JPT Trophy

The JPT Trophy - Simple Poll  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics Treat It As A "Go For It" Competition?

• Yes
    • No

I've always thought we should treat it more seriously. Field a strong team and try to get as far as possible. Think of it as a loss leader - if we get to the semis the crowd might actually balance the cost of opening the place up...

And if we get to the final, then it's an exciting, morale boosting trip to the new Wembley.

Definitely take it seriously for me.

1) There is some decent evidence that winners of the trophy use it as a spring board to greater success i.e. promotion

2) Its nice to win things. Our trophy haul is not very impressive, so another one would be nice\

3) If you do get far, then its a day out at the new Wembley - would love it. Also, we would get far more than the hardcore 4-5000 there, some may comeback the following season (helping towards number1?)

4) Not sure on the 'put a team out to' lose tactic, and a winning mentality across the club are that compatible.

Voted no but Scapegoats comment no3 actually makes a lot of sense. Think we should concentrate on the league and try for a run in the FA cup. A TV appearance through that would probably bring in more money than winning the Paint Pot anyway?

Edited by BlueJazzer

Only cup runs have ever brought back the crowds at BP...even under Dowie we only got up to around 6,500 at times. Yes, we had a run in this under Talbot but he was a tool that was taking us down and the cup run never helped the crowd rise...but under a different manager, a cup run could be the springboard. As Scapegoat says, get to Wembley and that will do more for selling ST's than any promotion gimmick the club could offer.

To be fair to past managers though, we've put out strong strength sides in recent years and played like knobs vs the likes of Morecambe, Accy Stanley...so it's maybe the players attitude that needs changing. It's a trip to Wembley...something some of them might never get chance of again. Definitely a go for it...

A TV appearance through that would probably bring in more money than winning the Paint Pot anyway?

Reminds me of a comment a pundit made (might have been Shearer) after Villa decided to 'drop' interest in the UEFA cup in (eventual fruitless) pursuit of 4th spot and champions league football. In years to come when you are telling the grand kids about your career, do you want to say "I finished fourth three times, or say I won the UEFA cup?". Similar story here I feel, do you want to look back and say "Remember the 2010 season when we lost to Chelsea on TV?", or "Do remember our winning visit to Wembley?"

Personally I'd take the later, even it it wasn't as financially rewarding.

Obviously it’s a pretty crap cup due to it being the 4th important challenge in the football season for lower clubs. Were out of the league cup so that’s one cup run we won’t get, the FA Cup could draw us a big tie on TV but it could also get us Charlton away and we get beat in the first round. So this could be the only chance of a getting to Wembley. I was there for the final (Through Johnstones) last season and Carlisle and Southampton had a smashing day out and I wished it was Latics. All the crap Tuesday night games are definatly worth it if you get to Wembley.

It's there to be won. Let's go and win it. At the moment I want to see Oldham play more and more. Better value seeing a full strength playing like they are this season in the paintpot as prices will be lower. Think we should get down and support the team. FA Cup doesn't start until late October for us and we're out of the Carling Cup so let's go for it.

It's there to be won. Let's go and win it. At the moment I want to see Oldham play more and more. Better value seeing a full strength playing like they are this season in the paintpot as prices will be lower. Think we should get down and support the team. FA Cup doesn't start until late October for us and we're out of the Carling Cup so let's go for it.

Unlikely the "bigger" clubs will take it too seriously, so lets win it.

doesnt really matter what we think or want,some want us to go for it,some will want us out of it.

i think dickov will be going for it,he is too competative not too,get as far as we can,and if by some good football,fortune and luck we get to wembly,great day out and payday for the club..

Reminds me of a comment a pundit made (might have been Shearer) after Villa decided to 'drop' interest in the UEFA cup in (eventual fruitless) pursuit of 4th spot and champions league football. In years to come when you are telling the grand kids about your career, do you want to say "I finished fourth three times, or say I won the UEFA cup?". Similar story here I feel, do you want to look back and say "Remember the 2010 season when we lost to Chelsea on TV?", or "Do remember our winning visit to Wembley?"

Personally I'd take the later, even it it wasn't as financially rewarding.

Shearer :lol:

is that the same Shearer who turned a move to United down to play for Newcastle?

we should take the JPT seriously, a trip to Wembley and all the money it would generate - its a no-brainer

In reality, the only cup we will ever win as a league club would be the JPT/LDV/Whatever it will be called at the time. We will never win the FA Cup, and we will never win the League Cup. It's unlikely that we will win this league in the foreseeable future. So, of course we should take this cup seriously.

This is all great, but what if?

What if a player getting sent off or injured in this game is the difference between third or fourth division football next year?

Will it be worth it then if Dale Stephens is going off with a broken leg? Or if he's missing for three games in which we may have picked up a vital extra point? All so we could make a loss in this game and in all likelihood lose some more money and the match in the next round.

As I've mentioned, days out in Wembley happen for two teams in each division every year now, so the day out is still pretty possible in the near future (in theory :wink: ).

Always wanted to go out at the 1st chance.

But after how Penney did it with such convincing style in all 3 cup competitions and having nothing to shout about in the league i'll gladly take a trip out to wembley this season no matter what competition its in.