Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If the Election took place today who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote
    • Spoil Vote

Only Labour can deliver Electoral reform- yeah you maybe right. But if I was waiting 13 years for something to be delivered I'd look for a new delivery company.

Governments have lots of other things to do rather than fanny around with the constitution, which no one really cared about till a couple of weeks ago.

As is generally the way with these things, you've not allowed the facts to get in the way of having a good moan. (I've formed the impression that behind your nom de guerre, you're a 64-year-old female medical student.)

Labour have made several constitutional changes since 1997, including devolution and getting rid (as far as possible) of the hereditary Lords (against fierce resistance from the Bullingdon Club). Even at the last the Tories blocked the passage of a Bill that would've ensured a referendum on AV and AV+.

Doctor, the right leg was the one with gangrene in it. What have you done to me?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Governments have lots of other things to do rather than fanny around with the constitution, which no one really cared about till a couple of weeks ago.

As is generally the way with these things, you've not allowed the facts to get in the way of having a good moan. (I've formed the impression that behind your nom de guerre, you're a 64-year-old female medical student.)

Labour have made several constitutional changes since 1997, including devolution and getting rid (as far as possible) of the hereditary Lords (against fierce resistance from the Bullingdon Club). Even at the last the Tories blocked the passage of a Bill that would've ensured a referendum on AV and AV+.

Doctor, the right leg was the one with gangrene in it. What have you done to me?

Labour had a majority of over 100 for ages (don't know what it is now but it won't be far off that). The Lib Dems (i.e. on the other side of that majority) were in favour of proportional representation so how can the Tories block something (which the Lib Dems want) if it wasn't left to the last minute?

In Labours 97 Manifesto, and I quote,

"We are committed to a referendum on the voting system for the House of Commons. An independent commission on voting systems will be appointed early to recommend a proportional alternative to the first-past-the-post system." Is that factual enough?

Where's this referendum then? That was 13 years ago. Labour may have improved the rights of the Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish and Londoners (and took its time doing so) but I'm not one of them. I cared in 97, I cared in 2001, I cared in 2005 (the first time I was elligible), no-one cared maybe but then again the cynic in me thinks Labour didn't care as they had such a big majority they could promote controversial stuff (Iraq) and a form of proportional representation would limit their majority.

Well, I turned up at the polling station with an opinionated rant (believe it or not :blush:) ready to scribble down as a spoiler.

However I then had a moment of clarity and, considering the ruinous prospect of Gordon getting back in, reluctantly made a tactical vote for the Lib Dems.

I'd like to thank the Pro Labour Massive on here for swaying me into making my vote count. I feel a little dirty having gone against my principle so lets hope it's not in vain. Cheers! :chubb:

He admitted it. He said he gives the money out because it's normal to get people sandwiches and things - it just turns out that the price of sandwiches and things is exactly the equivalent of £3 per hour. There's documentary evidence too. Never mind. So apparently it's okay to pay people less than the minimum wage if you're an oh-so-important Liberal election candidate.

I would just love it if Woolas hangs on. Love it. As I understand it, everything depends on getting the Fitton Hillbillies out of bed and into the polling station. :unsure: :bobby:

:hanged:

Uh oh.

You know everyone personally who lives on Fitton Hill then? No doubt that's how the expenses fiddler Woolas regards them too.

Arrogant tossers, both of you.

More people would be saving more to fund here retirements...

and risk handing it over to the state in an unortunate event. I doubt it. People would be innovative to get round the tax.

On your other point. Life insurance forms part of your estate. As far as I am aware, this is still subject to inheritance tax so would be totally totally pointless. Why would anyone ever pay that premium in your ridiculous world

Well, I turned up at the polling station with an opinionated rant (believe it or not :blush:) ready to scribble down as a spoiler.

However I then had a moment of clarity and, considering the ruinous prospect of Gordon getting back in, reluctantly made a tactical vote for the Lib Dems.

I'd like to thank the Pro Labour Massive on here for swaying me into making my vote count. I feel a little dirty having gone against my principle so lets hope it's not in vain. Cheers! :chubb:

On this point is it usual for there to be not a lot of room for non standard voting as mine appeared to have been at the guillotine.

The Lib Dems are offering to sell their arses for anyone who'll give them the power that they singularly fail to win time after time at the ballot box. They're not offering to enable anyone to do anything. Mind you, if you voted LD in Putney, good on ya fella.

