Abbott to Charlton for £75k

Like PlayItLivo, I was a fan of Pawel, but there was a degree of complacency, or a fitness problem, in his game after his injury. Could be one of those players who gives his all for a few months at a new club, then shifts down a few gears when he knows he's a first teamer.

Shame he's gone, but I'm happy that a football decision has been made, am fully in support of PD, and can't wait for the season to start. :chubb:

For people who are annoyed, I suggest looking back at this decision a couple of months down the line, when we will see it in context. If we've had a bad start and we're saying "We're lacking some talent up front", then fair enough.

Edited by Simpo

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't moan at a price no one knows!

I hope we don't miss Abbott's goal too much. A promotion chasing side goes in for our top scorer last season who many fans think isn't that good. Stephens will be the next boo boy.

there was a degree of complacency

Let's assume you were a fully fit Abbott returning to that side last season.

You would get to a point where you would realise that whatever you did, there wasn't going to be another player on the pitch linking up with you.

It would have been soul destroying.

While it can be fairly argued that he should have put a bit more in to it, I can well undersatand why any player in that position couldn't be arsed.

Take away his goals and we would be starting the season in League Two. Let's not forget it.

High earner, never fully fit, misses too many games - though a good footballer at this level, i'm sure paying him a decent wage every week to sit on the physios table could be money well saved or spent elsewhere.

Liked him, but no passengers this season for owd dickov and he would have been one for periods through the season.

High earner, never fully fit, misses too many games - though a good footballer at this level, i'm sure paying him a decent wage every week to sit on the physios table could be money well saved or spent elsewhere.

Liked him, but no passengers this season for owd dickov and he would have been one for periods through the season.

I said after the forum dinner that Abbott wouldn't be here much longer after hearing the style of play Dicky wants to play. Won't be sorry to see him go.

Decent player when the sun is shining and everything is going for him. But on a cold Tuesday night where we need players to roll up their sleeves and put a shift in, he's not what we need.

I said after the forum dinner that Abbott wouldn't be here much longer after hearing the style of play Dicky wants to play. Won't be sorry to see him go.

Decent player when the sun is shining and everything is going for him. But on a cold Tuesday night where we need players to roll up their sleeves and put a shift in, he's not what we need.

You mean a cold tuesday night at home to someone like Brentford where we have less than 3000 at home where he scored 2 only player that showed up that night.

'"We are well blessed for strikers as we have Tom Eaves, Ryan Brooke, Lewis Alessandra, Warren Feeney, Dean Kelly and next week I hope to bring in another striker on loan from a Premier League club.'

How many senior goals have they scored between them? We sign Baxter on loan, say, and the stats don't look much better.

Blackpool throw in a cheeky bid and he scores a hat-trick against a half-@rsed Bolton team in a pre-season friendly and all of a sudden Eaves is the answer, in a lot of peoples eyes. The lad doesn't need the pressure of being our first choice striker yet.

Still think we're going to do alright next season as Dickov will have the team playing attractive football with passion, etc. but I think we've made life harder for ourseleves by getting rid of Abbott.

How many senior goals have they scored between them? We sign Baxter on loan, say, and the stats don't look much better.

Blackpool throw in a cheeky bid and he scores a hat-trick against a half-@rsed Bolton team in a pre-season friendly and all of a sudden Eaves is the answer, in a lot of peoples eyes. The lad doesn't need the pressure of being our first choice striker yet.

Still think we're going to do alright next season as Dickov will have the team playing attractive football with passion, etc. but I think we've made life harder for ourseleves by getting rid of Abbott.

+1

To be brutally honest he is past his best.

If it wasn't for him being on pens last season his scoring record would have looked v poor

I'd have liked to see him stay but i have faith in the manager.

almost +1 i think he scored enough given the way we played and him being rushed back cos we had no options he is a very skillful player, I think he would do well in an attacking lineup like this yr but, if he doesn't fit in i trust in dickov judgment although if the figure is around the 20k mark I'm gutted.

A lot on here is unduly harsh I feel; I for one am sorry to see the guy go. He had to play when unfit last year and it showed at times, but he gave us consistent quality and bagged the goals that kept us up. I'd like to see all these wonder strikers on this board get "only" 13 goals in a season for a time like we had, or see where their records would have been without penalties.

One of the few bright points, played a one man band up front for half the season and did so half fit - despite this he still scored plenty and kept us up. Pawel Abbott I salute you.

Edited by De_La_Vega

A lot on here is unduly harsh I feel; I for one am sorry to see the guy go. He had to play when unfit last year and it showed at times, but he gave us consistent quality and bagged the goals that kept us up. I'd like to see all these wonder strikers on this board get "only" 13 goals in a season for a time like we had, or see where their records would have been without penalties.

One of the few bright points, played a one man band up front for half the season and did so half fit - despite this he still scored plenty and kept us up. Pawel Abbott I salute you.

