Latics 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Tounkare late first half, Tounkare early second half, both that he headed wide. Thats just off the top of my head.

It was Mvoto in the Second-Half and i'll give you that but we're talking saves, they're keeper made one save (from Stephens) all game. As I say I don't dispute we dominated, BUT we created very little of real substance.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No we created lots of pot shots, how many saves did their keeper save? How many efforts did we have INSIDE the box??? You were watching a different game mate. WE had loads of possession and momentum but did very little with it.

dont completly agree with you tbh. i think we did create a fair few chances we just didnt take them

Brill - Decent game, good saves, more vocal than i've seen him before. Needs to be a bit more decisive coming off his line though - 7

Lee - Solid performance and has made that position his own. Grows in confidence every game and starting to push forward more - 8

Jarrett - Without an experienced center half next to him, he looks a bit lost. Give him a few more games with hazell/gregan and he could be a decent center back. Got better as the game went on after a shaky start - 6

Mvoto - Looks solid but prone to too many errors of judgment. Probably another who needs to play with someone experienced. Half decent distribution and good in the air, needs to be more of a threat up at corners. - 6

Black - Not enough going forward with a couple of exceptions and caught out a few times at the back. Not his best game but still my preferred left back for the moment - 6

Dikaba - Looked OK, worked hard, got stuck in and tried to play football. Hugged the touchline and made some decent runs that weren't spotted. Final ball let him down too many times but a decent enough effort - 7

Furman - Outstanding, i need say no more - 10

Stephens - Much better than last couple of games. Crossing and some decision making let him down. Probably need to fin a new corner taker - 7

Taylor - Started slowly, got into it around his goal and after half time and disappeared second half. Well worked goal, and some attacking runs down the wing, probably his best for a while but looked shattered after 70 mins. I expected him to come off for jacobson. With another couple of games, we may see the old taylor back. - 7

Tounkare - Worked his socks off and again made some good runs. Held the ball up when he could and some nice flicks which almost paid off. He clearly tries to head the ball to hard instead of letting the pace already on the ball do the work. Should have scored today and probably needs another goal to boost his confidence. I like him though, think he'll have a good season if we can get better service. - 7

Kelly - Like Tounkare - worked hard. His work rate reminds me of Paul Warne but he has more technical ability on the ball. Held it up well, made some cracking runs and had a decent chance which he fluffed. Again, if we can get a better service, i think he'll score goals. Needs a tap in or an instinctive finish to get him his first goal and i think he'll be difficult to stop after that. Reminds me a bit of someone but cant think who - billy sharp maybe? - 8

Edited by Fruitygoo

It was Mvoto in the Second-Half and i'll give you that but we're talking saves, they're keeper made one save (from Stephens) all game. As I say I don't dispute we dominated, BUT we created very little of real substance.

I'll admit I wasn't there, but how can you concede that we missed two sitters (not to mention we scored and hit the bar) and then say we created little of substance? That could be 4-1 right there.

Again, I admit I didn't see it - you may be right. But it seems unlikely?

Brill - Decent game, good saves, more vocal than i've seen him before. Needs to be a bit more decisive coming off his line though - 7

Lee - Solid performance and has made that position his own. Grows in confidence every game and starting to push forward more - 8

Jarrett - Without an experienced center half next to him, he looks a bit lost. Give him a few more games with hazell/gregan and he could be a decent center back. Got better as the game went on after a shaky start - 6

Mvoto - Looks solid but prone to too many errors of judgment. Probably another who needs to play with someone experienced. Half decent distribution and good in the air, needs to be more of a threat up at corners. - 6

Black - Not enough going forward with a couple of exceptions and caught out a few times at the back. Not his best game but still my preferred left back for the moment - 6

Dikaba - Looked OK, worked hard, got stuck in and tried to play football. Hugged the touchline and made some decent runs that weren't spotted. Final ball let him down too many times but a decent enough effort - 7

Furman - Outstanding, i need say no more -

Stephens - Much better than last couple of games. Crossing and some decision making let him down. Probably need to fin a new corner taker - 7

Taylor - Started slowly, got into it around his goal and after half time and disappeared second half. Well worked goal, and some attacking runs down the wing, probably his best for a while but looked shattered after 70 mins. I expected him to come off for jacobson. With another couple of games, we may see the old taylor back. - 7

Tounkare - Worked his socks off and again made some good runs. Held the ball up when he could and some nice flicks which almost paid off. He clearly tries to head the ball to hard instead of letting the pace already on the ball do the work. Should have scored today and probably needs another goal to boost his confidence. I like him though, think he'll have a good season if we can get better service. - 7

Kelly - Like Tounkare - worked hard. His work rate reminds me of Paul Warne but he has more technical ability on the ball. Held it up well, made some cracking runs and had a decent chance which he fluffed. Again, if we can get a better service, i think he'll score goals. Needs a tap in or an instinctive finish to get him his first goal and i think he'll be difficult to stop after that. Reminds me a bit of someone but cant think who - billy sharp maybe? - 8

I fear for that centre-back pairing if it gets an outing at London Road...

I agree with that, someat to work on for sure. There were a few good crosses that weren't attacked. Bristol had the better quality chances however.

A good game spoiled by Bristol's spoiling and timewasting tactics, if the ref had got a grip earlier in the game we would have seen a better result.

I thought Tounkara had a good game and he's developing a nice touch, although he could again have had a hatrick at least he's getting in to scoring positions and with more games under his belt we could have a very good player at this level.

Kelly played well, he holds the ball up and brings others into play but we need him to be more of a threat, Dickov got into the box more in 15 minutes than Kelly all game.

I thought Furman was awesome and MOM by a mile, I really can't believe it's the same player we saw last season!!!!

Stephens was a little better today but needs to release the ball quicker and seems to want too many touches of the ball.

Both fullbacks were decent and Mvoto is improving with every game.

Taylor had a decent game today and when fully fit will be a real handful.......I just wish he'd toughen up as he goes down far too easily.

Once we get the likes of Kelly and Tounkara up to full match fitness we will be OK, I just hope we can stay in touch near the top during the next month.

The entertainment on offer is so much better than last season and even though we have drawn our last two home games I am satisfied with the improvement we have shown.

If Hoskins had played up front for Latics today we would have won the game comfortably!!!!

Frustrating, because we were very average first half, very good the second half.

We don't look like creating stuff in the box, but today we did get more crosses in than the last couple of games. You'd hope the strikers would take a risk and get on the end of it.

Nicely worked goal, and some decent efforts from distance. Need more happening close up though.

When the new lad (25) got taken off, it was the wrong substitution. He'd been finding acres of space on the right and sooner or later would have found a telling cross. Taylor had put in a decent shift but was completely wasted and should have been replaced by Jacobsen.

Tounkare's miss was a shocker, but he's probably our main threat. Great credit to Brill again for a couple of excellent saves.

Furman's the one who made us tick today.

Edited by opinions4u

My first game for over a year today and I think the criticism is very harsh, we were well on top of Bristol for most of the game, you can tell OT is still a kid but theres defiantly a player there.

Can't believe what Dowie said.

Agree about Tounkara he needed Kelly closer to him and as Dean was out wide for most of the game he was in effect ploughing a lone furrow. Get bodies into the box to get on the end of the crosses we're trying to put in and the goals should begin to flow.

Edited by oafcprozac

thought 1st half was awful aside from the goal and tounkara's shocking miss.

2nd half much more like we have seen early this season, more urgency and fight about us, just the final ball seems to be being rushed all the time instead of taking that second and then doing the right thing.

goal aside, thought Taylor was slightly better today but still offers next to no direct attacking threat, better though, hope he improves although even on the right he was cutting inside!! At one point we were counter attacking, he was as usual jogging around in the CB position before ambling up to the attack after the next 3 minutes!

Dikaba showed how to be a winger, granted crossing wasnt great but was WIDE ON THE TOUCHLINE CHRIS!! offering an outlet all the time and stretching them.

Kelly played very well, great touch, control and a football brain. As has been said, needs to get in the box more but until we have wingers who will attack and allow the strikers not to have to drop deep and allow chances to be created we will struggle.

I do think we have lost our attacking edge since Lewi and Jones have been absent, both come wide and are direct towards the box and play the link ups and passes, Taylor and Smalley just dont do it, Dikaba a lot more promising in this aspect.

Better 2nd half but need to get the players closer together more as we showed 2nd half and allow us to build attacks and the forwards to get into the box knowing the midfield is there to support.

Furman and Lee the standouts again for me, both superb.

Still work in progress, but hopefully we can carry the 2nd half on next week.

I know football doesnt work that way but if tranmoore can beat pboro id like to think we can.

Edited by shefflatic

• Dikaba, looked very good, his control and technique are better than what we've got. If he had more pace he'd be very dangerous. Still as it happens his controls and feints managed to get him past their left back on numerous occasions, final ball was a bit hit and miss but I really rate him. Sign him up.

• Tounkara, he is an odd player. He's a big dope and he missed an easy chance from point blank range to put us 2-1 ahead. He also missed a couple of other harder chances with his head. He needs to realise he isn't playing reserve football, he tried too hard to mess around with the ball at his feet and he's not exactly quick footed so their defenders were having none of it. His control is pretty bad but in a couple of fleeting moments he did a nice flick on and a back heel which Kelly didn't read.

• Which bring me onto Kelly. Looks out of his depth, never troubled their defenders, no strength and no pace. Perhaps he's a lethal finisher but he never got into the positions to show it. He tries and he does run but I don't think he'll make the grade. He's still adapting to professional football but he needs to realise this isn't Sunday league, chances don't come on a plate, you have to be clever and work for them, I'd have liked to see him attack the ball in the box more. He came far too deep at times for my liking.

• Taylor, a very good game, the goal and a petulant first 20 minutes of falling on the floor aside he looked very composed on the ball and while he's still not at his best I have to say Taylor today was better than any version of Taylor I saw last season. Maybe he lacked that final bit of confidence to go through the defence when on the edge of the box, but if he builds on today's performance then he could be in a for a very good season.

• Mvoto, a big defender, seems pretty mobile as well, but his football brain is shocking. He didn't use his strength as well as he should and was shown up by Akinde and Hoskins on a few occasions, he played the ball into danger far too often and he was stood in the middle of nowhere many times forcing Black to come over and take his man.

• Jarrett, at fault for their goal, no excuses, terrible for most of the first half and like Mvoto gave the ball away. Second half, couldn't have been more different he looked composed and sharp and didn't faff around with the ball, just got it clear.

• Furman, excellent again, found Dikaba time and time again with that long diagonal ball. He ran around he tackling, he brought the ball down well looking to get us playing on the floor. He's been a revelation in the middle this season.

• Brill, saved us on a few occasions, a very solid a performance which is becoming the norm for a guy a lot of people have their pitchforks out for.

Overall, a game I wanted us desperately to win because of their antics of throwing themselves on the floor. We were on top going into the break and it was quite clear they wanted to stop us coming out and attacking them in the second half with the way they wasted 10 of the first 15 minutes. They had nothing in midfield, their long ball was dangerous because of Mvoto being a liability and Black getting skinned several time for Brill to come to his rescue.

Despite the point, everyone seemed happy at full time, because we were on the front foot for a lot of it. We didn't quite create the amount of chances we perhaps should have for our attackin dominance but the football on the whole is so much better. In retrospect we'll look back and say it's a game we should have won. Brizzle haven't been up to much this season and it showed today, we gifted them a goal. Pleased with the performance and everyone else seemed it too.

Edited by PlayItLivo

• Dikaba, looked very good, his control and technique are better than what we've got. If he had more pace he'd be very dangerous. Still as it happens his controls and feints managed to get him past their left back on numerous occasions, final ball was a bit hit and miss but I really rate him. Sign him up.

• Toounkara, he is an odd player. He's a big dope and he missed an easy chance from point blank range to put us 2-1 ahead. He also missed a couple of other harder chances with his head. He needs to realise he isn't playing reserve football, he tried too hard to mess around with the ball at his feet and he's not wxactly quick footed so their defenders were having none of it. His control is pretty bad but in a couple of fleeting moments he did a nice flick on and a back heel which Kelly didn't read.

• Which bring me onto Kelly. Looks out of his depth, never troubled their defenders, no strength and no pace. Perhaps he's a lethal finisher but he never got into the positions to show it. He tries and he does run but I don't think he'll make the grade. He's still adapting to professional football but he needs to realise this isn't Sunday league, chances don't come on a plate, you have to be clever and work for them, I'd have liked to see him attack the ball in the box more. He came far too deep at times for my liking.

• Taylor, a very good game, the goal and a petulant first 20 minutes of falling on the floor aside he looked very composed on the ball and while he's still not at his best I have to say Taylor today was better than any version of Taylor I saw last season. Maybe he lacked that final bit of confidence to go through the defence when on the edge of the box, but if he builds on today's performance then he could be in a for a very good season.

• Mvoto, a big defender, seems pretty mobile as well, but his football brain is shocking. He didn't use his strength as well as he should and was shown up by Akinde and Hoskins on a few occasions, he played the ball into danger far too often and he was stood in the middle of nowhere many times forcing Black to come over and take his man.

