Stadium Plans Thread

But hey, some people need to find something to complain about. If it had all 4 corners, it'd have been the "didn't want a bowl".

OMG some people just can't resist it..........REAL, I usually have a lot of respect for your posts but that comment is tosh

are you really suggesting that people should veiw whats on offer and accept something completely different

I, like DAZLATIC, walked away from the stadium plans thinking 'get in there, i'll go for that'...............that was no tale.....so was that wrong of me?

.........and before anybody starts with this negativity drivel, I am behind whatever keeps this club afloat..........but when the club ask fans for their opinion - i'll give it to them without glossing it up

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG some people just can't resist it..........REAL, I usually have a lot of respect for your posts but that comment is tosh

are you really suggesting that people should veiw whats on offer and accept something completely different

I, like DAZLATIC, walked away from the stadium plans thinking 'get in there, i'll go for that'...............that was no tale.....so was that wrong of me?

.........and before anybody starts with this negativity drivel, I am behind whatever keeps this club afloat..........but when the club ask fans for their opinion - i'll give it to them without glossing it up

before the plans were even graphite in a pencil some people were saying "I don't want a bowl" whilst others were saying "I don't want 4 stands" and most were saying "we want unique" - unique is not determined by how many corners the ground does/doesn't have - there are 4 sided/1 cornered /2 /3 cornered and full bowls. The main stand proposal is what will make it unique.

Daz illustrated his view when walking out by reciting a list of facilities/attractions, the only thing that would drop from that list is the 2 corners. And who the hell wants to watch footy from a corner anyway? And does the look of the stadium in terms of having/not having corners affect whether people will support at club even by the tiniest margin? Nah. I don't think so.

before the plans were even graphite in a pencil some people were saying "I don't want a bowl" whilst others were saying "I don't want 4 stands" and most were saying "we want unique" - unique is not determined by how many corners the ground does/doesn't have - there are 4 sided/1 cornered /2 /3 cornered and full bowls. The main stand proposal is what will make it unique.

Daz illustrated his view when walking out by reciting a list of facilities/attractions, the only thing that would drop from that list is the 2 corners. And who the hell wants to watch footy from a corner anyway? And does the look of the stadium in terms of having/not having corners affect whether people will support at club even by the tiniest margin? Nah. I don't think so.

i dont understand why people are worried about the capacity of the stadium. we average 5 thousand fans if that! maybe if we started filling the stadium at bp they would have thought about making it bigger.

Fair enough, although I have not read that in this post..........my posts are regarding what I found myself. I went to the stadium to see the plans and what the club had proposed......I was very happy with what I found only to get mixed messages from the fans on this forum the same night. Although I thought I had seen the plans that were to be submitted plus some revised planning tweeks, I will now await the so called FINAL plans that are being talked about.

And does the look of the stadium in terms of having/not having corners affect whether people will support at club even by the tiniest margin? Nah. I don't think so.

It shouldn't but I can't speak for the fickle fans amongst us!!

A question for you though...........are you happy with the plans that have been posted on the OS / available for veiwing at the ground and the possible money generating spin offs ? .......afterall the club are asking for your opinion....my issue is that it seems they have not shown me what some are saying is going to be submitted for approval :shock:

Therefore my answer is YES, I'm very happy with the plans I have seen............oh wait a minute, we are not building that are we!!

Other than aesthetics though, how will the corners make a difference? It will still have unique features (mill references) and can still have income generating facilites.

You've really, really been hood-winked. Everything in your little tale works, bar 1 bit : "We left the Sponsor's Box buzzing with excitement at a 2 cornered stadium, with cinema, restautants, concourses with plasma TV's, bars for families etc. Somewhere to arrive - possible by tram at 11.00 to watch the live match on Sky with a beer and some lunch."

But hey, some people need to find something to complain about. If it had all 4 corners, it'd have been the "didn't want a bowl".

An option might be to have 1 corner or maybe 2 but make the separate end stand smaller?

If the sides were 3.5k each and the ends 2.5k, add 1 corner for an extra 1k and make the end stand 1.5k but a bit of a temporary stand too for away fans (who cares what they get) to pay for the corner. That way if things take off we could replace the end stand with something bigger if needed?

I asked the same queston a page or so ago, and didnt get a straight answer.... The only answer is that people feel that TTA have pulled out some mystical magic box that is confusing everyone....

Bollocks. People have decided that corners are the future, rather than a ground that will sustain this club. It has nothing to bloody do with corners, its about what is realistic and sustainable for this club....

Corners, no corners, whatever - no one has been fooled, they gave an artists imprsession of what it could look like, and then rightfully have said it may change when they discover what is realistic from the designers and investors.

Its simple. No one has been fooled, and corners will not make this ground individual. Nothing will, except the football on the pitch.

I asked the same queston a page or so ago, and didnt get a straight answer.... The only answer is that people feel that TTA have pulled out some mystical magic box that is confusing everyone....

Bollocks. People have decided that corners are the future, rather than a ground that will sustain this club. It has nothing to bloody do with corners, its about what is realistic and sustainable for this club....

Corners, no corners, whatever - no one has been fooled, they gave an artists imprsession of what it could look like, and then rightfully have said it may change when they discover what is realistic from the designers and investors.

Its simple. No one has been fooled, and corners will not make this ground individual. Nothing will, except the football on the pitch.

It would have been far more open if a Phase 1 artists impression had been shown on the OS, then another showing Phase 2 and also Phase 3 with a fully covered stadium.

Logically Phase 1 comes before Phase 2, it all smacks to me of spin.

Phase 2 may be Phase 1 IF the club can get interest from commercial developments, so that being the case its not that surprising that is the image being publicised.

The design gets supporters interested and excited (as it seems to have done for the most part), and this may help get the commericial people interested so that they DO come in at the start and Phase 2 is a reality.

I'd argue that these potential developers are less likely to get involved if they see a less attractive stadium and hear more disgruntlement from the supporters.

There is a fair way to go yet anyway and as you say, investment may well come from local businesses. I would imagine moreso with its proximaty to Mcr. It certainly not all doom and gloom, I don't mean 2 corners or stay at BP, I say we have to move but 2 corners would be fantastic and 4 is the icing on the cake. We have to be realistic, I realise that. Having seen the plan its a no-brainer.

Nice to have a chat Leeslover!

I think that is an important clarification Daz, having read you earlier post.

Nothing can be set in stone.

For example you said about a tram stop.

But we have since found out they want £0.5m. So that has to be dropped.

But there are 2 stops 5 mins away (cheers Ackey) so that is still the case.

And these plans are not final either.

And once the thing is being built certain things have to chance.

But the club cannot be overly careful and speak legalese at every stage to not seemingly promise something that cannot later be delivered.

Fair play, you clarified about being realistic.

where do TTA want the club to be in 2 years, in this shiny new ground?

Div 4?

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would they want that?. Do you not understand the concept of positive thinking?.

Couple of chaps tried that in Oldham, they were run out of town!!!

Just kidding, lots of positivity after a vital win.

Couple of more wins, and it will be like reading Paul McKenna on here!!!

Thanks for fighting my "corner" - sorry 'Chadbarmy' , while I was at the match watching us battle for a 1-0 win! At Prenton Park, some clowns were shouting, "Penney out!" after 10 minutes at 0-0 now surely that is detrimental to our future!! Its no time to panic.

Most people have realised what I am saying and that I'll be there watching us in even a 3-sided ground if needs be - oh wait a minute!! :grin:

Just don't put me down as a doom and gloom monger, there are too many on this site anyway...

Edited by dazlatic

Fair enough, although I have not read that in this post..........my posts are regarding what I found myself. I went to the stadium to see the plans and what the club had proposed......I was very happy with what I found only to get mixed messages from the fans on this forum the same night. Although I thought I had seen the plans that were to be submitted plus some revised planning tweeks, I will now await the so called FINAL plans that are being talked about.

It shouldn't but I can't speak for the fickle fans amongst us!!

A question for you though...........are you happy with the plans that have been posted on the OS / available for veiwing at the ground and the possible money generating spin offs ? .......afterall the club are asking for your opinion....my issue is that it seems they have not shown me what some are saying is going to be submitted for approval :shock:

Therefore my answer is YES, I'm very happy with the plans I have seen............oh wait a minute, we are not building that are we!!

Am I happy with what's been shown so far? Yes, and I don't really care if we have no corners, 1,2,3 or 4. Plenty of people have come away knowing that the plan displayed is for where they want to end up and that it might start with no corners, so I think that people claiming to have been hoodwinked is going way OTT. There seems to be enough of the money spinning stuff for the stadium, but there's details awaited for the rest of the land yet to be judged.

I'm sure the final plans will be for 4 stands, and there may be some outline application for the corners. a 12k stadium that can be xpanded to 16k, with boxes, bars, bookies, food all available under cover in every stand will make a world of difference to revenue.

I know if I went to an audi garage and the salesmen shown me a Quattro and further down the line sold me an A3 - it would be parked back on their car park with an angry customer wanting what he was promised

No, what you WILL see in the brochure is the Quattro model with leather seats, SatNav and the 18" wheels etc etc, no Popular Plus models in there!!

You are expected to understand that different levels of money buy different upgrades.

If the club felt it best to put up artists impressions of what phase 2 could look like, they knew that phase 2 is the best to build also. So lets put in planning permission for phase 2 from the off, build it and get on with finding backers to utilise the outer sides of the corners for offices/hotels/whatever.

It was made clear on Thursday that the detailed drawings showed Phase 1 with four separate stands, and the artist's impressions showed how the corners in Phase 2 would look.

I asked Alan Hardy if a single planning application would be submitted covering Phases 1 and 2 to get permission and avoid delays in completion of the stadium (like Lags said). AH said that the planning application needed to set out the use to which the corners would be put (e.g. hotel, offices, leisure, etc) and the accompanying documents would need to be drawn up in detail with the partners who wish to use the corners. Also consultation with the public, residents and all the statutory authorities would have to be done on the basis of the known uses. So this will only be possible if partners come on board before the planning application is ready to be submitted to the Council.

On the OS AH says “I understand the fans preferring to have the corners enclosed which is something we would like. We are speaking to organisations at the moment who could be interested in taking the space in the corners, and that could fill them in sooner rather than later.”

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1956319,00.html

Also on the OS it says:

Officials would like to make it clear, however, that phase one of the development involves construction of four separate stands with a capacity around 12,000.

Some of the visuals show some of the corners filled in, which would be phase two which would involve all four corners being filled in and the capacity increased to around 16,000.

But if partners quickly come on board the corners in phase two could be included as part of phase one

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1955921,00.html

So nobody has been hoodwinkied, conned, misled or whatever accusation some want to use. What was displayed has provoked discussion which is what is needed as part of this consultation exercise.

Nothing is set in stone (or red brick) at the moment. The drawings and artist’s impressions were shown to get feedback from fans. The Club is asking fans to submit their comments/suggestions/problems/questions. The more fans who respond, the better the indication of what is liked/disliked/wanted/unwanted by the majority.

Email the Club: enquiries@oldhamathletic.co.uk but do it SOON before the final round of consultations takes place with an open meeting at the Lancaster Club on 25th February, where the proposed final masterplan is to be displayed.

There will still be more consultation before the planning application is submitted to the Council, but the Club wants to know everyone's views before preparing that proposed final masterplan.

Do you not understand the concept of positive thinking?.

Positive thinking is pretty pointless unless it's backed up by positive action.

On the subject of the corners, it would be nice if the club are in a position to fill in all four corners in the initial build - but purely for two reasons:

1. It means they have managed to secure the additional investment required to use the 'outside' bits of those corners, whether that be offices, hotel, consulting rooms or whatever.

2. We have the 16k we really wanted from the off, rather than starting with 12k and knowing the likelihood of those corners ever being filled in during some future 'phase 2' is next to nought.

From a purely stadium aesthetics point of view I really and truly couldn't give a toss.

Shortly after Pine Villa became Oldham Athletic, the rarely wrong Chron commented:

"It is really surprising that a first-rate Association Football Club cannot be run in Oldham for there is plenty of room for one without crippling the leading rugby club and, in addition, there is a demand for good soccer."

Halfway through Latics first season there was a problem with the ground landlords (J.W. Lees) over rent and terms of the lease. No compromise could be reached and the only answer was for Latics to find another ground (back to Hudson Fold) to play on.

I keep getting that feeling of déjà vu. :blink:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1956319,00.html

The offical site should put this right immediatelly and show an artists impression of phase 1 - or come out and say phase 2 will definately be the first build (not maybe's). Until then I will remain cynical.

There is an artists impression of phase one on the website, just look at the end with no corners and use your imagination on the other end. Artists don't come cheap you know.

There is an artists impression of phase one on the website, just look at the end with no corners and use your imagination on the other end. Artists don't come cheap you know.

No, but photo editing suites that can duplicate the stands with open corners are. :wink:

Edited by BP1960

Why wasn't there all this fuss about corners when BP was going to be redeveloped? I'd like corners but it's not the end of the world. Just give me a stadium thats easy to get to, is nice, good views and facilities and improves the clubs resources as well as helping us to compete better financially. I'll have that please.