+ a lot more than 1

He did a job last season but I was never a big fan, he was never going to be a big goal scorer for us. Obviously he was injured a while and played through it alot so can't be hard on the guy, I think he put enough effort in but I'm not overly bothered that he's gone. If we get our 'premierleague' loaned striker then we should be satisfied

He did a job last season but I was never a big fan, he was never going to be a big goal scorer for us. Obviously he was injured a while and played through it alot so can't be hard on the guy, I think he put enough effort in but I'm not overly bothered that he's gone. If we get our 'premierleague' loaned striker then we should be satisfied

exciting times ahead for OAFC

and good luck to Pav, a good move for him, hope all goes well for him in london

I have never got why any club would say a player has been sold for a nominal fee. Nominal fee means a fee well under what the player is worth, why would any club want to advertise they did a shocking bit of business? If it is 20K, sounds like a fire sale.

Pav was the best striker at the club, and if Dickov really didn't want him in the team, surely we could have got market value for him - not a nominal fee.

£75K - Happy

£20K - Pi$$ed

To be fair, Pav's game isn't purely about goalscoring. His hold up play and the way he brings others into the game is as godd as we've had for quite a while, to judge him purely on his goals return is unfair. If you get a striker with decent movement who can read his flicks alongside him then they would be a prolific partnership in this division. Having said that i don't think it's the end of the world if he leaves. He's likely one of the bigger earners and taking into account that getting a fee for him may give us more resilience to accepting bids for Eaves I can live with it. Definitely one of the few players to come out of last season with any credit and one of the reasons we stayed up. Without him holding the ball often completely isolated up front we'd have got stuffed in a number of games by being under constant pressure. Good luck Pav.

It's such a shame, from reading peoples comments on here, that not many people can see the game as acutely as this. Spot on about Abbott's play...however to say it's not the end of the world if it helps us resist bids for Eaves does somewhat nullify what was an excellent post. Had Eaves not done what he did on Tuesday, that comment wouldn't exist. I think Eaves is a great prospect but for now, he's scant consolation for us letting another top scorer disappear on us...one that was never fit and had more to offer! It's a big wage gone...but at what cost? Eaves might get a "growing" pain injury and become another Wolfenden...Abbott's proven. He may not fit into the chase every ball down mode Dickov wants...BUT...you need several ways of playing in this division and Abbott is the O'Grady with goals. And we've let him go.....gutted!

A final thought for the knockers...we would've been playing Bury, Morecambe or Shrewsbury but for Gregan, Stephens AND Abbott last season...a shame we'll never know how good he could've been for us once fit.

It's such a shame, from reading peoples comments on here, that not many people can see the game as acutely as this. Spot on about Abbott's play...however to say it's not the end of the world if it helps us resist bids for Eaves does somewhat nullify what was an excellent post. Had Eaves not done what he did on Tuesday, that comment wouldn't exist. I think Eaves is a great prospect but for now, he's scant consolation for us letting another top scorer disappear on us...one that was never fit and had more to offer! It's a big wage gone...but at what cost? Eaves might get a "growing" pain injury and become another Wolfenden...Abbott's proven. He may not fit into the chase every ball down mode Dickov wants...BUT...you need several ways of playing in this division and Abbott is the O'Grady with goals. And we've let him go.....gutted!

A final thought for the knockers...we would've been playing Bury, Morecambe or Shrewsbury but for Gregan, Stephens AND Abbott last season...a shame we'll never know how good he could've been for us once fit.

well summed up...

was shocked when i heard it,without doubt last seasons goals kept us up,says it all when second top scorer is hazell.

penney got him because he knew what he could do,we didnt see half of it due to injury at the wrong time...after that it was always an uphill struggle as he wasnt allowed to get fully fit....i just hope this premier league loanee is decent,because with just feeney up front and untried strikers it could be a very big gamble....

now lets hope he doesnt come back to haunt us.

well summed up...

was shocked when i heard it,without doubt last seasons goals kept us up,says it all when second top scorer is hazell.

penney got him because he knew what he could do,we didnt see half of it due to injury at the wrong time...after that it was always an uphill struggle as he wasnt allowed to get fully fit....i just hope this premier league loanee is decent,because with just feeney up front and untried strikers it could be a very big gamble....

now lets hope he doesnt come back to haunt us.

dont they always come back and haunt their ex clubs? its like a tradition :grin: :grin:

I have never got why any club would say a player has been sold for a nominal fee. Nominal fee means a fee well under what the player is worth, why would any club want to advertise they did a shocking bit of business? If it is 20K, sounds like a fire sale.

Pav was the best striker at the club, and if Dickov really didn't want him in the team, surely we could have got market value for him - not a nominal fee.

£75K - Happy

£20K - Pi$$ed

+ 1

:disappointed: