New Manager Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hree we are trying to help the lad and all you can do is throw in Philosophy degree finals paper questions... :unsure:

As if it wasn;t enough Rummy trying to park his car on my lawn with his epistemicalogical commentary, now I have another one to deal with

Oh silly me ,

I have upside down dyslexia

has to be the 9th as the board are away in malta monday and tuesday,so wednesday there back will be then i imagine,unless someone wins the lottery over the weekend and makes them an offer they cant refuse,lol

Not sure if that good ship has hit the ice cube yet but Dickov gets the Royle vote:

MEN Article

It's worth reading the bit by Shaun Goater at the bottom.

Edit: Yes its already on the other thread.

If you look at the comments towards the bottom a few say that the younger city lads should come here on loan, this could be a really good move by the TTA with dickov's city contacts

If you look at the comments towards the bottom a few say that the younger city lads should come here on loan, this could be a really good move by the TTA with dickov's city contacts

How about that Young City reserveplayer Robert Inho or something?

grow up please am not ibby ok so please leave me alone my english is ok you can clearly read it.

i said grow up in a good way ok :D

So you haven't posted this on the Chron website?

Gosh reading what Alan Hardy has said he gived us all a hint its Paul Dickov because he got good contacts in football.Alan your a joke bringing in Dickov you have trashed oldham since you joined us and latics fans are still backing you.

Oldham will get no where with Dickov there were better guys out there and we wanted a manager who got skills you plany pot Alan Hardy and the fans who are backing him.

Oh you can all read my english very well.

By Ibby786 @ 04/06/2010 13:04:35

So the jungle drums have changed their tune over the last week or so.

All the "in the knows" and I have a "usually reliable :sauce: within the club" types were telling us last week that Mr Gannon was the chosen one.

Now we have the "worst kept secret" brigade complaining that if a certain Scottish 5'4" ex Council house forward has got the job "why dont the club just announce it" and that the delay shows "what a joke" the club is. Jeepers! What does that make West Ham with the Avram Grant appointment that was an even worse kept secret. Alleged Clandestine meetings in a Manchester restaurant/bar with an ex manager that left on shall we say not the best of terms. WTF.

On another thread, I was asked who I would like and I gave my reasons for preferring Bunn, so it will surprise few that I favour the PD type appointment. You just have to look at my signature to see why.

What would PD bring to the table?

1) For a start passion. Sadly lacking last season, both on the pitch and in the stands.

2) Pride. Pride to wear the shirt. Pride to walk out of the tunnel and perform. Pride to be a professional footballer

3) Professionalism. Just read the comments of Royle, Pearce and Goater in the MEN article

4) Belief. Not just to the players, but also to the fans. He wants the fans to love him. He interacts with them and he is not....... ahem, "shy."

What can he give the team that we lacked last season. I believe he can re-ignite the likes of Taylor and Smalley in particular and think that he can change the style and allow the likes of Furman the freedom to truly express himself. If that happens, then we will make progress next season and thats all I would ask. Progress and entertainment. Oh and lets aim to put a bit of a cup run together. I'm not bothered which cup, FA, League or even the paint drying variety. In fact lets go for it in the JPT. A day out at Wembley would put a spring in all our steps I also think that with his wealth of experience at higher level clubs he can bring in some up and coming stars and instill into them the Pride Passion and Belief that will make them better footballers and which will also benefit us in the short term within the budget available to him.

What are the potential drawbacks?

1) For some it is his lack of experience. I have to say though I am not a great lover of experience at division 3 standard. It "usuallly" means a manager who has failed on more than 1 occassion elsewhere. Once you are on a downward spiral as a manager there is usually no wayback. You can say that the likes of Talbot and Penny came to us after various levels of success at their previous clubs and that they could not have been said to have failed previously and that is a fair point. However, both had been given plenty to spend at their respective clubs and whilst Talbot was then said to have deserted a sinking ship at Rushden, Penny was moved on by Doncaster once they felt they had gone as far as they could under his stewardship. Ronnie Moore had also had success at Rotherham, with his 2nd promotion probably coming on the back of the momentum they had built up, but once Rotherhams fortunes turned that downward spiral was in motion and in truth, he has not achieved anything since. Well, except consistent top half finishes, although yet again this season he has missed the big prize at the last minute. The time it matters most. I have a theory about experience at this level and I cant recall seeing experience work yet at BP.

2) We will lose the discipline we had defensively last season. Whilst it is hard to dispute that we were well "organised" last season, we were also boring. If we concede a few goals more, then so be it. Give me more goals in the oppositions net and I will be a lot happier than keeping clean sheets.

3) He will make mistakes. I say good. He will learn quicker that way. He wont be afraid to make mistakes and neither should he be. It means he is trying things. Working to find the best way forward, working to find ways to improve the team

4) It will/may take time to build us. Again no real problem with this. If it takes 2, 3 or even 4 years to have us challenging then so be it. Progress be it slow and gradual or over night is all most of us are looking for.

One question I would like to pose is when was the last time Latics appointed a young untried manager who DIDN'T have some level of success i.e. promotion or playoffs?

Finally, a few predictions: -

1) The highs and lows of next season will be extreme. By this I mean we will probably get breathtaking victories against the likes of Southampton and Charlton and be depressed when the likes of Rochdale spring a surpise on us, together with the odd hammering here and there.

2) We will finish in the top 10 next season

3) We will have a cup run in at least 1 of the 3 cup competitions

4) PD will either get sent off from the field of play or the touchline before Christmas.

Bring it on. That is if PD is the man unveiled as our new leader next Wednesday. If he is not. Ignore this post :wink:

Ch... No, I'll let him ;)

Broadly agree with that. In any case, none of us know what the bloody hell anyone we get in will do, when it's official it's time to stop trying to prove ourselves right or wrong and just try to actually enjoy being a fan again!