Latics 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Another quality Dickov moment was when he placed the ball for the keeper for a goal kick because of his constant time wasting and proceeded to call him a pisstaking Tw.t.

When FIFA changed the rule to allow goal kicks to be taken from either side of the goal, rather than the old rule of "whichever side it went out", they did so with the intention of saving time, not giving the goalkeeper an additional opportunity to waste it.

So they should either change the rule back to what it was or tell referees that they are quite within their rights to book a goalkeeper for moving the ball from one side of the goal to the other in order to take a goal-kick.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Mvoto in the Second-Half and i'll give you that but we're talking saves, they're keeper made one save (from Stephens) all game. As I say I don't dispute we dominated, BUT we created very little of real substance.

Mvoto and Tounkare both missed headers early in the second. Mvoto did well with his and was unlucky. Tounkare's wasn't as easy as his one in the first half but I think he should have still done better.

Brill - Some good saves. 8

Lee - got forward well. 7

Jarrett - should have done better for their goal (good finish though) 6

Mvoto - looked shaky early doors. 6

Black - Given the run around in the second half. They definitley targeted him and it worked for them. Felt a bit sorry for the young lad. 5

Dikaba - Hugged the touch line. Looked good on the ball. Crossing was poor. 7

Stepehens - Good from dead balls but otherwise was dissapointing. 6

Furman - Engine in midfield. Played really well. 8

Taylor - Good goal. Looked a threat. Getting there. MoM. 8

Tounkare - Big. Handful. Shocking miss. 6

Kelly - Worked hard. No goal threat though. 6

I thought Jacobsen looked alright when he came on. Dickov just had that one glancing header, but apart from that not much else.

All in all, it was a good game. Shame we didn't win. We deserved to, but at least it was entertaining.

Wasn't there today but listened on Latics player and I've read all of the comments in this thread. I'm confused about the conclusions that people have come to regarding Dikaba's performance.

Everyone agrees that he stuck to the wing, was good on the ball and could beat a man and most who have given points gave him a 6 or 7. But what is the point in all that if when he's made his opportunity, the cross is wasted. If he's going to stick to the wing then his job is to deliver the ball into danger areas, if he isn't doing that then I would have thought a 5 or less would have been more appropriate.

Edited by laticsrblue

Wasn't there today but listened on Latics player and I've read all of the comments in this thread. I'm confused about the conclusions that people have come to regarding Dikaba's performance.

Everyone agrees that he stuck to the wing, was good on the ball and could beat a man and most who have given points gave him a 6 or 7. But what is the point in all that if when he's made his opportunity, the cross is wasted. If he's going to stick to the wing then his job is to deliver the ball into danger areas, if he isn't doing that then I would have thought a 5 or less would have been more appropriate.

i wasnth there either today but i can see what you mean. when he came on on tuesday, he looked pacey and go into good positions but then when we needed a good cross, it wasn't there. if he can get that better in training, we'll have a decent player

He stuck to the touch line but his end product wasn't great. He gave 110% and fought for everything. If he can provide more quality he would be great but Rovers basically left him on his own in the 2nd half and just went to him when he had the ball. The full back didn't seem bothered about marking him at times.

i wasnth there either today but i can see what you mean. when he came on on tuesday, he looked pacey and go into good positions but then when we needed a good cross, it wasn't there. if he can get that better in training, we'll have a decent player

i agree,he played the position but there was no end product,maybe in the future but cant see him replacing jones

• Dikaba, looked very good, his control and technique are better than what we've got. If he had more pace he'd be very dangerous. Still as it happens his controls and feints managed to get him past their left back on numerous occasions, final ball was a bit hit and miss but I really rate him. Sign him up.

• Tounkara, he is an odd player. He's a big dope and he missed an easy chance from point blank range to put us 2-1 ahead. He also missed a couple of other harder chances with his head. He needs to realise he isn't playing reserve football, he tried too hard to mess around with the ball at his feet and he's not exactly quick footed so their defenders were having none of it. His control is pretty bad but in a couple of fleeting moments he did a nice flick on and a back heel which Kelly didn't read.

• Which bring me onto Kelly. Looks out of his depth, never troubled their defenders, no strength and no pace. Perhaps he's a lethal finisher but he never got into the positions to show it. He tries and he does run but I don't think he'll make the grade. He's still adapting to professional football but he needs to realise this isn't Sunday league, chances don't come on a plate, you have to be clever and work for them, I'd have liked to see him attack the ball in the box more. He came far too deep at times for my liking.

• Taylor, a very good game, the goal and a petulant first 20 minutes of falling on the floor aside he looked very composed on the ball and while he's still not at his best I have to say Taylor today was better than any version of Taylor I saw last season. Maybe he lacked that final bit of confidence to go through the defence when on the edge of the box, but if he builds on today's performance then he could be in a for a very good season.

• Mvoto, a big defender, seems pretty mobile as well, but his football brain is shocking. He didn't use his strength as well as he should and was shown up by Akinde and Hoskins on a few occasions, he played the ball into danger far too often and he was stood in the middle of nowhere many times forcing Black to come over and take his man.

• Jarrett, at fault for their goal, no excuses, terrible for most of the first half and like Mvoto gave the ball away. Second half, couldn't have been more different he looked composed and sharp and didn't faff around with the ball, just got it clear.

• Furman, excellent again, found Dikaba time and time again with that long diagonal ball. He ran around he tackling, he brought the ball down well looking to get us playing on the floor. He's been a revelation in the middle this season.

• Brill, saved us on a few occasions, a very solid a performance which is becoming the norm for a guy a lot of people have their pitchforks out for.

Overall, a game I wanted us desperately to win because of their antics of throwing themselves on the floor. We were on top going into the break and it was quite clear they wanted to stop us coming out and attacking them in the second half with the way they wasted 10 of the first 15 minutes. They had nothing in midfield, their long ball was dangerous because of Mvoto being a liability and Black getting skinned several time for Brill to come to his rescue.

Despite the point, everyone seemed happy at full time, because we were on the front foot for a lot of it. We didn't quite create the amount of chances we perhaps should have for our attackin dominance but the football on the whole is so much better. In retrospect we'll look back and say it's a game we should have won. Brizzle haven't been up to much this season and it showed today, we gifted them a goal. Pleased with the performance and everyone else seemed it too.

Firstly, you're being very harsh on Kelly, second league appearance as a professional player? I thought he played very well today and was doing everything attacking wise for us in the first 20-25 minutes.

Secondly, Sorry but i dont think Taylor had a very good game, OK he scored the goal but thats about it. He plays too deep and is often caught out of position when we are attacking, when played on the right wing should have hugged the touch line like rodrigue did, creating a lot of space instead of being caught in the middle with 3-4 players around him.

Another quality Dickov moment was when he placed the ball for the keeper for a goal kick because of his constant time wasting and proceeded to call him a pisstaking Tw.t.

Was that what he called him? :grin: Good on him.

Thought the inexperience showed today. We looked VERY nervy at the back, for all our possession in the second half they looked like they were going to score every time they got forward because we didn't deal with it. I honestly think that if Gregan or Hazell had been playing we would have won; we wouldn't have panicked every time they attacked, which would have let our own attack build up momentum. Not impressed at all with Mvoto; i know he's only a kid and needs the games but i hope letting him get first team experience doesn't keep costing us points.

Same problem with inexperience up front - you can't fault Tounkara and Kelly for effort but they're just lacking that bit of sharpness. Hopefully Feeney might make the difference once he's fully match-fit. I like the look of Kelly, though. He makes a nuisance of himself and for someone who's only just turned professional he isn't lacking in confidence.

Brill - Some good saves today, probably kept us in it after we got caught with the same attack 3 times in the second half. 7

Black - Not at his best, got caught out alot, needs to improve or risk losing his place with others looking to get into the team 4

Lee - Another good performance from him, good last man tackles that if timed wrong could have got him sent off, looking better and better 7

Jarrett - Didn't turn up first half, showed in their goal, should have been an easy header, changed second half and looked alto stronger 6

M'Voto - Not sure about this lad, he gets caught out alot, and alright he can head a ball away, but he hardly ever gets it to a man in blue 5

Taylor - Scored the goal, didn't turn up before it though, the goal gave him some confidence and he then came alive, went back to normal late on 7

Dikaba - Not a midfielder, look alot more comfortable when playing in pre-season, good at getting into space, final ball not there. someone to work with! 6

Furman - Another good performance, ran the midfield and almost always found his man with passes, not thunder goal today, skyed them into the chaddy end! 8

Stephens - Disappointed, didnt turn up again today, not the same player we saw at Tranmere, fired a ~30yard shot onto the chaddy end roof 5

Tounkara - Have to say it, how the hell did he miss it? Bit hit and miss, similar performance to what he put in a Tranmere, not in it at all 5

Kelly - Again i have to say, looks promising, ran the attack for us the first 20-25 minutes, only one that wanted to do anything, someone else to work with 6

----------------------------

Jacobson - Came on after 75 minutes? Crosses were not there, not a midfield player, could possibly push Black for a place if he put in a performance 5

Dickov - Cant really say much about his 10 minutes on the pitch, picked up a typically Dickov style booking, would have loved him to score 5

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Brill - Some good saves today, probably kept us in it after we got caught with the same attack 3 times in the second half. 7

Black - Not at his best, got caught out alot, needs to improve or risk losing his place with others looking to get into the team 4

Lee - Another good performance from him, good last man tackles that if timed wrong could have got him sent off, looking better and better 7

Jarrett - Didn't turn up first half, showed in their goal, should have been an easy header, changed second half and looked alto stronger 6

M'Voto - Not sure about this lad, he gets caught out alot, and alright he can head a ball away, but he hardly ever gets it to a man in blue 5

Taylor - Scored the goal, didn't turn up before it though, the goal gave him some confidence and he then came alive, went back to normal late on 7

Dikaba - Not a midfielder, look alot more comfortable when playing in pre-season, good at getting into space, final ball not there. someone to work with! 6

Furman - Another good performance, ran the midfield and almost always found his man with passes, not thunder goal today, skyed them into the chaddy end! 8

Stephens - Disappointed, didnt turn up again today, not the same player we saw at Tranmere, fired a ~30yard shot onto the chaddy end roof 5

Tounkara - Have to say it, how the hell did he miss it? Bit hit and miss, similar performance to what he put in a Tranmere, not in it at all 5

Kelly - Again i have to say, looks promising, ran the attack for us the first 20-25 minutes, only one that wanted to do anything, someone else to work with 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacobson - Came on after 75 minutes? Crosses were not there, not a midfield player, could possibly push Black for a place if he put in a performance 5

Dickov - Cant really say much about his 10 minutes on the pitch, picked up a typically Dickov style booking, would have loved him to score 5

it'll be a long wait

please come on here and leave a view when you have seen it.

I reckon you could have blamed anyone of 3 of ours and the one certainty was that there was no excellent play on their part, but I accept I know bugger all so feel free to tell me I'm wrong!

Seen it. Excellent goal. If a Latic had scored that we'd have all been purring.

Was gobsmacked when their goal went in but now I've seen it on tv and not from the rochdale road end i have to concede it was an excellent executed finish. Not much you can do with that.

M'voto could have judged his header better.

Jarrett was very slow compared to Hoskins.

I wouldn't blame Brill though - it was a great finish.

Was that what he called him? :grin: Good on him.

Thought the inexperience showed today. We looked VERY nervy at the back, for all our possession in the second half they looked like they were going to score every time they got forward because we didn't deal with it. I honestly think that if Gregan or Hazell had been playing we would have won; we wouldn't have panicked every time they attacked, which would have let our own attack build up momentum. Not impressed at all with Mvoto; i know he's only a kid and needs the games but i hope letting him get first team experience doesn't keep costing us points.

Same problem with inexperience up front - you can't fault Tounkara and Kelly for effort but they're just lacking that bit of sharpness. Hopefully Feeney might make the difference once he's fully match-fit. I like the look of Kelly, though. He makes a nuisance of himself and for someone who's only just turned professional he isn't lacking in confidence.

Hopefully we will have Hazell and Jarrett at the back next weekend - Jones in midfield and Feeney up front.

:wink:

Paul Dickov must be the first substitute I've seen who never had a warm-up, he just stuck his shinpads on and on he went.

Yeah he missed a trick there, as player manager he could have 'warmed up' the full length of the touch-line and therefore relayed instructions whenever and wherever he wanted.

Yeah he missed a trick there, as player manager he could have 'warmed up' the full length of the touch-line and therefore relayed instructions whenever and wherever he wanted.

He would of been better postioned considering most of the action was towards the Chaddy anyway. :grin:

brill was a little too far off his line but for me jarrett should have done better.

Not sure he was.

If he'd stayed rooted to his line and a low hard shot had gone in the corner he'd be at fault for not narrowing the angle.

The height of the lob that beat him was extraordinary and, from the TV pictures, he didn't seem to have wandered that far off his line.

One for the centrebacks this.

Edited by opinions4u

Not sure he was.

If he'd stayed rooted to his line and a low hard shot had gone in the corner he'd be at fault for not narrowing the angle.

The height of the lob that beat him was extraordinary and, from the TV pictures, he didn't seem to have wandered that far off his line.

One for the centrebacks this.

Put it down to a well taken goal, had Hoskins been on Latics side I think they would have won this and the Yeovil game.