Radical thoughts for a new stadium

Saw this post on the Oldham e-zine.

Think this is a great idea.

Since tesco left stakehill that estate has almost died but you still have the manchester postcode argument.

I would be rally radical.

Groundshare with Rochdale on a new ground at Queensway with a 4G surface installed.

You might lose FA Cup home games for a few years but if it is good enough for UEFA it should be good enouh for the FA.

Rochdale hornets can take over Spotland.

Plenty of room at Queensway lots of parking - even Metrolink on the doorstep.

Latics at one time under Ian Stott lead the way for english football.

One of the first with undersoil heating, the original plastic pitch, even the animated scoreboard was one of the most up to date in the country. Time to think outside the box again.

We have been going over the same tried & tested but they have failed.

As the chap says - outside the box thinking.

To be fair, the 365 day revenue stream, and building houses was fairly radical at the time.

The trouble is that other clubs have actually ben able to do this since then, we just have not been able to build a brick.

But agree its time to be innovative again.

To be fair, the 365 day revenue stream, and building houses was fairly radical at the time.

The trouble is that other clubs have actually ben able to do this since then, we just have not been able to build a brick.

But agree its time to be innovative again.

Its bang on the motorway network, no neighbours to speak of. Both teams would end up with a new stadium. There a almost no hotels in the area.

Lets go one step further a retractable roof.

OK competition time, who can come up with the most radical idea for the current plight.

What does BP need, that can fit in a small space, not cost big bucks up front investment (Well £0 !)

I am not up to date on Oldham needs, but of the top of head:

Cinema

Tesco

Bowling

Offices, maybe the rent by the hour ones

Hotel

Not only leisure though

Since tesco left stakehill that estate has almost died but you still have the manchester postcode argument.

Groundshare with Rochdale on a new ground at Queensway with a 4G surface installed.

You might lose FA Cup home games for a few years but if it is good enough for UEFA it should be good enouh for the FA.

One of the first with undersoil heating, the original plastic pitch, even the animated scoreboard was one of the most up to date in the country. Time to think outside the box again.

I like the idea but one flaw we'd be paying for it from the sale of Boundary Park, but what and how would Rochdale be contributing? Would the FA allow this?

OK competition time, who can come up with the most radical idea for the current plight.

What does BP need, that can fit in a small space, not cost big bucks up front investment (Well £0 !)

I am not up to date on Oldham needs, but of the top of head:

Cinema

Tesco

Bowling

Offices, maybe the rent by the hour ones

Hotel

Not only leisure though

Cinema - there are two large modern multiscreens within 5 miles of the town centre, both with Oldham postcodes for what it's worth.

Tesco - I know of 4, 5 including the petrol station.

Bowling - there's one within 5 miles of the town centre, again with an Oldham postcode. Given we're not in America this strikes me as adequate, Dude.

Offices - there are countless vacant offices, and more on the horizon.

Hotel - those that still live at home and don't like doing it in the car are catered for. Perhaps Oldham needs a 5* golf and spa resort.

Nothing constructive to say I'm afraid. My mother would have advocated not saying anything at all. ^_^

Cinema - there are two large modern multiscreens within 5 miles of the town centre, both with Oldham postcodes for what it's worth.

Tesco - I know of 4, 5 including the petrol station.

Bowling - there's one within 5 miles of the town centre, again with an Oldham postcode. Given we're not in America this strikes me as adequate, Dude.

Offices - there are countless vacant offices, and more on the horizon.

Hotel - those that still live at home and don't like doing it in the car are catered for. Perhaps Oldham needs a 5* golf and spa resort.

Nothing constructive to say I'm afraid. My mother would have advocated not saying anything at all. ^_^

Is the rea flicking the V's smiley!

Why on earth would Rochdale entertain the idea of leaving Spotland?

thank you, there is no reason whatsoever that we will leave Spotland as basically we dont really need to do so. We dont need a bigger stadium until we reach the Prem League and I can hardly see that happening with our attendances

tescos warehouse at stakehill was fairly near the front of the estate....the rest of the estate is very well populated with other major retailers and various other companies,and is very far from dying off...

greengate area is oldham postcode i do believe and is massive.....has a good road network around it and even backs onto the manchester to rochdale train line,so in theory a stop could incorporated in to make it easier to get to....dont think many would be opposed to moving there....

again the delapidated alexandra retail area is still unused and quite big..you would deffo get a stdium on it.....other things could be incorporated....if you cant go sideways whats wrong with going upwards....or below ground for that matter.....again its on the new metro link line and i am pretty certain you could incorporate a linkway to the town centre area....

tescos warehouse at stakehill was fairly near the front of the estate....the rest of the estate is very well populated with other major retailers and various other companies,and is very far from dying off...

greengate area is oldham postcode i do believe and is massive.....has a good road network around it and even backs onto the manchester to rochdale train line,so in theory a stop could incorporated in to make it easier to get to....dont think many would be opposed to moving there....

again the delapidated alexandra retail area is still unused and quite big..you would deffo get a stdium on it.....other things could be incorporated....if you cant go sideways whats wrong with going upwards....or below ground for that matter.....again its on the new metro link line and i am pretty certain you could incorporate a linkway to the town centre area....

Tescos have gone, Sainsburys have gone M&S have gone - at least 50% of the space on that estate is empty.

Tescos have gone, Sainsburys have gone M&S have gone - at least 50% of the space on that estate is empty.

ok...but if those 3 companies have gone,then it wouldnt be viable unless they was all side by side or in very close proximity to each other....you would then have the demolition cost and ground preperation cost,easy if all lined up side by side but expensive...

i fully understand what you are saying....and its very close proximity to the a627m would make it ideal,and its also far enough from rochdale footy club to impeach on there fanbase and identity....and i think this site as well as maybe greengate would be ideal...depends how true to word mr corney is about upping sticks and hitting ombc where it hurts...

how about we:

Scrap that sodding diabolic excuse of a championship golf course next to the council estate in Derker thats been 20 yrs in the making without a golf club being swung

Relocate to Salmon fields and moved the other business out as there can't be that many there now.

However its more dosh to spend and I think our owner has had enough

Rochdale FC might move. When the Hornets went into administration a few years ago Dale offered to help them out by buying their half of the stadium. The Hornets refused to sell because Dale might kick them out (which was probably the plan) Hornets eventually sold their share of the stadium to the rugby football league . Rochdale council and Dale protested but when looking at the original contract for the ground, it was not legally binding because someone in the council got dropped a b*****k when drawing up the contract thus Dale own 45% of a ground, that they cannot expand, build on or secure a loan on. Long term it is no more financial viable for them to stay at Spotland as it is for us to stay at BP. I think their heads could be turned by extra revenue from cinemas, hotels, plastic pitches etc.

Interesting - first underground football stadium. Why the :censored: not! :grin: