Goodbye, my dear friend

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some will say very harsh words there....but i and a lot will agree with you....

cant be doing with the self pity and the woe is me card......you either support your club through thick and thin or you dont.....but you can never turn your back,and deem your last ever game as away at huddersfield....bp is our historical ground,if i ever have to watch a last game thats where it would be....the club needs its fans more than ever now..but there ya go.

Too right - I hope that very few agree with the 'goodbye my dear friend' sentiment - now is the time to stand up and be counted and stand by the club - whatever the outcome.

Edited by TheBigDog

Read about this far and thought spot on! You don't have an opinion...YOU are the sort who have created our future. As bad as the Red/Blue Manc-loving pub watching fan. You were one of the most vocal and disruptive influences back when the club finally turned a corner after 2003...after succeeding in staying up when we looked destined to go down, you and your pals creating a nasty atmosphere about the club when things were improving, you then skulked away and became a stayaway.

Your opinion is worth :censored:...you won't be on your own though...you "got your club back" and then you deserted it...Many others followed your lead...I give you the "spineless Latic"...thanks for being part of our demise!!!

Harsh...and yet somehow both fair and necessary.

Two people got a slightly too high sense of their own importance from what they did after the post-Moore events. One is called Barry Owen. The other is called Derek Wilson. No wonder they couldn't get along with each other.

I should not really be drawn Leeslover but cannot resist on this occasion. Strange comment from someone who was the self appointed guru coming into the club to check the books and report according. Nothing like assuming some importance.

At least Derek Wilson at one stage got off his backside and did some work for the Trust. He did not rely on working from behind a keyboard. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of his book and commit yourself to some worthwhile work that helps the club.

We may have our diferences of opinion, but Derek has done his bit in the past few years and whilst it may disappoint you we do get on really. We say it how it is and do not have any hidden agenda as some have. Some put grievances to one side after a while whilst others allow themselves to continue an hatred because something did not quite go their way in the past.

At least Derek knows me and forms his opinion accordingly. You do not know me and have no detailed knowledge of me other than your bigoted views. Seems you hold some grudge which you may want to share with everybody.

And before anyone slates me, I do have a right of reply in defence of myself.

Barry

I should not really be drawn Leeslover but cannot resist on this occasion. Strange comment from someone who was the self appointed guru coming into the club to check the books and report according. Nothing like assuming some importance.

At least Derek Wilson at one stage got off his backside and did some work for the Trust. He did not rely on working from behind a keyboard. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of his book and commit yourself to some worthwhile work that helps the club.

We may have our diferences of opinion, but Derek has done his bit in the past few years and whilst it may disappoint you we do get on really. We say it how it is and do not have any hidden agenda as some have. Some put grievances to one side after a while whilst others allow themselves to continue an hatred because something did not quite go their way in the past.

At least Derek knows me and forms his opinion accordingly. You do not know me and have no detailed knowledge of me other than your bigoted views. Seems you hold some grudge which you may want to share with everybody.

And before anyone slates me, I do have a right of reply in defence of myself.

Barry

Well, Bazza, I wasn't trying to draw you, I was pointing out what a fool Deggsy is. I'd even, I thought, been quite restrained the last time you put your foot in your mouth. However, if you want it:

It was Simon Corney who made the offer for fans to come and look at the books, on several occasions. I took this offer up after discussing the terms of it with Simon, teaming up with a Chartered Accountant (Latics and England) who is well known to fans home and away, as I knew that I didn't know enough to do the job properly on my own. I think most people appreciated the effort. I remember that Alan asked you if you wanted to join in the meeting as you were walking past it, I couldn't see you but I heard some sort of deep grunting noise which I think we all took to be a negative.

I am aware that you feel threatened by fans getting answers to questions which you should be answering yourself, but please, blame yourself, not me. I do wonder who it was that raised some insane question about me being anti-Semitic on a thread in an attempt to get me barred from that meeting?

As for getting off my backside, well, I'm not sure I need to justify myself who thinks that shaking a few hands before sitting down for a dinner is work. If you know the history of how this website became officially involved with the club you would perhaps know that I make a bit of an effort now and again. At the time when things went bad last time around I was in the South on hardly enough money to pay my bills and spend the odd day sat in a pub, so I'm sorry I couldn't join you then. I sent as much money as I could afford, and a bit more.

And if you want to go hug Derek, I wish the pair of you all the best. You deserve each other.

COME ON OLDHAM!

Edited by leeslover

Your post makes no sense and certainly only represents a view you would like to give to others. I was not aware of your meeting date and you only saw me because we had just finished a Board Meeting. I was on my way to another commitment and certainly would not have grunted or objected to being present if I had time. You give yourself too much credit.

