The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

Froch will struggle because groves won't make the same mistake as turning is back on him when he gets hit. I also believe froch didn't want this rematch as he was apparently going to fight Chavez Jnr who's a blown up middleweight. We've seen the best of froch against Bute. Froch I believe will get stopped in 7.

Froch won't make the mistake of going all out attack from the start & won't get knocked down early again which affected him mentally last time. Froch walked through some of Groves best shots last time which a fair few boxers wouldn't be able to recover from in a fight. Soon as Froch started to get going last time Groves was in trouble.

Agree that Froch didn't want this rematch, but why should he of? He knows he's coming close to retirement & has some ambitions left to fulfil like fighting in Vegas & getting revenge on Ward.

Whatever happens, it should be a great fight!

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Froch won't make the mistake of going all out attack from the start & won't get knocked down early again which affected him mentally last time. Froch walked through some of Groves best shots last time which a fair few boxers wouldn't be able to recover from in a fight. Soon as Froch started to get going last time Groves was in trouble.

Agree that Froch didn't want this rematch, but why should he of? He knows he's coming close to retirement & has some ambitions left to fulfil like fighting in Vegas & getting revenge on Ward.

Whatever happens, it should be a great fight!

If Froch doesn't attack he'll get outboxed. He can't afford to try and be cute with Groves as a Groves will be in and out of range, more so than the first fight. Froch needs to do exactly what he did last fight and just hope to hurt and stop Groves. The speed difference can't be overlooked though, that wasn't just an off night from Carl, he looked old in there, as I alluded to above, he wasn't too sharp against Kessler either. Groves will counter more this time, and mix it up in short bursts. But hey. I predicted Froch by KO last time, maybe I'm wrong this time too, but the evidence in the first fight tells me a Groves is too fast, and can hurt Carl to boot.

And make no mistake Carl Froch wants none of Andre Ward. He was just banding his name about to try and gain a better position at the negotiating table. Before the Groves fight Froch repeatedly came out with things like "I don't need to fight Andre Ward, I've got two belts, he's only got one", "No one knows who Andre Ward is", "Ward isn't an exciting fighter, he pickpocketed his way to victory in the first fight", he used every excuse under the sun to discredit a Ward rematch.

Groves has him shook though.

The only way Groves is going to win this is by knocking him out.He proved he has the speed to catch him, he proved he has the power to knock him down.

However - I didn't see the killer instinct to finish him off./

The longer the fight lasts, the more it plays into Froch hands. If I was a betting man (and I am) I wouuld be putting money on rounds 10,11 and 12 for a stoppage to Froch. Maybe a small one on Groves in round 1.

Curtis woodhouse, ex sheff utd has just won a British title and apparently put five grand on himself to do so at 50/1!!!!! He says "he can neither confirm or deny he did it!!!!" Covering himself but fair play, £250.000 better off as well as the champ! Not bad for someone who got ridiculed for quitting football to be a boxer.

Curtis woodhouse, ex sheff utd has just won a British title and apparently put five grand on himself to do so at 50/1!!!!! He says "he can neither confirm or deny he did it!!!!" Covering himself but fair play, £250.000 better off as well as the champ! Not bad for someone who got ridiculed for quitting football to be a boxer.

I backed him at 7/2 pre fight then, despite being by far the busier boxer, he'd gone out to 8/1 2 or 3 rounds in so I had a bit of that too.

I thank Jim Watt and the fact that the bookies must have been influenced by his usual one eyed :censored:e.

Edited by HarryBosch

I think he was well on his way to beating Carl barring the worst stoppage I've seen for a world title in a British ring.

He wasn't. He just wasn't.

I don't know what else to say.

Froch must be more pissed of with Howard Foster than anybody now having to waste another fight on Groves so late in his career.

:wink:

The press - those bastions of........

Even if he was ahead in the cards, are you honestly saying he had anything left and wouldn't have lost all the remaining rounds in the unlikely event he wasn't knocked out?

Early odds on Betfair have Froch as 1.68 fav.

In the unlikely event I have a lot of money come May I'll be having a lot of money on that.

The press - those bastions of........

Even if he was ahead in the cards, are you honestly saying he had anything left and wouldn't have lost all the remaining rounds in the unlikely event he wasn't knocked out?

Early odds on Betfair have Froch as 1.68 fav.

In the unlikely event I have a lot of money come May I'll be having a lot of money on that.

A lot of those press scores are from boxing sites, not ITV and the like.

Groves wasn't that tired, he was hurt and on the defensive. Froch looked lethargic all fight and had Groves survived Froch's attack (which he wasn't given chance to do), there's every chance he would have been up against a Froch who poured everything he had left into one sustained attack, after that, Groves could have gone back on the front foot and continue to land that right hand.

It didn't even look like the tide was turning, Froch was getting outboxed, he came forward with a decent attack, Howard Foster made an appalling decision and the fight was over.

