Big clearout needed

Well we need to get the likes of Jacobson/Worthington/Fleming/lomax/Purdie off the wage books asap really, as none of them feature in dickovs plans and I bet they would be on at least 230k a year between them all

Sad to say, but maybe Gregan too.

The reserves 6-0 thrashing by Burnley tonight shows a big clear out is needed, but who will have them ?

With most of them being on the transfer list, Dickov knew a clear out was needed already thankfully.

As you say its finding clubs daft enough to take them off our hands... we got rid of Colbeck so it can be done!

Well we need to get the likes of Jacobson/Worthington/Fleming/lomax/Purdie off the wage books asap really, as none of them feature in dickovs plans and I bet they would be on at least 230k a year between them all

Has there been any official indication of this, further than them being available for transfer? I do recall Dickov saying that everyone woud get a chance/new broom etc etc think, but don't recall him saying that the transfer-listed payers would definitely not feature. The transfer listing could have been mainly for financial reasons, which the transfer of Tom Eaves may have alleviated. Even at the time I would have been surprised if the manager had realy wanted all six to go, but probably needed to cear wages of say four out of the six.

Has there been any official indication of this, further than them being available for transfer? I do recall Dickov saying that everyone woud get a chance/new broom etc etc think, but don't recall him saying that the transfer-listed payers would definitely not feature. The transfer listing could have been mainly for financial reasons, which the transfer of Tom Eaves may have alleviated. Even at the time I would have been surprised if the manager had realy wanted all six to go, but probably needed to cear wages of say four out of the six.

I think the only one i'd really be bothered about keeping is Purdie as we haven't seen what he can do yet and he came with glowing reports from the Darlo fans. Worthington is just plain garbage. Fleming although would be nice to hold on to as a backup keeper is taking up a wage that could be better spent elsewhere. Jacobson isn't really required with Black and Lee holding down the full back spots and Ruben and Taylor able to slot in if needed. Lomax same as with JJ but probably a little cheaper so the more likely one to keep.

The reserves 6-0 thrashing by Burnley tonight shows a big clear out is needed, but who will have them ?

AT first I was going to give youa :blink: BP I thought you were ont he wind up, and thought Burnelys parachute payments will come in handy, and assumed from previous games the number of Youths in our reserve side thought you were being harsh.

But then I saw our team :shock:

Oldham: Ollerenshaw, Lomax, Jacobson (Tarkowski 76), Worthington, M D Carr, Gregan, Millar, Highdale (M A Carr ht), Smalley (Crompton 76), Taylor, Hughes. Subs: Routledge, Crompton.

Obviously a number of players coming back from injury, so they would not have gone in full throttle.

I suppose you do have to question Ollerenshaw, he has not been able to step up to the plate yet, still he is youing.

FRing and players being aimed to let go were also playing, so you could argue the squad is being trimmed anyway.

But there are a number of Youths,s in there

If you question Gregan, do you therefore question Duxbury?

But this could have been an Oldham first team last season Ollerenshaw, Lomax, Jacobson (Tarkowski 76), Worthington, M D Carr, Gregan, Millar, Highdale (M A Carr ht), Smalley (Crompton 76), Taylor, Hughes. Subs: Routledge, Crompton

And the Burnleyt team was strong

Burnley: Grant, Eckersley (Williams ht), Long, Edgar, Easton, MacDonald, McDonald, Rodriguez (Knowles 75), Fletcher (Wilson 40), King. Subs: McKee, Jackson, Wilson, D Lynch

So questiosn asked, but on balance, the mixture injury treturneess, Youths, strong Prem team last season and aiming to bounce back so no mega reduction in wages, you ahve to hope some lessons will be learnt, but a bit to early to call for a cull.

I was there last night and I can indeed confirm it was pish! Here’s my take:

The defending / marking from set plays was atrocious and the play for large parts was sloppy (and that’s being kind) - but Burnley did field a strong side to be fair.

Of the transfer listed lot on show; for me; only Joe Jacobsen can hold his head up and say he did OK – the others; Lomax & Worthington; well – if there was anyone there to watch them as prospective signings; then they will be looking elsewhere this morning on last nights showings. Lomax played as badly as I’ve seen in a FB play in a long, long time – at fault for 2 or 3 of the goals and countless other mistakes too. Worthington showed that playing like he did; he has no future in a PD midfield unit; he looked disinterested & off the pace; rarely picked a correct pass and generally had the pee taken out of him by their central 2 (an impressive Kevin MacDonald & a youngster King)

El Capitano struggled against the quick Jay Rodriquez (who if is available for loan I would Love; LOVE for us to sign – top player!) – he looks well short of fitness; looks a tad weighty and IMO a good way away from 1st team action. To his credit though; he got the full 90mins in; but was obviously struggling by 2/3rd’s of the way through.

Purdie was due to play but pulled out of the squad at about 6pm – I spoke to him and it was due to a ‘tight & sore groin’ after training on Monday; not related to his injury from last season.

