football have deserted the club, you can tell by the lack of groups of blokes in their 30s and 40s which follow us. There is a lot of young teenage fans and old fans (who will go week in week out regardless).

If we cant get these people to come back then the club needs to put all its efforts into attracting a new generation of fans who will get behind the team at this level and put money into the club.

tbh this is how my 24 seasons have panned out

3 Seasons in the Top-Flight

8 Seasons in Championship/Div 1/Div2

13 Seasons in Div 2, League One

out of 23 completed seasons I've seen 10 top half finishes and 13 bottom half finishes, 1 promotion, 2 relegations, 4 near relegations, and 3 failed play off campaigns.

And I can truly say hand on heart, that even with Pav and Taylor in the team, it is the biggest pile of :censored: I have seen in all that time.

Why?

There were plenty of dark days under Royle, but we always had a go.

We were :censored: under Sharp but difficult to beat - even the season we went down, it was draws that cost us more than anything and we had attacking midfielders like Henry and Richardson.

Under Warnock it was crap, but we were decent at home and unbeaten until February at BP.

The football wasn't pretty under Moore, but we had strikers and midfielders that wanted to attack and shoot! Even the turd that was Butcher...

Under Talbot it was dire BUT we were still able to win 9 out of 10 and able to score 25 goals in the process

Even under Stitch in 98/99 you couldn't fault the players for effort, we just had kids playing up front and were a bit pants. But even then we had moments of brilliance like Tipton's late winner v Wrexham and the battling cup win at Brentford.

I've said all season that Penney's 4th division team will take us just there...

Edited by oafcprozac

The trouble is there is nowhere to attract them from. We are near-neighbours of both the richest club in the world and the self-proclaimed greatest club in the world. Even a majority of people within Oldham itself probably regard themselves primarily as supporters of one or the other. Ours is only a particularly acute example of a widespread problem: it's no surprise that most clubs at the lower end of the FL don't attract very big crowds, because, as we know, the football is of a poor standard and you can watch infinitely better for not much higher cost .

If the club loses its traditional fanbase it's had it, but it appears to be underway.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

tbh this is how my 24 seasons have panned out

3 Seasons in the Top-Flight

8 Seasons in Championship/Div 1/Div2

13 Seasons in Div 2, League One

out of 23 completed seasons I've seen 10 top half finishes and 13 bottom half finishes, 1 promotion, 2 relegations, 4 near relegations, and 3 failed play off campaigns.

And I can truly say hand on heart, that even with Pav and Taylor in the team, it is the biggest pile of :censored: I have seen in all that time.

Why?

There were plenty of dark days under Royle, but we always had a go.

We were :censored: under Sharp but difficult to beat - even the season we went down, it was draws that cost us more than anything and we had attacking midfielders like Henry and Richardson.

Under Warnock it was crap, but we were decent at home and unbeaten until February at BP.

The football wasn't pretty under Moore, but we had strikers and midfielders that wanted to attack and shoot! Even the turd that was Butcher...

Under Talbot it was dire BUT we were still able to win 9 out of 10 and able to score 25 goals in the process

Even under Stitch in 98/99 you couldn't fault the players for effort, we just had kids playing up front and were a bit pants. But even then we had moments of brilliance like Tipton's late winner v Wrexham and the battling cup win at Brentford.

I've said all season that Penney's 4th division team will take us just there...

We are about the same age and you have pretty sumed up my Oldham Career there...