Fans love a good scapegoat...

Predicted in the summer what would happen under Penney. Some very vocal people on here for his head. Answer me the following then:

How on earth do you expect us as a club to go from targeting players and coming up against the likes of ambitious clubs like Doncaster and Blackpool etc. as we did over the years, to this now...asking the new manager to go bargain hunting, taking players from reserve sides in this league or from Lge 2. Our competitor was Donny in the transfer market, now it is 'Dale!!! We can't even entice that young lad here (can't think of his name) who has decided to try his luck at Crewe!!!

Silk purse from a sows ear...blood from a stone...ain't going to happen. Sing and shout all you like about Penney...I'll judge him once he's given some money to bring in the likes of Heffernan and one or two others with calibre and not some risky gambles which money currently dictates. Either TTA back their man in the next 10 days or...well, I'll be wondering if my cynical League 2 Championship Winners in our 1st season in Failsworth "dream" is the actual plan in motion now!!! I want to be proven wrong!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predicted in the summer what would happen under Penney. Some very vocal people on here for his head. Answer me the following then:

How on earth do you expect us as a club to go from targeting players and coming up against the likes of ambitious clubs like Doncaster and Blackpool etc. as we did over the years, to this now...asking the new manager to go bargain hunting, taking players from reserve sides in this league or from Lge 2. Our competitor was Donny in the transfer market, now it is 'Dale!!! We can't even entice that young lad here (can't think of his name) who has decided to try his luck at Crewe!!!

Silk purse from a sows ear...blood from a stone...ain't going to happen. Sing and shout all you like about Penney...I'll judge him once he's given some money to bring in the likes of Heffernan and one or two others with calibre and not some risky gambles which money currently dictates. Either TTA back their man in the next 10 days or...well, I'll be wondering if my cynical League 2 Championship Winners in our 1st season in Failsworth "dream" is the actual plan in motion now!!! I want to be proven wrong!!!

I agree with you about the budget, but the tactics are unforgivable. Ritchie probably had 20% of Penney's budget but at least we had a go. That's what's getting most people's goats. Sacking Ronnie was a big mistake, we've all had fun at his expense, but personally I liked the guy and renewed my season ticket before his sacking. Serious questions have been asked of the owners, they've been swept under the carpet so people are now voting with the feet - the football's dire but the state of the club as a whole is direr (sic) still...

Edited by oafcprozac

Fans are leaving because of the ambition...the only ones being shown are completely off the field (no promise of investment to the team, even if we get to Failsworth) and a good percentage of those still here don't want Failsworth. Those left behind heckle, ironic cheer and boo....everyone is to blame in this mess and it's feeling pretty much irreversible. I really don't see any other manager having a chance with what Penneys got given (budget and our lot who like it or not, hold us back)...and do we want the same fans favourite debacle as the last one?

The answer isn't a sacking...the answer is some investment on the field...if TTA aren't prepared to do it...then to use your phrase, they need to "get off the pot"...take a loss and sell up and let someone else have a go. Commercially, TTA have been a disaster...scoreboard anyone? On-the-field...we were getting it right till they took a massive wrong turn and gave into the fans. Another disaster! Now...they've had enough of us, the fan. It's all about the move....and the rest get to see stagnation and obliteration....

Enjoy the ride folks!

He's had money and he's spent it on Furman and Colbeck....he made wholesale changes in the summer when really he didn't have a clue how good or bad our squad was apart from a little advice from Big Joe.

The players he's brought in are certainly no better and possibly worse than we already had....he's signed them all and must be held accountable!!

He wanted hungrier and fitter players ( His words!!! )............have we got em? Have we hell!!!!

Four or five signings in the summer including a CB and another striker followed by another few adjustments in this window and I think he would have faired much better!!!

i would like to know if they are ACTIVELY looking to sell the club NOW...

and i emphasis the word ACTIVELY .

or are they just waiting till the failsworth "disaster waiting to happen" project to be approved and cashing in at the right time, or if it is rejected, then ACTIVELY looking to sell if that fails?

everything is on the market these days, but you have to ACTIVELY make your product known to be for sale for offers to arrive.

Edited by johnny punkster

He's had money and he's spent it on Furman and Colbeck....he made wholesale changes in the summer when really he didn't have a clue how good or bad our squad was apart from a little advice from Big Joe.

The players he's brought in are certainly no better and possibly worse than we already had....he's signed them all and must be held accountable!!

He wanted hungrier and fitter players ( His words!!! )............have we got em? Have we hell!!!!

Four or five signings in the summer including a CB and another striker followed by another few adjustments in this window and I think he would have faired much better!!!

Still not played his first XI'

Agree Furmans a bad'un...but spent what on him exactly? Was a free signing. Holdsworth was the player to cover CB but again, he's injured. As for last seasons side, take out Hughes and I don't see much difference at all. And Shez would've been in this situation now. Only two concerns I have is what was reportedly spent on Colbeck, if true!!! (More spin from TTA who like to keep sales fees quiet but surprisingly sing about us signing a lower lge player for that fee??? Come on...do me a favour!) and him persisting with Casper (Whittaker). Other than that, I still fail to see what else he, you, I or another manager could do with everything (but money) that's been thrown at him. Including 17 southern teams...a land we've always struggled in! We've little option other than for TTA to back him...properly on some calibre.

