Home truths

You are quite right to be pedantic. As you rightly indicate it is 70% of the 300 or so who registered an opinion in the poll. Thank you for pointing this out.

I thought someone should... Your quick to do it when on the attack... I found it amusing for you to use it on the defence :)

Yep at least score some goals while we're relegated, make it entertaining at least FFS. Agree with most of the post, the potential is there with the crowds, but not playing the most boring, disinterested football ever. I took a girl to a game a few weeks back and she said "they're not bad for part timers", she genuinely thought they were postmen etc lol

She was wrong - postmen deliver the goods. :wink:

Very good original post.

Not sure about the Duxbury for manager bit, though. If we were going to make an appointment to get some "Oldham blood to get stuck in", I don't think we can really look beyond Joe Royle or Ritchie, which limits us a bit.

This is a copy of a post on OAFC and makes some interesting obsevations!!!!!

Posted by VERYBORED [user Info] on 7/12/2009, 2:14 am

Greetings to you all - first time post and to be honest driven to it by all you purveyors of mediocrity(not all of you but most). After 35 years of die hard OAFC fanaticism i am compelled to put it to you straight.

To those that will happily watch my beloved OAFC die as a competitive football team (and maybe as a club)- please carry on with your pacifist acceptance of the sheer garbage that is currently employed at Boundary Park. In 35 years i have not seen such a destructive period at the club, one that has been so hard to stomach in terms of the attitude of those in charge and those on the pitch.

Firstly the management/ ownership. Forget the ground move, this is side show to current events. The manager has zero interest in rapport with the fans; I just cannot get any sort of feeling for his devotion to the job or to the fans. As a man i can't identify with him because he is such a none event. His signings, whilst made hastily,are universally poor and i think we all know this. Whatever the reason he has employed the wrong staff - but this does not excuse him from dismissing those he inherited in such a ridiculous way. He is yet another manager that will stubbornly use the players that he has brought to the club at the expense of others and to me this has proved criminal with the performances of Dean Brill and the absence of any striking options whilst O'Grady is out of the club and Alessandra is injured whilst out of the club.

Signings and players

Joe Colbeck - chief wimp, wouldn't want him working in my company if things got tough. The man is not focussed on winning, he is too focussed on avoiding being in the right place at the right time.

Dean Furman - headless chicken and terrible passer of the ball. Whether he has a pit bull at his side or not he will not score goals and he will not make the killer pass.

Kiegan Parker - the most shamefully self-interested player to wear the shirt for many years. How do you motivate this idiot?

Joe Jacobson - who knows, but i'll have a bet.

Jon Worthington - defensive, hard tackler? Squad player for me.

Andy Holdsworth - Squad player.

Rob Purdie - ?????

Whittaker - abandoning his team and fans every week now.

Smalley - same old none committed, just get by attitude.

Pawel Abbott - OK

Sean Gregan - the only committed / talented player we have week after week.

The point is that a good manager would at least be able to get this team to try - The only exception and very visible exception is Gregan whom must be totally amazed at the attitude of his team mates, including those players Penney has not signed. Whittaker and Smalley's attitude is a disgrace at the moment. I have seen better from Whittaker but never from Smalley and for me he is always been weak mentally. He is no longer a kid and he just doesn't want it enough.

Did you all know that we employ 38 players and yet we all complain that we have no money - 38 weekly salaries for players!!!!!! minus 1 for O'Grady.

Ok to the point

If Gregan can demonstrate the will to win every week why can't the rest of the team. The manager must motivate these guys to better things. I'm sorry but if i see energy and determination from only one team member and this is allowed to be the way week in week out then i don't accept it.

This also goes for the fans. If we accept that this is the case then it will be so.

I have seen many comments on here that we are a small club, few fans, crap ground etc etc and this is the wrong attitude. We were small, poorly equipped and followed by few 20 years ago. Boundary Park has always been poor and not having the Ford Stand did not stop us being top of the division this time last year!!! If we tell the football world that it's OK to come to play with Oldham and take the mickey out of us then they will or its OK not to try because we will put up with it then thats what we get. We have high standards and always have had and it's nothing to be ashamed about. Believe me if you carry on accepting mediocrity then that is what you will get. Try this - with crowds of 3000 we built a premiership football team watched by 20000 every week and we did it through good management and shrewd buying. That is the benchmark, just like Barnsley, Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Blackpool and to a lesser extent Wigan.

