Play-Off Final

Bit gutted (jealous) really. Then again it gives us some hope.

It was a bit of a no-win final for me. I didn't want Cardiff to win but I'm also jealous as hell at what Blackpool have achieved.

Their Championship wage bill was £4.8m, less than 3 times our budget for last season. It just shows what wonders can be worked with the right people in charge.

Their £90m payday is equivalent to: -

6 x Failsworth developments

300,000 x Latics season ticket sales

277 x years of Premier League payments

1,500 x Joe Colbecks (shudder)

Green with envy? You bet!

Blackpool smaller than Oldham..

According to BBC

Blackpool will arguably be the smallest club to have played in the Premier League, but they can now look forward to rubbing shoulders with English football's elite after winning a game whose value is estimated to be £90m

Big club, Little Club

And Brett Ormerod firing the winner. WTF?

The Latics bobbins striker curse proven again.

Edited by singe

It was a bit of a no-win final for me. I didn't want Cardiff to win but I'm also jealous as hell at what Blackpool have achieved.

Their Championship wage bill was £4.8m, less than 3 times our budget for last season. It just shows what wonders can be worked with the right people in charge.

Their £90m payday is equivalent to: -

6 x Failsworth developments

300,000 x Latics season ticket sales

277 x years of Premier League payments

1,500 x Joe Colbecks (shudder)

Green with envy? You bet!

It is interesting, and they will be straight back down.

But I doubt we can get much better than the TTA to invest at the moment, and have not been able to for years.

It is interesting, and they will be straight back down.

But I doubt we can get much better than the TTA to invest at the moment, and have not been able to for years.

Straight back down, but with £30m of prem money for the 1 season and 3 (4?) years of parachute payments at £18m (?); bank the £30m, Bank the first year of £18m, then spend the 2nd years £18m, plus £8m from the bank to get back to the prem.

Still got £40m in the bank after 3 years.(if you don't go up with £26m to spend in the championship, you've still got £40m in the bank, and another £18m to spend, so you can try it again).

Repeat 3 more times, you've spent 4 years in the prem, 4 years consolidating after dropping and 4 years going up to the prem. net result £120m in the bank. Enough to start thinking about attempting to stay in the prem, using £60m from the bank and £30m from your prem money for that year.

Still leaving £60m in the bank to ensure you have a safety net if you don't manage to stay up with £90m

Good luck to them I say.

Blackpool smaller than Oldham..

According to BBC

Blackpool will arguably be the smallest club to have played in the Premier League, but they can now look forward to rubbing shoulders with English football's elite after winning a game whose value is estimated to be £90m

Big club, Little Club

And Brett Ormerod firing the winner. WTF?

The Latics bobbins striker curse proven again.

Yes but Ben Burgess ????? What a carthorse...............slower than Windass !!!!!

Congrats B'pool!

Shows there is still hope to the lower teams with very small budgets! :grin:

Correct.........It doesn't matter how much you spend on players ( within reason ) if they don't perform as a team you'll win nowt.

That is why we must get the right manager at the helm for next season and try and make some real progress on and off the pitch.

I say bo*****s to everyone on this forum who keeps harping on about the good times never coming back.......Blackpool have shown that it is still possible to get to the prem on a low budget.

If the desire is there....you can get wherever you want to be!!!!!

Correct.........It doesn't matter how much you spend on players ( within reason ) if they don't perform as a team you'll win nowt.

That is why we must get the right manager at the helm for next season and try and make some real progress on and off the pitch.

I say bo*****s to everyone on this forum who keeps harping on about the good times never coming back.......Blackpool have shown that it is still possible to get to the prem on a low budget.

If the desire is there....you can get wherever you want to be!!!!!

I pretty much agree but we're saddled with directors whose ambitions are laughable and :censored: manager after :censored: manager.

I pretty much agree but we're saddled with directors whose ambitions are laughable and :censored: manager after :censored: manager.

It makes me laugh that 95% of Scumpool supporters wanted Oyston out only a few years ago saying they had no ambition, but now they realise with no debt and a ground slowly but surely building, they are a small team in a position that 72 other proffesional teams would love to be in.

Mr Belekon will have to hand over the 5 million pound bonus he promised the players at the start of the season for promotion, am i jealous, of course i :censored: am

Harsh comment on the directors. We're a club with no debt to any but TTA who, from what has been said, and actions, they are behind the club but, they will NOT risk the future of the club by attempting to splash out ££££££'s for promotion push. Club with a brand new stadium due to be built (hopefully) no debt, looks better to a prospective buyer than a club with no plans for the future and £££££ in debt.

Majority of clubs in the football league would love to be in our position

You have rather similar stylee to Oldham Scotland Stevie, where are you from.

Oh.

That's a coincidence.

Must be something in the Mars Bars.

Edited by singe

You have rather similar stylee to Oldham Scotland Stevie, where are you from.

Oh.

That's a coincidence.

Must be something in the Mars Bars.

That's pretty crass, Singe. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Surely you're not suggesting we're one and the same?

It makes me laugh that 95% of Scumpool supporters wanted Oyston out only a few years ago saying they had no ambition, but now they realise with no debt and a ground slowly but surely building, they are a small team in a position that 72 other proffesional teams would love to be in.

Mr Belekon will have to hand over the 5 million pound bonus he promised the players at the start of the season for promotion, am i jealous, of course i :censored: am

Reasons for Blackpool's recent success (since 2006-7, when they were promoted to Championship), as I see them (FWIIW):

1) Tightly controlled finance by Karl Oyston, who has a business plan for the club to stay solvent in any league from League 2 upwards.

2) Carefully phased (AKA slow) ground redevelopment - only spend money you've got, never borrow against future incomes (which may not materialise).

3) Use of loan players without tying up money on long-term contracts, and recruit from lower leagues. They managed to attract some real hidden gems - must have good scouting network plus negotiating skills (Hoolahan, Baptiste, Charlie Adam etc). Some good signing using Belekon's money.

4) A succession of good, capable managers who have taken the club to higher levels, starting with Grayson, Parks and now Ollie.

5) Ollie's rapport with players, good tactical nous, attacking formation. Not relying on one or two goalscorers but everyone encouraged to shoot. Quick breaks with diagonal passes, overlapping runs, good finishing.

Defence is their achilles heel, and unless they shore up their back line with some judicious signing in close season, they will be exposed by superior Premier League players. If Evatt, Crainey or Baptiste aren't available, they will struggle. The trouble is, like all promoted clubs, players, clubs and agents will start asking for silly money, and they will have to deal with premadonnas with inflated opinion of their worth, who won't at all like Ollie's protestant work ethic.

Edited by Zorrro

Reasons for Blackpool's recent success (since 2006-7, when they were promoted to Championship), as I see them (FWIIW):

1) Tightly controlled finance by Karl Oyston, who has a business plan for the club to stay solvent in any league from League 2 upwards.

2) Carefully phased (AKA slow) ground redevelopment - only spend money you've got, never borrow against future incomes (which may not materialise).

3) Use of loan players without tying up money on long-term contracts, and recruit from lower leagues. They managed to attract some real hidden gems - must have good scouting network plus negotiating skills (Hoolahan, Baptiste, Charlie Adam etc). Some good signing using Belekon's money.

4) A succession of good, capable managers who have taken the club to higher levels, starting with Grayson, Parks and now Ollie.

5) Ollie's rapport with players, good tactical nous, attacking formation. Not relying on one or two goalscorers but everyone encouraged to shoot. Quick breaks with diagonal passes, overlapping runs, good finishing.

Defence is their achilles heel, and unless they shore up their back line with some judicious signing in close season, they will be exposed by superior Premier League players. If Evatt, Crainey or Baptiste aren't available, they will struggle. The trouble is, like all promoted clubs, players, clubs and agents will start asking for silly money, and they will have to deal with premadonnas with inflated opinion of their worth, who won't at all like Ollie's protestant work ethic.

I agree with your post fully. However it makes me laugh, and you are correct, that we feel a need to highlight the above underlined section.

Christ if forwards don't know to do that we're in real bother - part of the reason that this season we've been in - you've guessed it - real bother!

Harsh comment on the directors. We're a club with no debt to any but TTA who, from what has been said, and actions, they are behind the club but, they will NOT risk the future of the club by attempting to splash out ££££££'s for promotion push. Club with a brand new stadium due to be built (hopefully) no debt, looks better to a prospective buyer than a club with no plans for the future and £££££ in debt.

Majority of clubs in the football league would love to be in our position

Agreed - I simply cannot understand those on this board (and elsewhere) who criticise TTA for their commitment to the club. While I agree that they have made mistakes (demolishing the Lookers, Clayton Arms), and also that they have perhaps been to ready to bow to fans pressure regarding managers - they are doing their best to stabilise the club. In hindsight (great thing that) Penney was a disastrous appointment but at the time he was a reasonable choice for a club like ours.

And to those who say that TTA do not put enough money into the club - wake up and smell the coffee - they are suffering along with many others due to the financial and economic crisis - and if Failsworth seems to be the chosen location for a new stadium then I will (along with all true Latics fans) will be there for the ride.

Oldham are my team - clubs like Blackpool, Doncaster, Scunthorpe amongst others have shown that small town teams can move forward.

Now over to TTA - make the right choice for the new manager and get it right on the pitch - simple really. :wink: