more fans at BP, our ethnic communties

Would you stop attending BP?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop attending latics games if our ethnic communties start attending?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not go the whole hog and build a Mosque, Synagogue, Sikh Temple on the site as well? That'll get them through the gates!

lol macca

tbh its the only time you see english looking people when u step threw them gates so no thanks if people want to watch oafc thay will if thay dnt there loss :S i think.

Perhaps we could try and get one or two asian players into the squad..........I'm sure there are a few asian players with potential at schools in the Oldham area.

Perhaps we could send a scout/coach into the Asian community schools and offer trials to lads with potential.

Didn't the club embark on a close season tour to the Indian continent a couple of years ago, surely contacts/connections were established....I'm sure It would only take the addition of a couple of asian players into the squad to create a little interest within our ethnic community.

Perhaps we could try and get one or two asian players into the squad..........I'm sure there are a few asian players with potential at schools in the Oldham area.

Perhaps we could send a scout/coach into the Asian community schools and offer trials to lads with potential.

Didn't the club embark on a close season tour to the Indian continent a couple of years ago, surely contacts/connections were established....I'm sure It would only take the addition of a couple of asian players into the squad to create a little interest within our ethnic community.

Fair idea and there are some very good young 5 a side teams/players in the town, though this doesn't seem to have transferred itself to the 11 a side version. There are very few Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Indian etc amateur footballers, whether local or non league.

I have recently invited a couple of Bangladeshi lads to come pre season with the amateur side i'm currently involved in - we'll see how that goes.

Bangladesh in 2007.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/TonyP...1025851,00.html

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:8ZSIj...=clnk&gl=uk

lol macca

tbh its the only time you see english looking people when u step threw them gates so no thanks if people want to watch oafc thay will if thay dnt there loss :S i think.

As important as it is to debate the post rather than the poster, I think it’s reasonable and fair to point out that you appear to have been dropped on your head as a baby.

Now call me a racist, but 'southern asians' are crap at football. Similarly, blacks can't swim and whites can't jump. There's how it is.

I wasn't at tranmere so I'm just assuming here, but would those hurling racist chants be teenagers? I know when I was in my teens I was pretty racist towards Asians. However, I think as we mature we become a bit more diverse in our attitudes to others. I think it's easy to slag off something u don't understand when ur young, and, as I went bluecoat, I didn't really have any dealings with the Asian community. Except prhaps the 'paki shop' on London Rd in Derker. I don't even say paki shop any more! Oh hang on, I just did...

Anyway, I digress. Kids nowadays no a hell of a lot more about Asian cultures than I did when I was at school 20odd years ago. I'd like to think being less ignorant of something also makes u more tollerant. My 80odd year old gran is as racist as they come. She doesn't mean anyone any harm but it's just how some of her generation are. Maybe by the time I'm her age, racism the way we knew it when we were at school will just be another black mark (no pun intended) in history? We can only hope.....

So come one, come all. Just don't demand we lose the owl from our badge!

I wasn't at tranmere so I'm just assuming here, but would those hurling racist chants be teenagers? I know when I was in my teens I was pretty racist towards Asians. However, I think as we mature we become a bit more diverse in our attitudes to others. I think it's easy to slag off something u don't understand when ur young, and, as I went bluecoat, I didn't really have any dealings with the Asian community. Except prhaps the 'paki shop' on London Rd in Derker. I don't even say paki shop any more! Oh hang on, I just did...

Anyway, I digress. Kids nowadays no a hell of a lot more about Asian cultures than I did when I was at school 20odd years ago. I'd like to think being less ignorant of something also makes u more tollerant. My 80odd year old gran is as racist as they come. She doesn't mean anyone any harm but it's just how some of her generation are. Maybe by the time I'm her age, racism the way we knew it when we were at school will just be another black mark (no pun intended) in history? We can only hope.....

So come one, come all. Just don't demand we lose the owl from our badge!

Interesting yet we are not "born racist" just like your not "born with phoebias" either. Maybe it something your imprinted with during your childhood, like you don't like cabbage as a kid - Yuk..

Or as with regards to footy and echoing Lees lover earlier post. When I was a kid there was only three channels and Match of the day live game on a Sunday was on one of these channels or a John Wayne movie on the other. I saw the likes of Liverpool, United etc and did not get to see the likes of Oldham until I was taken by my friends dad in my teens.

The media does not help lower league teams much.

And Garcon is right too, those that are racist I am sure get in Taxis on a Frid/Sat night with asian drivers after falling out of the local curry/kebab house. Ironic as vegetarians having leather jackets and shoes in their wardrobes.

Its a funny old world.

So, how are we going to get more local communites supporting our club on a match day? Any ideas?

Interesting yet we are not "born racist" just like your not "born with phoebias" either. Maybe it something your imprinted with during your childhood, like you don't like cabbage as a kid - Yuk..

Or as with regards to footy and echoing Lees lover earlier post. When I was a kid there was only three channels and Match of the day live game on a Sunday was on one of these channels or a John Wayne movie on the other. I saw the likes of Liverpool, United etc and did not get to see the likes of Oldham until I was taken by my friends dad in my teens.

The media does not help lower league teams much.

And Garcon is right too, those that are racist I am sure get in Taxis on a Frid/Sat night with asian drivers after falling out of the local curry/kebab house. Ironic as vegetarians having leather jackets and shoes in their wardrobes.

Its a funny old world.

So, how are we going to get more local communites supporting our club on a match day? Any ideas?

why does it all have to be one sided with u lot maybe thay dont like us, and everyone acts diffrent on face value remmember the oldham riots wasnt just white people throwing bricks etc.

if thay wanted to come thay will no one is stoping them gl hf

anyone ever thought that thay dont come to the latics as thay think we are dire and rather tell there friends there glory hunters etc, also maybe thay dislike sitting with allot of white people?

Ah, so you believe that the introduction of safe standing areas in the new stadium would be more likely to attract supporters from the Asian population of the town? This is a new and interesting slant on the debate.

There is as much anti white sentiment in the Asian community as there is vice versa, but that doesn't make it right, or indeed a majority.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but Oldham is far from unique. I'm not aware of any clubs in towns with a reasonable sized Asian community having a proportionate Asian support even where the grounds are in/border those Asian communities.

As British Asian culture continues to develop, and as more Asians turn professional, this may change - but it will be a generational thing rather than over night.

Ah, so you believe that the introduction of safe standing areas in the new stadium would be more likely to attract supporters from the Asian population of the town? This is a new and interesting slant on the debate.

standing is by far a better option :grin:

standing is by far a better option :grin:

So would you be fine with standing beside Asians in the crowd whilst you would be unhappy sitting beside them? This could be key to more harmonious race relations in the town.

Maybe we could start off slowly and see how you go with standing beside them for a half and sitting for a half?

So would you be fine with standing beside Asians in the crowd whilst you would be unhappy sitting beside them? This could be key to more harmonious race relations in the town.

Maybe we could start off slowly and see how you go with standing beside them for a half and sitting for a half?

il type somthing that wont get banned so mods are happy.

Ok