On to the owners - if ever they needed to get the fans involved then this is it. I cannot understand why they are now so distant from events. Enough criticism through various channels of the dwindling numbers of fans. The fans have gone because the entertainment has been so poor for 10 months. Joes return saw the immediate potential at 7000 fans - give them the entertainment and they will be back. These guys need to put the focus on the team and manager to get the fans back and not to blame the fans for desertion. The team has deserted the fans. I still can't believe we are in this position today having been top of the league this time last year. What on earth were they doing allowing Joe to rip the team apart if he was not staying? I hold TTA culpable of the football position we are in today. They have allowed the team to be ripped apart and have made the wrong appointment. Its time to engage the fans and understand them because surely the c..p on the field has been noticed. Time for a little pressure on Mr Penney and a lot of pressure on the team. Without the fans the club will die, without Penney it will not. For me get Lee Duxbury in charge quick. Time for some Oldham blood to get stuck in and remind these players that we are not a gravy train.

Final point - just imagine you are working for a company and all the sales team fail to deliver every week and from your position in the office you know its mainly down to effort. Your job is at risk because they arent trying, guess what you do - what you don't do is stick your head in the sand and hope it all works out because it doesn't. Stop the blind acceptance that things are OK because they are not - this is the worst football that any of us have seen in 35 years!!!! 15 goals in 20 games!!! Act now or you will be watching Div 2 football next year.

Please do not give the players any more excuses by saying that as a small club with few fans and a poor ground we deserve it because we don't!!!!!! If you point to the economics i will point to the fact that we are in the top 75 clubs in the country and there is are thousands of footballers out there looking for a game.

Agree with everything there apart from the bold bit - abbott has been more than ok, in my opinion he has been fantastic, a breath of fresh air in this c*** team

ok, havnt posted for a while as have been too hacked off to bother but here goes ..

have followed latics thru thick and thin over past 40 years - from the dark days of division 4 with its re-elections thru the glory years and back to the third tier - started to work out how much ive spent - ST.s, coach fares, petrol, beers, pies and b&bs and the rest - probably a kings ransom but overall I have enjoyed every minute.

Even in the darker times we always had triers who grafted for the shirt and good loyal players who despite lacking the finer skills more than made up for it wirth effort and passion - Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle, Stainrod, Tony Carrs, David Eyres and even Craig Dudley who always ran his heart out for the 'Tics. Then the stars - Alan Groves, Stitch, Ricky Holden and to some extent Vic Hallom, Roger Palmer etc.

From cup games in the snow at Chesterfield , Formby, Barrow, Newport County and Kings Lynn. Cardiff away on a friday night (not for the faint hearted!) to Wemberlee, Anfield, Highbury, the victories at Main Rd against citeh, Maurices goal at York away with half of Oldham packed into the ground, Beatin red sox at BP (maurice again !), Scunny away with Gary Mac scoring in the 95th min or Eyres away at Stockport same, Everton in FA cup both recent and further away, Ipswich away (Marshallllll !!) to Scotty Vernons poke into the Citeh net ..... oh happy days and well worth the journey. Until now.

Was a little concerned when DP took over as was worried about style of football we would be served up but got ST nevertheless. It always worries me when a new manager gets in and brings his old muckers in - 3 or 4 ok but to decimate a side and replace with non-entity mercanaries is courting disaster. Ronnie Moore tried it and we got Swailes, Rob Scott and Lincoln boy. Lessons learned eh ?

Loan players - playing for wages and dont give two about the club that employs them. To me that has been a significant factor in our demise over the years - they dont offer stability, continuity, progression or passion. To see a new Latics team full of below average journeymen on contracts and a sprinkling of couldntgivea:censored: loanees depressed me but, hey-ho , lets see what happens ...

Turgid, negative, passionless crap. What else could we expect. Although have ST couldnt be arsed with Leeds game - unthinkable to me previously but seemed a natural choice actually. Got offer of day out in manc for Colchester game and had great time and didnt even try to get update on score. Why ?? - bored senseless with shyte on the pitch.

When the fixtures came out had Norwich away as banker - used to go to college there and know all the pubs intimately. Even booked b&b at start of season. When friday came just couldnt be arsed spending a few hundred quid to have it ruined by a gutless performance. A wise choice as it turned out.

So what now - I have ST but wont be going again for a while as feel totally let down by gutless, passionless mercanaries. Believe me - I dont expect us to win every week but I do like to see us attack and compete. I'm not saying the players dont try - its just that they dont really care - and that does make a difference.

So, with the horrific prospect of selling my soul to Failsworth on the horizon (never in a month of sundays would I ever support a sellout to that suburb of manchester, a million miles for the true grit philosophy of Oldham that has sustained my support these past 40 years), I reckon its time to say enoughs enough and youve had enough of my cash already and , as the Dragons say 'I'm out !'.

The club is dying on its arse and I cant bear to watch people who dont give two :censored:s sell us down the river.

RIP Latics, it was great knowing you !

ok, havnt posted for a while as have been too hacked off to bother but here goes ..

have followed latics thru thick and thin over past 40 years - from the dark days of division 4 with its re-elections thru the glory years and back to the third tier - started to work out how much ive spent - ST.s, coach fares, petrol, beers, pies and b&bs and the rest - probably a kings ransom but overall I have enjoyed every minute.

Even in the darker times we always had triers who grafted for the shirt and good loyal players who despite lacking the finer skills more than made up for it wirth effort and passion - Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle, Stainrod, Tony Carrs, David Eyres and even Craig Dudley who always ran his heart out for the 'Tics. Then the stars - Alan Groves, Stitch, Ricky Holden and to some extent Vic Hallom, Roger Palmer etc.

From cup games in the snow at Chesterfield , Formby, Barrow, Newport County and Kings Lynn. Cardiff away on a friday night (not for the faint hearted!) to Wemberlee, Anfield, Highbury, the victories at Main Rd against citeh, Maurices goal at York away with half of Oldham packed into the ground, Beatin red sox at BP (maurice again !), Scunny away with Gary Mac scoring in the 95th min or Eyres away at Stockport same, Everton in FA cup both recent and further away, Ipswich away (Marshallllll !!) to Scotty Vernons poke into the Citeh net ..... oh happy days and well worth the journey. Until now.

Was a little concerned when DP took over as was worried about style of football we would be served up but got ST nevertheless. It always worries me when a new manager gets in and brings his old muckers in - 3 or 4 ok but to decimate a side and replace with non-entity mercanaries is courting disaster. Ronnie Moore tried it and we got Swailes, Rob Scott and Lincoln boy. Lessons learned eh ?

Loan players - playing for wages and dont give two about the club that employs them. To me that has been a significant factor in our demise over the years - they dont offer stability, continuity, progression or passion. To see a new Latics team full of below average journeymen on contracts and a sprinkling of couldntgivea:censored: loanees depressed me but, hey-ho , lets see what happens ...

Turgid, negative, passionless crap. What else could we expect. Although have ST couldnt be arsed with Leeds game - unthinkable to me previously but seemed a natural choice actually. Got offer of day out in manc for Colchester game and had great time and didnt even try to get update on score. Why ?? - bored senseless with shyte on the pitch.

When the fixtures came out had Norwich away as banker - used to go to college there and know all the pubs intimately. Even booked b&b at start of season. When friday came just couldnt be arsed spending a few hundred quid to have it ruined by a gutless performance. A wise choice as it turned out.

So what now - I have ST but wont be going again for a while as feel totally let down by gutless, passionless mercanaries. Believe me - I dont expect us to win every week but I do like to see us attack and compete. I'm not saying the players dont try - its just that they dont really care - and that does make a difference.

So, with the horrific prospect of selling my soul to Failsworth on the horizon (never in a month of sundays would I ever support a sellout to that suburb of manchester, a million miles for the true grit philosophy of Oldham that has sustained my support these past 40 years), I reckon its time to say enoughs enough and youve had enough of my cash already and , as the Dragons say 'I'm out !'.

The club is dying on its arse and I cant bear to watch people who dont give two :censored:s sell us down the river.

RIP Latics, it was great knowing you !

Same here mate, we were hammered with two big bills a couple of weeks ago and even though my boy was supposed to be mascot, after shelling out the best part of £700 on repairs, there was know way I could justify nigh on another £400 for the weekend in Norwich for the four of us. So we spent a quarter of that on getting trollied and summat to eat in Manchester instead, had a cracking day and didn't see the result until 6 o'clock. My reaction? Meh!

I can cope with us being a bit :censored:, I mean FFS! I chose Latics over everyone else, what I can't stand is a team that is beaten before it gets on the pitch, the turnover of disinterested tossers doubling as footballers, the conveyor belt of mediocre managers and coaches and above all owners that are quickly becoming wolves in sheep's clothing...

Come the summer Mr. Blue Mist, I'll be joining you...

Edited by oafcprozac

Same here mate, we were hammered with two big bills a couple of weeks ago and even though my boy was supposed to be mascot, after shelling out the best part of £700 on repairs, there was know way I could justify nigh on another £400 for the weekend in Norwich for the four of us. So we spent a quarter of that on getting trollied and summat to eat in Manchester instead, had a cracking day and didn't see the result until 6 o'clock. My reaction? Meh!

I can cope with us being a bit :censored:, I mean FFS! I chose Latics over everyone else, what I can't stand is a team that is beaten before it gets on the pitch, the turnover of disinterested tossers doubling as footballers, the conveyor belt of mediocre managers and coaches and above all owners that are quickly becoming wolves in sheep's clothing...

