Southampton tonight

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with everything prozac has said so far! they were a class above tonight Southampton.

Dont wanna be to down on the lads, they still tried to play football after going behind, the opposition were just too good and too on form tonight.

The effort was lacking which is not normal as they all usually bust a gut< dont want to pick anyone out aqs they was all poor but stephens in the last 2 games seems to pull out of challenges and looks lost when the ball comes to him, Tayls needs to park back on the wing he just is not a striker and Black is getting torn apart at left back not wanting to slag but feel ab gutted tonight just cant beleive it!!

Same here just felt we lacked any effort tonight, lazy on the ball and lazy off it, I can take a defeat if I see the effort has been put in but I did not see much tonight

I agree with that, take em for curry and a pint.

Didnt Brian Talbot take the team for a pint after we lost away at Torquay, im pretty sure he did.

Amateur sports psychologists unite :wink: Would make more sense than sending them home to mope, or get :censored:ted on their own after being twatted*

*NB Oldham players, this does not apply to every game

What an an exciting team to watch, passed the ball out to the wingers beautifully, totally found our weak spot - our backs. Unfortunately the better team was Southampton and not us. :disappointed:

They were a lot bigger in statue and muscle, poor Kirk Miller in the end had no chance against that big player of their's who came storming across the field to tackle him. We just had no answer at all.

Did have a couple of scare moments for me, other than the scoreline that is, - Feeney almost scored twice once it was on target. The other well, Amos, you need to shut your legs. It was in exactly the same spot that Brill did the same last season. Good job it was not his debut tonight or Mr Ferguson would have been taking him home after the game as I believe having a little looksey at Southampton .

We were out muscled, out fought, out played and just could not respond at all. Think I will put it down to us being a young team. A harsh lesson in football for us

Southampton, if they have now found there stride they will defo go up and certainly will give UTD a run for there money.

Lets take it on the chin and mover on. I will be interested to see if Stephens and Amos are in the squad for Sat though.

I don't like losing, but Southampton were magnificent.

Strong, skilful and kept it simple too.

The Amos error on the second goal and the Tonk miss on half time would, on another night, have been key moments. Tonight I don't think they made the slightest difference. We would have been mullered anyway.

Amateur sports psychologists unite :wink: Would make more sense than sending them home to mope, or get :censored:ted on their own after being twatted*

If any of us at my place have a :censored: day, our boss makes sure he takes us out for a beer and curry, works a treat for morale

Lost as a team, go out and get inebriated as a team to forget this large blip, move on then go to Plymouth and win as a team! No scapegoats tonight everyone was equally culpable...

I thought Southampton where good, not great.

we made them look better that they are, we gave up at 3-0 and it was like a training session

no midfield, no bottle and no fight tonight and for gods sake Dale Stephens you cant take extra touches every time you receive the :censored:in ball

BAD NIGHT - MOVE ON

6-0 :shock::shock::shock:

For me it all went wrong from the first poor pass by us, then went horribly wrong. Southampton were good - very good actually but 6-0 is not acceptable for any side competing at home in the same division.

Amos - 2nd game here but still can't be letting in a goal like the 2nd and please sort the kicking out! Goals 1,3,4,5&6 not much could have been done. Once 2-0 down it was all over in my eyes and I could not see a come back with a side playing on form like Southampton are.

Black - Why is this man in an Oldham Athletic shirt? He was well and truely targeted tonight and look what happened. I know he's only young but playing him tonight cost us the game, should have stuck Evina at LB and dropped him to the bench.

For me the rest just gave up at half time or just after at 3-0. Tounkara needs a striker with him upfront, Taylor should be on the left wing for me where he can rip a side apart.

Dickov in my opinion dropped a bollock by his tactics tonight. We got lucky against Swindon and things needed changing in the way we play our football, why have we started to hoof the ball?

Southampton were a beast of a side and were fitter, stronger and more organised than us. At half time their subs were doing proper drills, ours were messing about kicking it to each other in a small circle when we should have them practising shots.

Southampton were a beast of a side and were fitter, stronger and more organised than us. At half time their subs were doing proper drills, ours were messing about kicking it to each other in a small circle when we should have them practising shots.

Im glad someone else noticed this too, proper pass and move drills all very structured, and like you said, our lads were just having a mess about.

What ever happened to Dux coming out at half time with the subs?

Sounds like we were just outplayed by a better side tonight....

...that said we seem to be leaking a lot of silly goals recently.

Sounded like Black got torn a new one tonight; for me Evina has to go to left-back on Saturday. Things seemed to be working well in defence when he was there - not sure why this was changed in the first place.

This would also free Taylor up to go into his preferred winger position and get a more natural striker up front.

Think a good beer-up would restore some team spirit, if any has been lost. Perhaps not at the dogs, though....

Sounds like we were just outplayed by a better side tonight....

...that said we seem to be leaking a lot of silly goals recently.

Sounded like Black got torn a new one tonight; for me Evina has to go to left-back on Saturday. Things seemed to be working well in defence when he was there - not sure why this was changed in the first place.

This would also free Taylor up to go into his preferred winger position and get a more natural striker up front.

Think a good beer-up would restore some team spirit, if any has been lost. Perhaps not at the dogs, though....

Id be on the phone to the Indian Ocean, 5 courses for 9.99 and give them tomoz morning off. In that time Black could have sewn his new pipe hole up and Amos could have had 16 hours in traction to help his back..

Think they'll run away with the league head and shoulders above ANYTHING i've seen in this league over the last 14 years...

I agree 100% and said that tonight......... best team I have ever seen at this level.

We were also :censored:e and not at the races hence 0 - 6! :blush:

Hasn't Evina been "torn a new one" at least once this season? And Black? And Winchester and at time Lee? Teams do target certain players, it is how you win games, if a full back is struggling the midfield needs to help out, this is were we have gone wrong, the problem isn't related to just that one player.

We lost to a far better team, better organised, better players, bigger, stronger and more desire. Scapegoating players gets us nowhere, we've got to take it on the chin. The players need to hold their hands up, watch the video to see not only where they went wrong but also how this simple game can and should be played.

Midway through the second half Millar was breaking and one of their lads came pelting back and nicked the ball off him. The game was dead and buried at that point yet the will to do well, play the game properly and the desire not to let us back in was clearly evident.

Haven't read through this thread but I can't even over analyse that too much, We were piss poor, they were better than this division. On that showing I'll be suprised if they don't go up as Champions and do that to a few more teams. Kirk Millar was the only plus point.

Hasn't Evina been "torn a new one" at least once this season? And Black? And Winchester and at time Lee? Teams do target certain players, it is how you win games, if a full back is struggling the midfield needs to help out, this is were we have gone wrong, the problem isn't related to just that one player.

We lost to a far better team, better organised, better players, bigger, stronger and more desire. Scapegoating players gets us nowhere, we've got to take it on the chin. The players need to hold their hands up, watch the video to see not only where they went wrong but also how this simple game can and should be played.

Midway through the second half Millar was breaking and one of their lads came pelting back and nicked the ball off him. The game was dead and buried at that point yet the will to do well, play the game properly and the desire not to let us back in was clearly evident.

I wouldnt say anyone is being made a scapegoat, if you read the posts we are just having a bit of fun.

For flips sake chill yer beef, your acting like we have just been dicked 6.0.

6-0 :shock::shock::shock:

For me it all went wrong from the first poor pass by us, then went horribly wrong. Southampton were good - very good actually but 6-0 is not acceptable for any side competing at home in the same division.

Amos - 2nd game here but still can't be letting in a goal like the 2nd and please sort the kicking out! Goals 1,3,4,5&6 not much could have been done. Once 2-0 down it was all over in my eyes and I could not see a come back with a side playing on form like Southampton are.

Black - Why is this man in an Oldham Athletic shirt? He was well and truely targeted tonight and look what happened. I know he's only young but playing him tonight cost us the game, should have stuck Evina at LB and dropped him to the bench.

For me the rest just gave up at half time or just after at 3-0. Tounkara needs a striker with him upfront, Taylor should be on the left wing for me where he can rip a side apart.

Dickov in my opinion dropped a bollock by his tactics tonight. We got lucky against Swindon and things needed changing in the way we play our football, why have we started to hoof the ball?

Are you for real ?????

Southampton was the best team i have seen in a very long time and we wont see a team better than them this season, they will walk the rest of the season and win the title !

We was scared of them tonight and it seemed a few of our lads only wanted to make friends.

On another note top support from the saints never shut up singing loud as hell !!!!!

sometimes you simply have to hold your hands up and accept it when you get ripped a new one. Perhaps if we'd been right in their faces from the off we might have competed. Instead we opted to ball watch and slip on our arses a lot and not touch the ball before they scored the first. From then on despite a bit of huff and puffing we were outclassed all over the field and tbh given their budget so they should. Still a reet tonking though and this is Dicky's first real test now - sometimes you can be too attacking and I think we'd benefit from bringing Lewi (when fit) and Jones back into the left and right midfield spots just to enable us to tighten up. The strikers need a shake up too, Tonk has been poor imo since the break so let's shake it up a bit just to try and get that impetus back.

I'm a bit worried now, young players' confidence is fragile they'll need picking up and quick because a tonking like tonight could be season changing BUT Southampton are a one-off at this level and a team of giants and you only have to look at their bench.

have to agree..totally out played,out fought,out classed and shown up to be a very young naive mediocre side,and to be honest i dont think saints really got out of first gear....

i said to my son i wouldnt have been bothered if we got battered 7 or 8 tonight as long as we showed some fight,some spirit and above all some pride....none of which we got...

far too many players now looking pedestrian,and im still totally amazed that stephens or tounk havent been dropped to the bench....

without a shadow of a doubt i think southampton are the best team ive seen this season....not even a hello off sir alex could put me in a good mood....he does have an extremely nice motor though,lol

Are you for real ?????

Southampton was the best team i have seen in a very long time and we wont see a team better than them this season, they will walk the rest of the season and win the title !

We was scared of them tonight and it seemed a few of our lads only wanted to make friends.

On another note top support from the saints never shut up singing loud as hell !!!!!

I agree, Southampton were amazing and deserved to win 3-0, not 6-0. We gifted them two easy goals early on from Black and Amos then after half time we come out no different - Dickov's got to be responsible for our attitude 2nd half. Our passing was woeful and if we played like we did tonight against any other team we would have lost, we were just unlucky that Southampton were the opposition tonight!

You can't just get beat and say 'well Southampton were better' because at the end of the day we were at home tonight and people have paid hard earnt money for the players lack of effort in the 2nd period.

I appreciate that the better side won but I'm not happy with how we played anyway and as a paying fan I think Dickov (who has been great so far this season) should give me answers to why we couldn't be arsed to play like a team in the 2nd half.