Risdale at Latics. 10.10 this morning

It's somewhat surprising that no-one on this thread has really considered the business sense aspect of 'buying' the club.

I don't believe Peter Ridsdale and anything akin to "business sense" have ever been seen in the same room.

Still, at least (based on attendance) he's more of a fan than me and 0000's together... <_<

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rarely-wrong Chron reported less than a week ago:

ATHLETIC have distanced themselves from speculation that Peter Ridsdale is interested in joining the club's board of directors......

Ridsdale is a personal friend of Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy, who told the Chronicle there were "no discussions" taking place regarding his possible investment in Athletic...

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...t-set-to-invest

There you go again D_S letting the facts get in the way of a good old doom and gloom session! :grin:

It's somewhat surprising that no-one on this thread has really considered the business sense aspect of 'buying' the club.

Now I'm no expert and stand to be contradicted, but surely, when someone buys a business the normal expectation is that in return for buying the assets (or goodwill), they have a business plan (which may or may not include further financial investment) that provides for an acceptable financial reward for their money & efforts.

However, in Latics case, I don't believe we have any assets of any value as the stadium is owned by a 3rd party company with loans already secured against it (and rising by the day). So any investor would not only have to pay market value for the stadium but also settle the outstanding loans - a nett result that his investment is immediately worth considerably less than what was paid.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that any investment is totally dependant on cast iron guarantees of a stadium development (BP or Failsworth) and the profit expectancies from that venture exceeding the settlement to the existing landlords and creditors.

Is that a possibility in the current economic climate?

Your guess is as good as mine. :blink:

Well according to Hardy if we build Failsworth we don’t even need anyone to turn up to break even, so an average crowd of say 5,000 should have the profits soaring.

Easy, isn’t it?

Well we're going out of business anyway and we dont own our own ground so what harm can Risdale do - we'll still go bust but can do so after spending irresponsibly for a couple of years. I bet the aquarium sellers of Oldham town are rubbing their hands in anticipation.

nice optimisim there from a "fan"