New Manager Thread

I will even put my neck on the line here and say if Crossley got the job, then Martin Gray has every right to feel very hard done by.

Putting the 'penney beating bat' down for a minute (as alot seem to be using them to beat Gray with too), both Gray and Crossley have been part of management teams that have failed for different reasons. but when you compare the benefits of each candidate, Martin Grays far outweigh Mark Crossleys. Martin has had nine years of coaching experience progressing from youth team coach to number two, whereas crossley has had 3??? And to add to that, Martin has also had three brief spells as caretaker manager.

I am not saying for a minute Gray is my first choice for the role, far from it if truth be told. However, both ought to be judged on their own merits but to be fair to Gray, he is the current caretaker manager, he will know more than any external candidate about the current playing squad, and he will no doubt have his own ideas, and if Martin doesnt get the job I would hope it is someone who is justifably more qualified and more suited to the role than Martin.

No disrespect to Mark Crossley, but I do not feel he offers any more to the role than what Martin does.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has ever happened, who is the most successful goalkeeper to move into management?

As a player, Nigel Adkins was goalkeeper for Tranmere Rovers, Wigan Athletic and Bangor City. He graduated from the University of Salford in Physiotherapy. Got Scunny up twice and down once. Does that count as success?

As a player, Nigel Adkins was goalkeeper for Tranmere Rovers, Wigan Athletic and Bangor City. He graduated from the University of Salford in Physiotherapy. Got Scunny up twice and down once. Does that count as success?

In comparison to us, it can be considered to be unfathomable success!

If it has ever happened, who is the most successful goalkeeper to move into management?

Thanks to the Guardian online:

Why are goalkeepers so rarely effective managers? Which ex-keeper has the best management record ever?" .

It's partly a numbers game. With ten outfield players to every keeper, there's a far smaller pool of potential candidates. It's also worth bearing in mind that keepers tend to have longer playing careers. In England alone, John Burridge, Steve Ogrizovic, Neville Southall and Dave Beasant have all made top-flight appearances after the age of 40.

The most successful keeper-manager ever is surely the late Raymond Goethals. Born in Brussels in 1921, Goethals enjoyed a modest playing career between the sticks for minor Belgian clubs Daring and Racing de Bruxelles. However, as Xavier Lizin points out, there is nothing modest about his coaching CV. In 1993, Goethals guided Marseilles to victory in the Champions League final against a Milan side that included Marco van Basten, Franco Baresi and Frank Rijkaard.

It was the crowning moment of Goethal's managerial career. As coach of Belgium, he had led his country to the 1970 World Cup n Mexico, the first time they had qualified for 16 years, and also to a third-place finish in the 1972 European Championships. He reached two consecutive European Cup Winners' Cup finals with Anderlecht, winning the trophy in 1978, and also tasted domestic league and cup success with Standard Liege. His career as Marseilles manager, meanwhile, included three successive league titles and, two years before the historic win over Milan, a European Cup final defeat to Red Star Belgrade.

A respectful nod also goes to former United States manager Bruce Arena. While Arena's greatest claim to fame as a player is a solitary appearance in the US goal for a 2-0 loss to Israel in 1973, his accomplishments as a coach are considerable. His DC United side not only won the first two MLS championships and the 1998 CONCACAF Champions Cup but beat Brazilian side Vasco da Gama over two legs to win the Interamerican Cup. In 2002 Arena also led America to the last eight of the World Cup while, in April 2006, the US achieved a best-ever Fifa world ranking of fourth.

Dino Zoff is worth a mention too. After captaining Italy to the 1982 World Cup, aged 40, Zoff turned to management, leading Juventus to the Uefa Cup and taking Italy to within a whisker of victory at Euro 2000, only for France to overturn a 1-0 deficit with seconds remaining, a result that prompted his resignation a few days later. Still, not bad for a goalie.

Thanks to the Guardian online:

Why are goalkeepers so rarely effective managers? Which ex-keeper has the best management record ever?" .

