New Manager Thread

If we could manage to get Butt I would be over the moon!!!!!!!

You'd be over the moon with us gambling on a man with no management or even coaching experience? If only all Latics fans were so easily pleased. Gray, Crossley and Butt would all be a huge gamble and, in my opinion, we should be looking to recruit someone who's proven they can do the job at a time when the playing budget is at its tightest in years and attendences are poor.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Return to shez era?

Well, would you rather have the shez seasons or the penney seasons?

Although I would relate Gray to Penney as they work in close conjunction and he has an input, I would not say the same of Crossley. He would be a completely new manager to me.

Some people seem to come over very well with the way they speak and the way you think they are in terms of management. Crossley is one, as is Gregan. Liddell is another. Gray isn't, and being honest neither is Butt.

There's been a multitude of good managers that can't manage that though.

Although I would relate Gray to Penney as they work in close conjunction and he has an input, I would not say the same of Crossley. He would be a completely new manager to me.

Some people seem to come over very well with the way they speak and the way you think they are in terms of management. Crossley is one, as is Gregan. Liddell is another. Gray isn't, and being honest neither is Butt.

There's been a multitude of good managers that can't manage that though.

Ie a certain manager who has just got Blackpool to the Prem, and comes out with stuff like 'knowing my luck at the mo if I fell into a barrel of boobs id come out sucking my thumb

You'd be over the moon with us gambling on a man with no management or even coaching experience? If only all Latics fans were so easily pleased. Gray, Crossley and Butt would all be a huge gamble and, in my opinion, we should be looking to recruit someone who's proven they can do the job at a time when the playing budget is at its tightest in years and attendences are poor.

Yes, I would be over the moon with a gamble for a change, so long as the guy who we are 'gambling on' is better than what we have. We tried what we thought was the safe option with Penney. look what happened there.

Sometimes players go straight into management with no coaching experience like that fella who used to play for Everton and City....whats his name now, Royle was it???

And just a reminder Holloway went straight into management with no coaching experience at Bristol Rovers, and without a pot to piss in managed to get them to the playoffs.

With a good number two at his side who knows the lower divisions, Butt would be a forward thinking progressive appointment. But the bottom line is I would not consider Butt a financially viable option, and think it is highly unlikely to happen.

Like Ronnie Moore? Or Brian Talbot? Or Dave Penney?

With a good number two at his side who knows the lower divisions, Butt would be a forward thinking progressive appointment. But the bottom line is I would not consider Butt a financially viable option, and think it is highly unlikely to happen.

I disagree. He has enough money to be able to wipe his arse on tenners. Like Ince he needs a starting point to manage though. I can't think we are any different to Macclesfield on this point.

I disagree. He has enough money to be able to wipe his arse on tenners. Like Ince he needs a starting point to manage though. I can't think we are any different to Macclesfield on this point.

We are a significantly stronger starting point than Macclesfield.

Yes, I would be over the moon with a gamble for a change, so long as the guy who we are 'gambling on' is better than what we have. We tried what we thought was the safe option with Penney. look what happened there.

Sometimes players go straight into management with no coaching experience like that fella who used to play for Everton and City....whats his name now, Royle was it???

And just a reminder Holloway went straight into management with no coaching experience at Bristol Rovers, and without a pot to piss in managed to get them to the playoffs.

Of course they're are managers who have had success after being thrown straight in but they're are more who've sunk. That's why I said it's a huge gamble. Given the backward steps the club has made over the past few years, I don't think this is the time to be taking that sort of gamble.

Hill is a non starter as we can't afford the compensation required. And I would imagine Gannon will be announced as Stockport manager in the not too distant future

What, like there was no way we could afford to sack Penney? If the club showed the ambition to bring a man like him, I for one would feel far more inclined to part with my hard-earned to watch Latics.

Tis a shame, innit.

Tis a bastard and a half, I would have loved to see Gary Speed here as manager :cry:

But finances dictate that we are probably looking at the likes of Crossley, Gray, Bunn or Simpson.

If Keith Hill is appointed on thursday then I will bake a big batch of humble pie and enjoy every minute of it!!!

Whilst I will hand you the oven gloves if needed. WHY would Hill want the job? He has asked dale for an extra million to stay in division?

Hypothetically, if he wanted the job, do you think TTA should employ him?

Did we find out what Mike Newton disagreed over and left the board because of....???

'Finding out' in OWTB terms means continually speculating until something is said enough times that it's taken as true.

So no, not at that stage quite yet.

'Finding out' in OWTB terms means continually speculating until something is said enough times that it's taken as true.

So no, not at that stage quite yet.

Aye, tis much more fun to make s**t up and put 2+2 together and get

Using facts and common sense are boring

Whilst I will hand you the oven gloves if needed. WHY would Hill want the job? He has asked dale for an extra million to stay in division?

That's exactly why he'd leave. 'Cause he knows £1mil is what he'd have to spend to keep Dale in League One. His team is falling apart. Tom Kennedy has gone, Dagnall is on the verge of going, Dawson looks like he'll be sold. They've released a ton of players. He's got a Rochdale promotion now on his C.V, maybe he'd fancy a new challenge. ....like getting on Oldham promotion on his C.V. :P

I never said he would want it. Even if he did we wouldnt have a chance of getting him unless dale went into admin and we wouldn't have to pay compo

Did we find out what Mike Newton disagreed over and left the board because of....???

I'm sure he said on the fishul site that he himself couldn't commit to the club due to having to keep flying to and from the USA so it would be better if he left. Think he said he's flew 8 or 9 times since coming on board and it's took it's toll on him so thought it would be better to leave.