Good comeback, that's the spirit we need - Wycombe post game thread

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:ranting:

Spot on with that. Yes I think we will stay up only due to some of the :censored: in this league but I don't want to see another season of this. The guy is clueless makes pointless substitutions, plays countless players out of position and continues to play uninspiring football bar a few performances and he seems quite happy with the way things are going.

How many loanees have we had who are suppose to have been our answer to the goal scoring problem? I make it 4 now this season and i think they have managed 3 goals between them. As most people can see the problem for most of the season has been our failure to create chances but its always a striker who is brought in. how about a winger who can beat a man and put a half decent cross in Mr Penney? Taylor no longer wants to know since he won't pass a medical for a move out of the club, Smalley has been poor but the lad is being played up front half of the time when he is clearly not one and Colbeck, well that must be the worst bit of business since we signed Wayne Gill.

When it was announced in the summer that Penney would be the new manager I was happy with the appointment if not blown away by it, as I had seen enough of his teams at Doncaster and Darlington to know that he tries to play football the right way. Well how wrong was I! After Tuesday night I came away from BP thinking that is what we are capable of, if the team is left to playing football rather than Penney insisting on 2 banks of 4 all the time. but today we was back to the same team we have seen for 90% of the season.

Wycombe earlier in the season was the game I decided Penney would never succeed at this club and had to go and since then, very few performances have suggested to me I was wrong. When we play the better teams in this league it is almost a routine loss. We have a couple of chances they score theirs and Penney comes out with the same old comments of needing to be more ruthless in front of goal. We have not won one game against the top 6 ( incase any one wonders the record stands at 8 defeats and 3 draws from the 11 games against them so far) When was the last time we had a record that bad! Infact im pretty sure we have only won twice agaist the top half of the table this season.

All in all this season has been a nightmare and I have never felt as low as a latics fan. Whatever happens now happens, but we have unfortunatly left ourselves open to a realistic chance of relegation and I fear if that happens then that could be very difficult to get things back to the way things once were, especially with the likes of Bury and Rochdale possibly coming up leaving us below our 'little' neighbours.

Roll on tuesday night.

if every full bloodied latics fan would open up and tell the truth this would be on all their lips but there is still a few of them who are still living in eutopia !!! it dosnt exist :ranting:

+1 i just wish we could pick up a team like we had in the 60's and the 70's the ground would be full !

Most of those players in the 1960s/70s were signed on frees or low transfer fees, there is no reason why it can't be done today, it's just a case of finding the right type of player and giving them freedom to express themselves.

Today's Latics players look stifled by tactics.

no way will we do anything with penney in charge and that clown gray spent all the game doing impressions of a plane all the game penney just looked clueless no motivation send for stan ternent ex burnley manager :ranting:

There's too much emphahis on tactics today, football is not chess.

Most of those players in the 1960s/70s were signed on frees or low transfer fees, there is no reason why it can't be done today, it's just a case of finding the right type of player and giving them freedom to express themselves.

very true they are, and the tactics are crap all we can hope for is that the top brass address the situation and go back to the days of the 60's in regards of contracts etc

Just in case you 2 haven't noticed - Football has changed quite a bit since then - it is not be the same as the 60s/70s - move on or continue to be extremely disappointed!!

Anyway back to the good comeback..........

And a lot who never saw the 60s and 70s are are disappointed too.

And a lot who never saw the 60s and 70s are are disappointed too.

Indeed, yes they are.

However as the great 'Joe Royle' said recently at a Trust Forum - 'The days of picking a quality same/higher league player up on the cheap (ala Irwin, Ritchie, Barrett) are long gone - they command to high a wage and clubs like Oldham cannot pick up a player on a free/low transfer fee due to their highly inflated wages.'

But don't let the world moving on get in the way of your moan.

Edited by futchers briefs

Just in case you 2 haven't noticed - Football has changed quite a bit since then - it is not be the same as the 60s/70s - move on or continue to be extremely disappointed!!

Anyway back to the good comeback..........

And which "good comeback" would that be?? You mean the one where we huffed and puffed against a second bottom side virtually doomed to relegation already - which we couldn't break down, and then had to rely on a fortunate penalty to scrape a draw against???

Jesus Christ man, I hope you're not serious..... :huh:

And which "good comeback" would that be?? You mean the one where we huffed and puffed against a second bottom side virtually doomed to relegation already - which we couldn't break down, and then had to rely on a fortunate penalty to scrape a draw against???

Jesus Christ man, I hope you're not serious..... :huh:

Futchers was good.......but not that good.

No i'm not serious regarding the result - I just thought that, rather than dwell on the "good old days", it would be right and proper to get back to the original post :wink:

Futchers was good.......but not that good.

No i'm not serious regarding the result - I just thought that, rather than dwell on the "good old days", it would be right and proper to get back to the original post :wink:

Thank God for that.....(can someone make a "phew" smiley please???)

I see your from Uppermill, are you Chris's brother,uncle, best friend?

He was fookin :censored:e, and, bar the odd game, has been whenever he has played this season. Cash in.

I agree though. Smalley et al were atrocious.

I realise the type of fan mr sinnott is now; the type that loveS to slag off our home grown players untill they are a shadow of their former self, and who then go on to complain when we are playing dire football week in week out. The type of fan that drove Neil Eardley out of the club and had before Tuesday helped to reduce Chrissy Taylor to a shadow of the player he can be. On Tuesday and again today he was wanting the ball, cutting inside, finding the pass but also looking to expose the defenders at every opportunity, shame his final product on the two shots was below par. Then he was constantly double teamed but still looked our most dangerous weapon, even w/o a supply line from JJ who seems to think taylor wore yellow today.

How you can possibly say he was fookin :censored:e this afternoon is beyond me. You are not a fan, you are a typical oldham athletic follower. A fan/supporter is one who WANTS the team to perform at their maximum level, however yourself like so many others believe it is a better practice to swagger down to BP and barrack players who want to play for our club. Moaning at Parker / Penney is fair enough, they are a waste of space and don't put in the effort. However complaining about our most gifted and match-winning player is a stupendously pathetic means by which to support our club.

I realise the type of fan mr sinnott is now; the type that loveS to slag off our home grown players untill they are a shadow of their former self, and who then go on to complain when we are playing dire football week in week out. The type of fan that drove Neil Eardley out of the club and had before Tuesday helped to reduce Chrissy Taylor to a shadow of the player he can be. On Tuesday and again today he was wanting the ball, cutting inside, finding the pass but also looking to expose the defenders at every opportunity, shame his final product on the two shots was below par. Then he was constantly double teamed but still looked our most dangerous weapon, even w/o a supply line from JJ who seems to think taylor wore yellow today.

How you can possibly say he was fookin :censored:e this afternoon is beyond me. You are not a fan, you are a typical oldham athletic follower. A fan/supporter is one who WANTS the team to perform at their maximum level, however yourself like so many others believe it is a better practice to swagger down to BP and barrack players who want to play for our club. Moaning at Parker / Penney is fair enough, they are a waste of space and don't put in the effort. However complaining about our most gifted and match-winning player is a stupendously pathetic means by which to support our club.

To be fair Mr Sinnott slags off just as many players that we have signed aswell.

Not great, but also far from terrible today.

Looking at Wycombes recent results they seem to be a better form team than Orient and thY showed in their performance today. Still prior to their penalty we were good for our lead. The penalty and the soon to follow mistake from Brill showed how fragile our confidence is and hears dropped and it looked like we would lose.

Thought that the manager made 3 substitutions with plenty of time left and saw us improve and get posession back and put pressure on the opposition. In the end we got a penalty - not clear cut but regularly given - and the point we deserved.

Still a long way to go in terms of overall performance - and I hope Parker does NOT start again - but I am not as doom and gloom as some on here. 4 points clear with 2 winnable games this week

Not under Ken Bates - the fees we paid were big for the time and Division.

And it can't be done as easily today - players often dropped down the league because the gap in wages wasn't as big. Players like Bryceland, Lochhead. Paul Edwards etc.

Edited by LaticsPete

Indeed, yes they are.

However as the great 'Joe Royle' said recently at a Trust Forum - 'The days of picking a quality same/higher league player up on the cheap (ala Irwin, Ritchie, Barrett) are long gone - they command to high a wage and clubs like Oldham cannot pick up a player on a free/low transfer fee due to their highly inflated wages.'

But don't let the world moving on get in the way of your moan.

There are plenty of bargains out there, always has been and always will be.

I will always moan if things are not good enough and can be bettered, and if the Latics today is an example of moving on then the future looks decidedly dismal.

Not great, but also far from terrible today.

Looking at Wycombes recent results they seem to be a better form team than Orient and thY showed in their performance today. Still prior to their penalty we were good for our lead. The penalty and the soon to follow mistake from Brill showed how fragile our confidence is and hears dropped and it looked like we would lose.

Thought that the manager made 3 substitutions with plenty of time left and saw us improve and get posession back and put pressure on the opposition. In the end we got a penalty - not clear cut but regularly given - and the point we deserved.

Still a long way to go in terms of overall performance - and I hope Parker does NOT start again - but I am not as doom and gloom as some on here. 4 points clear with 2 winnable games this week

Pretty bad though wasn't it? :wink:

I'm worried. Great fightback, blah blah, but we should be beating Wycombe. We all know it. Enough said on that issue.

The next two games is what worries me. The pressure is on us to get a massive result against County. Big test of character. Then there's Brighton. If it was down at their gaff, I'd be confident. They're coming up here with a magnificent away record.

I'm not being some plastic happy clapper to suit whoever on here, I'm being realistic. If we don't put in the performances, I can see us getting beat twice.