The Boxing Thread.

Froch vs Groves II  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? YOU DECIDE.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coyle not known for banging with his left. Thought Katsidis would have gone late on if he was going to get stopped. Thought it looked like he got caught a bit cold. Anyone know what was up with him during his ring walk. Looked like he was telling his coach he wasn't happy about something when he had his back to the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

The most interesting fight of the year tonight.

49 year old Bernard Hopkins, the oldest world champion in boxing history and the oldest unified boxing champion in all of history. The current WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight champion takes on WBO Light Heavyweight Champion and devastating knockout puncher Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev for the undisputed Light Heavyweight Championship of the world.

Think this might be a step too far Hopkins. Kovalev has won all of his 25 fights, 23 by knockout. He came to the UK last year and bulldozed Nathan Cleverly in 3 rounds for his WBO strap.

Hopkins defies odds though, he's made a career of upsetting the apple cart, time after time he's been picked to lose and he continues to deconstruct fighters, take them out of their gameplan and impose his awkward style and beat them.

What we're seeing here is a bonafide all time great right in front of our eyes. No 49 year old should be doing what Hopkins is doing, in no other contact sport will you find a guy plying their trade at the highest level at nearly 50 years old.

2am on Boxnation.

Edited by PlayItLivo

What we're seeing here is a bonafide all time great right in front of our eyes. No 49 year old should be doing what Hopkins is doing, in no other contact sport will you find a guy plying their trade at the highest level at nearly 50 years old.

Randy Couture was 47 when he retired from competition at the highest level.

Never liked Hopkins. Horrrible to watch. Runs away, turns his back, holds, hugs....be funny to see him try and run from Kovalev.

He's not to everyone's taste, but he generally brings out the worse in every boxer he fights, Calzaghe had a very awkward night and even though he won on points B-Hop really had his way in that fight. It's fair that B-Hop is only getting his due credit now because of his age and if his fighting style and achievements isn't enough to give him credit for, the fact that he's 49 years old and willing to step in with one of the most devastating punchers in the sport (even though he'd get a pass for ducking Kovalev) is definitely worth crediting him for. I mean Kovalev has killed a guy in the ring, it's not really something I'm glorifying as an attribute, but he punches devastatingly hard and B-Hop is nearly 50.

Dude fought shot to :censored: boxer James Toney!

That wasn't Couture's fault, nor was it his last fight! His last fight (129) was against the dethroned Machida, essentially the make-or-break bout for Couture and a pick-me-up for Lyoto.

That wasn't Couture's fault, nor was it his last fight! His last fight (129) was against the dethroned Machida, essentially the make-or-break bout for Couture and a pick-me-up for Lyoto.

Was he competitive in that fight? Was he winning world titles at that age? I'm not really that knowledgeable of UFC, but since age 47 Hopkins has been two time world champion, unified champion and if he wins tonight he's undisputed champion, and that's at two months shy of 50!

My comment wasn't aimed specifically at MMA, I said contact sport just someone didn't pipe up with Phil Taylor in darts....which is no where near the same level of achievement as Hopkins lol

Edited by PlayItLivo

He took quite a beating, Pulev.

Wlad is too good. He's just head and shoulders above the competition and it really didn't help that the only other heavyweigt that's been dominant in the past 10 years is his brother.

As for a Bellew v Clev, I think Clev wins on points again.

Bellew talks a much better game than he actually fights.

It's laughable that it's on Box Office.

Edited by PlayItLivo

He took quite a beating, Pulev.

Wlad is too good. He's just head and shoulders above the competition and it really didn't help that the only other heavyweigt that's been dominant in the past 10 years is his brother.

As for a Bellew v Clev, I think Clev wins on points again.

Bellew talks a much better game than he actually fights.

It's laughable that it's on Box Office.

Agree with you on all the points you made apart from the result, I think has become a lot stronger at this weight, I fancy him for a K.O win, I do Cleverly is the more technical boxer though.

Bellew will just swing wildly hoping to take Clev out early as I think he knows Clev will be fitter and stronger down the straight. If Clev gets past 5 rounds, I see a UD going his way.

Degale v Periban could be interesting. Kudos to Degale taking this fight - he didn't have to and could have opted for a nobody like Groves' opponent.