Standing at new Ground?

Taken from the BBC sport message board, true or false??

posted 3 Hours Ago

Have the owners given up on a standing end ? it would save enough money to fill in all 4 corners. The fa rule that says we agreed to remain all seater when we were in the prem was signed upto by Oldham Athletic, this club does not exist anymore we are now Oldham Athletic 2002 ltd and therefor free from this fa ruling

add comment | complain about this comment

Taken from the BBC sport message board, true or false??

posted 3 Hours Ago

Have the owners given up on a standing end ? it would save enough money to fill in all 4 corners. The fa rule that says we agreed to remain all seater when we were in the prem was signed upto by Oldham Athletic, this club does not exist anymore we are now Oldham Athletic 2002 ltd and therefor free from this fa ruling

add comment | complain about this comment

The club still exists. The change was the business. As far as the FA is concerned it had to stay the same club to stay in the league.

The Trust and some fans are speaking to the FSA about the possibility of standing ...

More info will follow when its known

Really? Wow, when I opened this thread I was expecting to read "This issue is dead and buried. Next question."

The Trust and some fans are speaking to the FSA about the possibility of standing ...

Good to see theres some movement to try and bring this about, at least we can have tried. Would love to have a standing area!

Good to see theres some movement to try and bring this about, at least we can have tried. Would love to have a standing area!

I'm quite sure that a decent sized standing section, would make a huge difference to atmosphere again and increase crowds.

Put some dark yellow lighting at the back of the stand, allow smoking (lots of) and over the tannoy a 'Mr Banks testing' special and you're back in business.

I'm quite sure that a decent sized standing section, would make a huge difference to atmosphere again and increase crowds.

Put some dark yellow lighting at the back of the stand, allow smoking (lots of) and over the tannoy a 'Mr Banks testing' special and you're back in business.

Definitely, your more likely to sing stood up as your body is in a better position to do so, so more people singing will mean a better atmosphere hopefully.

Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium opened in 2005 and has standing on three sides.

Don't use that as a comparison Terry or you'll have someone claiming that standing sections = League 2 club = lack of ambition... :grin:

Didn't this get brought up at the forum and Alan Hardy said something along the lines of they wouldn't be able to have standing areas under current regulations but it's an option they'd like to consider and they would encourage people to contact the FA asking about the possibility?

People stand up in church to sing as it help aids your vocals and you feel more comfortable to sing when doing so. However, we've been over this a million times and it will most likely end in the answer 'no you cant stand'. But having the choice to stand would be better on everyone around the ground as you wouldn't get people standing in front of you in the seating area. Yes we were in the Premier years ago and now we can't go away from an all seater stadium..but hasn't the football fan come a long way from the early 90's - I think so. The technology is there to introduce cheap safe standing yet we are being held back by the red tape yet again.

I would think the trust and the FSA (in particular) should have more pressing concerns as to whether people should be able to stand in a new stadium. Frankly I see it as a waste of money as if the club ever gets back into the Championship for more than one season (which is a reasonable ambition) then it will have to be changed.

With this userboard being webnonymous I do wonder how many of the fans on here are old enough to have stood in amongst it (not nice and safe at the front) at BP, would like to go back to standing and have the legs for it? Or put it this way how many are clamouring for the return to standing who have never been on a terrace at a football game bar the very odd occassion? Frankly, I think the trust should be looking into other things and the FSA certainly should be- including the campaign Diego mentions frequently about getting football fans treated more farily compared to their rugby/cricket/theatre going cousins.

With this userboard being webnonymous I do wonder how many of the fans on here are old enough to have stood in amongst it (not nice and safe at the front) at BP, would like to go back to standing and have the legs for it? Or put it this way how many are clamouring for the return to standing who have never been on a terrace at a football game bar the very odd occassion?

I don't think anyone seriously expects to go back to the terraces we used to have, although I'm sure some would like to.

These 'safe standing' areas (as pictured in Germany) are effectively seats with handrails running begind them, and would cost an absolute fortune to install for no increase in capacity. That's why I can't see it happening (legislation issues aside) - there's no payback.

I don't think anyone seriously expects to go back to the terraces we used to have, although I'm sure some would like to.

These 'safe standing' areas (as pictured in Germany) are effectively seats with handrails running begind them, and would cost an absolute fortune to install for no increase in capacity. That's why I can't see it happening (legislation issues aside) - there's no payback.

always used to stand behind the goals in the chaddy,about half way up but made sure i stood in front of a crash barrier,that way when we scored and you got the sway you never got knocked over or fell.

for people who have never experienced it,it can be a frightening place to be sometimes,and im sure they would soon be moaning for the comfort of a seat

always used to stand behind the goals in the chaddy,about half way up but made sure i stood in front of a crash barrier,that way when we scored and you got the sway you never got knocked over or fell.

for people who have never experienced it,it can be a frightening place to be sometimes,and im sure they would soon be moaning for the comfort of a seat

It would be nice to have a choice though. In this day and age it should be possible to provide a safe standing section that is properly monitored.Doubt it will happen though.

