most famous goal in our fa cup history?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving on from my cynicism, have you noticed how many players are 'crashing' (excuse the Americanism) the area there as the ball is launched in?

You've got six men in the box by the time the ball crosses the line, from a half-way line hit and hope... would be nice to see that this season.

There is an argument that says that Hughes volley changed the face of English football in much more significant fashion than Oldham's plight.

From our point of view: If that volley didn't go in, I honestly believe we would have beaten Chelsea and won the FA Cup. I also believe we would have had the momentum to avoid relegation, and could be looking back on that day from the position that, say, Bolton are in now.

From the Premiership point of view: If that volley didn't go in, there's every chance Martin Edwards would finally have got his way and sacked Ferguson. That would have heralded a quick demise for United back to the midtable obscurity they endured before Ferguson's appointment. There would have been no decade long domination of the Premiership by United, potentially opening up the opportunity for other clubs to prosper.

From the Premiership point of view: If that volley didn't go in, there's every chance Martin Edwards would finally have got his way and sacked Ferguson. That would have heralded a quick demise for United back to the midtable obscurity they endured before Ferguson's appointment. There would have been no decade long domination of the Premiership by United, potentially opening up the opportunity for other clubs to prosper.

I'm not sure they would of fallen that badly, whether we liked it or not they did have the best team in the country at that point

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I'm not sure they would of fallen that badly, whether we liked it or not they did have the best team in the country at that point

They did, and as Ackey suggests it's all ifs and buts.

However, the only reason United had the strongest team in the league then was Ferguson. Without his drive and direction I just don't think they would have remained as successful for as long.

Whatever United fans think of their current owners, Martin Edwards was an utter imbecile who, had things gone slightly differently, could have destroyed the club.

Edited by garcon

However, the only reason United had the strongest team in the league then was Ferguson. Without his drive and direction I just don't think they would have remained as successful for as long.

Whatever United fans think of their current owners, Martin Edwards was an utter imbecile who, had things gone slightly differently, could have destroyed the club.

If only. :disappointed:

There is an argument that says that Hughes volley changed the face of English football in much more significant fashion than Oldham's plight.

From our point of view: If that volley didn't go in, I honestly believe we would have beaten Chelsea and won the FA Cup. I also believe we would have had the momentum to avoid relegation, and could be looking back on that day from the position that, say, Bolton are in now.

Nah, more like if the mark robins goal hadn't have gone in they would have got rid of fergie, speaking to most united fans i know they consider that goal and the one at forest in the 3rd round that year as the moments when united's fortunes changed, the hughes semi was the year after they won there first premier league i think??

true who knows what might of been but things could of gone worse instead of better

back to the topic, I think our most famous FA Cup goal was Ian Marshalls penalty vs Everton in 1990

Nah, more like if the mark robins goal hadn't have gone in they would have got rid of fergie, speaking to most united fans i know they consider that goal and the one at forest in the 3rd round that year as the moments when united's fortunes changed, the hughes semi was the year after they won there first premier league i think??

I agree. It was our first FA cup semi against Utd that saved Ferguson, not the 1994 one. They went on to beat Palace in the final and never looked back from there. By 1994 Ferguson had become the Messiah at Old Trafford.

They then won the league cup and 1st Div runners up in 1991/2, followed by the Premier league title in 1992/3, and had won the Premier League plus CocaCola cup runners up by the time we played them in the 1994/5 semi.

All Hughes' goal did was break our hearts (As did Sharp's miss from 3 yards :disappointed: ).

I'm not so sure about the United turn of events; Fergie had more than proved himself by 94 and brought their first Premiership home the season before. But spot on about Latics, we were better than Chelsea (doing the double over them too) and the form after that semi-final was what did us. I simply knocked the stuffing right out of us and staying up that season was imperitive, just as the money started to flow. Having said that, I still wouldn't have put it past mssrs Stott and co. to cock everything up, so we may have been relegated a season or two later anyway. In any case, it's something which we'll always wonder.

I'm not so sure about the United turn of events; Fergie had more than proved himself by 94 and brought their first Premiership home the season before. But spot on about Latics, we were better than Chelsea (doing the double over them too) and the form after that semi-final was what did us. I simply knocked the stuffing right out of us and staying up that season was imperitive, just as the money started to flow. Having said that, I still wouldn't have put it past mssrs Stott and co. to cock everything up, so we may have been relegated a season or two later anyway. In any case, it's something which we'll always wonder.

I personally think the failure of Sports Park 2000 had a bigger impact on the club as a whole compared to that Hughes goal

I personally think the failure of Sports Park 2000 had a bigger impact on the club as a whole compared to that Hughes goal

I think the failure to add infrastructure / structure at all has been the biggest factor/failure of the club... Sports Park was certainly part of that...

Garcon points to Bolton... One of the reasons why Bolton are a Premier League side is that stadium and the progress in the structure of their business...

Edited by oafc0000

Those who mention the 1990 semi-final are of course absolutely right - Fergie's position was more precarious then.

But there were still significant factions from fans to Chairman who still wanted him out in '94, despite the success he'd already brought to the club by then.