Stephens signing joy

By the way I am genuinely pleased at this news, I've been trumpeting Dale's qualities since pre-season 2008 when he first arrived. If Penney was still here do we think young Dale would be in the team with Purdie, Holdsorth and Worthington now fit?

I said earlier this summer, we should be building the team around Stephens - encouragingly Furman looks a different player now he's been given license to roam. The acid test of just how good our midfield is (and I reckon it is arguably one of the best if not THE best in this division at the moment) will come on Saturday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way I am genuinely pleased at this news, I've been trumpeting Dale's qualities since pre-season 2008 when he first arrived. If Penney was still here do we think young Dale would be in the team with Purdie, Holdsorth and Worthington now fit?

I said earlier this summer, we should be building the team around Stephens - encouragingly Furman looks a different player now he's been given license to roam. The acid test of just how good our midfield is (and I reckon it is arguably one of the best if not THE best in this division at the moment) will come on Saturday.

And that's without Chris Taylor.

I've been trumpeting Dale's qualities since pre-season 2008 when he first arrived.

You have. IIRC you were also quite keen on Kieron Lee.

I thought there were times on Saturday, particularly in the first half, where we lost control of the midfield battle. I was genuinely worried that we would end up being over-run, but the central pair, perhaps helped by the always available Jones and Alessandra providing outlets, got it together again.

Last season Furman was deep, Stephens was more advanced. This season they seem to be doing both jobs in tandem. Perhaps the Gerrard/Lampard solution is in there somewhere!

Could be the best signing of the season.

Amazing that he has played so few games for us also nice to see that he knows how much he has come on over the past 6 months and that he his repaying the club by signing this contract extension.

Good on you Dale if only more players were like him.

Keep up the impressive start.

Amazing that he has played so few games for us also nice to see that he knows how much he has come on over the past 6 months and that he his repaying the club by signing this contract extension.

Nothing but positive vibes coming from the club at the minute, Dickov and Taggart have all of the players enjoying their football and its showing.

Saturday will be a test on just how far they have come in a very short time and if they do go a goal down then the character and determination thats needed to progress from this dour league.

i was going to say that myself. he is obviously enjoying his football and it shows with his two goals already this season.

I thought there were times on Saturday, particularly in the first half, where we lost control of the midfield battle. I was genuinely worried that we would end up being over-run, but the central pair, perhaps helped by the always available Jones and Alessandra providing outlets, got it together again.

Last season Furman was deep, Stephens was more advanced. This season they seem to be doing both jobs in tandem. Perhaps the Gerrard/Lampard solution is in there somewhere!

I think the midfield really is the strongest area of this team Stephens and Furman showed flashes last season that together they could be a good partnership in the middle. They do complement each other quite well and do seem to have that understanding of one sitting one pushing at any given moment. That said I think that Furman is a sitter more in the Nick Henry mold winning the ball back getting around the park and keeping it simple, whereas Stephens is a dynamic box to box athlete. They complement each other really well and that the most important thing you need combinations allover the pitch to get out of this division and get a balanced team, some people seem to think you need alot of one thing whereas the best sides get the balance right right across the team Look at Leeds last season upfront they had Beckford who played on the last mans shoulder and Becchio who would drop into the hole and be the creator. They had Kilkenny and put in around him ball winners who would win it back and keep it simple.

to be honest, i think our only hope of us seeing this team together for anything longer than this season is to get promotion - playoff failure always ends with teams looking at the suprise package/teams that have done well 'right who've they got then?' and taking them ala wellens, porter etc.

going up would hopefully add weight to players wanting to stay, thats if we have a club next year. If we dont go up then as is the way in football the team will be broken up, then we will really see Dickov's credentials (not implying in any way he isnt the right man, i am all for him hopefully for a long time to come ala joe) in losing good players but replacing them with likewise quality.

Anyway, whatever happens lets just enjoy it for as long as we have these players and we're doing well

KTF

Good things come to those who wait (and weve waited 14 years!)

to be honest, i think our only hope of us seeing this team together for anything longer than this season is to get promotion - playoff failure always ends with teams looking at the suprise package/teams that have done well 'right who've they got then?' and taking them ala wellens, porter etc.

going up would hopefully add weight to players wanting to stay, thats if we have a club next year. If we dont go up then as is the way in football the team will be broken up, then we will really see Dickov's credentials (not implying in any way he isnt the right man, i am all for him hopefully for a long time to come ala joe) in losing good players but replacing them with likewise quality.

Anyway, whatever happens lets just enjoy it for as long as we have these players and we're doing well

KTF

Good things come to those who wait (and weve waited 14 years!)

Get promotion, yeah.

It's only a few months since this team was a bunch of pathetic losers and the worst thing since lemon mousse and HP Sauce. Now we're struggling to hold them together? Who would want most of these players? Dale, Black and Taylor. Other than that we'd get 9/10's of nowt for the rest, and plenty on here think two of those mentioned are crap now and we should take minimal offers.

Jeez, two games beating our rivals in what will probably be six pointers come the end of the season and we're worried about players being cherry-picked.

NB. I confidently predict that we'll lose the odd player to a bigger team, seven or eight will be released and we'll plod on with a brand new team every year whilst fans call for the managers head.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Corker!

When United move in for Dickov, how about Corney to manage the team?!

If he stuck his neck out for Dale Stephens, does that not suggest he is a better spotter of talent and also better manager than John Sheridan.

It is also alleged that Corney signed Furman, which was used as s tick to beat Corney interfering, so that also implies he is a better judge than Dave Penney too.

So yep, good call..

Get promotion, yeah.

It's only a few months since this team was a bunch of pathetic losers and the worst thing since lemon mousse and HP Sauce. Now we're struggling to hold them together? Who would want most of these players? Dale, Black and Taylor. Other than that we'd get 9/10's of nowt for the rest, and plenty on here think two of those mentioned are crap now and we should take minimal offers.

Jeez, two games beating our rivals in what will probably be six pointers come the end of the season and we're worried about players being cherry-picked.

NB. I confidently predict that we'll lose the odd player to a bigger team, seven or eight will be released and we'll plod on with a brand new team every year whilst fans call for the managers head.

What the hell's wrong with lemon mousse?