We need a more progressive tax system and electoral reform. Only Labour can deliver those things.

Hi mate

I will be doing when home in around an hour or so.

I doubt labour will bring in progressive tax reform. Poor people pay more tax per pound earned than the rich when including all taxes. In addition the annual tax statute publication (name of which I forget) has gone from 2 to approx 13 volumes in the last 13 years. Over complex and nitpicky is not progressive...

and risk handing it over to the state in an unfortunate event. I doubt it. People would be innovative to get round the tax.

On your other point. Life insurance forms part of your estate. As far as I am aware, this is still subject to inheritance tax so would be totally totally pointless. Why would anyone ever pay that premium in your ridiculous world

I haven't fully caught up with the thread but I'd just like to say how much I admire you for attempting to explain to oafc0000 the pitfalls of such a ridiculous suggestion.

I'd have never started for fear of winding up throwing myself out the window, on what will be Gordon's last day.

and risk handing it over to the state in an unortunate event. I doubt it. People would be innovative to get round the tax.

I haven't fully caught up with the thread but I'd just like to say how much I admire you for attempting to explain to oafc0000 the pitfalls of such a ridiculous suggestion.

I'd have never started for fear of winding up throwing myself out the window, on what will be Gordon's last day.

There is no IHT liability between spouses. So if oafc0000 died and his 100% IHT law was in effect, his Mrs would own his estate including his belongings. Plus, a life assurance policy can be written under a trust to an individual outside of the deceased's estate.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

The house is in my wifes name as well... I also have life insurance...

If the worse did happen and we both died then at least the state has the resources to step in. You know what happens at the moment ? Because I do, and its fecking horrible... State care is not very well funded at all :(

Ask yourself this, and its important... What happens when parents from a poor family die... What do there kids get ?

Is your house in joint names then? Or do you own half and she owns half?

If one of you dies, will the other have to sell it and give half to the state or are you intending that the survivor will get to keep (aka inherit) the deceaseds half?

You can't have it both ways, it's emergency council housing if one of you goes!

I am honestly chuffed you decided to vote...

I am oafc0000... For some reason I can't get in my normal account :huh:

Edited by oafc2008

Is your house in joint names then? Or do you own half and she owns half?

If one of you dies, will the other have to sell it and give half to the state or are you intending that the survivor will get to keep (aka inherit) the deceaseds half?

You can't have it both ways, it's emergency council housing if one of you goes!

The house is in joint names... Anyway, like I said this is not an election issue so lets move on...

Edited by oafc2008

Voting for police chiefs...

Good idea or bad idea... I think its an awful idea...

Awful idea, as is running your own schools.

Not sure who came up with the Tory direction in policy, but I get the feeling if they'd just played it sensible they'd have pissed this election.

Still think they'll win by a small majority - but it really is only gut instinct now.

Awful idea, as is running your own schools.

Not sure who came up with the Tory direction in policy, but I get the feeling if they'd just played it sensible they'd have pissed this election.

Still think they'll win by a small majority - but it really is only gut instinct now.

I have exactly the same gut instinct. Weird.

Voting for police chiefs...

Good idea or bad idea... I think its an awful idea...

Or, how about letting the local landlord also run the local hospital? Or the shopkeep run the school? How about selling off state assets on a massive scale for property development, and letting the voluntary sector build new facilities for battered wives, etc?

It's an awful idea, because it's a Tory idea. To borrow from Neil Kinnock: if Cameron wins tonight...

...I warn you. I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment.

I warn you that you will have ignorance – when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right.

I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can't pay.

I warn you that you will be cold – when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don't notice and the poor can't afford.

I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies.

I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light.

I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.

I warn you that you will have defence of a sort – with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding.

I warn you that you will be home-bound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.

I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.

If David Camoron wins on Thursday, I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old.

I am honestly chuffed you decided to vote...

I am oafc0000... For some reason I can't get in my normal account :huh:

You'd locked it, probably by entering the wrong password too many times. Unlocked now.

...almost as good as borrowing private money to build your public schools to keep it off the books.

<cough smiley>

Semantic issue: state schools are state schools; schools like Oldham hulme, Manchester Grammar are private schools (not too many toffs go there); Eton, Harrow, Westminster are public schools (where the toffs go)