Myself included in this, I worked away for 10 years so missed a lot of Latics, but when I finally came back I started going to games again the first being Boxing day at home against Lincoln where I think we lost, Ritchie was in charge. Since then I have been a die hard supporter, West Ham on a wednesday night Carlo Corrazin 1-0 being among the highlights, awesome night got home at 5am on the Thursday morning and into work at 6! But after the garbage that has been served up this season I too am out! As I feel right now, never too return!

Next October should see me celebrating 50 years since my first visit to BP but unfortunately I won't be there.

I have seen numerous changes in ownership,managers and players but I have never once considered not going to watch the Tics.

For the first time in my life, things have changed.

I have been a season ticket holder for probably 30 of the last 50 years but for the first time ever I actually have to think about whether I will go to matches now.

I have seen far worse teams than we currently have but I have never felt as disinterested as I do now.

Regardless of how stupid previous owners such as Harry Massey might have been,they still had the best interests of OAFC at heart.

SC and his co-owners may well have had the best intentions of the club at heart initially but it now appears to be all about how much they can salvage for their personal fortunes before they do a runner and leave us in a place where real Tics fans don't want to be and likewise in a place where the locals don't want us.

Surely if TTA had done their homework they would have realised that no amount of new stadiums,gimmicks,price cuts would have worked,the only thing that will increase attendences at OAFC (no matter where they play) is a top of the table team playing good football and SCORING GOALS.

This lot couldn't organise a piss up at a dog track(sorry of course they could and look where that left us).

Sorry to admit that I am feeling the same... and my best mate (who was once voted top fan of the year in the UK as a Latics fan) has bought a Blackburn Season Ticket.

I will still make matches but nowhere near as many. The club/team doesn't feel mine anymore. If they vanished I would not feel the same as I did when Moore did the dirt.. it has been beaten out of me.

MMM, Me and my mate in same boat,and he has been to Charlton, Gillingham and the like THIS season. as somebody said earlier we never used to go into games against higher placed opposition treating them like Real Madrid,in fact over the biggest part of the Royle and Frizzell eras we beat all the top teams in our division at some stage (OK Villa 0-6 at home-you do get the odd exception!).

I probably know a lot of the 35 year plus Guys who have posted, I would never have dreamt 12 months ago that they would ever be feeling like this!

Sorry to admit that I am feeling the same... and my best mate (who was once voted top fan of the year in the UK as a Latics fan) has bought a Blackburn Season Ticket.

I will still make matches but nowhere near as many. The club/team doesn't feel mine anymore. If they vanished I would not feel the same as I did when Moore did the dirt.. it has been beaten out of me.

Dropped a bollock when they gave him that award then.

Must admit, I wouldnt ever support another League team but would put more time and effort into my local amateur club and my lads Junior team.

We are all at a low ebb right now. The likes of Huddersfield and Halifax have been through as bad and maybe worse I dare say and come through it, we can do the same can't we? I'm certainly not preaching from the high ground myself as I've been :censored: ever since the back end of last season but I'm not willing to give it all up. It's too easy, too, "X Factor." It's good sometimes, rubbish sometimes, lets hope its good again soon.

Dropped a bollock when they gave him that award then.

He was maybe going home and away every week and probably deserved it...............You have to admit when somebody like that stops going it does make you think!

I've read lots of posts over the last few days and a fair amount of supporters would seem to have had enough...Even in the Ronnie Moore days it didn't feel as bad as this, if we have a poor December god knows how bad it will get!

It seems like people are resigned to the fact we are in decline and what's even more worrying is the majority don't seem to care anymore!!!

He was maybe going home and away every week and probably deserved it...............You have to admit when somebody like that stops going it does make you think!

I've read lots of posts over the last few days and a fair amount of supporters would seem to have had enough...Even in the Ronnie Moore days it didn't feel as bad as this, if we have a poor December god knows how bad it will get!

It seems like people are resigned to the fact we are in decline and what's even more worrying is the majority don't seem to care anymore!!!

He got it in the 1970's when nobody went to 100% all home and away: no credit cards you had to work to find the cash and as a student that was hard - and the award was given by a newspaper not the club. No BBC Radio Manchester, No Sky Sports etc. etc.

We are all at a low ebb right now. The likes of Huddersfield and Halifax have been through as bad and maybe worse I dare say and come through it, we can do the same can't we? I'm certainly not preaching from the high ground myself as I've been :censored: ever since the back end of last season but I'm not willing to give it all up. It's too easy, too, "X Factor." It's good sometimes, rubbish sometimes, lets hope its good again soon.

Halifax have come through it?

Edited by Corporal_Jones