Simon did invite fans to examine the books but not you in particular. You where self appointed and took great credit and accolate for what you did. Why I do not know because nothing was really revealed that was not known to fans anyway.

I note your lame excuses for the impotent input you have towards the Trust and the club. Others in similiar positions have made positive efforts to help no matter what their geographical location. It may upset you to know that some of the Trusts greatest critics have rallied this week to help out at a critical stage. It is a shame that at this your only desire is to trade insults and create bad feeling to score points.

Barry

Your post makes no sense and certainly only represents a view you would like to give to others. I was not aware of your meeting date and you only saw me because we had just finished a Board Meeting. I was on my way to another commitment and certainly would not have grunted or objected to being present if I had time. You give yourself too much credit.

Simon did invite fans to examine the books but not you in particular. You where self appointed and took great credit and accolate for what you did. Why I do not know because nothing was really revealed that was not known to fans anyway.

I note your lame excuses for the impotent input you have towards the Trust and the club. Others in similiar positions have made positive efforts to help no matter what their geographical location. It may upset you to know that some of the Trusts greatest critics have rallied this week to help out at a critical stage. It is a shame that at this your only desire is to trade insults and create bad feeling to score points.

Barry

Barry,

A word of advice!!

You cannot get drawn into stuff like this, you need to learn to distance yourself; right or wrong you assume a position within the club that demands an air of professionalism, this clearly isn't professional.

I know you get baited but as they say, that comes with the territory; do yourself and everyone else a favour and stop posting and replying to posts on here. Do it through the official channels, club website or your trust forum like the other 'directors' do, that's professional!!

I can't believe Hardy let's this thing happen!!

No personal grudge here just a wtf everytime you get drawn into it!!!

Two people got a slightly too high sense of their own importance from what they did after the post-Moore events. One is called Barry Owen. The other is called Derek Wilson. No wonder they couldn't get along with each other.

I remember turning up at the Grey Mare at the time of the OMBC protests in support of the BP redevelopment. A petition had been arranged and the idea was for people to collect signatures outside the ground. My son and I had got our clipboard and were outside having a drink when Mr Wilson marched out with mate in tow. For some reason he had hold of a clipboard and shoved it at me muttering something about "....petition :censored:". That lack of respect for others and the club has stayed with me, and I am reminded of it every time I read one of your "pity me" splutterings.

I concur with BB80 and others - the post is spineless, posturing and full of your own self importance.

Barry

Actually.... The OWTB community was actually wanting someone from the board to go and look at the books and get some answers you never really seem to be feel comfortable commenting on. Leeslover stepped forward and did the task and we got more information from him than we have got from you during you entire lifetime on the board. A couple of interesting things did come out of the exercise.

SC made an offer for a fan to come look at the books. A fan took up that offer and is now being ripped into by a board member for taking up that offer. Beggars belief.

And like when you actually give us something of use... he was thanked for it...

Self-Appointed my arse...

Edited by oafc0000

Actually.... The OWTB community was actually wanting someone from the board to go and look at the books and get some answers you never really seem to be feel comfortable commenting on. Leeslover stepped forward and did the task and we got more information from him than we have got from you during you entire lifetime on the board. A couple of interesting things did come out of the exercise.

SC made an offer for a fan to come look at the books. A fan took up that offer and is now being ripped into by a board member for taking up that offer. Beggars belief.

And like when you actually give us something of use... he was thanked for it...

Self-Appointed my arse...

this doesnt happen much but i have to agree with you on this...

and i think mr owen should stay off here for a while before he alienates the rest of the fans,at a time when the fans are indeed greatly needed....

i also believe its not advisable to have a director of the board and also a director of the trust appointed as a fans champion doing the same job....there is always going to be a conflict of interest,and the only people who will invariably miss out are as always the fan.....

not a personal dig barry,but something which i dont believe you can do to the best of your ability in the role....

I take on board what you say Smartz.

Barry

You should do Barry, he speaks sense. PR is, and never was your strong point. Far from it in fact. It's not the position the club finds itself that worries me the most - it's the fact that you're the person expected to take things forward when or if the worst happens.

*shudder*

Well, I am through with arguing with the fool. It only encourages him to think, and to speak, and no good tends to come out of either.

Andy, the thing is, Barry is constantly being asked questions on this forum and he is at least around to answer them. I'm not going to defend his PR skills and he would be the first to admit that is not his strong point. The thing about Barry is that he says it exactly as he sees it. On Friday night, he was lauded by some of his biggest detractors for the posts he made in relation to the current issues at the club. All I saw was Barry being Barry. In the same way, he responds to personal attacks. I don't defend him getting into personal battles with anybody but he is only human, afterall.

