21 years ago tonight

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spare a thought for early 80's babies who were conned into being Latics fans on the understanding that this was what it was all about.

My parents refused to let me go the cup season and the promotion season. Yes, I saw us in the premiership, but it was all downhill from that first day when we beat Chelsea 3-0 at home on the first match of the season. God, I still massively resent my parents! How on earth is 10 too young to start going to Latics?! :ranting:

My parents refused to let me go the cup season and the promotion season. Yes, I saw us in the premiership, but it was all downhill from that first day when we beat Chelsea 3-0 at home on the first match of the season. God, I still massively resent my parents! How on earth is 10 too young to start going to Latics?! :ranting:

10 is too young for a girl. :wink:

I can very much relate but suppose I should be thankful that my dad had stopped going to OT, though that soon recommenced in the mid-90's. <_<

Was there that night back of the chaddy singin my heart out "has macari had a bet" "wheres your handbag julien " "were going to wembley twice". One of the best nights ever at boundary park if your to young to of been there times the atmosphere at goodison after maccas goal by ten. amazing night Watched my old vhs copy of this and southampton away only last week still get that same buz even now .

I started some of those songs.

Does your boyfriend know you're here

Where's your handbag Julian

Me and some mates used to stand 3/4 of the way up the Chaddy on the main stand side. What a night it was.

Truly magical.

<!--quoteo(post=469672:date=Feb 14 2011, 22:55 PM:name=peanuts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peanuts @ Feb 14 2011, 22:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=469672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was there that night back of the chaddy singin my heart out "has macari had a bet" "wheres your handbag julien " "were going to wembley twice". One of the best nights ever at boundary park if your to young to of been there times the atmosphere at goodison after maccas goal by ten. amazing night Watched my old vhs copy of this and southampton away only last week still get that same buz even now .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking along similar lines. younger fans today just won't be able to imagine what that night was like.

incredible team, incredible night, incredible atmosphere. will we ever see the like again?

I was in the lookers near the hammers fans. when it got to 4-0 I remember a grizzled, middle aged fella standing up on his seat & dropping his trousers to literally wave his tackle at the pitch.

horrifyingly gruesome & yet hysterical.

:lol: thats hillarious

I missed this match ... I was at work ..... but this match took me to new lows at work ... coffee, bacon sandwich and 0898 121142 ... I rang it so mant times and working in Macclesfield I couldnt have possibly blamed anyone else :o) £48 the bill was ...... worth every penny

One of the best nights in Boundary Park history as goals from Adams, Ritchie, Barrett, Holden, Palmer and Ritchie saw West Ham trounced 6-0.

Would be nice to see again tomorrow.

<a href="

target="_blank">West Ham Goals</a>

West ham goals start at 5.30

I began going in '86 but because of the Custody/Access war between my parents I Had to make do with listening to it on the radio and Midweek Sports Special, (Didn't start going on my own with my mates until the year after), despite only getting to 9 games that season (as a 12 year old) I never felt detached from the wave of surreality surrounding our achievements. Awesome time to be a Latics fan and I would avidly listen to games on my little transistor radio and wangle staying up late to watchMidweek Sports Special Andy Buckley on GMR, Stuart Pyke on 1152, Nick Owen, Elton Welsby and Alan Parry on MSS became like old friends!!!

Despite only going to 9 games that season, that did include the first game at Maine Road and the Littlewoods Cup Final. However there's always been a sense of reality as a Latics fan and I was part of the 4,900 that watched us register our first win of the season at home to Plymouth, a similarly poor crowd against Leicester a few weeks later did little to prepare me for my next game on Boxing Day at home to Port Vale when there were over 11,000 there! I couldn't believe it!!!!

21 years,I'm getting old

Ha! That was what I thought last night Savage when I realised it was 21 years!!

Ad Rick, I must have been stood near you. Always used to stand there cause it was the most raucous place in the ground but was always a bit terrified by the surge down the stand when we scored and the ensuing backward scramble up the concrete as people pushed back. It wasn't too bad when there was room to move your feet but on nights like West Ham and Soton when we were packed in like sardines, it was proper scary for a 14/15 year old! :unsure:

Edited by danoafc

Remember it well, Phil Parkes in goal as Ludo was injured

Top left of as you look at it from the pitch ........... "Has Macari had a bet" timeless.....

Was it Earl who set us on our way or Neil Adams?

Ludo hadn't signed as he was waiting for a work permit thus Parkes had to play to their keeper being recalled back to Palace , may have been different had Miklosko played, but we stuck 3 past him later that season anyway! The keeper they had been using was the on loan Crystal Palace goalkeeper Perry Suckling who had bee recalled. Shame he didn't play as he had conceded 9 at Anfield whilst playing for Palace that year and always had a mare against us!!!!

Edited by oafcprozac

One of the best nights in Boundary Park history as goals from Adams, Ritchie, Barrett, Holden, Palmer and Ritchie saw West Ham trounced 6-0.

Would be nice to see again tomorrow.

<a href="

target="_blank">West Ham Goals</a>

West ham goals start at 5.30

I was living in Hong Kong at the time - well before internet, satellite or cable TV, but a local chanel showed the game ... I stayed up all night to watch, went to bed drunk and happy ... woke up next day and genuinely thought I'd been dreaming .. had to call Oldham to check!!

I was there, in the Chaddy when it was a proper stand.

Two vivid memories are some wag at the back of the Chaddy shouting, "Come on Oldham we can win this!" when we were five up, and consoling ( :wink: ) a couple of West Ham fans in the Grey Mare afterwards - they'd left at half time and wouldn't believe it had finished 6-0!

Cheers Sav, what a night, I went to the 3-0 reverse at Upton Park that year to - in fact got went to and got in to every game in the Littlewoods cup that year! Good times

I also went. We were actually hanging on for grim death. How typical was that!! The end was worth it. Chanting for Royle. Great when, eventually, he came out to give us a quick wave. Brings a tear to the eye.

Happy days.

Long after most people had gone, there were two people still stood in the Chaddy taking in the moment with tears streaming down their faces................Me and Zorrro's dad.

At the return leg, we noticed Joe Royle had took the very unusual step of naming a spare keeper on the bench,and knew we'd be in for a rough time, but we soaked up wave after wave of Hammers attacks, and confidence grew. Best 3-0 defeat. Ever.

My favourite Latics game ever, as soon as Tricky Ricky scored I knew we were at Wembley.

I was stood in the Chaddy that night, it must be hard for many on here to imagine 19,000 inside Boundary Park!!!

As has been mentioned the "Has Macari had a bet?" song was class.

how many could they fit in the Rochdale Road End back then?

We had it for many years recorded on video the saddest thing is I know the exact words for the 1st goal

"he needed it back and he gets it back - OH WHAT A MAGNIFICENT GOAL"