It's partly a numbers game. With ten outfield players to every keeper, there's a far smaller pool of potential candidates. It's also worth bearing in mind that keepers tend to have longer playing careers. In England alone, John Burridge, Steve Ogrizovic, Neville Southall and Dave Beasant have all made top-flight appearances after the age of 40.

The most successful keeper-manager ever is surely the late Raymond Goethals. Born in Brussels in 1921, Goethals enjoyed a modest playing career between the sticks for minor Belgian clubs Daring and Racing de Bruxelles. However, as Xavier Lizin points out, there is nothing modest about his coaching CV. In 1993, Goethals guided Marseilles to victory in the Champions League final against a Milan side that included Marco van Basten, Franco Baresi and Frank Rijkaard.

It was the crowning moment of Goethal's managerial career. As coach of Belgium, he had led his country to the 1970 World Cup n Mexico, the first time they had qualified for 16 years, and also to a third-place finish in the 1972 European Championships. He reached two consecutive European Cup Winners' Cup finals with Anderlecht, winning the trophy in 1978, and also tasted domestic league and cup success with Standard Liege. His career as Marseilles manager, meanwhile, included three successive league titles and, two years before the historic win over Milan, a European Cup final defeat to Red Star Belgrade.

A respectful nod also goes to former United States manager Bruce Arena. While Arena's greatest claim to fame as a player is a solitary appearance in the US goal for a 2-0 loss to Israel in 1973, his accomplishments as a coach are considerable. His DC United side not only won the first two MLS championships and the 1998 CONCACAF Champions Cup but beat Brazilian side Vasco da Gama over two legs to win the Interamerican Cup. In 2002 Arena also led America to the last eight of the World Cup while, in April 2006, the US achieved a best-ever Fifa world ranking of fourth.

Dino Zoff is worth a mention too. After captaining Italy to the 1982 World Cup, aged 40, Zoff turned to management, leading Juventus to the Uefa Cup and taking Italy to within a whisker of victory at Euro 2000, only for France to overturn a 1-0 deficit with seconds remaining, a result that prompted his resignation a few days later. Still, not bad for a goalie.

Cheers for the info!

Hi guys, I'm a long time Latics fan. When i saw super Lee Richardson was a candidate for the job I was delighted. He always gave 100% for the club, scored some great goals and in my knowledge, never missed a penalty.

Check out this link on Youtube to see some of the goals I've dug out from the archives! Hope he gets the nod next week!http://www.youtube.com/user/Braddersyorkie

Edited by Trueblueforever

Hi guys, I'm a long time Latics fan. When i saw super Lee Richardson was a candidate for the job I was delighted. He always gave 100% for the club, scored some great goals and in my knowledge, never missed a penalty.

Check out this link on Youtube to see some of the goals I've dug out from the archives! Hope he gets the nod next week!http://www.youtube.com/user/Braddersyorkie

1) Welcome to OWTB

2) Re Rico for manager, dont be daft.

Nuff said.

Hi Lee; How goes it? What you up to these days?

on the GK being good bosses topic, David James want to be Portsmouth boss.

GK boss

You can imagine it now ,

"Right lads training schedule today , 20 minutes of light running , then back in here for 2 hours for super mario, back out for an hour of ball skills then back in here for 2 hours of Mario Kart"

Du du du du Andy Liddell?

From the very reliable People newspaper

Latics get Cross

Mark Crossley is on the shortlist to become the next Oldham boss. The former Nottingham Forest keeper spent two seasons at the club and could form a managerial partneship with another former player - Andy Liddell - leaving the likes of Jum Gannon , Marting Gray , and Frankie Bunn dissapointed

Latics get Cross

Mark Crossley is on the shortlist to become the next Oldham boss. The former Nottingham Forest keeper spent two seasons at the club and could form a managerial partneship with another former player - Andy Liddell - leaving the likes of Jum Gannon , Marting Gray , and Frankie Bunn dissapointed

Whilst I do not think this would be a terrible appointment, would much rather have Martin Gray, as what does this management team above bring to the table that justifies them getting the job over Gray, apart from the fact that Crossley would kill two jobs with one wage

Latics get Cross

Mark Crossley is on the shortlist to become the next Oldham boss. The former Nottingham Forest keeper spent two seasons at the club and could form a managerial partneship with another former player - Andy Liddell - leaving the likes of Jim Gannon , Martin Gray , and Frankie Bunn dissapointed

Whilst I do not think this would be a terrible appointment, would much rather have Martin Gray, as what does this management team above bring to the table that justifies them getting the job over Gray, apart from the fact that Crossley would kill two jobs with one wage

I really cannot think of a worse (likely) appointment than Gray.