• Jarrett, at fault for their goal, no excuses, terrible for most of the first half and like Mvoto gave the ball away. Second half, couldn't have been more different he looked composed and sharp and didn't faff around with the ball, just got it clear.

• Furman, excellent again, found Dikaba time and time again with that long diagonal ball. He ran around he tackling, he brought the ball down well looking to get us playing on the floor. He's been a revelation in the middle this season.

• Brill, saved us on a few occasions, a very solid a performance which is becoming the norm for a guy a lot of people have their pitchforks out for.

Overall, a game I wanted us desperately to win because of their antics of throwing themselves on the floor. We were on top going into the break and it was quite clear they wanted to stop us coming out and attacking them in the second half with the way they wasted 10 of the first 15 minutes. They had nothing in midfield, their long ball was dangerous because of Mvoto being a liability and Black getting skinned several time for Brill to come to his rescue.

Despite the point, everyone seemed happy at full time, because we were on the front foot for a lot of it. We didn't quite create the amount of chances we perhaps should have for our attackin dominance but the football on the whole is so much better. In retrospect we'll look back and say it's a game we should have won. Brizzle haven't been up to much this season and it showed today, we gifted them a goal. Pleased with the performance and everyone else seemed it too.

Think you and me watched a different game today. Kelly was one of our best players today. Jarrett played well for me and it was Mvoto and brill who were at fault for the goal

Wasn't at the game so won't come down either way on their goal having not seen it. All I will say is that both Iain Dowie and Jeff Stelling said it was an excellent goal and we couldn't do much about it.

Sometimes people are keen to apportion blame for every goal we concede when the opposition have actually just done something that was too good. Will wait and see for it, but off what I've heard blaming M'voto and Brill for the goal was harsh.

Second half we passed to Taylors feet rather than head and he was a very positive influence. Morons take note, a winger whose game is based on dribbling is probably not going to be too great when the ball is lumped 40 yards at his head. Same applies to Smalley.

Kelly all effort, not sure he's got the quality but more than willing to give him a while to prove himself as he gave his all. Dickov must have sown his seed in Ireland as a lad.

The big lad up front needs to work on his heading big time, could be some player as he has very good feet and is strong as they come.

Stephens, free kicks aside I cannot see what the fuss is about. Imagine if Furman was alongside someone who could control the ball at a better rate than 60%.

Over all a very promising performance but lacking a Hughes type to change chances into goals. Lets hope Brooke or Feeney can provide that.

Oh and Furman, what a player he's turned himself into.

Edited by ritchie82

Think you and me watched a different game today. Kelly was one of our best players today. Jarrett played well for me and it was Mvoto and brill who were at fault for the goal

I watched the game where Kelly had one shot on target, where he was constantly out-muscled off the ball and 'aused the opposition defence no problems. We were attacking for long periods of the match, we put plenty of crosses high and low into the box and he was just no where near them. He just had no presence.

As for Brill, I don't see how he was at fault for the goal he came out to offer Mvoto an escape route so he could head the ball back into Brill's hands. Brill didn't anticipate that a guy half the size of Mvoto would muscle him off the ball.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Wasn't at the game so won't come down either way on their goal having not seen it. All I will say is that both Iain Dowie and Jeff Stelling said it was an excellent goal and we couldn't do much about it.

Sometimes people are keen to apportion blame for every goal we concede when the opposition have actually just done something that was too good. Will wait and see for it, but off what I've heard blaming M'voto and Brill for the goal was harsh.

It was a nice finish but easily prevented

U

I watched the game where Kelly had one shot on target, where he was constantly out-muscled off the ball and 'aused the opposition defence no problems. We were attacking for long periods of the match, we put plenty of crosses high and low into the box and he was just no where near them. He just had no presence.

As for Brill, I don't see how he was at fault for the goal he came out to offer Mvoto an escape route so he could head the ball back into Brill's hands. Brill didn't anticipate that a guy half the size of Mvoto would muscle him off the ball.

Brill was in no man's land. Jarrett did what he should have done and got between the forward and the goal and brill should be on the line. Kelly held the ball up well and brought other players Into the game

I thought Tounkare was great apart from the sitter he missed at end of first half. For a big fella he has a nice touch and a few of the little flicks and touches he made would have been ace if the players around him had as fast a brain as he. I think he'll be a quality player in a few years. But that header..... My word!