KIeran Lee Signs a new contract

My thoughts exactly. Great news of course but I thought we were desperately skint?

Planning for next season and with not many players signed up Lee's contract extention doesn't take us over whatever budget we've got. Might mean a skinnier squad next season.

We have spent our budget and are totally skint, next season we don't know where or if we'll be playing league football so we get Kieran Lee to sign anoth?????!!!............I'm totally baffled!

This football club does my flamin head in!!!

My thoughts exactly. Great news of course but I thought we were desperately skint?

Planning for next season and with not many players signed up Lee's contract extention doesn't take us over whatever budget we've got. Might mean a skinnier squad next season.

We are not really that skint, we are just pleading poverty to try and get the sympathy vote from those involved with the council and the planning of the new stadium to rush things along.

We have spent our budget and are totally skint, next season we don't know where or if we'll be playing league football so we get Kieran Lee to sign anoth?????!!!............I'm totally baffled!

This football club does my flamin head in!!!

As I said a few weeks ago, more emotional blackmail to provoke a reaction from the fans and council - unless the club know he's already a goner and have given him the year as a token gesture to get the best possible fee for him*? Having met Kieran and spent some time in his company, he is a quiet, unassuming lad that likes playing close to home and is happy at Latics. All will be revealed I suppose…

*Although Armstrong, Hall, Hill etc were all under contracts and went for peanuts, so if other clubs know we are struggling, they will offer sod all...

Edited by oafcprozac

Seems like a statement that despite all the turmoil the club (and some of the players) are not throwing their hands up in despair and gnashing their teeth. They are still working on the basis that , despite all the hurdles, our dear old club will emerge at the other end and that, in the short term, they will do their damndest to be succesful on the pitch.

Seems like a statement that despite all the turmoil the club (and some of the players) are not throwing their hands up in despair and gnashing their teeth. They are still working on the basis that , despite all the hurdles, our dear old club will emerge at the other end and that, in the short term, they will do their damndest to be succesful on the pitch.

Unless, the fees we are getting for Smalley and Taylor will cover any shortfalls for the next few months.

Is there a club take over lurking in the background ?

Is there a club take over lurking in the background ?

I doubt it but stranger things have happened. Giving Lee a new contract now isn't braking the bank as we don't have many players signed up to contracts next season so we still have a budget to play with regardless.

I doubt it but stranger things have happened. Giving Lee a new contract now isn't braking the bank as we don't have many players signed up to contracts next season so we still have a budget to play with regardless.

His salary would have set a benchnak for next seasons budget though Macca.

I envisage a much leaner squad in future.

Edited by BP1960

don't we only have about five of the current squad on contracts for next season at the moment?

i would expect a much smaller squad next year.

signing lee up presumably means we can sell him in the summer if necessary, or he will be one of our tiny squad next season.

right now it doesn't really cost us anything does it?

Edited by Luis Enrique

Confused as most are by this....................but also very happy.

either we have K Lee in our side next season (good news) or we're selling him at the end of the season and now he is on a contract; we can get look to get a 'decent' fee for him & not get shafted in the transfer market (good news too).

Lee has been one of our best performers this season, he is out of contract in June, which means it won't be long before he can go to someone and we get nowt. Maybe we've had sniffings from some local teams, who we know he is more likely to go to thanks to his past history, and to actually make sure we get something we offer him a new deal. We will only be paying him more for 3 months (one of which is May so will only have one game in, and he might not play in that).

Just because we've given him a new contract doesn't mean we aren't skint.