Where do we go from here?

What do we do now?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be best suited to take the club forward?

• Continue with Failsworth plans for now
    • Look for yet another site within the town
    • Re-Develop Boundary Park (If Possible)
    • Move out of the town for good

Over the past 10/11 years i've been a Latics fan, i have seen many plans for new stadiums knocked back.. Stadium 2000, New stadium on the current site, and now Failsworth.. Now surely there must be somewhere where we can have our stadium, i believe the Roughyeds waited 14 years to find a new stadium but now have quite a bright future at the Whitebank.

There are several options which could take the club forward now..

-Continue ahead with Failsworth

-Look for another site in the town

-Look at old plans for stadiums, get some inspiration from them!

-Move out of the town and tell Oldham council to :censored: off.

Now, that's 4 options i can think of right now, there might be more, suggestions welcome!

Keep the faith fellow blues!

Latics_Fanatic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past 10/11 years i've been a Latics fan, i have seen many plans for new stadiums knocked back.. Stadium 2000, New stadium on the current site, and now Failsworth.. Now surely there must be somewhere where we can have our stadium, i believe the Roughyeds waited 14 years to find a new stadium but now have quite a bright future at the Whitebank.

There are several options which could take the club forward now..

-Continue ahead with Failsworth

-Look for another site in the town

-Look at old plans for stadiums, get some inspiration from them!

-Move out of the town and tell Oldham council to :censored: off.

Now, that's 4 options i can think of right now, there might be more, suggestions welcome!

Keep the faith fellow blues!

Latics_Fanatic

for the fans, redevelop BP. it's our home and with a new stand on the lookers and maybe a new look main stand/chaddy end, it might get the fans back.

but because that would cost too much money that it doesnt look like we have, i'd say we look for a new place to build it, if there is anywhere. but if we do, we need to get all fans on board to outweigh the 100 or so NIMBYs who keep on making sure we don't get a football club in the town.

there's a fifth option too, stay in BP, let the club slowly die and see crowds of 2000 every week

Those voting Redevelop BP = Youa re voting to halve the playing budget, you know a Dave Penney type squad.

Not necessarily. As I've just said in the other thread, the plans to redevelop BP included facilities for additional income streams - hotel, offices, etc etc.

Edited by garcon

Not necessarily. As I've just said in the other thread, the plans to redevelop BP included facilities for additional income streams - hotel, offices, etc etc.

wasnt that going to cost 80 million?

nice to be able to spend other peoples money int it? an that money is no longer there anyway

wasnt that going to cost 80 million?

nice to be able to spend other peoples money int it? an that money is no longer there anyway

I think the whole thing was £80 million, yes - including all the residential development.

I'd advocate a step by step approach as appropriate funds are secured - and ensuring each step included some element that would provide us additional income.

Do a Blackpool and develop Boundary Park once we are in the premier league.

Now I like that idea. Blackpool have redeveloped their ground on a slow and steady basis, one stand at a time over a longer period of time. Just what is wrong with that idea!

I think people need to understand the economy in the UK is shot - for various reasons - and people don't have the spending ability they had in the past. We need to think long term but on a smaller scale. Get the fan base back by playing quality football, and take it one step at a time to redevelop BP.

Lets stay there, tell everyone we are going to redevelop slowly and get back those fans who have gone elsewhere thinking the move to Failsworth was on the cards.

Lets be realistic. What you don't have - don't try and spend for the sake of it!

Cheers - Brian

havent the club said that re-development of BP is NOT an option?

WHY are people still banging on about it?!

its pretty infuriating. If we COULD we WOULD!

why is redeveloping something you own not an option

Edited by oldham59

havent the club said that re-development of BP is NOT an option?

WHY are people still banging on about it?!

its pretty infuriating. If we COULD we WOULD!

The club have said that yes. It doesn't make it an unalterable truth. If certain people at the club continue to insist it isn't an option then maybe they should be replaced by people who can see a way for it to happen.

The only remotely valid reason I've ever seen for taking the redevelopment of BP off the agenda altogether has been the financial hole left in the plans by the property crash and recession - both temporary financial conditions.

Edited by garcon

Now I like that idea. Blackpool have redeveloped their ground on a slow and steady basis, one stand at a time over a longer period of time. Just what is wrong with that idea!

I think people need to understand the economy in the UK is shot - for various reasons - and people don't have the spending ability they had in the past. We need to think long term but on a smaller scale. Get the fan base back by playing quality football, and take it one step at a time to redevelop BP.

Lets stay there, tell everyone we are going to redevelop slowly and get back those fans who have gone elsewhere thinking the move to Failsworth was on the cards.

Lets be realistic. What you don't have - don't try and spend for the sake of it!

Cheers - Brian

That's a good idea in theory but while all this building work is going on you have to have a good product on the pitch and that also costs money....money we don't have!!

Blackpool built their ground on the strength of three promotions, and they have a pretty well off benefactor who has spent a substantial amount on the team over the last few years.

As Simon Corney said the other day..." We will get through this season, I don't know how but we will. "

That tells me if we don't get promotion or serious investment next season we are in serious s***. Our playing budget will be reduced further and as a result the product on the pitch will suffer. The recession is far from over, the ground and facilities are shocking and the fanbase is shrinking by the week.

They have said at this time the re-development of BP is a non starter, the Failsworth plan I believe is doomed to failure and there isn't a suitable alternative site in the borough!!!!

For me there are only 2 alternatives left.....

1. Try to get the Ferney Field farmer back on-side which the board said was the best site in the borough.

There are issues here and there was a problem with the timescale of the project being to long although if the Failsworth plan were to still happen I reckon the planning process could go on for a fair few years yet!

A prison was also rumoured to be built on the site, however if the residents had a choice between a prison and a football stadium there would be no contest.

2. Move out of the borough. I'm sure Tameside would welcome us with open arms and if a move there were to safeguard the future of the club it has to be considered.

All those asking to re-develop BP,

1. Selling the land finances the new ground- New Ground, New facilities, new business streams = Future of Latics!

2. What do you think the chances are of getting any sort of planning permission with the Bungalow dwellers in the area - None I'm afraid lets face it, I'm gutted I live 2 minutes walk from BP!!!

I'd like the council to give us some prime land for nothing in recompence for their huge cock up. Where I'm not sure but there must be land available thats prime for us to build on.

Edited by ShakerT

Why do they need 30 acres ?... needs must and a smaller site about half that size should be found asp IMO.

Redevelopment of BP is not an option if the owner(s) want to make any return or even any money back on their investment short term which was ideally their plan. For Latics redevelopment would possibly be viable if money was there and people involved were happy to wait long-term to turn any profit but that is highly unlikely with the ideal outcome the club being self sustainable.

With the funds/investment available from the people willing to put the dosh in BP just isn't a runner unfortunately. Unless someone with a wedge is happy to turn that into reality we are more than likely on the move.

That's a good idea in theory but while all this building work is going on you have to have a good product on the pitch and that also costs money....money we don't have!!

Blackpool built their ground on the strength of three promotions, and they have a pretty well off benefactor who has spent a substantial amount on the team over the last few years.

As Simon Corney said the other day..." We will get through this season, I don't know how but we will. "

That tells me if we don't get promotion or serious investment next season we are in serious s***. Our playing budget will be reduced further and as a result the product on the pitch will suffer. The recession is far from over, the ground and facilities are shocking and the fanbase is shrinking by the week.

They have said at this time the re-development of BP is a non starter, the Failsworth plan I believe is doomed to failure and there isn't a suitable alternative site in the borough!!!!

For me there are only 2 alternatives left.....

1. Try to get the Ferney Field farmer back on-side which the board said was the best site in the borough.

There are issues here and there was a problem with the timescale of the project being to long although if the Failsworth plan were to still happen I reckon the planning process could go on for a fair few years yet!

A prison was also rumoured to be built on the site, however if the residents had a choice between a prison and a football stadium there would be no contest.

2. Move out of the borough. I'm sure Tameside would welcome us with open arms and if a move there were to safeguard the future of the club it has to be considered.

Option 3. Ground share with Rochdale (I can see this happening in 3 years time).

The club have said that yes. It doesn't make it an unalterable truth. If certain people at the club continue to insist it isn't an option then maybe they should be replaced by people who can see a way for it to happen.

The only remotely valid reason I've ever seen for taking the redevelopment of BP off the agenda altogether has been the financial hole left in the plans by the property crash and recession - both temporary financial conditions.

For the club and owners to be resolute in their "NO" to redeveloping BP hints, to me, towards an irreversible deal on the land. I would like Barry Owen or Alan Hardy to help out here but I suspect there may be some confidentiality agreement in place. The information we are being denied could be an extremely "bitter pill" to swallow.

For the club and owners to be resolute in their "NO" to redeveloping BP hints, to me, towards an irreversible deal on the land. I would like Barry Owen or Alan Hardy to help out here but I suspect there may be some confidentiality agreement in place. The information we are being denied could be an extremely "bitter pill" to swallow.

That is the scenario I fear - it would see us groundsharing within three years and on a slippery slope into oblivion waiting hopelessly for a knight in shining armour with a few tens of millions in hard cash to waste.

That is the scenario I fear - it would see us groundsharing within three years and on a slippery slope into oblivion waiting hopelessly for a knight in shining armour with a few tens of millions in hard cash to waste.

A ground share could be a positive... If it was two teams coming together to build a new stadium... Rather than us just renting spotland which WOULD be a disaster...