New Manager Thread

we need consistancy at the club, we cant afford to be 'finding' the team at the begining of the season again... knowing the squad we have now and knowing the best 11 is more important to us this year than ever !

we have to remember that in the first 3 months of the season there is a spate of managers losing their jobs... if Gray cant prove he is upto the job then the list of managers to pick from will be bigger...

I have met Bunn... Cant imagine him as our Manager, good coach but he is Media shy... we need a manager media and fans focused !

Gannon the guy is a live wire, the club can ill afford a lose cannon !

Crossley and or Andy Liddell just like lee Richardson.... old boys that fans remeber fondly yet will turn on quicker !

Bring stability to the club, bring consistancy to the coaching set up, bring a familiar face to the players/fans... Bring in Martin Gray

Gray wouldn't be my choice but it seems it is becoming increasingly likely that the cheap option is going to be taken. My choice would have been Bunn but we need someone able to communicate and relate to the fans after the PR disasters that were BT, RM, DP and dare I say Shez. Dowie had the fans on side from the start and the more I think about it the more I think Gray would be similar in expectations of his squad running through brick walls for the cause.

My only concerns are that he fluffed his last day interview with the :censored:e served up v Charlton and will he have enough contacts to use what little budget we have wisely? Whoever gets it will have my backing - hell I've renewed my ST despite the uncertainty but if it is Gray the owners have strung the fans along a little. He should have been appointed immediately, it's obvious Gray will have some sort of role as it is blatantly clear that he's the one probably making the footballing decisions. What would piss me off is the three week delay to simply appoint in-house...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing against Crossley, but this is not the appointment the club needs now. IF we are not going to give it to Martin Gray, I would hope we would give it to someone who is justifiably more qualified for the position, which to put it bluntly, Mark Crossley is not.

Gray wouldn't be my choice but it seems it is becoming increasingly likely that the cheap option is going to be taken. My choice would have been Bunn but we need someone able to communicate and relate to the fans after the PR disasters that were BT, RM, DP and dare I say Shez. Dowie had the fans on side from the start and the more I think about it the more I think Gray would be similar in expectations of his squad running through brick walls for the cause.

My only concerns are that he fluffed his last day interview with the :censored:e served up v Charlton and will he have enough contacts to use what little budget we have wisely? Whoever gets it will have my backing - hell I've renewed my ST despite the uncertainty but if it is Gray the owners have strung the fans along a little. He should have been appointed immediately, it's obvious Gray will have some sort of role as it is blatantly clear that he's the one probably making the footballing decisions. What would piss me off is the three week delay to simply appoint in-house...

But what would that indicate if he did get it though? The fact that the owners may have said "we welcome your application but your up against external applicants", hence if he does get it, it will be because he has proved against other applicants that he is the best man for the position.

If they were appointing Gray as 'the cheap appointment', it would have been done straight after Penney went. You don't go through the whole shebang of advertising the position, finalising a shortlist and interview candidates if you are going to make the cheap appointment.

Little Birdy Tells Me...

Crossley's got it - absolutely nothing to substantiate this but hey what the hell thought I'd share the info, Brother-in-law is normally spot on. Told me Royle was replacing Shez three days before it happened and Penney was getting the boot the day before he actually did. However, lots of complete bollocks from him over the years. So we shall see. If it is lardarse I say give him a go - the lad has worked under Cloughie, Frank Clark, Bassett,Venables, Robson, McClaren, Tigana, Coleman and whoever was managing Wales- so he's got a decent pedigree oh and he also knows how now to do it by spending 3 years with Shez...

do feel that Crossley has the makings of something. Gut instinct is all i can go on.

However I don't think that just because he has worked under the managers named makes the person any good.

For every sucess there is a Tony Adams, or Sammy Lee or Lawrie Sanchez or Terry Butcher, or Glenn Roeder, or Gazza, Bryan Gunn, or Peter Taylor, or Alan Ball, or David Platt !

I'd like to think Crossley could do something, but would like to know what coaching qualificiations he has done, and the worry is will he get the time. He'd need Big Joe-esque time., not sure we have that.

Martin Gray v Mark Crossley all comes down to how much they are respected as players and their approach and managemetn skills. It's notthing something us fans can determine.

we need consistancy at the club, we cant afford to be 'finding' the team at the begining of the season again... knowing the squad we have now and knowing the best 11 is more important to us this year than ever !

we have to remember that in the first 3 months of the season there is a spate of managers losing their jobs... if Gray cant prove he is upto the job then the list of managers to pick from will be bigger...

I have met Bunn... Cant imagine him as our Manager, good coach but he is Media shy... we need a manager media and fans focused !

Gannon the guy is a live wire, the club can ill afford a lose cannon !

Crossley and or Andy Liddell just like lee Richardson.... old boys that fans remeber fondly yet will turn on quicker !

Bring stability to the club, bring consistancy to the coaching set up, bring a familiar face to the players/fans... Bring in Martin Gray

Only thing I would say against this Wardle is our reputation for hiring and firing is bad enough as it. Do we really want to be thinking about the possibility of employing our 7th manager in 7 years three months down the line. If there is any doubt that this will be the case then Gray shouldn't get the job in the interest of long term stability.

do feel that Crossley has the makings of something. Gut instinct is all i can go on.

However I don't think that just because he has worked under the managers named makes the person any good.

For every sucess there is a Tony Adams, or Sammy Lee or Lawrie Sanchez or Terry Butcher, or Glenn Roeder, or Gazza, Bryan Gunn, or Peter Taylor, or Alan Ball, or David Platt !

I'd like to think Crossley could do something, but would like to know what coaching qualificiations he has done, and the worry is will he get the time. He'd need Big Joe-esque time., not sure we have that.

Martin Gray v Mark Crossley all comes down to how much they are respected as players and their approach and managemetn skills. It's notthing something us fans can determine.

I think ALOT will come down to the final interviews.

If they were appointing Gray as 'the cheap appointment', it would have been done straight after Penney went. You don't go through the whole shebang of advertising the position, finalising a shortlist and interview candidates if you are going to make the cheap appointment.

You do if your a club tryin to flog a load of season tickets.... And its worked!

Look at the increase in sales since Penney went!

I bet there will be quite a few season ticket holders hacked off if they go and appoint gray as manager now after giving it the old ''we're amazed at some of the names applying for the job, names you wouldnt think would want to manage oldham'' crap

You do if your a club tryin to flog a load of season tickets.... And its worked!

Look at the increase in sales since Penney went!

I bet there will be quite a few season ticket holders hacked off if they go and appoint gray as manager now after giving it the old ''we're amazed at some of the names applying for the job, names you wouldnt think would want to manage oldham'' crap

talking to 2 chaps in WH friday night, saying if they aren't impressed with the appointment, their season tickets go back.

overheard 3 chaps on sat night in WH that if failsworth happens, they are finished.

TTA have alienated too many fans with their actions over the last few years.get this wrong and the trend will continue.

if they have ambitions for the football team they have to show those ambitions.

all i see now is failsworth as their baby..not oldham athletic.

i feel more detached from this club every new day.

Lee Richardson is my choice. An ex Oldham player with experience at this level, it makes sense to me.

I just Googled Lee Richardson to check on his experience at this level, and the first article I encountered was this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...rfield-axe.html

Now, not only is it about him getting sacked by Chesterfield, but look at the picture! :shock:

But what would that indicate if he did get it though? The fact that the owners may have said "we welcome your application but your up against external applicants", hence if he does get it, it will be because he has proved against other applicants that he is the best man for the position.

You do if you don't want it to look like the cheap option.

Lee Richardson Maybe you guys should google his goals.

He's a great up and coming young manager, and he has the loyalty of a former legend.

Couldn't give a monkeys toss about his goals, would rather see Martin Gray than him. If he is such a great manager why did he get the boot at Chesterfield, and why has he been out of work for over a season?

Couldn't give a monkeys toss about his goals, would rather see Martin Gray than him. If he is such a great manager why did he get the boot at Chesterfield, and why has he been out of work for over a season?

I forgot we're such a massive club-why don't we give Ferguson a call, or Capello?

Get real, he fits the bill perfectly. Had nothing at his disposal at Chesterfield, he was also a massive factor in them moving grounds, i know we are too but its all about ambition.