Your best away victory

Many have mentioned the best away wins, but I think season 1990-91 will always be remembered for a load of fine away victories. I went every game that season besides Swindon away (2-2, midweek).

We can play on grass as well!

Wolves 3-2 - Marshy hattrick... red hot sunny day... a definite feeling of "something's gonna happen this season"... Great Latics away following in that old, crumbling kop... fun and games outside the ground after the game.

Baaaarnsley 1-0 - HUGE away following... red hot again... effin' bogey ground... Marshy header wins the day... "We! Are! Toppatheleague! Say we are top of the league!"

Middlesborough 1-0 - Crammed in the corner open pen... pissed down... Latics not great but won with a stunning Roger Palmer strike from nothing.

Brizzle City 2-1 - Another open away end... Neil Adams!...

Portsmouth 4-1 - Programme notes do Royle's team talk... lovely sunny, crisp day on the south coast... yet another open terrace...

Brighton 2-1 - Stitch's wonder brace... good Latics following... NOBO

Plymouth 2-1 - ANOTHER win on the south coast... ANOTHER open terrace... Mass singalong of James' Sit Down (it was in the charts)...Easter Monday...

Ipswich 2-1 - Super Ian Marshall... Huge Latics away following (including one or two in the home end... Gorgeous sunny day and under cover!.... Pitch invasion... PROMOTION! (Just thinking about this away trip sends tingles up the spine. If only half our fanbase were around to experience it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many have mentioned the best away wins, but I think season 1990-91 will always be remembered for a load of fine away victories. I went every game that season besides Swindon away (2-2, midweek).

We can play on grass as well!

Wolves 3-2 - Marshy hattrick... red hot sunny day... a definite feeling of "something's gonna happen this season"... Great Latics away following in that old, crumbling kop... fun and games outside the ground after the game.

Baaaarnsley 1-0 - HUGE away following... red hot again... effin' bogey ground... Marshy header wins the day... "We! Are! Toppatheleague! Say we are top of the league!"

Middlesborough 1-0 - Crammed in the corner open pen... pissed down... Latics not great but won with a stunning Roger Palmer strike from nothing.

Brizzle City 2-1 - Another open away end... Neil Adams!...

Portsmouth 4-1 - Programme notes do Royle's team talk... lovely sunny, crisp day on the south coast... yet another open terrace...

Brighton 2-1 - Stitch's wonder brace... good Latics following... NOBO

Plymouth 2-1 - ANOTHER win on the south coast... ANOTHER open terrace... Mass singalong of James' Sit Down (it was in the charts)...Easter Monday...

Ipswich 2-1 - Super Ian Marshall... Huge Latics away following (including one or two in the home end... Gorgeous sunny day and under cover!.... Pitch invasion... PROMOTION! (Just thinking about this away trip sends tingles up the spine. If only half our fanbase were around to experience it.

I only went to Port Vale and Notts County away that year - Fookin' Boo!

I only went to Port Vale and Notts County away that year - Fookin' Boo!

I was lucky mate as it was the first season my dad let me travel on the Barlows by myself. I was 14-15 that season. Oh, the excitment of picking up those pastel yellow/green/pink coach slips from Latique on a Friday before an away game.

city away late 80s two backpost free headers from the smallest man on the park tommy wright

Norwich 1980? 3-1 tore them a new arse

liecester 0- 1 1979? Wheres yer hat trick Alan Young my first trip on the latics liner

Blackburn 0-2 simon stainrods debut

wolves 0-3 1990 big daft ians hat trick

that day at Ipswitch 1991

city 1-2 91

qpr 1-4 92 palmer hatrick

wolves 1-3 97 ?

stockort 1-2 2003 eyresy !

forrest 0-2 2007? Dirty Leeds 1-3 handed them thier arses on a plate closley followed by Everton 0-1 super mac !

any win at Tranmere just to watch all the chavy little scousers skulking off

The obvious ones -

Ipswich. 1-2

Bolton FA Cup 0-1

Everton 0-1

Also

Plymouth 1-2 in 90/91

West Ham 2-0 89/90 (1st trip to London)

Bournemouth 0-3 07/08

Notts County away this season was a good laugh as was Dag and Red

If I had to pick one it would be Bolton, because everything was against us, including the weather.

Ah, the day I decided we were going to win the title. Great day, if a long, long way in adverse conditions.

You and me both, Great day that my 30th Birthday great trip back with Chris Taylor's dad, Frankly Mr Shankly etc, etc… so sad we've never really recovered from those heady heights, there's been a couple of peaks but mainly troughs since...

Seen lots of great away victories, but probably the best was at Maine Road in '99 when Gary Kelly saved a Lee Bradbury penalty. Not necessarily for the result as such cos we've always had a decent record at Maine Rd, but for the fact it was something of a comeback game for me after a bit of a crappy time in my personal life, and the start of a renewed love affair with the club.

This ^ for me

Edited by razza699

Sheff Weds after the summer of 03 when we had a patched up team and Shez come back from retirment

Mansfield away under Dowie and ther return of Clyde

Bolton away 94

Leeds away on new years day 08

Both wins at Milwall in past few years, Hughsie hatrick and Tayor last minute goal

Just that one, all the others, despite many fantastic away days, pale into insignificance.

Would you like the match ball? Yes please! It's now safely tucked away at home.

Crikey. Is the match ball signed? I mean, you know, by ALL the squad? :grin:

Just been staring out of the window at work thinking of all the glory days. Here's my top 10 (giving away my age range somewhat)

Ipswich 2-1, 1991

City 4-1, 1988

City 2-1, 1987

Reading 3-2, 1986

Leeds 2-0, 1986

Aston Villa 2-1, 1988

West Ham 1-0, 2003

Sheff U 5-0, 1988

Leeds - 2-1, 1989

Grimsby 2-0, 1983

The 3-2 win at Hull City in the FA Cup. Sheridan with an absolute peach of a free kick.

Also remembered for their racist chanting and David Beresford ripping Dean Holden a new arsehole.

Edited by Butter

That gills game was mad. Rough as toast after the christmas sessions, managing (yet again) to rail through the booze inspectors on the way down then expeiencing many forms of rain i had never known existed. Spent the evening sitting beside an open fire and i was still as wet as an otter's pocket when

The 3-2 win at Hull City in the FA Cup. Sheridan with an absolute peach of a free kick.

Also remembered for their racist chanting and David Beresford ripping Dean Holden a new arsehole.

This was an absolute FA Cup classic. Neither team gave an inch in front of a packed, mainly standing crowd that created a fantastic (racist chanting aside..) atmosphere. Quite a few dodgy characters knocking around too.....