New Manager Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the jungle drums have changed their tune over the last week or so.

All the "in the knows" and I have a "usually reliable :sauce: within the club" types were telling us last week that Mr Gannon was the chosen one.

Now we have the "worst kept secret" brigade complaining that if a certain Scottish 5'4" ex Council house forward has got the job "why dont the club just announce it" and that the delay shows "what a joke" the club is. Jeepers! What does that make West Ham with the Avram Grant appointment that was an even worse kept secret. Alleged Clandestine meetings in a Manchester restaurant/bar with an ex manager that left on shall we say not the best of terms. WTF.

On another thread, I was asked who I would like and I gave my reasons for preferring Bunn, so it will surprise few that I favour the PD type appointment. You just have to look at my signature to see why.

What would PD bring to the table?

1) For a start passion. Sadly lacking last season, both on the pitch and in the stands.

2) Pride. Pride to wear the shirt. Pride to walk out of the tunnel and perform. Pride to be a professional footballer

3) Professionalism. Just read the comments of Royle, Pearce and Goater in the MEN article

4) Belief. Not just to the players, but also to the fans. He wants the fans to love him. He interacts with them and he is not....... ahem, "shy."

What can he give the team that we lacked last season. I believe he can re-ignite the likes of Taylor and Smalley in particular and think that he can change the style and allow the likes of Furman the freedom to truly express himself. If that happens, then we will make progress next season and thats all I would ask. Progress and entertainment. Oh and lets aim to put a bit of a cup run together. I'm not bothered which cup, FA, League or even the paint drying variety. In fact lets go for it in the JPT. A day out at Wembley would put a spring in all our steps I also think that with his wealth of experience at higher level clubs he can bring in some up and coming stars and instill into them the Pride Passion and Belief that will make them better footballers and which will also benefit us in the short term within the budget available to him.

What are the potential drawbacks?

1) For some it is his lack of experience. I have to say though I am not a great lover of experience at division 3 standard. It "usuallly" means a manager who has failed on more than 1 occassion elsewhere. Once you are on a downward spiral as a manager there is usually no wayback. You can say that the likes of Talbot and Penny came to us after various levels of success at their previous clubs and that they could not have been said to have failed previously and that is a fair point. However, both had been given plenty to spend at their respective clubs and whilst Talbot was then said to have deserted a sinking ship at Rushden, Penny was moved on by Doncaster once they felt they had gone as far as they could under his stewardship. Ronnie Moore had also had success at Rotherham, with his 2nd promotion probably coming on the back of the momentum they had built up, but once Rotherhams fortunes turned that downward spiral was in motion and in truth, he has not achieved anything since. Well, except consistent top half finishes, although yet again this season he has missed the big prize at the last minute. The time it matters most. I have a theory about experience at this level and I cant recall seeing experience work yet at BP.

2) We will lose the discipline we had defensively last season. Whilst it is hard to dispute that we were well "organised" last season, we were also boring. If we concede a few goals more, then so be it. Give me more goals in the oppositions net and I will be a lot happier than keeping clean sheets.

3) He will make mistakes. I say good. He will learn quicker that way. He wont be afraid to make mistakes and neither should he be. It means he is trying things. Working to find the best way forward, working to find ways to improve the team

4) It will/may take time to build us. Again no real problem with this. If it takes 2, 3 or even 4 years to have us challenging then so be it. Progress be it slow and gradual or over night is all most of us are looking for.

One question I would like to pose is when was the last time Latics appointed a young untried manager who DIDN'T have some level of success i.e. promotion or playoffs?

Finally, a few predictions: -

1) The highs and lows of next season will be extreme. By this I mean we will probably get breathtaking victories against the likes of Southampton and Charlton and be depressed when the likes of Rochdale spring a surpise on us, together with the odd hammering here and there.

2) We will finish in the top 10 next season

3) We will have a cup run in at least 1 of the 3 cup competitions

4) PD will either get sent off from the field of play or the touchline before Christmas.

Bring it on. That is if PD is the man unveiled as our new leader next Wednesday. If he is not. Ignore this post :wink:

Good post. If it is not PD then let the same apply to whoever is appointed. (Maybe change top 10 to say top half/top of lower half

Re this first drawback, I think this can be partially solved by having a good number two

might have missed a few threads/posts on here for a couple of days but what first drawback has there been?

So the jungle drums have changed their tune over the last week or so.

All the "in the knows" and I have a "usually reliable :sauce: within the club" types were telling us last week that Mr Gannon was the chosen one.

Now we have the "worst kept secret" brigade complaining that if a certain Scottish 5'4" ex Council house forward has got the job "why dont the club just announce it" and that the delay shows "what a joke" the club is. Jeepers! What does that make West Ham with the Avram Grant appointment that was an even worse kept secret. Alleged Clandestine meetings in a Manchester restaurant/bar with an ex manager that left on shall we say not the best of terms. WTF.

