New Manager Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it could be quite flattering to have a footballing legend interested in managing your club (if the Ossie rumours are true), but I hope we don't go with him, done very little of note since the early 90's.

+1

And I also find it hard to concieve that he would be willing to drop down to this level and work on a limited budget.

Enough with the has beens, youth and hunger (in management terms that is) all the way this time.

Youth and hunger vs experience and knowledge.

No certainty either way - every appointment is a gamble. Especially where there is not millions to spend where by you can buy great players, and buy more if they don't work (even then its not guaranteed - look at Scolari at Chelsea).

For the sake of interest and ST sales, we don't need an internal appointment though

Youth and hunger vs experience and knowledge.

No certainty either way - every appointment is a gamble. Especially where there is not millions to spend where by you can buy great players, and buy more if they don't work (even then its not guaranteed - look at Scolari at Chelsea).

For the sake of interest and ST sales, we don't need an internal appointment though

I think its a shame for Gray though. He has many plus points and is willing to work on the budget offered to him. However, I just don't think it would go down well with the fans. The manager should start on an even keel, and although Gray would have my 100 percent support if he is appointed, I feel the same could not be said for many other fans, and I dont feel he will have the luxury of starting on an even keel. He will be fighting an uphill battle from the off, and god help him if we get off to a bad start.

With the likes of Gannon, Bunn, Butt and Ardiles being mentioned, there's going to be a lot of people disappointed when they give the job to Martin Gray.

If they were going to give the job to Martin Gray then why bother with the interview process, they will know all about his qualities and if he's as good a coach as Mike Newton said it would save us some money from any pay off ........he may be an option for the assistants role but I think it would depend on the requests of any new manager.

I still reckon we will end up with Bunn and would be more than happy with that!

If they were going to give the job to Martin Gray then why bother with the interview process, they will know all about his qualities and if he's as good a coach as Mike Newton said it would save us some money from any pay off ........he may be an option for the assistants role but I think it would depend on the requests of any new manager.

I still reckon we will end up with Bunn and would be more than happy with that!

I agree, good to see who is avaialble, and happy with a thorough interview, but I think people are jumping the gun with assuming Gray will get it.No need to waste a month doing that.

Besides, Mike Newton extolled the virtues of Martin Gray, and the next day he was off the Board....

Edited by singe

Do you reckon, as is the way for any club or any job for that matter, that 35 of those are not serious applications and you can count on the one hand realistic and quality applicants?

well from what JSS has told us 30 of the applications are from Carlton Palmer :wink:

I honestly cannot see Gray getting the job. The way the club is at the moment (falling attendances) the club will either go for someone that is one of the following

1. has a good managerial record

2. Someone that is wanted by the fans (i.e Gannon)

3. If they are trying a unproven manager they will go with someone with a good reputation with the fans (i.e an ex player).

I just dont think they would have sacked DP to then appoint Gray.

Its got to be Jim Gannon, he is liked by most of the fans and has a lot of experience, frankie bunn coming in second, if he had more experience as a manager I would have made him favourite, all the others seem to either be not popular with fans or lacking in recent experience.

note: I said Jim Gannon is liked by most fans, some will hate him and call for him out from the start, but then again not everyone will like any manager, but it seems the majority would be satisfied if they hear of Gannons appointment