116 years of football in Oldham

How many years have you been a Latics fan??  

208 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been going to games?

• 0-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-20 years
    • 21-30 years
    • 30 years +
    • 40 years +
    • 50 years +
    • Over 60 years?

swept away, due to incompetence from BOTH sides. As we approach what seemingly is the end game for club and fans - despite what the board says, we know ground sharing outside the borough will kill the club.

How long have you been a fan?

Edited by oafcprozac

swept away, due to incompetence from BOTH sides. As we approach what seemingly is the end game for club and fans - despite what the board says, we know ground sharing outside the borough will kill the club.

How long have you been a fan?

I had to have a little think about that one, but the sad, sad fact is that it's more than 30 years for me. That's not a boast. I'm just getting old and I hadn't realised it. Soon I'll be one of those sad old gits who says, "I've going to games for 50 years and I've never seen a refereeing decision / goal / miss / foul like that one."

Present company and all that.

November 22nd 1986 v Palace as a 9 year old……it was cold…..i'm going to miss the BP chill…..

3 year old, 1986, Leeds Good Friday think we won 4-1. Only remember the car driving round the pitch at half time and the Lady in a bikini that waved from it.

Regulary from the age of 9/10

1949/50. I was 5 years old and I think it may have been Accrington Stanley or Workington. I know they wore red anyway but it's a long time ago. Sadly, I don't get there as often now.

As an aside, how about we actually carry on supporting the club, the players, the manager and everyone else involved at Latics, irrespective of where we end up playing, rather than getting involved in a blame culture. The club needs us more than ever now, so deserting them if we have to make a move that isn't popular simply hammers one or two more nails in the coffin.

From my point of view, when I travel up from Bristol, I will continue to support the team from the town I was born in and supported all these years, whether they're at BP, Bower Fold, Gigg Lane, Spotland, Tandle Hill or British West Hartlepool. Why? Because, although I'll be sad to see them leave the spiritual home, I love the club and will never, ever desert them.

1949/50. I was 5 years old and I think it may have been Accrington Stanley or Workington. I know they wore red anyway but it's a long time ago. Sadly, I don't get there as often now.

As an aside, how about we actually carry on supporting the club, the players, the manager and everyone else involved at Latics, irrespective of where we end up playing, rather than getting involved in a blame culture. The club needs us more than ever now, so deserting them if we have to make a move that isn't popular simply hammers one or two more nails in the coffin.

From my point of view, when I travel up from Bristol, I will continue to support the team from the town I was born in and supported all these years, whether they're at BP, Bower Fold, Gigg Lane, Spotland, Tandle Hill or British West Hartlepool. Why? Because, although I'll be sad to see them leave the spiritual home, I love the club and will never, ever desert them.

if we/they do a Franchise FC kind of deal :unsure: ...I doubt i'd have the motivation to travel wherever it is we/they end up playing or to away matches...

we know ground sharing outside the borough will kill the club.

do we?

who decided this?

i don't want to ground share, i don't want to leave the borough of Oldham

but it won't necessarily kill the club

i'd rather groundshare than have no OAFC at all

(32 years since my first game by the way)

Edited by HarryBosch

As just posted in the which groundshare thread, I'm afraid moving out of Oldham (ground sharing or not) will effectively kill the club.

There may be a significant minority - perhaps mostly those who themselves have moved out of Oldham - who would follow the club wherever it went. But the simple truth is that by far the majority will not. If we have a future outside Oldham at all it will be non-league, in front of no more than a thousand ... and why would anyone bother with that instead of simply going to one of the established NW non-league clubs?

1-1 draw with Watford. January 1981. Didn't go again till I was about 15 and started going with schoolmates. So officially 30 years, but realistically only about 25 years.... I could have had a couple of ferraris with that cash!

Edited by BlueJazzer

vs Spuds, couldn't tell you the year but I was 'stood' on the rocky terracing, so what's that 1991?? god knows, but spent the whole game not being able to see as i was knee high to a grasshopper, and sum copper felt sorry for me so passed some jelly babies through the metal fence for me to munch on :grin: and before anyone says it, (awaits Peter File jokes) :lol:

didnt enjoy it anyway because i couldn;t see so didnt go back until we were in what was Div 1 (Championship), actually probably Charlton 1st game of the season when we won 5-2, super Sean Mccarthy brace?? saw a couple of years in that div and then been stuck in this god damn awful division ever since, oh how i'd love a promotion B)

Edited by alex_balls

vs Spuds, couldn't tell you the year but I was 'stood' on the rocky terracing, so what's that 1991?? god knows, but spent the whole game not being able to see as i was knee high to a grasshopper, and sum copper felt sorry for me so passed some jelly babies through the metal fence for me to munch on :grin: and before anyone says it, (awaits Peter File jokes) :lol:

didnt enjoy it anyway because i couldn;t see so didnt go back until we were in what was Div 1 (Championship), actually probably Charlton 1st game of the season when we won 5-2, super Sean Mccarthy brace?? saw a couple of years in that div and then been stuck in this god damn awful division ever since, oh how i'd love a promotion B)

13/08/94

Oldham Athletic. . . . . . . 5

McCarthy 24, 57, Richardson 41, 70, Sharp 68

Charlton Athletic. . . . . . 2

Whyte14, Robinson 27

Attendance: 8,924

Top game that :grin:

As just posted in the which groundshare thread, I'm afraid moving out of Oldham (ground sharing or not) will effectively kill the club.

There may be a significant minority - perhaps mostly those who themselves have moved out of Oldham - who would follow the club wherever it went. But the simple truth is that by far the majority will not. If we have a future outside Oldham at all it will be non-league, in front of no more than a thousand ... and why would anyone bother with that instead of simply going to one of the established NW non-league clubs?

too many opinions being passed off as FACT on here lately

too many opinions being passed off as FACT on here lately

I guess so, but looking at, say Rotherham, who have to return to Rotherham - their crowds have gone down by about a thousand (if you average their last two and first two seasons).

I don't think a majority would give up the ghost - but I'd be expecting a similar loss on our crowds if we play at, say, Rochdale.

Did i miss something? What dramatic event has happened since yesterday that suddenly has so many people sure the club is going down the :censored:ter? Yesterday people were thinking up solutions, ways we could fight back, not acting like bitches.......

"The world ends when you're dead, until then you got more punishment in store, stand it like a man and give some back."

Did i miss something? What dramatic event has happened since yesterday that suddenly has so many people sure the club is going down the :censored:ter? Yesterday people were thinking up solutions, ways we could fight back, not acting like bitches.......

"The world ends when you're dead, until then you got more punishment in store, stand it like a man and give some back."

well said

I never realised there were so many old bastards on this forum...

:getmecoat:

(22 years or so for me, more like 35 if I include the odd game my Dad brought me to as a youn 'un).

hahahah....plenty of old timers on here

first game i was 5 so thats 1972.....but i do believe my mum went to watch a game when she was pregnant with me..