I agree with you about the budget, but the tactics are unforgivable. Ritchie probably had 20% of Penney's budget but at least we had a go. That's what's getting most people's goats. Sacking Ronnie was a big mistake, we've all had fun at his expense, but personally I liked the guy and renewed my season ticket before his sacking. Serious questions have been asked of the owners, they've been swept under the carpet so people are now voting with the feet - the football's dire but the state of the club as a whole is direr (sic) still...

Just my opinion but I remember coming away from BP in Ritchie's era after many inept performance. So it wasnt all rosy. The difference between then and now is the fans knew we were :censored: back then and staying up was often seen as a bonus. I feel that now there is some misguided expectation that we are one of the big boys, when in reality the quality has been on a steady decline since they backed Ronnie, with Shez getting that team in the play offs.

For whatever reason we have not replaced the likes of Wellens, Eardley and Porter etc. I think that is a mixture of lack of backing from TTA and :censored:e buys by the likes of Shez and Penney which has seen the team get worse and worse.

BB8, are you happy for Penny to relegate us before he is sacked because the way things are going that is exactly what is going to happen!? BTW, agree that TTA were wrong to sack Ronnie Moore! However, you cannot compare the two as we are in serious relegation trouble this season :(

Edited by laticsmad

Said it for a while there is no good news or vibe coming out of BP. Everything around the club that we know of is falling to bits. Yet we now have the added funding burden of providing players Breakfast's and dinner's...what's the use in that? if you can't tell a professional what to eat and expect him to adhear too it, get rid. I just wonder what mind set the players are in? If it's the same as the fans we are in big trouble.

Edited by Lags

i think BB80 makes some good points...

I stuck up for both Shez and Ronnie... Thought both sackings where either wrong or ill timed...

I am told Penney has the same budget as Shez had (it might be lie / it might be true...how would I know)... If this is true and taking into account the suggestions of poor tactics / I never faniced him much from the start / and the league position, I would not shed a tear if he was sacked...

All this said there is no doubting most of BB80s points. I find it annoying that some of are more informed users who have been giving me mouth fulls since Penneys appointment for daring to suggest Penney was not all that great of an appointment...all the way up until a week or two ago are now all looking to drive him out. Its so fecking fickle...

Getting out this league will no doubt require more than the budget Shez had to work to now... The opposition is now bigger and more wealthy it would seem...

Lets face it though, TTA cant / wont do more than they are doing... I am just hoping for new owners in the future more than I am a new manager...

BB8, are you happy for Penny to relegate us before he is sacked because the way things are going that is exactly what is going to happen!? BTW, agree that TTA were wrong to sack Ronnie Moore! However, you cannot compare the two as we are in serious relegation trouble this season :(

Not at all, but as stated, he's not even played his first XI yet. Lots of points to play for. And I'm hoping TTA back him. As pointed out elsewhere, 3pts seperate us and several teams. Win a few and we'll be moving...yeah, seems a way off but last night was going to be difficult in what might as well been a pre-season game with the little pitch time we've had.

I'm not unfazed by whats going on and I see Penney a bit like I saw McLaren with England...there for the ride (down to Failsworth.) After Millwall and Brentford, I'll be more concerned if we're still looking desperate, unfit and without new additions.

I am told Penney has the same budget as Shez had

Shez had 2 years of a decent budget...then a lowered 3rd year budget ( as he was expected to have his squad in place.) Penney does have the same budget as Shez....in Shez's 3rd year that is! This is where the big difference is...if he'd have the one Shez had for the 1st two years then this season would be a lot different IMO.

Sorry mate but there has to be enough strength in depth to ensure relegation is not a problem. He has Taylor and Abbot back and we still sound poor.

You honestly expect them to be fit and up with the pace after 1 game and 20 mins at Hartlepool, in 32 days of Latics football?

You honestly expect them to be fit and up with the pace after 1 game and 20 mins at Hartlepool, in 32 days of Latics football?

If they are fit enough to make the team then yes to be frank... If you are talking about sharpness then you might have a point... But still I would expect the raw quality of our"best" players to make a difference...

At which point are you expecting these players to be considered fully match fit / sharp ?

We are a League One team and as such we will always have a small squad and will have injury problem... More important you have strength in the depth you have... Do you think we have any strength in depth because I see little evidence of it...

A manager will be judge off his worse 11 as he will his best...

Shez had 2 years of a decent budget...then a lowered 3rd year budget ( as he was expected to have his squad in place.) Penney does have the same budget as Shez....in Shez's 3rd year that is! This is where the big difference is...if he'd have the one Shez had for the 1st two years then this season would be a lot different IMO.

Without a crystal ball and having only his previous to go on I come to the opposite conclusion..

