Huddersfield - Latics Post Match Thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread's pretty funny. Not having a go, as you can go on our messageboard and see exactly the same, but the opposite way around.

We were average, but you played well? - We played well, aside from not creating many clear chances. You reduced our threat greatly; the ref reduced it more.

Lee throwing himself to the ground? - Some of the decisions that he didn't get were ridiculous. As he wasn't getting anything he tried to fight back, but was penalised every time he did... if it's a foul on the defender, it's a foul on the attacker. Would he have given a penalty for that shirt pull in the first half?! Either way, you can't criticise Lee and ignore Taylor.

The refs decisions didn't change the match? - you would have had a man sent off for a professional foul had he done his job properly when Lee was dragged down.

Hazell didn't deserve to be booked? - Can't respond. Can only laugh!

We could have had players sent off? - Who?! When?!

You had more than 1900 there? - the two end blocks were cordoned off and the back few rows, that probably accounts for at least 1,000. I was surprised the other areas were 2/3rds full, I estimated you had about 1500 there.

You may disagree, I just find it funny how there are two messageboards being so one sided tonight. I thought we were the better side, generally, but neither side played to their full capabilities, and neither made more than the occassional chance. Overall, it was quite enjoyable, and it's good to actually have some fans in that end... it's bloody grim when Franchise bring their <100.

Good summary of the referee's performance in the M.E.N.

Referee Andy Woolmer had threatened to take centre stage with an erratic display which infuriated both managers.

Seven bookings in a game with barely a bad tackle tells its own story with the Northamptonshire official badly losing the plot.

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think, Gavin. :wink:

It seems the Huddersfield fans have a low opinion of the ref (hardly surprising), Latics and in particular Taylor. I guess they mustn't have fouled anyone or kicked the ball in the air at all then? Not what I saw...

"....almost impossible to play football against 11 cheating scumbags who insist on punting the ball in the air for 90 minutes and hack us to the floor whenever we actually get going. I'm just extremely glad I don't support Oldham.

I am however glad that Chris Taylor got smashed in the second half. His antics today were a disgrace and I'd take no displeasure in seeing him injured for a while."

Read more: http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cg...7#ixzz1DmUjDHoV

It seems the Huddersfield fans have a low opinion of the ref (hardly surprising), Latics and in particular Taylor. I guess they mustn't have fouled anyone or kicked the ball in the air at all then? Not what I saw...

"....almost impossible to play football against 11 cheating scumbags who insist on punting the ball in the air for 90 minutes and hack us to the floor whenever we actually get going. I'm just extremely glad I don't support Oldham.

I am however glad that Chris Taylor got smashed in the second half. His antics today were a disgrace and I'd take no displeasure in seeing him injured for a while."

Go and get a life you inbred :censored:

And why do you lot think £23 is ridiculous? £20 at most stadiums in this league, including your place I think?

Another £3 for a far higher standard day out (I enjoyed the League Above thread :scarf001: ) is hardly unreasonable.

Glad to see your higher standard club have taken a full 1 point off us this season

i know we're biased on here but what game were they watching? yes we played physically but we stopped them from getting the ball to their attackers and had some decent chances ourselves. their only main chances came from freekicks.

when they say we punt the ball up, we did today too much for me but for a team with as much money as huddersfield, you'd expect them to realise that and play it past us on the floor. they didnt, and neither did we. i reckon if one team played it through the defence instead of let the strikers chase it, theyd have got a winner.

taylor does that to everyone, and he got booked for it, like he always does. i'd rather see a player like that up for a derby than just see the game to the end

And why do you lot think £23 is ridiculous? £20 at most stadiums in this league, including your place I think?

Another £3 for a far higher standard day out (I enjoyed the League Above thread :scarf001: ) is hardly unreasonable.

£23 is a little high, think we did charge it for away fans for 1 season which wasn't popular. We'd all love to pay less if we could! Better than the £30 for Leeds!

Both side bits were netted off too. At least 1000 seats that were not available to you...

Fair enough I didn't see the cordons at the side. I didn't understand why the back rows were cordoned off- spreading us out a bit is probably better.

As for the prices- I would rather pay £23 for Hudds' facilities than £20 for some of ours, but since I only paid £14 its even better. I think £20 is a lot to pay for third level football (its probably cheaper to watch Bayern Munchen), but since you get a seat with leg room and cover, have access to a bar and the ground is modern £23 at the Galpharm (or whatever) is by far from the worse rip-off at this level.