Throwing it open, what do people want from Barry? Do you want him here to answer the questions you raise, which means accepting that he also has a right to free speech, as does any member of this forum? Or, do you want him to quit posting, which means having to find other means of getting answers from him? I don't think there is a middle ground. You can't expect him to be around to answer questions but then gag him when personal jibes are flying around.

On another point, I noticed a post this morning asking why Alan Hardy allows it to happen. Directors of the football club are not answerable to one another and neither should they be. In the same way, Trust directors are not answerable to one another and I would never have got involved with the Trust if that were the case. Indeed, Barry will probably not thank me for this post.

Andy, the thing is, Barry is constantly being asked questions on this forum and he is at least around to answer them. I'm not going to defend his PR skills and he would be the first to admit that is not his strong point. The thing about Barry is that he says it exactly as he sees it. On Friday night, he was lauded by some of his biggest detractors for the posts he made in relation to the current issues at the club. All I saw was Barry being Barry. In the same way, he responds to personal attacks. I don't defend him getting into personal battles with anybody but he is only human, afterall.

Throwing it open, what do people want from Barry? Do you want him here to answer the questions you raise, which means accepting that he also has a right to free speech, as does any member of this forum? Or, do you want him to quit posting, which means having to find other means of getting answers from him? I don't think there is a middle ground. You can't expect him to be around to answer questions but then gag him when personal jibes are flying around.

On another point, I noticed a post this morning asking why Alan Hardy allows it to happen. Directors of the football club are not answerable to one another and neither should they be. In the same way, Trust directors are not answerable to one another and I would never have got involved with the Trust if that were the case. Indeed, Barry will probably not thank me for this post.

I'm on record as acknowleging that Barry speaks his mind, Mike. The problem is with what is on his mind. Giving him PR skills would only mask the truth I'm afraid, as it did when he had Inspiral Carpet's hand iup his arse controlling his pronouncements for a year or so. I would love the Trust (which I am even a member of) to be successful, but should I be made to feel bad for doing something outside the Trust just because it makes Barry embarrassed that he didn't do it himself?

Anyway, as I say, I am through with him. He doesn't need my help to make an arse of himself.

Throwing it open, what do people want from Barry?

For him to keep answering questions on here as he has been doing.

To make it more accessible and professional though, how about a thread being put at the top of the board under the 'sticky' threads called 'Club questions for Barry' or along those lines, where when we have a legitimate question to ask regarding the club, Barry does his best to answer the posts when he is able to.

For those fans not on here, i'd suggest a fortnightly blog to be done by Barry updating fans of the latest news regarding the club, or what is ongoing etc so everyone is up to date - set up a blog and then attach the link within the official club newsletters and updates that we get sent out via email and also arrange to have the blogs re-printed fornightly in the Chron so those who are lapsed from the club or 'floaters' will also be kept updated and at least have some form of regular communication via their fans representative.

OK?

God I wish I was able to attend matches. Even if the team was crap and we had no future beyond this year I would still love it if I could watch us play.

Don't take for granted what you have.

God I wish I lived in Australia. This country is crap and we have no future beyond this government I would love to come to the beach and play.

Don't take for granted what you have.

:wink:

Throwing it open, what do people want from Barry?

For him to keep answering questions on here as he has been doing.

To make it more accessible and professional though, how about a thread being put at the top of the board under the 'sticky' threads called 'Club questions for Barry' or along those lines, where when we have a legitimate question to ask regarding the club, Barry does his best to answer the posts when he is able to.

For those fans not on here, i'd suggest a fortnightly blog to be done by Barry updating fans of the latest news regarding the club, or what is ongoing etc so everyone is up to date - set up a blog and then attach the link within the official club newsletters and updates that we get sent out via email and also arrange to have the blogs re-printed fornightly in the Chron so those who are lapsed from the club or 'floaters' will also be kept updated and at least have some form of regular communication via their fans representative.

OK?

That's about as bang on as it can be, there's only a modicum of information that Barry might be able to enlighten us with that we don't already know; there is nothing he can tell us that the club don't want him to tell.

Fire off your questions to a link on the trust site and let him put something together weekly, at the end of the day you're never going to get the answers to the questions that you know he can't answer. This in turn helps him keep face and stops all this baiting and mudslinging, I used to find it quite amusing then I just kinda lost all respect for Barry Owen The Director!! Now I just find the whole thing cringeworthy but hey that's my opinion, the greater majority are for the trust and it's director, that's your opinion and I respect that.