Hardy in Oldham pay cut warning

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as predicted, its made todays Chron.

I would liek to think I speak on behalf of alot of Oldham fans here but we do not expect our team to win week in week out, we know we can't compete financially with a fair few clubs in this division, and we don't expect the team to play like man u all the time. What we do ask for is that the team puts a shift in for the full 90 minutes, sets the stall out to win the game and tries to play the game how it should be played. The fact that for large parts of the season we have not been doing this is what has enraged many fans I think.

Love or hate the man, Gannon proved at stockport that you don't need a huge wage bill to be able to play attacking football on the deck.

Amazing how many Latics fans still live in a parallel universe, a place that we will call "nonsense-ville". Funnily enough this weird place is right next to "feel-I-need-to-express-my-utter-drivel-opinion-at-all-costs town"...

Dave Penney - perspective please. He is NOT the reason for falling attendances, and he is NOT stupid and he does NOT set teams up with the express intention of only scoring once. Granted the midfield hasn't contributed as much as we'd like, the full-backs haven't done the damage that we'd like and the strikers haven't scored as many as we'd like - but that isn't all his fault! He cannot legislate for Parker's inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and let us not forget that he wasn't the only person in the region who thought that guy was a good signing. His keeper dives over the ball, Reuben ice-skates for the first half dozen games of the season and we can't score - queue sticky patch that we struggle to get out of and poor form.

Take into account for God's sake that most of his "marquee" signings have missed large chunks of the season and that Taylor (our star man) has been anonymous for large parts of the year. I am absolutely not suggesting that the guy has done a sterling job and should be commended and ennobled, but if you want to see the team he wants then look at it now. Passing midfielders, attacking wide men, solid base and a runner doing the buzzing off of Pav. This is the system he wanted, and if this too is crap then so be it.

I said elsewhere that people were getting ahead of themselves with signings. We need to address the keeper, centre-half and centre-forward. Move some players out, get rid of Brill and Flahaven and see what budget we have. I'd definitely work hard to keep Lee and Whitaker, Guy and :censored: on a season long too. Then we'd just need a keeper.

We knew there was going to be a slash in the budget, why not think of it as AH giving the fans a nudge in the right direction - I can't blame him after 3 for 2 offers, free and reduced entry schemes etc have only managed to get people to BP when it is cheap before they retire to their armchairs having "done their bit". We have such a load of bollocks-talking whining cry-babies it is pathetic.

Amazing how many Latics fans still live in a parallel universe, a place that we will call "nonsense-ville". Funnily enough this weird place is right next to "feel-I-need-to-express-my-utter-drivel-opinion-at-all-costs town"...

Dave Penney - perspective please. He is NOT the reason for falling attendances, and he is NOT stupid and he does NOT set teams up with the express intention of only scoring once. Granted the midfield hasn't contributed as much as we'd like, the full-backs haven't done the damage that we'd like and the strikers haven't scored as many as we'd like - but that isn't all his fault! He cannot legislate for Parker's inability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, and let us not forget that he wasn't the only person in the region who thought that guy was a good signing. His keeper dives over the ball, Reuben ice-skates for the first half dozen games of the season and we can't score - queue sticky patch that we struggle to get out of and poor form.

Take into account for God's sake that most of his "marquee" signings have missed large chunks of the season and that Taylor (our star man) has been anonymous for large parts of the year. I am absolutely not suggesting that the guy has done a sterling job and should be commended and ennobled, but if you want to see the team he wants then look at it now. Passing midfielders, attacking wide men, solid base and a runner doing the buzzing off of Pav. This is the system he wanted, and if this too is crap then so be it.

I said elsewhere that people were getting ahead of themselves with signings. We need to address the keeper, centre-half and centre-forward. Move some players out, get rid of Brill and Flahaven and see what budget we have. I'd definitely work hard to keep Lee and Whitaker, Guy and :censored: on a season long too. Then we'd just need a keeper.

We knew there was going to be a slash in the budget, why not think of it as AH giving the fans a nudge in the right direction - I can't blame him after 3 for 2 offers, free and reduced entry schemes etc have only managed to get people to BP when it is cheap before they retire to their armchairs having "done their bit". We have such a load of bollocks-talking whining cry-babies it is pathetic.

Can I just ask De La Vega how many games you have been to this season? And what makes someones opinion drivel? Just because they disagree with yours? Hate to disappoint you but this is a message board is it not, and it is a means by which people can express their opinions.

And also point out where anyone said it was Penney's fault? The recession and large number of southern teams in the division have both played their part in the drop in attendances, but like it or lump it, so have the poor performances that have been served up this season. and it is DP's job to address this. Yes a slash in the budget was to be expected but to blame the drop in crowds(the PC way for putting the onus on the fans in my opinion), considering the money the club has wasted on loanees that are not much better than what we have, on transfer fees such as paying over 100k on two players, one of whom is in and out of the first team, selling arguably our most valuable player for peanuts (eardley), least of all the absolute dross that has been served up for large parts of the season? Do you not think the club ought to have a long hard look at why the crowds dropped before they go crying to the national press?

And in what sense is blaming the low crowds for a budget slash a nudge in the right direction? As if to say the fans were wrong for not paying £20 for watching the crap served up by the team?

Can I just ask De La Vega how many games you have been to this season? And what makes someones opinion drivel? Just because they disagree with yours? Hate to disappoint you but this is a message board is it not, and it is a means by which people can express their opinions.

And also point out where anyone said it was Penney's fault? The recession and large number of southern teams in the division have both played their part in the drop in attendances, but like it or lump it, so have the poor performances that have been served up this season. and it is DP's job to address this. Yes a slash in the budget was to be expected but to blame the drop in crowds(the PC way for putting the onus on the fans in my opinion), considering the money the club has wasted on loanees that are not much better than what we have, on transfer fees such as paying over 100k on two players, one of whom is in and out of the first team, selling arguably our most valuable player for peanuts (eardley), least of all the absolute dross that has been served up for large parts of the season?

And in what sense is blaming the low crowds for a budget slash a nudge in the right direction? As if to say the fans were wrong for not paying £20 for watching the crap served up by the team?

I wrote earlier that DP is mainly to blame in the way he set out his teams to play (until his own personal 'Road to Damascus' recently) - the negative way that the team was deployed only led to poor results and a major loss of confidence for many players - not the only reason but a significant cause in the falling attendances.

So imho it is DP's fault (at least partially) :unsure:

Well as predicted, its made todays Chron.

I would liek to think I speak on behalf of alot of Oldham fans here but we do not expect our team to win week in week out, we know we can't compete financially with a fair few clubs in this division, and we don't expect the team to play like man u all the time. What we do ask for is that the team puts a shift in for the full 90 minutes, sets the stall out to win the game and tries to play the game how it should be played. The fact that for large parts of the season we have not been doing this is what has enraged many fans I think.

Love or hate the man, Gannon proved at stockport that you don't need a huge wage bill to be able to play attacking football on the deck.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...t-to-be-slashed

I wrote earlier that DP is mainly to blame in the way he set out his teams to play (until his own personal 'Road to Damascus' recently) - the negative way that the team was deployed only led to poor results and a major loss of confidence for many players - not the only reason but a significant cause in the falling attendances.

So imho it is DP's fault (at least partially) :unsure:

I keep reading the thread title as "Alan Hardy In Oldham Pav cut warning" thinking that our star striker is in for a seemingly dangerous vasectomy operation.

Anyway, back on track, I think reading between the lines then this will be happening at most clubs, not just ours. It goes without saying we need to make cuts, especially when we're getting up to 1,500 less bums on seats and more per game. The replies from folk suggesting Penney gets handed a picture of a Spitfire and clear his desk will get the fans flocking back are ludicrous anyway. It'll just mean the next guy; Gannon included comes in, we see a slight uplift in attendences for a few games before the nature of the beast kicks in, division 3 players start making on-field errors and the numpties are back demanding his head on a plate again. Ad infinitum.

Unless fresh investment is secured by the owners (who quite clearly are not intending to plough cash into us, and why would they?), the mission statement for the foreseeable is try and keep us in this division. Yep, bleak as it is, unless you know someone with a lot of cash on the hip who doesn't mind not seeing much of it back then that's just the way it is.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

If I had any of those new fangled smiley things that do a sarcastic applause; I’d be using it now.

Really patronising that post – and any of the points that may have actually been valid have unfortunately been lost in a sea of ‘I’m better than you’ gloatyness………

DP & his brand of football isn’t the only reason for the fall in attendances; I think any reasonably minded fan could tell you that; but he most certainly is 1 of them (a major one at that IMO too)

In this harsh economic climate; value for money has to be a priority for any ‘luxury’ spends – and whether you want to gloss around it or sugar coat it; the simple fact is that the value for money from this seasons performances has been incredibly poor. DP has to take to take a massive slice of the blame for this fact; but he’s not on his own in this respect.

AH has only confirmed what most, if not all of us knew already. The budgets are down; and the cloths will be cut accordingly. DP will still be here next season; and I can only see another tough season ahead. So; another season of making my own entertainment in the paddock ‘giving some’ to the away bench & Lino’s awaits then!!!

I keep reading the thread title as "Alan Hardy In Oldham Pav cut warning" thinking that our star striker is in for a seemingly dangerous vasectomy operation.

Anyway, back on track, I think reading between the lines then this will be happening at most clubs, not just ours. It goes without saying we need to make cuts, especially when we're getting up to 1,500 less bums on seats and more per game. The replies from folk suggesting Penney gets handed a picture of a Spitfire and clear his desk will get the fans flocking back are ludicrous anyway. It'll just mean the next guy; Gannon included comes in, we see a slight uplift in attendences for a few games before the nature of the beast kicks in, division 3 players start making on-field errors and the numpties are back demanding his head on a plate again. Ad infinitum.

Unless fresh investment is secured by the owners (who quite clearly are not intending to plough cash into us, and why would they?), the mission statement for the foreseeable is try and keep us in this division. Yep, bleak as it is, unless you know someone with a lot of cash on the hip who doesn't mind not seeing much of it back then that's just the way it is.

Yup thats fair enough. As for other clubs cutting their cloth, MK are doing so (hence the reason ince has resigned), although when you have arguably the 6th biggest budget that probably doesnt mean alot. My problem is not with the fact that we are cutting the budget, my problem with it is

Short version: The club needs to think about what it says before it goes bleating to the press and needs to get its own house in order before having a go at the fans.

Long version

1) The article being written, in the manner that it was, at the time it did. He could have said it as "we always structure the budget accordingly, based on attendances and how much the owners can afford to put in. Every club in the division does it. Its nothing new", or even better, they could have kept their traps shut until after the ST deadline. Would anyone on here buy a car if the salesman told you that the engine would conk out in next to no time and that rainwater would strip the paint off, would you buy it? Similar scenario re us selling season tickets when the club are banging on about reduced budgets in the local press?

2) As the chron put it 'blaming low crowds' for the cut, as in blaming fans for not parting with £20 to watch the drivel that has been served up??

3) They moan about the loss of money and the recession. How much of this money has been wasted by the club?

- The club spent about 110k on fees for two players, furman and colbeck, one of whom is in and out of the team at the moment, the other who is nowhere near the team at the moment after being subbed after 35 mins at milton keynes.

- The club sold arguably our most valuable player, a full welsh international whom has captained his club and who is under the age of 20, for 300k?

- Whatever the club spent on Kiegan Parkers wage!!

If I had any of those new fangled smiley things that do a sarcastic applause; I’d be using it now.

Really patronising that post – and any of the points that may have actually been valid have unfortunately been lost in a sea of ‘I’m better than you’ gloatyness………

DP & his brand of football isn’t the only reason for the fall in attendances; I think any reasonably minded fan could tell you that; but he most certainly is 1 of them (a major one at that IMO too)

In this harsh economic climate; value for money has to be a priority for any ‘luxury’ spends – and whether you want to gloss around it or sugar coat it; the simple fact is that the value for money from this seasons performances has been incredibly poor. DP has to take to take a massive slice of the blame for this fact; but he’s not on his own in this respect.

AH has only confirmed what most, if not all of us knew already. The budgets are down; and the cloths will be cut accordingly. DP will still be here next season; and I can only see another tough season ahead. So; another season of making my own entertainment in the paddock ‘giving some’ to the away bench & Lino’s awaits then!!!

To be honest when I read a lot of the tripe that people spout I feel gloaty and better than some.

Value for money was cack when Shez was in charge - £20 is too much to watch football, but am I the only one who remember an interview with the owners where they argued that they were setting it there in order to pump more money back into the squad? They got 13,000 in when it was free but how many of those people came the week after? That would have put their spend at £10 per game. Also, these owners have tried on more than one occasion to offer incentives to attendance, but they aren't well patronised and so we go back to needing £20 per fan. That is the nudge I talked about.

I'm kind of sorry to annoy but the fact is that this team is better than that at the end of last year, because I haven't seen a performance yet where I suspected that the effort wasn't there. DP cops a huge amount of residual flak from the disappointment that was last year's collapse, and the abuse that he has received on these boards has been nothing less than drivel. Opinions are fine, but in my eyes you have to think and understand to have an opinion and there is an inordinate amount on these threads that shows no thought and no concept of footballing reality.

As I have said - I am not a Penney fan and not trying to make excuses for the guy, but I am tired of reading the same old story about his being responsible for the downturn in fan interest. I am likewise sick to death of being told that the owners need to dip into their pockets - why would they? People speak of their sale of Eardley, but why did he go for cheap? Because fan abuse severed his connection with the club and he fell out with the sainted and much-lamented Sheridan! There are connected threads across all the issues at this club; Dave Penney is too recent an arrival to use as a scapegoat.