I thought Hazell was lucky to stay on too, but a lot of Hudds' fouls looked relatively nasty- from the one in the first minute to the one which forced Taylor off. I'm well aware the play was effectively dead for that one but that doesn't nor should it stop the ref from bringing his cards out.

This thread's pretty funny. Not having a go, as you can go on our messageboard and see exactly the same, but the opposite way around.

We were average, but you played well? - We played well, aside from not creating many clear chances. You reduced our threat greatly; the ref reduced it more.

Lee throwing himself to the ground? - Some of the decisions that he didn't get were ridiculous. As he wasn't getting anything he tried to fight back, but was penalised every time he did... if it's a foul on the defender, it's a foul on the attacker. Would he have given a penalty for that shirt pull in the first half?! Either way, you can't criticise Lee and ignore Taylor.

The refs decisions didn't change the match? - you would have had a man sent off for a professional foul had he done his job properly when Lee was dragged down.

Hazell didn't deserve to be booked? - Can't respond. Can only laugh!

We could have had players sent off? - Who?! When?!

You had more than 1900 there? - the two end blocks were cordoned off and the back few rows, that probably accounts for at least 1,000. I was surprised the other areas were 2/3rds full, I estimated you had about 1500 there.

You may disagree, I just find it funny how there are two messageboards being so one sided tonight. I thought we were the better side, generally, but neither side played to their full capabilities, and neither made more than the occassional chance. Overall, it was quite enjoyable, and it's good to actually have some fans in that end... it's bloody grim when Franchise bring their <100.

I was surprised you kept 5 in midfield all the way through the game bearing in mind you were at home 3rd in the league on form I thought you would have gone for it more.

It was a scrappy game to say the least neither side did enough to win the game and their was a lack of clear cut chances for either team.

1900 felt about right was a few less than in some previous seasons but pretty good when you consider we get 4000 at home.

Alan Lee would have been brilliant in platoon quite happy to give it out to anyone, breath near him and hes rolling around in agony and weve played against him in 2 games and he hasn't had an effort on goal against us so I'm sure your looking forward to Jordan Rhodes returning. For what its worth we all think that Taylor spends too much time writhing around on the floor and complaining to the referee aswell.

Draw was a fair result overall and Huddersfield is usually a good day out as its

A- A decent ground and an example of what could happen to us if our council werent useless plonkers

B- We always take a decent following and create a decent atmosphere.

Thought Alan Lee with his Terry Butcher style bandaged head was very embarrasing throwing himself around all day. I dont think they had a shot on target only a miss placed cross from pilkington that nearly found its way inside amos' near post. poor game really we had a couple of chances just after half time but apart from that not much else, the 2 teams just seemed to cancel each other out. The ref just couldn't help trying to be centre of attention which didn't help anyone. overall its a good point were still 6th and another tough game out of the way.

I was surprised you kept 5 in midfield all the way through the game bearing in mind you were at home 3rd in the league on form I thought you would have gone for it more.

It was a scrappy game to say the least neither side did enough to win the game and their was a lack of clear cut chances for either team.

1900 felt about right was a few less than in some previous seasons but pretty good when you consider we get 4000 at home.

Alan Lee would have been brilliant in platoon quite happy to give it out to anyone, breath near him and hes rolling around in agony and weve played against him in 2 games and he hasn't had an effort on goal against us so I'm sure your looking forward to Jordan Rhodes returning. For what its worth we all think that Taylor spends too much time writhing around on the floor and complaining to the referee aswell.

Draw was a fair result overall and Huddersfield is usually a good day out as its

A- A decent ground and an example of what could happen to us if our council werent useless plonkers

B- We always take a decent following and create a decent atmosphere.

1. We didn't really. We have Peltier covering the defence, Kilbane and Gudjonnson (today Arfield) just ahead, and Pilkington and Roberts behind Lee in attack. It's working okay so far since we're unbeaten since we started with this system. (As soon as we lose we'll switch it all around again and wonder why we're so inconsistent).

2. Is a fair point. Thought we had more of it in the centre, but that's meaningless if we don't create anything.

3. Without being patronising, 1900 is a great following; it's akin to us taking 6-7,000 away, which we haven't done in the league for years.

4. Lee was through on goal until your defender dragged him down. I think if we'd had Rhodes to bring on with 30-40 mins to go, we would have won today, but who knows. If the ref had done his job properly, or Lee hadn't been fouled, I'm fairly sure we would have won anyway.