It would be nice to have a choice though. In this day and age it should be possible to provide a safe standing section that is properly monitored.Doubt it will happen though.

yes it would be nice to have the option...would have to be in one corner though as those in seats wont be happy with people stood up around them.

i doubt the club will do it though,probably quote something along the lines of by the time we get into championships the cost to put seats back will have increased by 50% or summat

Surely a standing area would be cheaper than seating to install? There would be no (or very little) extra capacity, so I'd expect that prices would be little cheaper than seating though. It might be difficult to ensure than each section/area/row does not become over-crowded.

I was probably 10 yards to your right Ed :) It's invaluable training. Last time I was standing at a large gig (grey cells gone faulty what it was) there were youngsters trying to get to the front but they couldn't stand up for toffee every time there was a surge. Granted I'm a big bugger anyway but I ended up like some sort of centrepole with bairns using me for balance.

Would love to see it but doubt it. Not sure what the FSA can do anyway, surely they campaign for safe standing anyway? It's not them we need to convince. A safe standing section would be reasonably unique mind you.

With this userboard being webnonymous I do wonder how many of the fans on here are old enough to have stood in amongst it (not nice and safe at the front) at BP, would like to go back to standing and have the legs for it? Or put it this way how many are clamouring for the return to standing who have never been on a terrace at a football game bar the very odd occassion? Frankly, I think the trust should be looking into other things and the FSA certainly should be- including the campaign Diego mentions frequently about getting football fans treated more farily compared to their rugby/cricket/theatre going cousins.

I'm old enough to have stood on the old tightly-packed terraces, which were frightening places to be when a crowd surge took place. I was also present at Hillsborough on that fateful day.

"My lovely son Kevin did not die because of standing on terraces, he died because of the lack of control and care by South Yorkshire Police. I believe terraces are safe without perimeter fences. Standing never killed anybody, cages and treating people like animals did." So said Anne Williams, Chair of Hillsborough Justice Campaign, mother of 15-year-old Kevin, who died in pen three.

What many people forget is that, immediately after the Hillsborough disaster, an emergency measure was introduced to reduce the capacity of every terrace by 15%. This was before the fences were removed but, at a stroke, it removed the pressure and eliminated crowd surges.

At away games watching Latics, where there is a choice between seated and standing areas, I prefer to stand. At Burton Albion, in a new stadium with only one seated stand, I always stand on the terracing.

New evidence suggests the difference in safety between small, controlled, well-engineered standing zones and seating is negligible. Some studies suggest restrictive seating is actually more dangerous. And when people jump up out of their seats, you get more movement in the stadium structure than you do if people are consistently standing. Great advances have been made with the science behind safe standing zones and crowd dynamics. It already works in Germany. With safe standing zones, capacities go up, standing prices are cheaper, and younger fans are drawn to the atmosphere generated. The option to sit or stand removes the problem of some fans’ suffering loss of enjoyment because of people standing in front of them.

If safety is the issue why is standing permitted on trains and buses?

I'm old enough to have stood on the old tightly-packed terraces, which were frightening places to be when a crowd surge took place. I was also present at Hillsborough on that fateful day.

"My lovely son Kevin did not die because of standing on terraces, he died because of the lack of control and care by South Yorkshire Police. I believe terraces are safe without perimeter fences. Standing never killed anybody, cages and treating people like animals did." So said Anne Williams, Chair of Hillsborough Justice Campaign, mother of 15-year-old Kevin, who died in pen three.

What many people forget is that, immediately after the Hillsborough disaster, an emergency measure was introduced to reduce the capacity of every terrace by 15%. This was before the fences were removed but, at a stroke, it removed the pressure and eliminated crowd surges.

At away games watching Latics, where there is a choice between seated and standing areas, I prefer to stand. At Burton Albion, in a new stadium with only one seated stand, I always stand on the terracing.

New evidence suggests the difference in safety between small, controlled, well-engineered standing zones and seating is negligible. Some studies suggest restrictive seating is actually more dangerous. And when people jump up out of their seats, you get more movement in the stadium structure than you do if people are consistently standing. Great advances have been made with the science behind safe standing zones and crowd dynamics. It already works in Germany. With safe standing zones, capacities go up, standing prices are cheaper, and younger fans are drawn to the atmosphere generated. The option to sit or stand removes the problem of some fans’ suffering loss of enjoyment because of people standing in front of them.

If safety is the issue why is standing permitted on trains and buses?

sorry to hear of your sad loss mr d something that i never knew,