On another thread, I was asked who I would like and I gave my reasons for preferring Bunn, so it will surprise few that I favour the PD type appointment. You just have to look at my signature to see why.

What would PD bring to the table?

1) For a start passion. Sadly lacking last season, both on the pitch and in the stands.

2) Pride. Pride to wear the shirt. Pride to walk out of the tunnel and perform. Pride to be a professional footballer

3) Professionalism. Just read the comments of Royle, Pearce and Goater in the MEN article

4) Belief. Not just to the players, but also to the fans. He wants the fans to love him. He interacts with them and he is not....... ahem, "shy."

What can he give the team that we lacked last season. I believe he can re-ignite the likes of Taylor and Smalley in particular and think that he can change the style and allow the likes of Furman the freedom to truly express himself. If that happens, then we will make progress next season and thats all I would ask. Progress and entertainment. Oh and lets aim to put a bit of a cup run together. I'm not bothered which cup, FA, League or even the paint drying variety. In fact lets go for it in the JPT. A day out at Wembley would put a spring in all our steps I also think that with his wealth of experience at higher level clubs he can bring in some up and coming stars and instill into them the Pride Passion and Belief that will make them better footballers and which will also benefit us in the short term within the budget available to him.

What are the potential drawbacks?

1) For some it is his lack of experience. I have to say though I am not a great lover of experience at division 3 standard. It "usuallly" means a manager who has failed on more than 1 occassion elsewhere. Once you are on a downward spiral as a manager there is usually no wayback. You can say that the likes of Talbot and Penny came to us after various levels of success at their previous clubs and that they could not have been said to have failed previously and that is a fair point. However, both had been given plenty to spend at their respective clubs and whilst Talbot was then said to have deserted a sinking ship at Rushden, Penny was moved on by Doncaster once they felt they had gone as far as they could under his stewardship. Ronnie Moore had also had success at Rotherham, with his 2nd promotion probably coming on the back of the momentum they had built up, but once Rotherhams fortunes turned that downward spiral was in motion and in truth, he has not achieved anything since. Well, except consistent top half finishes, although yet again this season he has missed the big prize at the last minute. The time it matters most. I have a theory about experience at this level and I cant recall seeing experience work yet at BP.

2) We will lose the discipline we had defensively last season. Whilst it is hard to dispute that we were well "organised" last season, we were also boring. If we concede a few goals more, then so be it. Give me more goals in the oppositions net and I will be a lot happier than keeping clean sheets.

3) He will make mistakes. I say good. He will learn quicker that way. He wont be afraid to make mistakes and neither should he be. It means he is trying things. Working to find the best way forward, working to find ways to improve the team

4) It will/may take time to build us. Again no real problem with this. If it takes 2, 3 or even 4 years to have us challenging then so be it. Progress be it slow and gradual or over night is all most of us are looking for.

One question I would like to pose is when was the last time Latics appointed a young untried manager who DIDN'T have some level of success i.e. promotion or playoffs?

Finally, a few predictions: -

1) The highs and lows of next season will be extreme. By this I mean we will probably get breathtaking victories against the likes of Southampton and Charlton and be depressed when the likes of Rochdale spring a surpise on us, together with the odd hammering here and there.

2) We will finish in the top 10 next season

3) We will have a cup run in at least 1 of the 3 cup competitions

4) PD will either get sent off from the field of play or the touchline before Christmas.

Bring it on. That is if PD is the man unveiled as our new leader next Wednesday. If he is not. Ignore this post :wink:

Good post overall but I disagree with prediction 2, top half would be a very good achievement for Dickov but I reckon lower mid-table is the best we can realistically hope for. Strongly agree with prediction 4 though! :lol:

A combination of drawbacks 2 and 4 are what worry me. I was happy with us being set up defensively last year as long as we could use it as a foundation to build in an attacking strategy for the coming season. Penney would've struggled to do this but it'll be even harder for Dickov as he has to immediately strike the balance between defence and attack to make us successful. I say immediately because while 3 or 4 years might be the ideal time to mould a successful squad, most fans simply aren't that patient and as we've seen this season they won't stick about if there isn't instant positivity, which will force the board to sack him. I will support Dickov for as long as he is here and I think he's a decent choice for a very difficult job, but I'm not expecting him to last the season.

Scunthorpes manager was the physio before he took over....he has been a revelation

Bournemouths and Brentfords managers are very young and have both won promotion.......

Lee Clark at Huddersfield is similar mould to Dickov - fair enough he has had a ton of financial backing....

There is no harm in having a young manager...dynamism, new ideas, ambition, passion.