5. On the balance of chances a draw was fair. We should have made more from our possession.

A- Our council are as useless as yours, we just have enough fans to sustain it (which is good in the short term, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in a better position than us in the long term).

B- You bring a good few and make decent noise. Would be better if anyone other than the nearest block to the Kilner Bank joined in, and you sang anything other than cringey anti-Yorkshire chants.

Well apart from the inevitable infantile insults from the minority that populate fans message boards I think the comments on here are fair enough.

Basically, I thought both teams cancelled each other out but the last thing you need in a closely fought contest is an inconsistent referee and that's what we got. The result being, you never know what will happen next, which you could say is entertaining but in fact becomes frustrating. I know you won't agree but in my view the way Alan Lee was being treated by your defenders it was a surprise you ended the game with eleven men on the pitch.

Some wagg on here commented that we hoofed the ball a lot but that's inevitable when midfield is so competitive, isn't that what Oldham planned to do? - Disrupt our play? There was no time and no space to make it a good game of passing football. As I said on the pre-match thread teams that come with 'a plan' to play with a high back line and squeeze play seem to do well against us and you did exactly that. Not complaining, but before hand you all seemed to think you'd come and attack us, well if you call hoofing the ball up the pitch from the back 'attacking' then yes you did!

If I'm honest I'm not surprised it ended all square because in contrast to some of the high scoring predictions I was half expecting it being very tight. I'm not sure how you'll see this but I thought you looked a lot like Millwall did last season. Dogged in midfield, resolute in defence, very determined and a sprinkling of 'flare' players to do some damage when things open up. You ought to see that as a massive plus because they beat us easily in the play-offs and are now a Championship team that's doing very well up there.

Until next time - Regards

AceT :grin:

1. We didn't really. We have Peltier covering the defence, Kilbane and Gudjonnson (today Arfield) just ahead, and Pilkington and Roberts behind Lee in attack. It's working okay so far since we're unbeaten since we started with this system. (As soon as we lose we'll switch it all around again and wonder why we're so inconsistent).

2. Is a fair point. Thought we had more of it in the centre, but that's meaningless if we don't create anything.

3. Without being patronising, 1900 is a great following; it's akin to us taking 6-7,000 away, which we haven't done in the league for years.

4. Lee was through on goal until your defender dragged him down. I think if we'd had Rhodes to bring on with 30-40 mins to go, we would have won today, but who knows. If the ref had done his job properly, or Lee hadn't been fouled, I'm fairly sure we would have won anyway.

5. On the balance of chances a draw was fair. We should have made more from our possession.

A- Our council are as useless as yours, we just have enough fans to sustain it (which is good in the short term, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in a better position than us in the long term).

B- You bring a good few and make decent noise. Would be better if anyone other than the nearest block to the Kilner Bank joined in, and you sang anything other than cringey anti-Yorkshire chants.

That's a fair enough assessment of the game, I thought the draw was the right result. I wasn't surprised that Hudders lumped it today. We all saw what happened when they played openly at BP, so today's tactics were probably spot on. Although why we decided to match the hoofing I really don't know. We only looked dangerous when we kept it on the floor and used Lee/Morais as the outlet. Other than that, we huffed and puffed really.

Desperately missed Stephens in the middle - Chris Taylor may be a good footballer, but he's no centre mid. He also got yet another yellow for mouthing it off and continued to make me cringe with his amateur dramatics. The award for Best actor in a leading role though has to go to Alan Lee. That lad spent so much time on the floor he had a cauliflower arse by the time he got subbed. Surprised he didn't throw himself to the ground as he ran off.

And 1900 was about right.

Happy with a point, not so happy with the way we didn't play football.

P.S. getting REALLY bored with the "I'm a Bastard" song. A dozen times before kick off alone. Change the record lads......

The stats on sky sports centre say we were not offside once all game, and hudds only the once. Surely that can't be right, but some sort of record if it is true!

Actually Maddog its about right, and also If I remember, I think we only had one corner and that was in the second half...

I'm afraid it's the chant du jour. When you hear fans singing it against Scunthorpe, you know it's probably never going away.

even more so when they sing it against hartlepool and dagenam fans as well!!! geography obviously isnt well up in the schools these days,lol

even more so when they sing it against hartlepool and dagenam fans as well!!! geography obviously isnt well up in the schools these days,lol

i seem to remember some muppets in the Chaddy singing "no surrender to the IRA" years ago.....at the Cardiff fans. :petesake: