Stiffs - Manchester Senior Cup

Just back from Boundary Park 5-1 to the Latics :) .

Very impressed with the No: 8 David Mellor (ex United I believe).

Holding/defensive midfielder, strong in the tackle, good vision of the game, very good passer and a big lad to boot.

Dickov was there watching the match but went after 30 minutes.

Ryan Brooke could be in the starting line up on Saturday after his brace of goals and very good display.

Ian G.

Just back from Boundary Park 5-1 to the Latics :) .

Very impressed with the No: 8 David Mellor (ex United I believe).

Holding/defensive midfielder, strong in the tackle, good vision of the game, very good passer and a big lad to boot.

Dickov was there watching the match but went after 30 minutes.

Ryan Brooke could be in the starting line up on Saturday after his brace of goals and very good display.

Ian G.

He was on the bench at Swindon and could well get a run out at some point this weekend.

It's amazing to think that Mellor along with McGrath, Brooke, Winchester, Burns, Tarkowski as well as Lowe, Evina, Millar, Bembo, Tounkara (?) are all still in their teens :o

He was on the bench at Swindon and could well get a run out at some point this weekend.

It's amazing to think that Mellor along with McGrath, Brooke, Winchester, Burns, Tarkowski as well as Lowe, Evina, Millar, Bembo, Tounkara (?) are all still in their teens :o

Glad Brookey is scoring and returning back again to full fitness, an horrendous season for him and Bembo, glad they are all doing well

Hopefully, we can continue to support them, keep hold of them and let them mature into something wonderful...oh well I can hope

How did the two lads do who were on trial.

Goalkeeper didnt look to have the physique / confidence to make it in the game to be honest , thats me being cynical and i only stayed for an hour, but thats what i made of him- had little to do to be fair.

by the way did anyone else notice 95 percent of Bury goalkicks the keeper would play it short, the defender would play it back to him and most the time lose possession from there on, it was quite bizzare, i went to the league game last week it was exactly the same thing. no one culd accuse bury reservres of being a long ball team thats for def.

Edited by keep_the_faith

But Wigan are local and are called Athletic too :unsure:

Wigan are not 'local' when it comes to speaking proper like what Oldhamers do. Hence, when copying OAFC, they thought incorrectly that the nickname to adopt was 'The Latics', as wrongly stated repeatedly by the media. OAFC distinguishes itself from pretenders by stating clearly 'We are Latics'.

BTW Athletic Bilbao was founded by Englishmen when the only club called Athletic was OAFC. Athletic Bilbao insists on being referred to as 'Athletic' and it is wrong to call the club Bilbao.

actually its Atletic Bilbao

You couldn't be more wrong. :pow:

The Club was founded by Englishmen, and the Basques are immenseley proud of their English name "Athletic". The Basque Region's efforts to become separate from Spain are well-documented and Athletic Bilbao would never allow its name to be changed to the Spanish 'Atletico', as in Madrid.

Mellor has done well and appears to have a good attitude, he's a big lad and may need similar fitness conditioning to that programmed for Tarkowski.

If a little extra pace can also be added through this conditioning I think he has good future as as long as he continues to work hard.

I liked the look of young Sutherland when he came on as a substitute, he has genuine pace and a terrific work rate - keep it up young man.

The centre back trialist looked foreign, and although quick and sharp tackling didn't dominate in the air for someone his size. However this could be perhaps be put down to the strong swirling wind and he may be worth another look in better conditions.

Edited by BP1960

Mellor has done well and appears to have a good attitude, he's a big lad and may need similar fitness conditioning to that programmed for Tarkowski.

If a little extra pace can also be added through this conditioning I think he has good future as as long as he continues to work hard.

I liked the look of young Sutherland when he came on as a substitute, he has genuine pace and a terrific work rate - keep it up young man.

The centre back trialist looked foreign, and although quick and sharp tackling didn't dominate in the air for someone his size. However this could be perhaps be put down to the strong swirling wind and he may be worth another look in better conditions.

How so? :unsure:

I used to mentor Mellor for his g.c.s.e's when he was at school. Wasn't interested in school...just footy! He's lucky because i think he had a really bad injury. Not sure if Utd would have kept him anyway but i'm glad things are working out for him. Promising young player.

Chris Sutherland is one of my year 11's and has a similar attitude. Hearing very good things about his footy tho.