What a load of old crap! Hardly anyone down where we are has a budget. We are not blessed with good players granted, however camped out almost all last night in our own half against a side who have constantly been battered all season just shows how negative he is. We couldnt break out of our half several times and when we did we had 8 players behind the ball with no shape or effort to attack. People like you will still be saying give him a chance in another 9 or 10 months when you are watching League 2 football in front of 1,500 fans at home!

Me????......................................... I wont be going anymore. Look at the crowds. If TTA dont act soon and get rid of him and his negative style we will be another 1000 or so down on an all ready dwindling gate! Even Brian Talbot was more attack minded!

Fans are leaving because of the ambition...the only ones being shown are completely off the field (no promise of investment to the team, even if we get to Failsworth) and a good percentage of those still here don't want Failsworth. Those left behind heckle, ironic cheer and boo....everyone is to blame in this mess and it's feeling pretty much irreversible. I really don't see any other manager having a chance with what Penneys got given (budget and our lot who like it or not, hold us back)...and do we want the same fans favourite debacle as the last one?

The answer isn't a sacking...the answer is some investment on the field...if TTA aren't prepared to do it...then to use your phrase, they need to "get off the pot"...take a loss and sell up and let someone else have a go. Commercially, TTA have been a disaster...scoreboard anyone? On-the-field...we were getting it right till they took a massive wrong turn and gave into the fans. Another disaster! Now...they've had enough of us, the fan. It's all about the move....and the rest get to see stagnation and obliteration....

Enjoy the ride folks!

Bullseye Ross. Couldn't agree with you more. The tactics are abysmal but that merely masks a greater issue.

In all honesty, the sooner we move to Failsworth the better. Get it out of the way, say cheerio and thankyou to TTA and all parties move on. A pretty sorry end to the regime but a fresh start, with (I assume) no debts and an improved chance of fresh investment by people with fresh ideas.

If it doesn't happen, I really can't see TTA hanging around any longer, and I certainly can't see anyone investing whatsoever, with one of the worst council's in the country and a list of horror stories as long as your arm. The outlook is even bleaker should Failsworth not happen now.

This argument about him never having been able to play his first XI is a worry....I mean if we did have a full strength side we would still have big problems. We would still only have one fully fit striker. We would still only be one centre back injury/suspension from disaster. We would still have an awful keeper. We would still have fullbacks who are scared to venture out side our own half. We would still have a poor right winger. And we would still have an unadventurous midfield.

I'd still back him though.

The only way we are going to go forward is with a big investment, without that investment on the pitch we are going down simple as that.

I belive any manager would strugle at oafc, i know everyone hates chris moore etc but tbh he gave us excitement and he had balls to put the cash in im sure he didnt want his cash to run outand oldham to go into administration pitty his bizz :censored:ed up or we would be a championship side now.

The only way we are going to go forward is with a big investment, without that investment on the pitch we are going down simple as that.

I belive any manager would strugle at oafc, i know everyone hates chris moore etc but tbh he gave us excitement and he had balls to put the cash in im sure he didnt want his cash to run outand oldham to go into administration pitty his bizz :censored:ed up or we would be a championship side now.

Chris Moore's big problem was firstly he was naieve he though it only cost a few million to get to the premiership once he realised how much it was going to cost him about £30million then and probably about £50million now he got out. The second problem was that he lied telling us repeatedly that he wasn't going to walk away from the club and then hanging us all out to dry we really don't want someone like that running our club. Remember him leading the applause on the lap of honour at the last home game of the play off season. Quite happy to have his ego massaged wasn't he.

To a certain extent I agree; the blame lies elsewhere. However, Penney has, albeit in difficult circumstances, done little to suggest he's the manager he was billed as when he took over.

I have repeated myself in saying that I wasn't impressed by Penney's appointment. I remain unimpressed but that's not to say I want to see him sacked, because for one thing he's not had a fair crack of the whip, nor will he if he persists with such mindnumbingly negative tactics. For another, no manager will arrest the club's long-term decline.

The main problem we have is being 'backed' by a group of people who lost interest some time ago and who are hanging around in order to salvage as much as possible before disappearing, leaving the club, at least in some respects, worse off than when they arrived.

What a load of old crap! Hardly anyone down where we are has a budget. We are not blessed with good players granted, however camped out almost all last night in our own half against a side who have constantly been battered all season just shows how negative he is. We couldnt break out of our half several times and when we did we had 8 players behind the ball with no shape or effort to attack. People like you will still be saying give him a chance in another 9 or 10 months when you are watching League 2 football in front of 1,500 fans at home!

Me????......................................... I wont be going anymore. Look at the crowds. If TTA dont act soon and get rid of him and his negative style we will be another 1000 or so down on an all ready dwindling gate! Even Brian Talbot was more attack minded!

I agree - the budget excuse holds no water for me. Does 11 cr@p players in a starting line-up mean we don't try to win ANY games, regardless of the opposition?

I see his post-match interview was the usual generalised drivel. Has he once come out this season and said "We were awful" or even had a go at the referee - at least that would show a bit of enthusiasm. Can't ever imagine him having a go at the players for a poor performance.

I've said it before, there might be a few who have given up the ghost because of Failsworth, TTA, etc. but I reckon the majority are missing because the football is just dire.