What Groves did to Froch throughout that fight can't be put down to an "off night" for Froch. I wouldn't be confident in the slightest backing Carl.

And I mean this in the most respectful way possible, if you're going to put big money on Carl after what Groves did in the first fight,then you deserve to lose, because you're not even getting good value considering how bad Froch was in the first fight.

My advice, don't.

I'd personally look at the odds for the over and under 6.5 rounds. How many wars can't Froch take? Groves is better than 4/1 to win by KO at some places, IMO that represents real value.

Groves was miles ahead and I'm confident would have had enough to win the fight. Even if it meant getting on his bike for the last couple of rounds.

Groves has always been heavy handed.

As for the Woodhouse fight. Glad he won but I thought Hamilton had done enough to beat him.

Looking forward to the fight this weekend. Think Burns might be in a bit of trouble unless he puts the pressure on early.

I've just got back from the States. When in LA I went down to the Wildcard and met Freddie Roach and Joe Gallaghers boys. Couldn't believe how humble they all were. Real genuine down to earth blokes. Anthony Crolla even asked for my twitter to follow me. Freddie Roach was saying he was well impressed with Hosea Burton.

A lot of those press scores are from boxing sites, not ITV and the like.

Groves wasn't that tired, he was hurt and on the defensive. Froch looked lethargic all fight and had Groves survived Froch's attack (which he wasn't given chance to do), there's every chance he would have been up against a Froch who poured everything he had left into one sustained attack, after that, Groves could have gone back on the front foot and continue to land that right hand.

It didn't even look like the tide was turning, Froch was getting outboxed, he came forward with a decent attack, Howard Foster made an appalling decision and the fight was over.

What Groves did to Froch throughout that fight can't be put down to an "off night" for Froch. I wouldn't be confident in the slightest backing Carl.

And I mean this in the most respectful way possible, if you're going to put big money on Carl after what Groves did in the first fight,then you deserve to lose, because you're not even getting good value considering how bad Froch was in the first fight.

My advice, don't.

I'd personally look at the odds for the over and under 6.5 rounds. How many wars can't Froch take? Groves is better than 4/1 to win by KO at some places, IMO that represents real value.

Apart from Kessler he's looked lethargic in pretty much every fight he's ever had. That's him. He's like a Boxing equivalent of Gary Harkins. :grin:

George Groves has only gone the distance once in his career, and never against someone in the same league as Froch.

Looking at the last Fight, Groves had punched himself out by the 6th round. I still don't think he's got enough experience to beat Froch.

Unless he manages to get some extra stamina from somewhere or he's learnt some very valuable lessons very quickly, I can see Froch dominating the second half of the fight and winning by a late stoppage or points.

Hopefully it will be a savage beating and shut Groves up for a bit.

George Groves has only gone the distance once in his career, and never against someone in the same league as Froch.

Looking at the last Fight, Groves had punched himself out by the 6th round. I still don't think he's got enough experience to beat Froch.

Unless he manages to get some extra stamina from somewhere or he's learnt some very valuable lessons very quickly, I can see Froch dominating the second half of the fight and winning by a late stoppage or points.

Hopefully it will be a savage beating and shut Groves up for a bit.

Groves has been 12 rounds with DeGale and Glen Johnson, the latter was a year or so after a Froch fought Johnson and Groves beat Johnson much more comfortably.

I am on the fence, but I will say a few people at the gym I go to and where Carl did his last session before the Groves fight said he wasn't 100% at that time...these are people who've watched him train before over in Sheffield. They thought he looked poorly. Although if that was the case I'd have thought Carl might have rolled out that excuse during his 10min post fight ramble.

No chance of me putting more than a cheeky fiver on this fight.

I think Groves will just beat Froch to the Punch then get on his bike in the middle rounds to save a bit of energy late on. Being at the fight you could shut your eyes and know who was winning. It went from being one of the loudest crowds I had ever been in to the most subdued.

Yep, I really think Groves will box the ears off Froch. Will ambush fight (David Haye style) for the first half of the fight, jumping in and out, attacking in burst and maybe go in for the kill in the later rounds if Froch is broken down enough.

The fight will be confirmed to take place at Wembley stadium, tomorrow on Sky Sports News. They're gonna have a job logistically as England play Peru the night before!

Yep, I really think Groves will box the ears off Froch. Will ambush fight (David Haye style) for the first half of the fight, jumping in and out, attacking in burst and maybe go in for the kill in the later rounds if Froch is broken down enough.

The fight will be confirmed to take place at Wembley stadium, tomorrow on Sky Sports News. They're gonna have a job logistically as England play Peru the night before!

Wonder if they will open the full stadium or just keep the top tier shut. No matter how big the fight can't see them shifting 100,000 tickets

Wonder if they will open the full stadium or just keep the top tier shut. No matter how big the fight can't see them shifting 100,000 tickets

Turns out they're capped at 80k.

60k to go on sale then possibly open up the other 20. 7k on the pitch.