Any management team brings fans/customers back as they aren't Penney related. Also, knowing someone that has been coached by him, they won't be a cackhanded :censored: wit.

I am trying to see this as neutrally as I can but the way I see it in term of Gray vs Crossley

Gray

+ 9 Years coaching experience working his way up through youth team level

+ Knows what the current squad are capable of more than any other candidate

+ Will already know who he wants to get rid of and who he wants to bring in

+ Financially viable appointment and although this would be a gamble, if it didnt work we wouldn't have to pay off a contract

- Its pretty obvious the fans on here do not see this as a popular appointment and to put it bluntly, this appointment could cost season tickets (in fact, count this as two minuses)

- If we got off to a bad start....I don't even want to think about how our lot would react

Crossley

+ Knows the inner workings of the club

+ Kills two jobs (manager and gk coach) with one wage

+ Always well liked and looked up to whilst he was here

- Very limited experience compared to the likes of Gray and Bunn

- Does not know the capabilities of the current team hence will be playing catch up

- Do we really want a return to the end of the shez era?

Both have good points and bad points, and I think with Gray he has some very good points but some very bad points, which makes TTA's decision all the more difficult. However, although if the job was given to crossley and liddell over Gray I would understand why, and give them my full 100 percent support, I do not think that the management team of Crossley and Liddell have enough going for them to warrant them getting the job over Gray.

But who knows eh, alot could depend on how they come across in the interviews, and for all we know it could be someone who isn't even on that list.

If we are getting an untried manager there is little point unless they have connections. If they can play as well all the better.

I'd rather have Gannon, but if it is an untried manager then surely it has to be Nicky Butt.

Hell, we may even get a few United fans turning up.

If we are getting an untried manager there is little point unless they have connections. If they can play as well all the better.

I'd rather have Gannon, but if it is an untried manager then surely it has to be Nicky Butt.

Hell, we may even get a few United fans turning up.

If we could manage to get Butt I would be over the moon!!!!!!!

I am trying to see this as neutrally as I can but the way I see it in term of Gray vs Crossley

Gray

+ 9 Years coaching experience working his way up through youth team level

+ Knows what the current squad are capable of more than any other candidate

+ Will already know who he wants to get rid of and who he wants to bring in

+ Financially viable appointment and although this would be a gamble, if it didnt work we wouldn't have to pay off a contract

- Its pretty obvious the fans on here do not see this as a popular appointment and to put it bluntly, this appointment could cost season tickets (in fact, count this as two minuses)

- If we got off to a bad start....I don't even want to think about how our lot would react

Crossley

+ Knows the inner workings of the club

+ Kills two jobs (manager and gk coach) with one wage

+ Always well liked and looked up to whilst he was here

- Very limited experience compared to the likes of Gray and Bunn

- Does not know the capabilities of the current team hence will be playing catch up

- Do we really want a return to the end of the shez era?

Both have good points and bad points, and I think with Gray he has some very good points but some very bad points, which makes TTA's decision all the more difficult. However, although if the job was given to crossley and liddell over Gray I would understand why, and give them my full 100 percent support, I do not think that the management team of Crossley and Liddell have enough going for them to warrant them getting the job over Gray.

But who knows eh, alot could depend on how they come across in the interviews, and for all we know it could be someone who isn't even on that list.

Good points for both.

But ultimately gray's two minuses will count against him to badly. We will sell hardly anymore season tickets if he is appointed, like you also say, if we got off to a bad start.. wouldnt want to think about it

Crossley and liddel wouldnt to be bad, both respected when here, especially crossley, he seemed to come across confident etc in interviews.

Return to shez era?

Well, would you rather have the shez seasons or the penney seasons?