• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone seriously believe Scholes will sign for us?! I'm not even convinced he is a real Latics fan, just has a soft spot for us as his Dad supported us, which is fair enough.

If Scholes was a fanatical Latics fan as some like to imagine, don't you think he might consider now was a good time to spend a bit of the millions he probably has in the bank? either on forgoing the money he could earn at glory seekers plc or in actually investing in the club.......never gonna happen I'm afraid

From Football-rumours.co.uk

"29 May 2011 07:55:03

paul scholes will sign for oldham on the 23rd july and on the same day oldham will announce there new ground"

Yep, and a Unicorn that pisses solid gold will announce it.

worst website of all for rumours makes goal.com look believeable.

fair play to him

but i would hope we would at the very least contact him to sound him out about doing a 12 month stint with us....

He's retired - end of. His coaching at OT will allow him to watch Latics.

We should thank him for generating so many threads on here.

How about a testimonial for Scholesy - Latics vs United and all the proceeds going to help the needy.... i.e. LATICS!!!

He's having a testimonial at OT, which will generate bigger proceeds. Like Niall Quinn, he may donate to his his dad's favourite 'charity'.

How long would it take to give OAFC charitable status?

About 2 seasons the way we're going. :grin:

Or, someone should tell our defence, they way they've defended at times this season some of them already think we're a charity.

Edited by beag_teeets

Thank feck for that. Presumably all those who were so sure he'd come and play for us for feck all will now take their heads outta their arses and sit the feck down. :grin:

And please, let's not now turn it into "Scholes for Latics manager". I very much doubt he'll ever be a manager - I expect he'll coach the United kids and rise through the ranks at United as far as his coaching ability/ambition allows. Then he'll scout for the club, and then maybe one day, like Charlton, he'll be invited onto the board.

I refer to my earlier post, why are so many convinced that he is a latics fan? He has a soft spot for us no doubt but he is United through and through now...isn't he on record as saying that?

Good luck to the guy, fabulous player and a Gent off the field by all accounts but he has no relevance to Latics future. Premier league officials, players and most of the fans have no interest in 3rd division football and are quite happy to see it die.

I have to agree it was never going to happen, just cant see him sat in a changing room away at Hartlepool or Stevenage on a cold Tuesday evening was just not going to happen nor a testimonal, that will be against a Juve or Madrid or something i expect

ets hope the Judas gets a Testimonial against Barcelona then. That'll learn him. Perfect karma. :wink:

I'd love it if he really could arrange some sort of game that would benefit LAtics. Not a testemonial, those immense proceeds reallys hould go to a proper charity, but something to swell the coffers. A LAticsXI v Utd XI type all stars game. Trouble is it needs to be at their place for significant enough funds, can't see Jim agreeing to it though, maybe the CL final defeat and realisation he is yesterdays man might soften him up a bit to allow PS to do it.

EDIT just seen he officially retired, so those links not highlighting seperately mean it is easy tooverlook them

Edited by singe

...like I said, he has a soft spot for us and brings his kids now and then but not sure that makes it "his beloved Oldham" as some like to think in the media and on here.

Part of the problem with the game now is there is little romance, even less loyalty and money is the only driver. The debacle at FIFA and the financial state of most clubs in England are not entirely unconnected....money rules.

Thinking about this, I really hope SC and PD show some imagination and get round to Mr Scholes house with a bottle of something decent and a video of the "pinch me" season and pursuade him to play for us for a season....why the feck not?

I reckon one season of Scholesy would breathe new life into the club on so many levels;

- Guaranteed a few hundred extra season tickets

- Guaranteed that we'd be on TV at the first opportunity next season

- Much greater media coverage generally which would attract more to BP

- Investors may be attracted / encouraged

- We'd be a more attractive loan destination for young strikers / midfielders

- 1 man doesn't make a team but he'd certainly help!!

Pipe dream?...maybe, but remember that Scholes admitted he had made a mistake retiring from England and Capello's attempt to change his mind came too late....in other words SC and PD, get the hell round there tonight or at least tell the media that we want him and he could help save the club

Could the club officials finally put this one to bed once and for all -

1. Have we ever approached Paul Scholes asking him to play for us?

2. If not then why not?

3. If yes then obviously it didn't appeal to him for whatever reason and he's doing his but by paying through the turnstiles for him, his dad and his kids and we can finally - and I mean finally - move on!

The "did we or didn't we" will eat away at some as infinitum until the truth is out.

Come on Barry, spill the beans :wink:

But he's retired. He has said he wants to stop playing. He's apparently being lined up as joint reserve coach. Even if he changes his mind on playing, he couldn't play for us and work for Man Utd.

He's not coming.

The point is we couldn't "tap him up" when he was a plyer but now he is just a coach, employed by ManU...he can do what he damn well likes...he is held in uch high respect that he could almost ceratinly cut a deal with Manu to hold a position open for him for a year or 2.