Southampton tonight

Agree with everything said about S'oton perfomance but got to add that something has gone horribly wrong since Exeter collapse . We have concede 15 goals in 4 games with a toothless Swindon team played in between.

PD has to have a serious think about whats gone wrong with the defence and midfield.

Perhaps get Jacobson back from loan , try Holdsworth at RB and push Lee into midfield.

When Mvoto is fit shove him up front with Tounkare to add a bit more bite and push Taylor on one wing and Evina on the other just crossing at every opportunity for the big 2 to make trouble in the opponents box.

At the start of the season we were making things happen in their box and pushing midfield players up and even the fullbacks.

Now we appear to be going backwards and on too many occasions we only have one player in their box when the ball is crossed.

Got to question bringing on players like Millar and Brooke when you are getting a hammering , what will that do for their confidence.

Yes S'oton are the best side in this league but you shouldn't be losing like this against teams in our league when you are harbouring targets like the play offs.

Great performance by Saints extremely poor one by Latics and unless something is done the same will happen again.

:blush:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Black was playing up against Chamberlin a player who Arsenal are chasing didn't they table a £6million bid?

Best side we have palyed in the 14 years in this division however they may not play that well again all season we may have met them tonight at their peak.

The only thing Dickov could have done differently tonight was go 5 in midfiled 2nd half and just try and stop Southampton playing but even then who did we have on the bench to come in to the middle of midfield and start ball winning?

Edited by GlossopLatic

Southampton a class above and everying else thats already been said. Ignoring that and looking at us, i think Feeney should start the next 5 games with Tounkara and put Taylor back on the wing, he hasn't had a run of starts since recovering from niggling injuries and we need someone to score goals, i think he was trying hard tonight to show that he wants to play and score goals and i think PD should give him the chance.

I actually thought Southampton played the game in a very similar way to the better Latics performances that I've seen this season.

They were just so much better at it though.

I know what you mean by that, and they were good enough to do it for 90 minutes. Never gave us a second on the ball and broke with pace... Looked like they'd score every time they got forward - I predicted 4 at half time but they were ridiculously ruthless in front of goal.

Southampton a class above and everying else thats already been said. Ignoring that and looking at us, i think Feeney should start the next 5 games with Tounkara and put Taylor back on the wing, he hasn't had a run of starts since recovering from niggling injuries and we need someone to score goals, i think he was trying hard tonight to show that he wants to play and score goals and i think PD should give him the chance.

Well we definitely need to try something up front because lately we have looked very gummy.

Agree about Feeney, we're paying him decent money time to give the lad a chance and a run of games.

Team for Plymouth

Amos

Lee

Hazell

Trotman

Evina

Jones

Stephens (Last chance saloon)

Furman

Taylor

Tonk

Feeney

I don't like losing, but Southampton were magnificent.

Strong, skilful and kept it simple too.

The Amos error on the second goal and the Tonk miss on half time would, on another night, have been key moments. Tonight I don't think they made the slightest difference. We would have been mullered anyway.

It got to a point where you could see we were going to get thrashed so you just had to enjoy the football southampton were playing. they knew exactly what they were going to do with the ball when they got it, knew where we were weakest, took advantage and scored some decent goals.

they got their tactics right, but we got ours wrong. rickie lambert got three assists and a goal without 'breaking sweat' as my dad said, if you leave someone of his quality unmarked or with black and lee - both small fullbacks, you're asking for him to put it in the back of the net.

southampton were great, but i think amos was at fault for 3 or four of their goals. the second obviously took away his confidence but he didnt bother saving a couple, especially chaplow's shot.

got to put this one behind us and go and beat plymouth on saturday

I agree, Southampton were amazing and deserved to win 3-0, not 6-0. We gifted them two easy goals early on from Black and Amos then after half time we come out no different - Dickov's got to be responsible for our attitude 2nd half. Our passing was woeful and if we played like we did tonight against any other team we would have lost, we were just unlucky that Southampton were the opposition tonight!

You can't just get beat and say 'well Southampton were better' because at the end of the day we were at home tonight and people have paid hard earnt money for the players lack of effort in the 2nd period.

I appreciate that the better side won but I'm not happy with how we played anyway and as a paying fan I think Dickov (who has been great so far this season) should give me answers to why we couldn't be arsed to play like a team in the 2nd half.

how is dickov responsible for our attitude second half??? i would imagine his half time team talk was very upbeat,if tonks header goes in instead of hitting the post its a different scenario...had the ref blown for the foull on lee amos wouldnt have been nutmegged for a goal...

once the players cross the white line its upto them...you can tell them how you want to play,you can give instruction and cajole them and encourage them,but if they fail to do even the basics right there is little hope....we didnt keep the ball,we didnt up the tempo and go at them,even at 3-0 down id rather get hammered trying and playing for pride than a totally gutless lacklustre showing like that....

I'm not really into the whole Southampton masturbationary feel of this thread. I thought they were big, committed, fit and could pass a ball pretty well. That doesn't excuse our basic defensive errors, constantly giving the ball away and a seemingly distinterested midfield and front line. Past latics teams have beaten far better teams than these during our now tortuous spell in this division.

Bit harsh on Black - he was up against one of the best young up and coming wingers in England.

I could take the 6-0 thrashing, if the team showed some hunger! Soon as Evina got the knock in first half and his head went down, it seemed rest of the team dropped their head. Dropped a bollock by letting Greegs go, he might of been slow, but this was a night when we really needed him - calm head and influential, Rubes just isn't a captain.

Positives from tonight - Taylor showed desire and didnt stop running, looked half decent when he went in to centre mid. Thought Morais should of stayed on - he has the ability to that one small turn and everythings suddenly opened up. Bad game to bring Millar into, the lad needs to hit the gym. Brooke got stuck in and threw himself about abit.

Feeney, well.. I just dont know what to think about him, he's never going to be the goal grabber we want..

Rest Stephens and Tonk for next game - Stephens not looked same since he signed a new contract, Tonk is just shattered and i'm not surprised, played in every game so far, gave his all in them, last few games he's been battered and bruised by some good defenders, needs a rest.

Team for saturday

Amos

Lee

Hazell

Trotman

Black

Taylor

Furman

Jones

Morais

Brooke

Kelly

BBC stats say we had 54% possession........didn't seem like it.

Don't need much of the ball when you can one touch pass it to the 18 yard line a few times! We had more kicks because it took us 3 to control the bloody thing most times.

Still 2 seasons back we lost 5-0 away at Hereford in January. 6-0 to Southampton is progress, right?

:grin:

Edited by ChrisA

Bookies wouldnt give odd's at half time on 5-0 Southampton. Even had the girl phoning up for odd's. Was rather pleased when the 6th went in as i'd of been annoyed how much i'd missed out on otherwise.

Southampton were a class above anything else we've seen this season - that said it still doesnt excuse the fact no professional side should be getting thumped by 6 at home to a team in the same division. It's simply not acceptable.

Basic Basic mistakes yet again - same every single week it seems. Lack of idea, too slow on the counter, no plan b and you could see from the opening five minutes Southampton were bigger, stronger, fitter than us yet nothing was done to combat it till the game was out of reach.

I hope Dean Brill was sat in the stands with a smug grin on his face when that 2nd went in.

You can praise Southampton till your hearts content but the facts are, we were poor tonight. Really poor. Men against boys!

What odd's are Southampton to win the league?

Edited by Rocky_Latic

RE Hartlepool:

Football is a simple game, but you can't play it without the ball. Yesterday, and many other times this season, 80% of the clearances went to Pool players, only for the pressure to be kept on Latics players and Pool's confidence to soar.

Apart from the first fifteen minutes or so, when Pool got the ball they passed it out of trouble and all looked comfortable on the ball.

Latics players never looked that comfortable on the ball and their play looked to come about more by good fortune and rebounds than by skill, with very few putting their foot on the ball to change direction.

A big improvement will be needed tomorrow. Form what I've seen of Dale, their midfielders can play and I will not be surprised if they create more chances than Latics. Dale may be fighting relegation but, if they win tomorrow, they will be only one point behind Latics. :blink:

What is needed is Huddersfield type performances on a consistent basis.

Re Swindon:

Surrendering possession of the ball against Southampton will be a very risky business. We have enough players who can be comfortable on the ball to compete against any team, but persistent underhit or overhit passes, like we see in nearly every game, result in the opposition putting excessive pressure on our defenders and create the need for us to score more than one goal.

Re Keepers:

Amos may well prove to be the missing link, but as I keep saying, every keeper makes mistakes. The secret to helping the keeper retain his confidence is to not get on his back.

Re Southampton:

Nothing more to add.

i knew we would get beat tonight,but 6 0 is a fu*kin disgrace,we seemed :censored: scared from the first whistle,tonight reminded me of the old penney days,leaving early doors with 20mins left to play,6 0 for fu*k sake what a joke :angry::disappointed::ranting:

i knew we would get beat tonight,but 6 0 is a fu*kin disgrace,we seemed :censored: scared from the first whistle,tonight reminded me of the old penney days,leaving early doors with 20mins left to play,6 0 for fu*k sake what a joke :angry::disappointed::ranting:

We'd never have got beat by Penney 6-0.

But you ride bareback, occasionally you fall off the horse.

NB. I hope we play a team of little changes at Plymouth. It'd be crap to watch part timers (or kids) like Kelly and Brooke get turned over when the real team can put a performance up.

I said it at the start of the season. Under Penney we could grind out draws or small losses again better teams, under Dickov we'll have a go at teams, we'll pick up more points generally but there will come the times where we have a go and attack better teams and come off with a hammering, tonight was one of these cases. We can't compare with Southampton's team, 6-0 and 6 different scorers. I left at 3-0 and went pub with a mate, that 3rd goal was exactly what I predicted, we pushed up and went at them which was fair enough but as soon as they broke we had as good as conceded a goal. At 2-0 there was no way back.

Write off tonight, no one's to blame, the best squad in the league came to town and we just couldn't match them, physically/passing/etc.

Boys against men tonight. Don't get disheartened, it happens.

Next game

Edited by PlayItLivo

what made it worse i made my bro go tonight,who only goes to the odd game,he said he will kick the sh*t out of me if i say go and watch the latics this season,we was beat off a top team tonight who i think will win the league this season but 6 0 say no more :blink: :blink:

Southampton were so far ahead of us it wasn't true. I didn't see Fergie in the directors box, (but from the sound of it he was) I did see Didi Harmann, and David Unsworth, who surprisingly enough wasn't in the directors box, both of those left before it was 5-0 (Didi Harmann left at 3-0 I think).

Black got torn a new one by someone who is possibly Premiership quality (now). Lambert tore him a new one in the air more than once too (it took far too long for that to be rectified). They had Lee Barnard on the bench, IIRC he was this divisions top scorer last year and would walk into any other side in the league.

We will play worse than that and win. The only player I wouldn't rate in the Championship for next season would be Jaidi- he is starting to look his age, and quite a few might make it in the Premiership.

As far as I'm concerned we could play at our best and they would still win if they played like that (I can see how Dale beat them, there is just a hint of lazyiness that was there even when it was only 1-0).

One thing I didn't like about them was the fact their goalie seemed virtually insistent on using the same ball, it defeats the object of multi-ball. I'd have booked him before half-time the way he was carrying on (I'd have warned him first though).

Good news for us though, is if they play like that against United they could well win.

Live and learn its how we perform against Plymouth that will the test of this team, including the management.