Taylor & Smalley played up front; and whilst they worked hard enough; they were not a threat at all. Smalley was subbed with about 15mins to go; Taylor played the full 90mins.

Youngster wise; Josh was unlucky to be on the end of a 6 goal hiding – he did OK for me; saved a penalty and had 1 or 2 other 1 on 1 saves to make which he did. He could IMO help out his defence by coming for a few more crosses; but there’s something to work with there.

Matty D Carr struggled last night at CB – but again there were flashes that showed he might have something to work with. Highdale played CM and was taken off at HT; if he’s still on trial that will be his last appearance on that showing; there’s no way we should sign him up. Connor Hughes was Purdie’s replacement and he struggled in all honesty. Matty A Carr came on a HT for Highdale and he too struggled to get into the game. The subs, all of them youngsters; had little chance to show or get into the game.

The side looked a million miles away from the performances of the 1st team – it was Penney-esq if you will last night. Whilst the 1st team continue to impress; on that showing; the reserves look on for a struggle this season.

The watching Gerry Taggart will surely have unimpressed with all of them and be reporting back accordingly.

Special mentions to the ref having to go off mid-game with blurred vision (there’s a joke in there somewhere!) & for Burnley’s #7 ‘Macca’ who is without doubt the fattest professional footballer I’ve ever seen; the lad had a pair of 36EE’s! Unbelievable!!

Edited by slystallone

Special mentions to the ref having to go off mid-game with blurred vision (there’s a joke in there somewhere!) & for Burnley’s #7 ‘Macca’ who is without doubt the fattest professional footballer I’ve ever seen; the lad had a pair of 36EE’s! Unbelievable!!

Thats some statement given that Greegs was on the same pitch. :lol:

against the quick Jay Rodriquez (who if is available for loan I would Love; LOVE for us to sign – top player!)

player i believe we tried to sign twice on loan last season via a sweet recommendation :wink:

Won't get him now though as he's going to play a bigger role this season. Played in the ressies to keep him sharp, rather than due to being surplus.

I was there last night and I can indeed confirm it was pish! Here’s my take:

The defending / marking from set plays was atrocious and the play for large parts was sloppy (and that’s being kind) - but Burnley did field a strong side to be fair.

Of the transfer listed lot on show; for me; only Joe Jacobsen can hold his head up and say he did OK – the others; Lomax & Worthington; well – if there was anyone there to watch them as prospective signings; then they will be looking elsewhere this morning on last nights showings. Lomax played as badly as I’ve seen in a FB play in a long, long time – at fault for 2 or 3 of the goals and countless other mistakes too. Worthington showed that playing like he did; he has no future in a PD midfield unit; he looked disinterested & off the pace; rarely picked a correct pass and generally had the pee taken out of him by their central 2 (an impressive Kevin MacDonald & a youngster King)

El Capitano struggled against the quick Jay Rodriquez (who if is available for loan I would Love; LOVE for us to sign – top player!) – he looks well short of fitness; looks a tad weighty and IMO a good way away from 1st team action. To his credit though; he got the full 90mins in; but was obviously struggling by 2/3rd’s of the way through.

Purdie was due to play but pulled out of the squad at about 6pm – I spoke to him and it was due to a ‘tight & sore groin’ after training on Monday; not related to his injury from last season.

Taylor & Smalley played up front; and whilst they worked hard enough; they were not a threat at all. Smalley was subbed with about 15mins to go; Taylor played the full 90mins.

Youngster wise; Josh was unlucky to be on the end of a 6 goal hiding – he did OK for me; saved a penalty and had 1 or 2 other 1 on 1 saves to make which he did. He could IMO help out his defence by coming for a few more crosses; but there’s something to work with there.

Matty D Carr struggled last night at CB – but again there were flashes that showed he might have something to work with. Highdale played CM and was taken off at HT; if he’s still on trial that will be his last appearance on that showing; there’s no way we should sign him up. Connor Hughes was Purdie’s replacement and he struggled in all honesty. Matty A Carr came on a HT for Highdale and he too struggled to get into the game. The subs, all of them youngsters; had little chance to show or get into the game.

The side looked a million miles away from the performances of the 1st team – it was Penney-esq if you will last night. Whilst the 1st team continue to impress; on that showing; the reserves look on for a struggle this season.

The watching Gerry Taggart will surely have unimpressed with all of them and be reporting back accordingly.

You obviously never saw City legend Andy Morrison :grin:

I reckon Worthington will be one of our highest earners to no one will take him off us on the wages he is on. Were stuck with him and he's nearly as crap as lower league Essien (Kalala).

I thought Sheridan or Hill might have plumped for Lomax.

Fleming should stay as our second choice.

Jacobson is probably on a wage higher than what another team wants to pay like Worthy.

Purdie I want to see given a chance.

Edited by oafctom