Plus the Scots have a good record as managers....Fergie, Moyes, Davies, McLeish to name a few.

Latics fans however will still moan!

Scunthorpes manager was the physio before he took over....he has been a revelation

Bournemouths and Brentfords managers are very young and have both won promotion.......

Lee Clark at Huddersfield is similar mould to Dickov - fair enough he has had a ton of financial backing....

There is no harm in having a young manager...dynamism, new ideas, ambition, passion.

Plus the Scots have a good record as managers....Fergie, Moyes, Davies, McLeish to name a few.

Latics fans however will still moan!

What a racist comment, you should not tar everyone with the same brush :wink:

Graeme Sharp <cough>

Edited by singe

I was happy with us being set up defensively last year as long as we could use it as a foundation to build in an attacking strategy for the coming season.

I never understood this opinion. Did Penney tell the fullbacks that if they were good boys and didn't go past half way this season he would give them a pass out every third game next year? Bad tactics are bad tactics, playing them doesn't build anything. Telling attacking players to defend for a year then telling them to attack again is a lost year.

I never understood this opinion. Did Penney tell the fullbacks that if they were good boys and didn't go past half way this season he would give them a pass out every third game next year? Bad tactics are bad tactics, playing them doesn't build anything. Telling attacking players to defend for a year then telling them to attack again is a lost year.

Interesting...yet Black (and Lee too) was a better player for it last season, scored a goal and played one of the best assists I've seen in many a year from a 'Tic! Terrible tactic that...

It was survival football last season from November onwards...and that's what we did...anyway...onwards!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Interesting...yet Black (and Lee too) was a better player for it last season, scored a goal and played one of the best assists I've seen in many a year from a 'Tic! Terrible tactic that...

But the team was :censored: pretty much from the start of the season till the end. I'm not seeing how him finally dragging a couple of players who he had available all season on and them doing OK challenges the view that his ultra-defensive systems were wrong?

But the team was :censored: pretty much from the start of the season till the end. I'm not seeing how him finally dragging a couple of players who he had available all season on and them doing OK challenges the view that his ultra-defensive systems were wrong?

Short, cloudy memories...we weren't that defensive early doors. We just had Parker who couldn't hit a barn door. That Stockport game, we could've had double figures (ok, coulda, woulda, shoulda,) but for first 2 months, we were doing ok with a team that hadn't met one another before. Won our 1st away game in league (that's unusual for us), won 3 in a row in September (5 unbeaten). Yes, there was the horror show vs Hartlepool but generally, the start of the season was nothing like after Abbott went for his Op. Then...as they say, the rest is history. A clouded, murky, unforgiving one.

Short, cloudy memories...we weren't that defensive early doors. We just had Parker who couldn't hit a barn door. That Stockport game, we could've had double figures (ok, coulda, woulda, shoulda,) but for first 2 months, we were doing ok with a team that hadn't met one another before. Won our 1st away game in league (that's unusual for us), won 3 in a row in September (5 unbeaten). Yes, there was the horror show vs Hartlepool but generally, the start of the season was nothing like after Abbott went for his Op. Then...as they say, the rest is history. A clouded, murky, unforgiving one.

I walked away form the Stockport game thinking that if we couldn't score against them we were in for one hell of a long season.

Erm, to echo Mike, you do know that Stockport were crap last season and not scoring against them should be seen as a major fail, especially at home. Kind of undermines your point about short, cloudy memories.

I walked away form the Stockport game thinking that if we couldn't score against them we were in for one hell of a long season.

My season started with two matches.

Latcs 0-0 Stockport

Huddersfield 3-1 Stockport (League Cup)

After seeing them, I posted a summary of the likely end of season outcome for the 3 teams (can't be arsed finding it though):

1) County would have a relegation scrap.

2) Latics would finish midway in the bottom half of the division.

3) Huddersfield would be on the edge of the play-offs but weren't good enough to go up.

I suppose County effectively stopped scrapping in November, so you could argue I was wrong on that one.

But I really do wish I hadn't bothered watching the rest of the season when I could already see what the outcome would be.

Edited by opinions4u

Ehh?? Stockport were :censored:e last season?

Erm, to echo Mike, you do know that Stockport were crap last season and not scoring against them should be seen as a major fail, especially at home. Kind of undermines your point about short, cloudy memories.

Not really...1st game of season, always a lottery of sorts. And we weren't the only ones...it's funny how these "did everything but score" games under a more favourable manager are acceptable but not when it suits...

Football League One Huddersfield 0-0 Stockport 26-09-2009

Football League One Carlisle 0-0 Stockport 23-01-2010

I noticed Udders didn't do too bad last season either...anyway...

Edited by boundaryblue80